Chapter 14

Lightless

"Get away from him," she focused her piercing gaze on me. I felt like a tiny pebble that could be kicked and tossed around. I did as she was told, heaving myself under the bulky instrument, throwing my body to the floor where I bowed to her; trying to display all of my honor that I've experienced towards her. I knew off the bat that she found me anything but enticing for her son, due to the way she spat her words out. 
"Come here," she motioned Yoseob. He boldly raised his chin to her, disrespecting her more than he already had by being with me. 
The woman slapped him in the face. By first glance, she appeared weak and wouldn't be able to lift a ten pound bag of rice, but she stole the wind out of Yoseob, him collapsing to the floor. She continued to pelt him with her foot in his ribcage, where he was most sensitive. Cries of agony shot out through him, internally shaking my organs. As she continued to abuse him with even more force this time, I padded on my hands and knees to the boy that laid motionless, and resulted getting injured as well; she kneed me in the cheek. 
"What do you have to say for yourself?" Her foot was stepping on his head that was turned sideways, his eyes glimmering with tears. Our eyes met. 
"She's nothing to me, she's homeless. It was out of the pity of my heart." His tears trailed down his cheeks then falling silently to the wooded floors. It was almost as silently as my heart being shredded, torn, thrown into a pit of flames where it was incinerated and never to be missed. 
"Then what is she still doing here?"
Yoseob continued to sob to himself, but his pain couldn't compare with mine. At least he had a mother who was trying to give him the best, and a place to live. "She wouldn't leave."
"Is that what you want me to do?" I inquired directly towards him. To the man that broke my heart again after we promised he wouldn't, I hated him. "You were planning to toss me away just like my family?"
"Look at you, trying to make him feel guilty. The Yangs feel nothing of that. It probably would've been best if you never met." She was attempting to spare my feelings, I thought of it. Rich people don't favor peasents and they never will. 
I forced myself to my feet where I felt much stronger than before. I wasn't going to use my strength, but my voice. Words will hurt him, despite the saying. 
"I knew you were going to be like this, that's why I didn't love you. I never will, so Mrs. Yang, I'm sorry for troubling you, I will make sure that I'll never meet your son again."
"Is that so?"
I gritted my teeth and managed to say, "Even if it would save me from hell."
I sprinted. Wherever my legs took me, that was where I was bound to be at for the rest of my life. I wasn't going to trap myself in a mistake again. The city passed by in one watery blur, but I didn't glance around every time I made a sharp turn, I kept my head down to avoid the stares of the pedestrians. I didn't care about him anymore once fury rose and bubbled me up. I despised him. 
I never loved him, I argued with myself.
You knew this was going to happen so why are you crying?
It was too good to be true.
Never trust people.
You were always dim.

No opportunities changed me.
I am lightless.