It's a Friend Game

Black Out: It's My Clean Slate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's a Friend Game

"But yeah..."  she said, as she took a deep breath in, catching her breath from talking.  She reached out to pick up her laptop again, placed it on her lap, and started to check her e-mails.

"So, what's his name?"  I asked, as I fidgeted with my fingers, changing my glance from her screen to her face, and back to the screen... back to her face.

"Not Henry, that's for sure."  she said with a scoff.

"Well, I got that..."  I said with a chuckle.  "You're all about teasing me today, aren't you?"  I said as I poked her shoulder.  She just smirked and kept her eyes on the screen.  "So, how do you know Henry?"  I asked, seeing as she had no intention of answering my first question.

"Like I said, I don't know him.  I just know of him, and well... most everyone here knows me."  she explained.

"Uh huh...?"  I said, with a tone in my voice that spelled 'go on...'.

"So, that's how he knows of me.  How do I know of him?  He's a child star and known as one of the most musically talented rookies in K-pop at the moment.  He plays almost every single instrument, literally.  He's admirable."

"Just like you."  I said.

"No.  I'm not admirable.  I'm just Jessica's sister.  That's it, and it's shameful that they pretty much have us in the same categories.  I'm talentless compared to Henry."

"No one could ever write the things you write, Krys... and -- and what's the point of playing the instruments when you have no muse, no inspiration?"  I defended her.

"Amber..."  she said, as she turned to look at me with a raised eyebrow and a smirk.  "... you've only but read one thing I've written."

"Yeah, and it was amazing... let me read more."

"As if..."  she said with a small giggle, as she started to shut things off on her computer.

"You know I'm right."

"I know that you're being nice."  she said.

"I'm not just being nice.  I'm serious, Krys... you should write a song sometime."  I encouraged her.

"I can't do that..."  she said, lowering her gaze slowly.

"Why not?"

"Because!  Then all of my personal thoughts and feelings would be out in the open, exposed to the public."  she explained.

"It doesn't have to be about your feelings."

"Then, what else am I going to write about?  That's really all I write about, and I can't exactly fake feelings to write about them..."  she explained.

"Well, I mean, would it bother you to let people know about... the guy you're crushing on right now, for example?"  she paused for a few seconds before giving me an answer.

"... I don't know."  she shrugged as she looked away to the side.  She closed up her laptop and placed it on the floor again in front of us.  Took a moment to look back at me.  "Are you going to sleep anytime soon?"  she asked.

"I'm not sleepy, but I know we have a long day tomorrow.  So, I probably should go to sleep, but I probably won't."  I chuckled.  She smiled at me softly.

"Yeah, same here..."  she said as she bit her bottom lip and shifted her gaze downward.  For some reason, there was still this awkward tension between us that lingered from the kiss.  We couldn't shake it off somehow.  No matter how 'fun' or 'for practice' she kept saying it was, for some reason... it just didn't feel like that at all.

"So, how have you been feeling about... you know... since the plane ride...?"  she wondered.

"... I don't know what you're talking about exactly."  I did know.  I just didn't want to talk about it anymore.  Why does she keep bringing this up?  And right after we just 'kissed'.

"I just -- I'm worried, you know?  It's kind of a lot to take in -- coming to a foreign country, not knowing the language, not knowing anyone, and then still sort of getting over that... I'm just checking up on you.  If something happens to you, then, who's going to serve the princess?"  she said jokingly, trying to lighten up the topic.

"Princess, I'm fine.  Really... you don't have to worry about the Llama.  Plus... I already sort of like someone."

"Henry!"  she whispered loudly, as she poked my cheek.

"Oh my gosh!  No."  I whispered back just as loud.

"Quiet" - Lights
 

Krystal seriously had no trouble taking my breath away, occupying endless, and endless spaces in my mind, and intriguing me with every single word that would slip out of her lips.  Getting to talk with her at the end of the day is really one of the most comforting feelings I've had in a while.  Just our whole vibe feels so right.  I could literally talk with her for hours, for days... about anything.  The most trivial conversations with her, no matter how meaningless or simple, were always so special.  I haven't felt so secure with someone in a while.  Even if we don't belong to each other, it feels like she'd never leave, she'd never go anywhere far from me.  With every new girl I met after Soyeon, there was always a feeling of unease, uncertainty -- even when there was that notion of 'belonging to each other' in some way, I could always and would always snap at any given moment.  Not that I might not snap again... but with Krystal, it never feels like I will.  Just the way she looks at me, it soothes me... but if only I could have kept it at gazes.  Our lips are now also involved... it's no longer just our eyes.  So, it seems that this just complicates things a bit more... Of course, just for me.  Maybe I should just tell her... tell her how she makes me feel.

