Chapter 6

Lightless
 
 
 
 
 
"Where you going, Joon?" Yoseob asked for me. Could he read my mind? 
"I'm going to go get some fo-"
"Can I come?" I exclaimed in hope.
Please, please let me go.
Take me with you, I want to escape this dorm, this life that I lived hidden, shadowed, veild away from the world. I wanted to live a life that entitled me with independence and freedom, I didn't have to live with any guy to provide everything for me. At least, I want to have a career that I could use it's income to pay for my house and my own food. 
"Sure, it won't hurt her right?" Joon asked Yoseob. He glanced between the both of us, his features displaying worry and fear. 
"Joon won't do anything, I'll beat him up!" Yoseob placed a finger on his chin and pondered until he had his final answer. 
"Sure." I embraced Yoseob and Joon into a giant hug and jumped until they yelled at me to release them before they threw up. 
Joon and I linked arms, he was guiding me through Yoseob's door and to the main entrance.
We're- I'm- so close to feeling that crisp wind blow roughly against the hairs on my arms, I could taste it too. 
He left the door ajar for me, I easily slipped between the space he left open and shut it soundlessly behind us. We had to take the elevator down to the first floor, which added an awkward aura around us both.  As soon as those steel doors split, I made a dash for it. I suddenly forgot that Joon was far beyond, standing in the dust I made between my feet and the dirt bellow me. I didn't have time to think about him, about boys, about anything to be exact, I was so engrossed with the feeling of freedom that I thought I didn't need anybody. That I could live alone, just like I did all these years of my life. The past seemed so hollow, filled with no improvement, nothing of progress. I was just space to fill, I had no purpose in life. I had no parents, money, house, relationship, children, a career, I couldn't do anything, I had nothing. Yoseob was probably the most living event in my life. 
I heard Joon screaming behind me but I couldn't hear what he said. I was standing in the middle of the street, pondering to myself as I skidded to a halt. I was on the right side of the street, there were no cars on the lane I'm on, but on the opposite lane the car was swerving. The driver seemed drunk. 
"EVIE, WATCH OUT!" I heard Joon scream before something hard crashed against me. I knew I was lying on the ground, I couldn't see anything. It was like as if someone pulled a blindfold over me. I let my head drop onto the asphalt, gradually humming into the darkness. 
 
I could hear a gentle voice singing in the distance. The feeling of terror wracked through my limbs, making them tremble with the pace of footsteps. I was walking down a dark and unlit corridor. Some substance was spread over the walls, giving them an eerie feel. For a second, I had the thought of touching them, but I discarded it and continued down the corridor. 
The singing turned out to be humming and at the hall, a shadowed figure was waiting for my arrival. It was a girl, by the way her shoulders were slouched and the lengthy hair gave the most obvious clue. She raised her head in under a millisecond, her face was pale, I could almost say it was white. Did she have no blood to warm her? Her eyes were bloodshot and dark circles bagged them. Her irises matched her pupils; pitch black. 
The girl mumbled incoherent words that I couldn't hear, but when I glanced at , she had razor-like teeth. 
'You're not afraid, Evie,' I told myself over and over to calm my pounding heart. I wasn't afraid, I was horrified. It felt like I'm the main character of a horror movie. 
She commenced to speak under her breath but I caught her words: "Run. He's coming." 
 
