02: From Peter's Boss

Life As We Know It II (She's A Heartbreaker)|| HIATUS

=From Peter's Boss=


The last thing I saw before the elevator doors closed is Jongin’s heartbreaking face. The elevator started going down and I leaned my back against the elevator’s metal wall. I placed my hands on my face and the tears started to fall. What have I done? Another heart was broken today… and it’s my entire fault. First, Tao and now Jongin. Goddammit! I even slapped him! What’s happening to me?

I’m not the same Soojin anymore ever since I entered my new life. Before I knew I’m the granddaughter of the founder of SM Entertainment, I’m the Soojin who don’t even have the guts to scream and yell at someone. I’m the Soojin who can’t even break a plate. Before, I was afraid to hit someone. Now what happened? I hurt the boy who probably is the only person who cares for me.

I dropped my hands and wiped my tears.

Jongin.

Jongin.

Jongin.

Peter Pan.

Peter Pan.

Peter Pan.

It was him. It was him all along. That’s why when I was still thinking Kris is Peter Pan, I was having doubts if it really was him sending me those letters. How can a cold guy like Kris Wu know those heart-melting and causes-daydreaming words? Kris was just pretending. That time when I first met Kris, when he almost said he was Peter Pan, I assume that he and Jongin already planned that Kris should pretend before the time I arrive. But why? Why did Jongin want Kris to pretend? Because he's afraid he'll get rejected?

Now I know that it’s not Kris I’m in love with. Yes, I had a crush on Kris because of his beautiful features and I thought I fell in love with Kris because I was thinking that it was him sending me those letters.

It was Jongin all along. It was Kim Jongin who truly captured my heart and not Kris Wu.

I smiled to myself as the elevator opened and the luxurious lobby greeted me. I walked towards the exit and realized that I should get back for Jongin.

Yes, that’s right, Soojin. Say sorry and fight for him, I thought to myself.

I ran across the lobby again to get to the elevator. That’s when I was about to press the up arrow button, I heard someone yelling.

“Dongsaeng! Dongsaeng!”

My hand froze and I quickly turned around. There I saw Xiumin running towards me. He hugged me tight and because I was too confused, I never got the chance to hug him back since he quickly pulled away. He was catching his breath as he says, “D-Dongsaeng. You have to listen.” He breaths. “Dongsaeng, y-your grandf-father. He’s—“ He stopped talking because he’s having trouble on breathing.

I furrowed my eyebrows and my heart beats really fast that I thought it might pop out of my chest any minute. Grandpa. Oh no.

I placed my hands on Xiumin’s shoulders so he would look at me in the eyes. “Oppa, what happened to grandpa?!” I asked him in a desperate tone. “TELL ME!”

He exhaled deeply and he looked at me. That’s when I thought that I’m not going to cry anymore today, I did because of Xiumin’s next words. “He was sent to the hospital. He had a heart attack the moment he knew you left with Kai.”

I puffed my cheeks to stop myself from crying and Xiumin grabbed my hand and he dragged me towards the apartment building’s glass doors. The moment we reached Seongnam’s sidewalk, a gray Porsche stopped in front of us and Xiumin led me inside the car.


I stared at my grandfather’s sleeping figure through glass window outside his private room. The ten boys are sitting just a few feet away from me on those identical plastic hospital chairs, none of them approached me and none of them uttered a single word… though I can tell they’re taking glances towards me almost every five seconds as if they’ve been expecting me to break down and cry hard any minute.

My eyes and nose are red because of crying too hard. I’ve been here for hours and Grandpa still wouldn’t open his eyes. The moment my grandfather was brought here earlier, he was hurriedly medicated that’s why he was cured temporarily. The doctors wouldn’t tell me what kind of disease my grandfather has… but now I know that the sickness my grandfather was talking about when I overheard him and my mother arguing in his office was related to his heart.

I slowly walked towards the door and turned the knob with a trembling hand and I entered. I sat on the chair placed beside his bed and I held my grandfather’s hand. My vision became blurry and the tears started to fall again. I squeezed his hand as I whisper,

“Grandpa, w-wake up. You’re the only person that I’ve got right now. P-Please… Just wake up. Grandpa, I’m sorry I was t-too selfish. I’m a s-selfish g-granddaughter. I didn’t care of what you would think or what would h-happen to you once I run away. I didn’t think that it would affect you this m-much, Grandpa.”

I inhaled deeply and cried harder. “Grandpa, if I only knew that your health would be at risk once I leave, I wouldn’t run away. I sh-should’ve said I do to Tao. I should not have run a-away with Jongin.”

I wiped my tears and stood up to kiss my grandfather’s forehead. I whispered, “I’m so sorry, Grandpa.”