"Well, tell me then."  she said, as she leaned her back on the wall, her head slightly tilted towards my shoulder.  I turned in her direction and looked down at her, our foreheads nearly touching.  She shifted her eyes upwards to meet mine, stared at me for a second, and then gave me a quick smile.  I smiled back lightly.

"Soojungie..."  I said, almost in a sigh and with the words hanging from the tip of my tongue.

"Hm?"  she said, with a curious look.

"... It's just a silly crush."  I said as I turned to look forward, a defeated look on my face.

I'm such a .

"Definitely not Henry?"  she asked. 

"Definitely not Henry."  I said with a light laugh.

"Yeah... I think mine's a silly crush, too."  she said.

"Yet, you still want your first kiss to be perfect with him?"  I asked, a bit of jealousy mixed into my comment.

"I just want my first kiss to be perfect, period.  No matter with who.  So, if it's with him... or with anyone else, as long as it's perfect."  she explained.

"I thought you didn't want cliché love stories, what does it matter if it's perfect or not?"  I said.

"Just because something's perfect doesn't mean it's cliché."  she refuted.

"Touché."  I said.  

"You want to watch 'Office Space' tomorrow after practice?"  she asked as if trying to change the subject.  I wanted to know more about this 'guy', but it didn't seem like she wanted to delve into it.

"I thought you said you've seen it already."

"I did, 'but it's still hella funny'."  she said, imitating my voice.

"I do not sound like that."

"You totally do."  she said with a chuckle.  "You say 'hella' all the time."

"Hey, reppin' L.A. all day, ere'day."  I said, trying to sound cool.

"You know, the more bad- you try to sound, is the cuter you come out as."  she said.

"Nu uh... stop teasing."  I said with a chuckle, nudging her thigh lightly with my hand.
 
"Awww, but it's true..."  she said in a teasing tone, poking my cheek again.  I felt my face blush.

"Umm... soo... same time?"  I quickly asked, trying to change the subject, getting nervous.

"Sure.  Same place?"  she asked, as she started to get up.  My eyes turned to watch her at every second, following her every movement.

"Yeah, sounds good, and maybe you can tell me a little bit more about your crush."  I said.  Not that I really wanted to know, but I'm her friend, right?  Friends are supposed to talk about these things, and I wanted her to be able to confide these kinds of things in me.  Right?

"Why don't we watch it in your room?  Maybe we can invite Sulli and Luna."  she suggested.  Wait, but that means it won't just be me and her alone.  It doesn't matter.  She's my friend.  We're all friends.  So, this is how it should be...

"Yeah, I can dig.  Maybe we should invite Victoria when we see her at practice tomorrow, too."  I said.  She stood up and leaned on the door, as she opened it lightly.  She looked pensive as she gazed upwards, then gazed back down at me.

"I don't know.  I don't think she'll be interested in hanging out with us.  She's much older, you know?"  she explained.

"Yeah, about that -- how come I never see her around the dorms?"  I asked.

"Yeah, that's what I'm saying.  She doesn't even stay here.  She has her own place.  She's already past training.  So, she's basically just going to train with us to learn the choreo."  she explained.

"Ah... I see."

"So... can I have my pillow back?"  she asked.  I was still sitting on it, staring at her like a , mesmerized.  I had forgotten we were already going to bed.  I don't know why, I was thinking for some reason that she and I could just stay here in the hallway, fall asleep with her head on my shoulder... run into the sunset together holding hands, and all of that corny stuff.  Sheesh, what's wrong with me? 

"Oh yeah, yeah.  Sorry."  I said, as I quickly got up pulling the pillow from underneath me, and handing it to her.

"Well... night, servant."  she said, as she started to enter her room, closing the door slowly.

"Sleep well, princess."  I said as I watched her shut the door behind her.  I felt like a lost puppy.  Like... what the hell was that?  That's it?  She just left so suddenly.  I mean, probably not suddenly for her, but for me... considering what just happened... I feel so shut down.  So, thirsty... so, so, so thirsty.  I bit my bottom lip harshly, as I my hair back with both hands, and let out a sigh of frustration.  I started to walk back to my room.  As I opened the door of my dorm room, I took the phone out of my pocket to notice the time.  11:43 PM.  "I have to be up by seven in the morning.   my life."  I said to myself as I walked into the room.  Luna was fast asleep, and the room was dark as hell.  I ninja'd my way into my bed, wide eyes and tippy toes.  I threw myself on my bed face up, with one hand on my forehead, and the other on my tummy.  