I woke up, feeling my arms and legs, searching around the environment to reassure myself that I was nowhere near that demonic girl. 
"Evie!" I heard someone screech then wrapping their arms firm around my body. I felt safe there. When that someone pulled away, I searched the face of the owner of the hands; Joon. 
What's happening to me?! I'm okay.. Just breathe. 
I reminded myself not to get my heart working frantically again. 
"Joon," I breathed. 
"Evie, are you alright?! You almost died!" I glanced at his face, expecting to see that girl again, but I only saw his sharp features. I sighed in relief, scanning his face, eyes, lips. It was him, not her.
"My head hurts," I said, rubbing my head to lessen the pressure. I swore all the gravity on the Earth pressed down on me, my head more specifically. The bobble heads couldn't be compared to how dreadful my head felt. 
Joon's hands grabbed around my head to check for any injuries. Could've it just been the nightmare that gave me a headache? 
"You're fine, but you shouldn't wander carelessly!" He yelled at me. His eyes contained concern, but what I saw was much more powerful than that; great vexation. 
I lowered my head so I wouldn't have to witness him shouting down at me, it reminded the way how my boyfriend and I used to fight. It hurt to think of him, just now. I've been fine other times, but now, warm tears trickled down my cheeks. How can I be so weak over something as simple as that? I hated myself for crying. I despised it, no one would take me seriously, they would think I'm trying to be the center of attention. Was I thought that low of? 
Stop crying, you're not weak, Evie. 
"Evie?" Joon called. 
"What?!" I snapped, I couldn't control anything; my trembling hands, my thoughts, my heart, my feelings. 
"Look at me." I boldly lifted my head to face him, his tears. He didn't have an excuse to weeping, he should be the last one crying. He never went through what I have, he could never experience the events that happened in my life because he was wealthy, he could just purchase another mother, or father to their likings. To be honest, he couldn't care less if my life was ended or not. 
"Why are you crying? You don't even know me," I said, muffling my jagged breaths. 
"Who said I was crying? Even though that's true, I still care for you." 
"You're rich, you don't need to care for people, you just throw money at them." I decided to say it calmly as I shakily rose to my feet, with Joon's guidance. 
"I'm not rich. Why would you think that?" 
"Because you and Yoseob are handsome! Did you see Yoseob's car?" 
"Handsome? Was that an indirect confession?" 
I pushed his head- that was on my shoulder- away, "Shut up."
"Admit it! Your heart beats for me! Joon the Great!" I couldn't help but laugh at his confidence and arrogance. I didn't want to be rude, yet I couldn't contain myself. I brought my palms to my face to swab the tears away. 
"Wow, you should be a comedian!" I ran my hand under my runny nose. 
"Do you still want to be outside?" He said, wrapping his arm around my shoulder. I thought it was a friendly gesture rather than being a romantic, couple one.
"Can we have ice cream?" I asked like a little child.
Ice cream has been in my life ever since the first time I had tried it, I fell in love with it to the point I could devour the whole pail. It was a habit- out of many- of mine that I couldn't break. 
"Sure, I know a good place." He sent one of his signature smiles at me. I don't why, I don't have interest in him in any way, shape, or form, but my stomach flip-flopped when he pulled me closer. His heat devoured over me, hypnotizing me into a trance of wonder and amazement that I was too focused in to notice him stealing glances down from me. 
We were walking down the street, navigating around small children, dogs, randomly placed trees, and corners, until we reached a small shop. It was too small to be noticed by drivers, but it was big enough to hold several pairs of tables. 
"Hello!" We greeted the shop lady. She was about fifty-years old, due to the evidence of her wrinkles and the gray streaks in her hair, yet she was pretty, with black hair contouring the grays, and bright hazel eyes that gleamed with rejoice.
"Welcome, please sit anywhere you'd like," she gestured to the tables.
"Thank you," Joon and I said in unison. He led me to the table on the far wall, right next to the window. 
Joon pulled my chair out for me to sit, I stepped through the space to the chair, and he tucked me into the table. He took his seat across from me. 
When did he become a gentleman?
I snickered because that was not my first impression on him.
"Hello, welcome to the Ice Palace, how may I serve you tonight?" Another middle-aged woman greeted us with a grin. She was tightly holding a notepad close to her, with the pen hanging on the strap of her apron. 
"What would you like?" Joon whispered to me.
"May I have cookies and cream, please?" I asked innocently. It was my favorite flavor. 
"And for the handsome man?" She turned her attention towards Joon once she finished scribbling down on her notepad. 
"I'll have the same." 
"Okay, your orders will be out very shortly." She finally left us alone. 
I glanced around the parlor and realized we were the only customers in here. Was there simply no business? 
I turned back to Joon after I thought it was impolite for my eyes to wander around. He placed his hands atop of mine, smiling sweetly at me. 
