02: Normal Heartbeat

Life As We Know It II (She's A Heartbreaker)|| HIATUS

=Normal Heartbeat=


PLEASE READ THIS CHAPTER FROM LAWKI 1 FIRST TO AVOID CONFUSION :)

 https://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/543773/11/life-as-we-know-it-romance-you-kai-tao-chanyeol-kris-kyungsoo


I headed straight to my bedroom and packed my things not caring that my face has smudges of mascara. I removed my hairband harshly causing my braided hair to look like a mess and eventually, I decided to let my hair down. I undressed and change my outfit into a casual one and then I faced the mirror.

I puffed my cheeks and grabbed a tissue from the dressing table and I wipe the smudges of mascara. I stared at my reflection and I started crying again.

“What have you done, Soojin?” I asked myself, crying harder than ever. “Why did you let him go? You should’ve said those three important words.”

I fell on my knees crying and hugged my knee.

“Tao doesn’t deserve this. He did nothing but love the out of you, Soojin! How could you, you merciless !” I yell at myself and kicked the chair.

Why am I even hurt and crying?

Tao should be the only one that was hurt because it was supposed to be his loss, right? But why does it feel like it’s my loss?

It’s because you let go of that one person who is willing to protect and love you even though he knows deep in his heart that there’s only a small chance that you’ll love him back, my heart says.

I screamed at the top of my lungs in regret, not caring that the guests can probably hear it.

“YOU ARE A ING HEARTBREAKER, LEE SOOJIN! YOU ARE!” I yell at myself for the second time, tears uncontrollably streaming down my face. My empty palms turned into fists and I freaking want to punch myself right now.

I took a deep breath and bit my lower lip to stop the tears from falling. I wiped my cheeks and carried my duffel bag on my shoulder and made sure that my phone, passport and wallet are inside. I sighed and was about to touch the knob when I saw it turn and I quickly stepped backwards when Jongin entered my bedroom.

I held my breath and I swear… my heart beats a thousand miles per hour because of his intense stare. I gulped.

Why am I nervous?

He locked the door and I grasp on the strap of my backpack tight.

“W-What are y-you doing here?” I asked trying to make the cold tone evident but the words came out with a stutter.

I looked at his face and a y smirk was added after the intense stare.

I looked at his outfit. He’s not wearing the suit anymore but his usual style. The baggy sweatshirt, the cargo pants and sneakers… the difference is, he’s wearing a cap as if he wanted to cover his face and a black backpack is slung over his shoulder.

“Just in time, Soojin. Now I believe the two of us are fated for each other. See? We both wanted to run away!” he said his gaze fixed at my outfit and bag.

I stepped backwards. He smirked and stepped closer.

You want to see your Peter Pan, right?” he asked smirking. Clearly, he knows what my answer is.

And that is yes.

He leaned in that the tips of our noses are almost touching and I can’t help but stare at his lips. I gulped, wanting to stop my damn heart from beating really fast. He wanted to lean in closer so he raised his hand and removed his cap.

I closed my eyes to embrace darkness and he spoke in a very familiar husky voice, “Follow me to Neverland.”

I gasp and opened my eyes to look up at him but I didn’t utter a single word.

He stared back at me with affectionate eyes and he speaks again, “If you want to be with your Peter Pan, you have to follow me to Neverland.”

Then I said the words I told Peter Pan at the dark dance studio. “Neverland isn’t real.”

He smirked. “But when you’re with me, it would be…”

I gasped and this time, my heart skipped a beat. Tears started to form from the corner of my eyes as I stare back at him in shock. “J-Jongin? H-How did you know that line? That’s impossi—“

“Shhhh…” Jongin hushed as he caressed my cheek, his affectionate gaze never leaving mine. “Because I was there.

A tear escaped but Jongin quickly wiped it away.

I sarcastically laughed. “Y-You were th-there? H-How—“

He smiled and kissed my forehead. “I am Pe—“

Kai, you both need to go now!”

It was Xiumin, still wearing his suit. He is standing by my bedroom door and he’s giving us the hurry-up look.

Jongin leaned away from me and dropped his hand. He nodded. “Okay, hyung.”

The car I rented for the both of you is already by the back gate.”

Jongin takes my hand and squeezed it and we ran along the hall to the emergency stairs that would lead us to the back door just near Chanyeol’s door’s bedroom. Xiumin is following us and he kept on craning his neck to check if someone is following or if there’s someone ahead us.

When we’re already at the empty lawn which is thankfully far from the garden where the wedding ceremony was held, Xiumin hugged me tight and he pats Jongin’s back.

