Chapter 3

Lightless

 

"Neh, hyung I'm coming home! Don't be surprised or anything!" The man hung up from the conversation then beamed at me, turning the ignition on. The car sounded as if it was going to be entered into a race. 
"Aja!" 
We arrived at an apartment complex moments later. He guided me into a building and kept on smiling, nodding his head. This act was getting really irritating but I understand that he was trying to comfort me, that was all there was to do. 
"We're here." He said while opening the door for me and into his huge apartment. The first object that bombarded my line of sight was the giant plasma TV airing a soccer game.
"YANG YOSEOB! WHAT TOOK YOU SO LONG?!" A voice bellowed from the living room and rang into my ears.
Well, isn't this is a nice way to spend my parent's special day? 
"Sorry I was doing something," the man that was claimed to be, Yang Yoseob, hung his jacket upon a coat rack behind me. He trailed into the kitchen, returning to me with a glass of water. Oh, how I haven't seen water this clean since. Since one rude lady spit a mouthful of her water on me because she was laughing at my pathetic state. 
I chugged the glass down almost immediately. The coldness refreshed my senses and awaken them into consciousness. I really itched for another glass but I had to retain myself. 
"Yang Yoseob.." I repeated. It sounded foreign on my tongue, yet it had some traces of familiarity. 
Some of the features of his face appealed to me in certain ways, creating a bit of déjà vu, but I just couldn't recall his presence. 
"Hyung, change the channel! Pahli!" Yoseob created a distraction and handed me a stack of clothes. Not to be picky, but none of them seemed to be feminine. 
"There's a shower over there and dress into these." He whispered. I eventually walked in the direction his finger pointed off to and locked the door. 
"Oh, hyung! Did you get pizza?" A groggy voice called from down the hall. The voice was high pitched but still identifiable to be a man's. 
"Whoops! I told you I had something to do, so you get it." 
I cranked the shower knob to be scorching hot. I really need to rid of this stench and filth. 
"Who's in the bathroom!? I need to pee! Dongwoon, what are you doing taking a shower at night?!" A deep voice yelled at me through the door and something pounding against a wall.
What an idiot. Is he a vampire because its clearly bright outside? 
"I'm not Dongwoon," I hummed to myself, washing my hair with the provided shampoo. The steaming water was painful yet very refreshing to my pores. They were now open and all the dirt I have collected throughout the years swished down the drain. It reminded me of my life somehow. How it all went downhill, in a brief second. 
"Hyung, I'm right here!" Another voice was talking which I suppose was the man he mentioned. Why were there so many men in one apartment? Not like its my business anyways. 
I threw the large shirt over the sweatpants that was given to me. I seemed to loss an incredible amount of weight since my arms and legs were scrawny. Hunger was a killer. 
A few moments later, after examining myself, I peeked out the door to check if it was safe for me to exit. 
"Sir? Psst!" I called for him quietly before he appeared before my eyes. 
"Uh, hurry! Stay in my room for now," the man led me to a room and hurriedly shoved me through one of the doors some hallway. 
"I'll be right back, just stay quiet." He made a sign with his hand then left me to sit with the silence. I haven't heard such peacefulness since I was living with my parents. Our environment was surrounded yet bordered with defensing fields and towers of trees. My father would always tell me that those trees were our guards for safety and happiness. That's why I decided to live in the country with my children. If I have children. 
I wandered throughout his room, observing his messy desk and the top of his dresser was in ruckus too. I noticed a picture hung high above. It was him and some elder lady smiling next to him.
Maybe his grandmother? 
Moments later I heard footsteps make their way to the door. I thought quickly and hid under his bed. 
"Yeah, I'm doing the laundry now," the high-pitched voice had returned, beginning to remove his clothing off of the floor. Piece by piece. Inching so close to the bed. So close to being discovered. 
Please, don't. 
"Yah, I'm coming!" Footsteps trailed to the door then descended down the hallway, away from this room. I stood up, banged my head on the rack above me, and noticed I was still under the bed. I muffled by groan then slipped out from under the bed once the swelling had halted. 
I searched for anything that I could use to defend myself if anyone comes in again. Behind his desk, a bulky object laid, shadowed, concealed. I carefully stepped closer to it, in case if it was an animal that would leap out and claw at me. One position displayed what it truly was; a baseball bat. 
can sock someone's head. Hehe. 
The door opened again, slower this time, and the same man came in.
"Evie, what are you doing?" Yoseob inquired. "Put that down, that was when I used to play." 
"It's self-defense. What if one of those guys come in here, notices that I'm a young girl, then tries to do something? What if you were like that?" Hands on hips, I leaned on my left foot, waiting for his response. 
There was a brief silence, the air conditioner being the only noise I could hear besides the ruckus of the others. They must really be entertained by soccer. 
"What are you talking about?" 
"Never mind. Anyways, why am I here?" 
Yoseob shut the door behind him, creating a protective barrier between us and whoever wandered outside. 
"I know you, I just do. You have to trust me on this." 
"Yeah, okay." I walked passed him. "I'm just going to leave you and your mental mind alone."
I was about to placed my hand on the doorknob but a mass force pinned me against the door before I even had the chance to escape. 
"Do you really want to live out there? This is the best thing that probably ever happened to you." 
I pushed his hands away from my head, then slithering out away from him. What did he think he was doing?
"Can I just go to sleep?"