Headlights

One-shot / Drabble Collection
Please log in to read the full chapter

A/N : Uhm... well, just trying something out, I guess. I just want to warn you, if you're afraid of the dark, please skip this chapter. ;)

***************

 

 

Jessica’s life is turning upside down. In just a matter of days she has went from a skeptical, conventional woman to a woman who jumps and screams at the slightest sound or movement. Worst of all she knows she isn’t losing her mind. She knows in her heart that she isn’t crazy. 

Something is following her...

It started a couple days ago. She was walking down the basement stairs as she felt a cold draft carry past her, barely even grazing her skin yet halting her advance. She shrugged it off, thinking it was just the regular basement chill and reached out to pull the string for the overhead light. As the light clicked on she flinched and dodged backwards, her heart racing as her instinct to move kicked in. She would have sworn something was going to hit her, as soon as she heard the light click on she sensed something flying towards her out of the darkness. Standing under the light Jessica glanced around the basement, looking for the cause for her reaction. Every ounce of her instincts told her what she felt was real, yet there was nothing in the basement. She was alone. 

Throughout the day she thought little of the basement incident, going about her chores, making herself dinner, continuing her daily ritual. That night she lay in bed, a bit more restless than usual, so many things running through her mind as she stared at the gleaming red numbers of her clock. Minutes ticked by as it grew darker beyond her windows, Jessica still laying awake, still staring at the clock, lost to a daydream which would lull her off to sleep. It was at 3.09 a.m. that she saw the break in light, something dark flashed across the clock, the red illumination briefly highlighting a large silhouette before it was gone. 

Heart in Jessica sat straight up, gripping her blankets to her , searching her dark room. Terrified to move, terrified to reach beyond the safe haven of her bed, she did nothing but watch the clock, the only light, waiting for something to flash across it again. After several minutes, when nothing happened, she the table lamp next to her bed. Once again her room was empty. She was alone.

The next day, dragging herself around on no more than  two hours of sleep, Jessica headed to work. Greeted by numerous friendly colleagues she rushed past them all, desiring nothing more than the solitude of her office. Sitting at her desk she nudged the mouse, her computer monitor coming alive, files upon files of all the work that needed done staring back at her. Sighing, Jessica leaned into her desk, her hand wrapping around the mouse and suddenly she froze, her lips parting as fear tickled down her spine. 

At first the touch brushed across her wrist, softly enough that her heart stopped beating, then like talons the touch trailed across the top of her hand. Eyes wide in horror, no longer breathing or thinking, Jessica watched as her skin became small ripples of flesh, invisible nails pressing into her hand, journeying towards her fingers until eventually cupping her hand completely. 

Withholding a scream, her eyes b with tears, Jessica snatched her hand away from her mouse, grabbed her coat and purse then ran from her office, ignoring the passing stares of her coworkers. In her car she drove like a madwoman to her sister's place, glancing into her rear-view mirror, always expecting something to be sitting in her backseat. Finally reaching her sister's, she quickly threw her car in park, turned it off and practically flew to her sister's front door. When Krystal opened the door Jessica flung her arms around her sister and cried into her shoulder.

Sitting at the dinning table Jessica told Krystal everything. Krystal, her beloved younger sister, stared at her incredulously as she told her about the basement and feeling like something was going to hit her when she the light. Told her about the break in her clock light, the red glow showing her a large figure in the dark and then finding nothing in her room when she the light. Then she told her about her hand, literally watching her skin move as something sharp touched her, something she couldn’t see, something that left her cold and terrified beyond

Please log in to read the full chapter