Can't Say Goodbye

One-shot / Drabble Collection
Please log in to read the full chapter


Jessica's POV

 

They just won’t stop. No matter how hard I try, they just continue to haunt me. My every fiber, every thread that consists of my body and mind is taken by it. And for some reason I waste sleep over the fact that I can’t stop thinking about it. Never had I thought that this day would come.

My feet are numb walking out barefoot on the sidewalk, the cold rain pelting me. But that is the least of my worries. I’ve been walking the city for hours now, and yet, I get nowhere but soaked. I might show up back home with a cold, but may I say again, I really don’t care and it’s the least of my worries.

I rub at my face as I near a bench, and glance behind it. Tiffany’s house stands tall, half empty as she sits on a chair to the sidewalk front of her house. Her copper brown hair is down, as always, as well as her head which hangs. Her shoulders are hunched, and her arms are tucked inward to her body.

I force my stubborn, sore legs to her sidewalk and take slow uneven breaths as I take steps forward. I notice the wet boxes around her, and an umbrella beside her side that doesn’t even look used. She doesn’t even notice me as I near her.

I stop beside her, calming my breaths. My legs want to run away, my heart wants to scream. I want to look at the sky and scream at whoever is in charge of life and blame them for her leaving. And so soon.

 “Tiff...” I lay a hand on her shoulder.

She jumps slightly, and looks up at me. Her eyes are swollen and red. My heart cracks a little at the sight of her pathetic state. I want to hold her. Want to whisper to her that I will always be here for when she gets back. Want to tell her the world won’t shatter and break into two just because she’s moving.

“Jessi...” She smiles, and I can tell it’s forced. Her beautiful onyx eyes search my face. “Why are you out here in the rain?”

I smirk. “I was just about to ask you the same thing.”

She chuckles slightly and tucks a piece of hair behind her ear, revealing the necklace I gave her a year ago, around her neck. She follows my eyes and picks the necklace -with a piece of silver Totoro- up in between two fingers, twirling it around in her palm.

“I remember when you gave this to me,” she murmurs.

“A good memory to look back on, you know, when you’re gone.” I slap my mouth with my hand to wish that I didn’t say that last part.

She raises a brow and looks back at me. “It’s alright, Jessi. I’m trying to forget the fear I have of moving. So far I’m doing pretty well.” A lie.

I take her face. “That makes two of us. We had some good times though, and you’ll be here to visit. Where did you say you were moving to again?” I sit on one of the boxes, feeling it cave in under my . “Oops, sorry.”

She shrugs. “It’s ok. That was just my stuff animal box. They’ll be alright.” She sighs and glances at something else on the street, a passing car or the bench. “Busan. I’ll be staying with my uncle.”

“Oh. That’s three hours away with train, right?” I eye her.

She hangs her head again. “Yeah.”

I frown at her body language. “Ah, come now. It’s not that far. On holiday

Please log in to read the full chapter