Helium (He)

Science of Love

Chapter two – Helium (He)

Waking up, my head hurts. Now where is that stupid thing they call a mobile phone? My head is throbbing. It’s too hard to go our drinking now than. Maybe it’s just the age hitting me. I’m not that ripe 20 year old I used to be.

“Seyeon Noona,” That voice and that last word does not suit well.

“Sehun-ah, please never call me Noona ever again. If you do, I might choke you or something.” Noona. I don’t need to be reminded of my own age! That spring chicken is a good 5 years younger than me, and he doesn’t have to rub it into my face all the time.

“Alright Seyeon-ah. Anyways, you’ve been passed out on my couch for the last day,” he laughed looking at his watch. Wait, did he say last day? Ah Damn it, my mum is going to murder me now. I just missed out on another one of her ‘blind’ dates.

“Did my mum call?” I groaned, while rubbing my head. I probably should stop drinking until my new liver finishes growing. According to the doctor, I’m ready for the surgery in around a couple weeks depending on the growth.  It’s weird how nowadays when a body part is breaking down we just grow another one, just like if it was a tree. Back in those days, you would have to wait for someone to donate one to you otherwise you would sit and wait for death to occur. It’s funny how some things have changed and others not.

“Hmm, Yeah. You honestly should tell her to stop calling. It’s rather annoying,” He puffed out his cheeks like a small child. Knowing my mother, she probably called non-stop asking for me. I should really change my phone number and keep one separate only for her.

His apartment never changes. Numerous times I have been here and everything is always in the position it was the time before. It’s a mind game with this boy sometimes; playing make believe helps him cope and if it helps him, I cannot object.

“Take this,” He said handing me an aspirin and water. There isn’t anything better than aspirin for a hangover, years and years of research for something I could just as easily tell you by just experience.

“I’m going to head off to work now. I’ll tell Jongin that you’re not coming in.” He said as he made his way to the front door. “You’re keys are on the kitchen bench if you want to leave, there’s noodles in the fridge” he called before closing the door behind him. This was becoming the usual nowadays.

Ring. Ring. Ring. Ring.

Nothing better to soothe an hangover than your mother abusing you from halfway across the country, Nothing better.

Sighing, I pick up the call.

“Hi mum.”

“Hi Mum? Where were you? What are you even thinking? Do you know how old you are? “ And there she goes bombarding me with all these questions again.

“Do you know who you stood up yesterday? I cannot believe my daughter would do this to me again. Why do I even bother with you anymore? Out of all the children I had to get, it had to be that one daughter who doesn’t appreciate her mother.”

“I am sorry mother, I just forgot, okay? I’ll make it up to him.” I won’t ever make it up to him. My mum is always setting up these ridiculous blind dates.

“Do you know how old you are? Do you know how old I AM? I am turning 58 years old this year. I want grandchildren before I die, you know! You are 29! You won’t be able to have kids very soon. You know how the ovaries work, they can’t change that. Once you run out of your eggs, I run out of my chances to be a grandmother.”

This is just the normal conversation with my mother, always wanting to remind me that I am nearly 30 and I haven’t been in an actual relationship within the last 3 years. She just loves to do that, and then they wonder why I moved to Seoul and not stay in Busan with them.

“Yes mum, I know. I’ve got to get to work now. Bye mum, love you!”

Sometimes I can’t stand that woman at all. I know she means well but sometimes it’s too much. I am a grown woman after all. Now I can’t leave Jongin in charge of my lab, he might destroy it or something.

Grabbing my keys off the table and locking up behind me, I drove to work, possibly speeding and running red lights. But it’s not like I pay them off anyways, the government ends up paying for me. Lessons learnt in the past, there is always a way to get out of things, whether that be paying a bill or fine or to going on a blind date.

“Research Lee, We were told you were sick,” My assistant said half shocked to see me walk in. Knowing her, she wished that I didn’t show up. If I didn’t show up she would have to work for Jongin for the day and she would love that.

That’s the thing I don’t get, Jongin is gorgeous. He can get any woman he could ever want and yet he still stands single. In an blink of an eye, he could have an entire line of ladies wanting to go out on a date with him but he doesn’t even batter an eyelid for them. And then you wonder why he works with me, attempting to find the cause of love. But there is only one reason, he wants to prove that it doesn’t exist at all.