"I've always wanted to go on an ice cream date."
'What?!' I kicked him under the table and returned his grin. 
"Ow! What was that for?" He screamed, hugging his shin. 
"When did you come up with the idea of a date? Am I cheap-looking to you?!" I snapped. I crossed my arms over my chest and sunk a bit into my chair. 
"Jeez, women like you are crazy!" 
"I'm crazy? You were the one making the move on a person you didn't even know!"
"Every heard of teasing?" 
"Not like yours! That was almost ra-" 
The waitress had settled our orders on the steel table and bowed, implying for us to enjoy our meal. 
"Well, you're paying," I stated before I scooped a spoonful of ice cream and brought it to my mouth. 
"What? No!" 
"W-what? No?" I repeated in sarcasm. "This is a date, and the men always pay." I fired back words so I could make him just the slightest irritated, which to my avail, worked. He just jolted out of his chair, pointing an accusing finger at me.
"But you said this wasn't a date!" Joon exclaimed for the whole restaurant to hear. 
"How could I if I'm just a poor little girl?" Displaying my puppy-dog eyes aided me. 
Joon slumped in his chair, angrily shoving spoonful after spoonful of ice cream into his mouth. Without my consent, my hand fell upon his which halted to what he was actioning. 
"Evie.." He gazed into my eyes, I stared back into his that filled with admiration, but I didn't realize a smirk was forming on his thin lips. "You fell for me already, didn't you?" He said, tilting his chin up. 
"No! Why would I?! You were about to suffocate yourself from all that ice cream you're vacuuming! You should be thankful that I saved your life!" 
"Ah, already starting with the excuses." That sentence earned him another pelt of my foot into his shin. He clenched his teeth on the both of his lips from the amount of pain, he must've drew blood because I observed how he lessened the pressure on his lips. 
I scoffed, "now you have a busted lip too. See what you did." 
"It was your fault!" He pointed his index finger in my direction. Nobody points at me, I found it more offensive than intriguing. 
"If you want to keep your finger," I paused as I rose my head so my eyes would meet his. "I suggest you wouldn't do that again. Now, keep it down or the elder will be sweeping us out of here." 
A few minutes later, once the ice cream was beginning to melt, Joon and I finally negotiated that we would pay together. The final bill was ten-ninety-six. I had a five dollar bill on me so he had to pay the rest off. He appeared to be rich enough to purchase his own cup of ice cream. 
"Ready to go home?" 
"Yeah, thanks for taking me out. I really appreciate it,
Joonie." I hooked my arm with his, leaning my head against his arm. 
"Joonie?" 
"Joon.." I coughed. "I said Joon, get your hearing straight." I whacked him slightly on the back of his head.
"No, I'm pretty sure you said Joonie Oppa," he mocked. "Joonie, Joonie Oppa.. I can get used to it." He smiled teasingly down at me which caused me to beam even brighter than him. 
"Do you think something's up with Yoseob?" I asked, stopping before entering the building where his apartment was located. "Remember when we were messing around, he seemed really upset." 
"I noticed that too. You should greet him happily, you know, giving him kisses or whatever you two do." 
"Yah, I'm not his girlfriend!" I slapped his head causing his hair to stand. It took him a moment to figure out what I was laughing about but once he did he playfully pushed me into the elevator. 
"I think he likes you," Joon stated as he pressed the button to the fourteenth floor. 
"And how do you possibly know that?" 
"The way he looks at you. His eyes light up like a kid's when they get presents." 
"So I'm just appealing because of my looks?" I scoffed, jabbing my thumb onto the same button he pressed. "That's nice." 
"Not that way, like in an admiring way." 
I scoffed again, continuing pressing the button until the doors separated to allow us to arrive at the dorm. Why would Yoseob have interest in a peasant such as myself? I wasn't perfect, at least not to society's standards. Too large of hips, slim waists and thighs, I was hideous, unless he only cared about my personality.
The both of us sprinted down the hallway, Joon thought that he could outrun me, but as a result of my lighter weight, I won. I did multiple rounds of victory dances to boast in his face. 
Joon opened the door, allowing me to step in first like the gentleman he wasn't. The ruckus of hyena laughs and booming voices didn't fill the house like usual. It was odd. 
"Yoseob?" Joon called out. He passed by me, checking into the bedrooms and doors down the hallway. I decided to stay near the front just in case that girl popped out of nowhere. 
"Joon, where's Evie?" 
"I'm here Seobie." I said.
Not again.. 
What is with the nicknames? I don't like them, no.
Yoseob, dressed in a pair of beige pants and a white graphic shirt, walked slowly towards me as if I was to lurch forward. 
"Evie, how was ice cream?" 
"It was so good! That's my new favorite place!" I exclaimed with hand gestures. Yoseob had that glint in his eyes just like Joon had told me. 
Joon's phone rang, it was a text message. His rapid fingers tapped against the screen, then he said, "I have to take this, I'll be right back." 
He stepped out of the dorm to answer- I suppose- the person who was texting him. The only people that were in the building was Yoseob and I.