Hydrogen (H)

Science of Love

Love. What is love exactly? It’s more than just a silly emotion like happiness but it’s just a passing thought either. There just isn’t any way to word the definition of love and we don’t even know what exactly love is. What chemicals are involved? What makes you fall in love? What makes you fall out of love?

You could basically say that I live to study to love. That is, my life purpose has been to find out what love is and why we become crazy for it. Welcome to the year 2174 and welcome onto the long road to find out the science of love.

--------

‘Why don’t we just you as an experiment!”  That annoying voice belongs to Jongin, or as he likes people to call him Kai, my co-researcher. He is basically my partner in crime among these parts of the building.

“She’s probably had more failed relationships than I have even years!” And there they go again, making fun of my love life. Sehun, Jongin’s assistant, laughing about my life although he isn’t any better. I don’t see a ring on his finger or a girl by his arm, so his love life isn’t better than mine.

“You’re too young to even experience love!”

“Or you are just too for it too,” Jongin shot right back, laughing until tears were forming at the corners of his eyes. I don’t see how any of this is remotely funny but then again, it may be slightly funny.

The lights flashed five times. This means that normal working hours are over and we are free to leave, but lucky me, I’m on night duty tonight. I shouldn’t really be complaining, I choose my own hours after all. I guess that’s the perks of being the head researcher.

Finally, those two will finally leave me so I can actually to the research I’m supposed to.

Messages around your body are sent in two different ways. It’s always either a nerve reaction or a hormonal reaction. Nerve reactions are fast, messages are sent through neurons to neurons from the brain to the part of the body that is meant to react or from the sensory to the brain. And the other form is the hormonal system, now that one takes a little more time and it runs through your bloods. These two systems are extremely important and there isn’t a thing that we don’t about these two systems besides what role they play in love.

Just look at these cells here, these ones are like the ones you find in a typical brain. And I say typical because each brain is different, and this is just your average brain cell I can get from a normal Joe on the street. Now, these days we didn’t just go and cut out a cell from some random’s head we have technology that can just print out these cells using printers. But love, we can’t just print that off. Love is a completely different thing. We can’t just print it off and that’s just one of the things I just don’t understand.

“Miss Lee, I have something here for you,” one of the junior assistant said, handing me another file.
“Researcher Kim said it was urgent that you get.”

Researcher Kim is JongIn, he hates being called Researcher Kim because he thinks it makes him sound old.  But knowing him, this file probably has absolutely nothing to do with work.

And hey, what do you know. It has nothing to do with work at all but is actually just a note to tell me to meet him and Sehun at the Pub. Going there is just our normal thing to do on a  Friday night, some families have a fast food night, others have family and game but us? We just drink and get drunk on a Friday Night.

I guess I can stop the research for tonight for some drinks right? It’s a Friday anyway.

-----

Jongin and Sehun always complain about my car, it’s just a little small hatchback in the plain black colour. It isn’t flash and you won’t notice me from a mile away, but it is a fully electric car, so that’s a plus. Both of them go around driving their fancy sports car that are so low they basically hit the ground and supposedly cars like these have been cool for over a 100 years, but I wouldn’t know.

Walking into the pub, JongIn and Sehun are in their normal spots; right at the counter. And how nice, they left me my spot right between the two.

“Hey Baekhyun,” That’s our bartender. He serves the alcohol and we drink it. We have come here so often that we are on first name basis.

“Now what can I get you?” He nodded and asked. Baekhyun is probably a bit older than me, I’ve never actually asked him what his age is. That would just be weird of me.

“I’ll take whatever these two are taking,” My guess is that it’s just straight out whiskey but with all the perfume in the air tonight, I can barely smell the alcohol.

“Hey Baek, why is it so overcrowded?” Sehun asked, slightly slurring out his words. How many drinks has that boy had already?

“Strip club upstairs is having a ladies night, all the girls are lining up to get it,” he responded as I downed down my drink, asking for another one already.

The burn down your throat, it’s quite refreshing.

“Ooh, you should go. Maybe you can get a little action,” Jongin nudged me. He is definitely not drunk at all, this one can match my alcohol limits. That’s right, I’m the official drinking champion of Seoul, well that was 5 years ago and my liver has changed since then. But I still take a fair bit.

“Ha, not funny. You’re a pretty boy, why don’t you go strip?”

“Miss Lee! Are you telling me to take off all my clothes now for you? What are you planning on doing to me?” He gasped attempting to be drunk.

I can’t remember much else about the night besides the knowing that I probably drank a little too much. But you only live once right? You might as well drink it all away.