I breathed heavily and exited my grandfather’s hospital room. I turned to my left and saw no one but Chanyeol with an unreadable facial expression. I shot him a forced smile and he smiled the kind of smile that didn’t reach his eyes. He hesitantly walked towards me. “H-How are you?” he asked.

“I’m not fine.” I say almost having the isn’t-it-obvious tone but I realized that I should not act like a brat in front of someone that could be my shoulder to cry on in this kind of situation.

Chanyeol pulled out something from his pocket and he handed it to me. It’s a folded piece of paper and didn’t know why I still have the energy to scoff at Chanyeol after all what happened today.

“What’s that? A letter from Peter Pan? If the answer’s yes then this is what I want to tell you. It’s a miracle you didn’t betray Jongin again by giving this letter to my grandfather.” I paused. “Oh, right. You couldn’t give it to him because he’s unconscious.”

I can see the hurt in Chanyeol’s eyes the moment I said those words. Now I regret being a right now.

He gritted his teeth. “Soojin, would you please just listen and stop being a ?! What’s happening to you?! Why do you keep on reminding me about the worst thing that I’ve done to you and Kai?! You don’t know how much I regret betraying one of my best friends and you don’t know how much it affected me by hurting you that time!”

I looked down and quickly wiped the single tear that fell on my cheek. I slowly looked up and muttered, “I-I’m sorry.”

Chanyeol took a deep breath and he leaned in to kiss my forehead. I closed my eyes and opened it again when he pulled away. “I’m sorry for yelling at you.” He whispered. I nodded and tightened my grip on the piece of paper. Chanyeol stepped back and that’s when I realized that it’s not a letter from Jongin when I saw the words: To Suri

I froze for a second when I realized it’s a letter from Grandpa because he’s the only person that calls me Suri aside from my mother. I doubt that my mother wrote this because it’s in Hangul and my mother doesn’t know how to speak or write Korean since she’s American.

“Would you like to sit for a while?” Chanyeol offered.

I looked up at him and nodded. He guided me towards the identical plastic chairs where the boys sat earlier. Chanyeol just sat one chair away from me and not really beside me maybe to give me some space. I slowly unfolded the letter and started reading.

My sweetest Suri,

I’m sorry for manipulating your life. I know it’s wrong and I know that it broke you. Let me explain why. I’m sure you’ve been wondering why I decided to put you in the same house as those boys. Suri, the day that my investigators found out about you was also the day my doctors figured out I have a heart disease and it’s not just a heart disease.

I know that it’s too early, sweetheart, but I need to pass SM to you when my condition becomes worse. You are a gifted girl but don’t worry. I’ll take my time to train you once you graduate from high school.

There’s one thing missing. You must be married already when the time comes that I would pass SM to you. That is why I put you under the same roof as those lads… because I was hoping that you would fall for one of them and maybe… a few years later the two of you would tie the knot.

Honestly speaking, I never wanted you to end up with Wu Yi Fan because I know what he did to Kim Jongin. Yes, the two of them planned something that involved you and Yes, they accidentally played with your feelings but it is only because of the unbearable feelings that Kim Jongin have towards you. I sent Wu Yifan to Seongnam the moment I heard about the betrayal he did to Kim Jongin.

I was happy when Kim Jongin thought of a plan to get close to you because I know that he’s the right boy for you but Wu Yifan ruined the plan he made that’s why when the time you and Park Chanyeol went to Incheon, I sent the boys at my office and told them to temporarily stay away from you and also so I could decide on what I would do to the boys.

I don’t have to worry about them not falling for you though, sweetheart. Because you are a beautiful young lady and any guy who is blind enough to not notice you is the least smart person. Together with your beautiful face, good heart and charming self, it is clearly impossible that none of them would fall for you.

You also need to have a child the moment SM is yours… to assure that SM will have another heir. And because you thought you felt something towards Wu Yifan and not towards Kim Jongin, I forced you to marry Huang Zi Tao because he’s next to Kim Jongin on the list. I forced you to undergo in-vitro for SM’s future. I have to make sure SM is in good hands because it’s the only thing I could give you before I leave.

Don’t you ever forget that I love you, my sweet Suri.

Love,

Grandpa

I took a deep breath after reading the letter. I turned to my left and saw the concerned Chanyeol staring at me. I gave him a reassuring smile even though deep inside me, I want to burst out crying.

He smiled back and he transferred on the vacant space right beside me. Chanyeol caressed my cheek and he whispered, “Don’t worry. You’ll be fine.”

I didn’t nod and just stared at him. “Chan?”

“Yes?”

And then I thought of the plan my grandfather made for SM.

“I need to talk to Tao.”


If you feel confused, feel free to ask me :)

-Jam