Jongin looked at Xiumin. “Thanks for helping me on everything, hyung.”

Xiumin smiled. “Don’t mention it.” He then turned to me and he kissed my forehead which earned a glare from Jongin but the glare eventually faded. “Take care, dongsaeng. I love you.”

I nodded and hugged him and he hugs me back tighter. "I love you, too, Oppa."

I quickly pulled away when we heard the loud voice of one of the guards saying, “GO FIND THE YOUNG MISS!”

“Go Go Go. Take care.” Xiumin says as he shoved us away. “Run along the grassy path and it will lead you to the back gate in less than a minute. The car is already outside.”

I gave Xiumin a sad smile and he smiled back in assurance as if saying everything-is-going-to-be-alright-and-we'll-see-each-other-again. Jongin took my hand and we both run away.


I opened my eyes and felt myself moving—no, not me but the car I’m in. I rubbed my eyes and tried to look around when I felt an arm wrapped around me and felt a heavy object leaning against my head. I tried to look up and saw the sleeping face of Jongin.

I laughed to myself and poked his cheek but instead of him waking up, he tightened his grip around me and snuggled closer and I felt his breath on my neck. I heard him whisper, "Happy birthday, Soojin. I love you."

I smiled to myself and slowly pushed him off me. He stumbled away, hitting his head on the car’s window in the process causing him to be fully-awaked.

I laughed to myself and watched him run his fingers through his messy hair and yawn. Cute.

He quickly shut his mouth and stopped yawning when he realized I was staring at him in amusement. His cheeks turned red in embarrassment and he looked outside the window to avoid my gaze.

I laughed. “Good afternoon, sleeping beauty.”

He turned his head away from the window and looked at me. He laughed, the color of his cheeks turning back to normal.

“Where are we?” I asked.

He sighed. “We’re in Seongnam.”

I nodded and looked away to look at the buildings of Seongnam. I’ve been here before when I was twelve to visit my adoptive mother’s friend.

The car then stopped in front of a huge apartment building. It looks the same as Oakwood. Kai tugged on the hem of his gray sweatshirt and my eyes widened thinking that he’s going to undress in front of me. He removed his sweatshirt leaving him in his white t-shirt and I caught a glimpse of his abs when the sweatshirt got stuck.

I looked away.

Jongin handed me the baggy sweatshirt. I gave him a confused look. “What am I going to do with it?”

“Wear it. The people might recognize us.” He says as he puts on his cap.

I nodded and wore it. I frowned. “Jongin, it’s too big.” I say half-whining.

Jongin just looked at it. “Don’t mind it. Just make sure the hood covers your face.”

“Fine.” We both got out and slung our bags over our shoulders and we entered the building.

We went to the front desk and the girl looked at us with a shocked expression. I can tell she’s trying to control a squeal.

I looked at Kai and expected him to smirk in amusement but he didn’t. He just put on a normal expression.

“Can you tell us what floor and what apartment number Mr. W-“

The girl giggled and said. “11th floor, apartment number 105, Oppa.”

I shot the girl an irritated look as Jongin took my hand and we walked away. We entered the elevator and when the doors closed, I mutter angrily to myself, “Oppa? What the heck? It should be Sir.”

I squirmed when I felt an arm around my waist and I looked up at Jongin. He smirked. “Jealous eh?”

I scowled and removed his arm around my waist. “In your dreams!” I spat.

Jongin just laughed. “Whatever, Tink.”

My scowl faded and I froze. I looked up at Jongin but he’s not looking back at me but at the metal wall of the elevator. “J-Jongin?”

That caught his attention.

“W-What did you j-just call me?”

He smiled. “Tink.”

I gulped. “W-Why?”

He didn’t answer and just looked away from me but the smile never left his face.

My lips curved into a smile. It’s been a while since someone called me ‘Tink’.

The elevator doors opened and we stepped out. Jongin took my hand again as we walk along the carpeted hall.

“What are we doing here? Are we going to visit someone?”

Jongin tightened his grip around my hand and somehow… it felt right.

We stopped in front of a door with an embossed 105 and a peephole. It reminds me of our bedrooms back at their mansion.

Jongin stabbed the doorbell and then he looked at me. “You want to meet your Peter Pan, right?”

I nodded and the door opened.

There stood the man I’ve always wanted to see.

I expected my heart to beat fast like a running cheetah but… it didn’t. My heartbeat remained normal unlike before. Why do I feel this way? I’m not used to this because before, every time I see him, my heart would go crazy that it feels like it would pop out of my chest any minute but now… What happened?

Now, I realize, my feelings are slowly changing.