I sighed.

Flashbacks of the feel of her lips invaded my mind.  "I kissed her.  I kissed Krystal Jung."  I whispered softly to myself, as I my side with a shy grin on my face, that slowly turned into a bubbly giggle.  I curled up into a ball, feeling like such a chick.  

 

 

The next day, I woke up a bit more rested than yesterday morning.  Second night of normal sleep.  Considering the jetlag, I feel pretty damn good.  So, getting out of bed wasn't that much of a drag.  Luna was actually waking up at the same time as me, so we went to the bathroom together.  Krystal and Sulli seemed to have had the same idea.

"Morning!"  said Luna as we entered the bathroom to find them both there.  Luna, extremely jittery, as always.

"Hey, guys."  I said with a yawn, as I leaned into the sink to brush my teeth.  Sulli smiled at everyone with a sleepy nod, Krystal and I probably kept her up last night with our chatter outside the door.

"Good morning.  Hey, did you guys read our schedule yet?"  Krystal asked.

"I skimmed over it, but I don't really remember."  I said.

"The first thing we have is a class at 9:00 AM, Principles of Exercising."  said Krystal.

"Sweet, sounds like my kind of class!"  I said excitedly, with my mouth full of toothpaste foam.

"At least it's not dancing."  mumbled Sulli.  

"No singing?"  asked Luna, slightly disappointed.  

"I think the singing classes are more towards the evening.  We'll be practicing some dance moves right after the exercise class.  The exercise class is more about getting warmed up, and how to warm up, and stuff like that."  Krystal explained.

"Sure pays off to have our very own little insider in the group, huh?  You know, with you knowing everything from your big sis, and all."  I said jokingly.

"Ha.  Ha.  Stupid."  Krystal sarcastically responded.  I laughed lightly, as I gave her a smirk from the corner of my eyes.  I could see her stick her tongue out at me.  We were both at the sinks of the opposite end, with Luna and Sulli in between us both.

Before getting to the exercise course, we made our way to the cafeteria for breakfast.  I was in pretty comfortable clothes: shorts, a t-shirt, and my L.A. snapback hat... the usual.  "Hey! Amber!"  Henry's voice popped in my ear, as he passed by me, tipping my hat unto the floor.

"Yo, fool!  What are you doing?"  I said to him with a light laugh, as I picked up my hat from the floor.

"This fool is going to be wanting that hat.  It's nice."  he said, as he sat at our table.

"Yeahp, my lucky L.A. hat.  The one I shall be wearing when I own you on the court."

"Ha!  Sure.  You keep dreaming, girl."  he said, with a joking, but condescending tone, as he started to dig into his food.

"What?  You think I can't own in basketball just 'cause I'm a girl?"  I responded with a scoff.  Poor kid.  Has no idea how good I really am.

"No, not at all.  That's not what I meant.  I..."  he took me all serious and tried explaining himself.

"What brings you around, Henry?"  asked Krystal as she lifted her gaze from her plate, looking towards us and interrupting him.

"Just saying hi."  he said, with a nervous and light laugh, rubbing the back of his head.

"Okay, then.  Hi."  Krystal said with a bit of an attitude, hinting for him to leave.  

"Are you kicking me off of the table?"  asked Henry.  Sulli just stared at everything that was taking place, probably hinting at a love triangle.  Of course, there was some kind of triangle going on, but probably not the one she had in mind.  She probably thinks me and Krystal are fighting over Henry.  And Luna... well, Luna doesn't waste time at the table when it's nom-nom time.  If it's food time, it's food time, and nothing or no one will come in between food and Luna.


Much respect, 'cause I honestly can't count on my hands the amount of times I've just wanted to enjoy my meal and -- well, like that one Sunday with mom at lunch time -- it's always something. 

"Nah, nah, don't pay attention to Krystal.  She's all grumpy in the morning."  I said, as I patted him on the shoulder.  Henry's cool peeps, and I just think he's trying to be friendly, ya' know?  And just chill with us.  I doubt he'd have a crush on me, anyway.  I could see Krystal glaring him up and down.  Sheesh, she's so feisty lately.

"Amber, it's... umm Amber-unnie, it's almost time for the class, we should get going."  said Krystal, rushing to get to class on time?  She's never in a rush to be anywhere on time until she's already late.  She mentioned the same thing to Sulli and Luna in Korean.  They nodded and started getting up.

"Oh!  Ambah-unnie, are you going to eat this?"  asked Luna, pointing at my blueberry muffin.

"Say please."  I demanded jokingly.

"Pleaseeeeeeeeeee."  said Luna, as she extended her hands out in a puppy-like manner.  We both busted out laughing, as I handed her the muffin, and started getting up from the table.

"See ya', Am..."  said Henry, as he was still eating, sitting at the table.

"Definitely.  I'll hit you up tomorrow for some hoops, see if I can finally get to whipping dat ."  I said jokingly, as I started to walk away.

"Oh yeah, sure, sure.  Whatever helps you sleep at night."  he voiced out.  I walked a little faster to catch up to Krystal.  I flicked the back of her ear as I caught up by her side.

"Hey, Krystal."  I said in a very cheery tone.  She ignored me.  "Hey, hey, hey, Krystal.  Krystal.  Krystal.  Pssttt.  Soo-jun-gie."  I repeated, annoyingly.  She turned around and gave me a death glare.

"Hey, Krystal... guess what 'dbad' stands for."

"Hm..."  she said, with a grumpy tone.

"Don't be a !"  I said with a huge and dorky grin.

"Am not."  she said, shifting her eyes to the side, speeding up her pace.

"Ehhh... just a little bit."  I said, as I caught up to her side again, wrapped my arm around her shoulder.

"Nu uh."

"Ya' know, Henry was just sayin' hi'."  I said.  She stayed quiet.  "And ya' know, I think he might actually have a crush on you."  I said.  She turned towards me, raising one of her eyebrows.  "What?  It's a possibility."  I said with a shrug and a teasing grin.

"Stupid."  she said.

"Stupid, servant... what else?"  I said with a chuckle, teasing her further.

"And 'dork', gawd!"  she said, as she shoved my shoulder lightly, holding back a smirk.  I chuckled.  I love teasing her, way too much, and she loved it, too.  She can't contain a smile when I , and she knows it, but I wasn't about to point that out.  She'd shove my shoulder again.  I laughed softly at the thought.  "What's so funny?"  she asked, as we started to walk into the gym.  She was still holding in a smirk.  She wanted so badly to giggle.

"Widdle Soojungie is funny."  I whispered.  I could tell she wanted to give me another shove but contained it since the instructor was there, which wasn't Jang.  So, I'm guessing Jang is only going to be doing the dancing and stage performance classes.


 

"Hey!  Yuh-dong-saengs!"  a loud whisper behind us.  We all turned around.

"Victoria!"  we all said.  She gave us all a light hug and proceeded to direct us where to sit.

We were a small group of about 20 girls.  The instructor introduced herself and immediately started to talk about... "What are the most important areas of your body that need to be warmed up before, say... a rehearsal, a performance, a..."  she began explaining.  I'm definitely more of a hands-on person.  So, I really wanted to just get right into the drills.  Hearing her lecture us was really putting me to sleep.

"Amber!"  Krystal whispered into my ear.

"Huh?  Yeah?  Sup, what's up?"  I responded, a bit startled.

"Are you falling asleep?"  she giggled.

"No?  Of course not."  I shifted my eyes to the side and flicked her ear.

"Oh my go -- I swear..."  she said, as she pinched my side.

"Ow!"

"That's what you get, stupid."

"So, why don't you all go ahead and pick a partner?"  said the instructor.  As soon as I heard that, which was probably the only thing I heard, I got pretty excited.  Finally, we'd get to do some action. Krystal and I turned towards each other at the same time.  She smiled shyly, noticing that we thought the exact same thing.  I wrapped my arms around her small frame and her arms in an awkward grab.

"Mine!  My ddudungie."  I said, with an adorable voice.

"If you so insist."  she said with a sigh, trying to act like she didn't want to be my partner when we both know she totally wanted to.  I mean, who wouldn't want to be paired up with this awesome Llama?

"So, the first thing we aim for is flexibility, ladies.  Lots and lots of it.  I want to see some beautiful, full splits, ladies.  Get those thigh bones working."  said the instructor.

"Have you ever done a split before?"  I asked her, as we sat on the floor, facing each other.

"Duh.  Remember, I'm the little insider in the group.  My big sis told me all about splits."  she responded, with a teasing voice.  I laughed lightly.

"That was funny."  I said, remembering when I said it earlier.  She shook her head with a light chuckle, rolling her eyes.

"Sure, it was.  Come here."  she said, as she started positioning my legs and thighs for the split.

"Hey... ow, what are you doing?"  I said as I flinched slightly.

"I'm helping you do the split."

"Oww... that hurts.  Why like that?"  I said in pain, as my legs started spreading more and more.

"Did you not pay any attention to what she said?"  she asked me.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter