02: For You To Learn

Life As We Know It II (She's A Heartbreaker)|| HIATUS

=For You To Learn=


“Grandpa…” I greeted my grandfather once I saw him sitting on one of those comfy chairs by the fireplace though no flame can be seen from the fireplace. After all, its summer and summer wouldn’t end really soon. I still have to wait a month and a half and I’ll be off to school for my senior year. I will be the only married student at our school. Unless I choose to be home-schooled.

My grandfather stood up from the chair and he extended his arms, expecting a hug from me. As much as I want to yell at him right now, I couldn’t do it. He’s still my grandfather and I should respect him. So I slowly walked towards him and hugged him. He hugged me back as he whispered, “My little Suri…”

I cracked a small smile once I pulled away from him. I turned to my shoulder and saw that the eight boys who went with me already disappeared. I felt a little weak maybe because I feel stronger whenever they are with me. That’s when I heard someone calling my name from in front of me.

I turned to look at the person in front of who is obviously not my grandfather anymore because I do recognize the voice. For the first time in my life, I want my protector out of my sight. It’s not that I am mad at him. He’s also a victim of fixed marriage just like me. I just couldn’t look at him. My soon-to-be husband.

“Tao…” I whispered.

He just gave me a slight smile and he hesitantly walked closer towards me. “Are you alright?” he asked.

I sighed. “Honestly, Tao… No, I’m not.”

He looked down. “I’m sorry… for putting you in this situation. If only I could turn back time, I would. I wouldn’t let you choose me over the boys. I should’ve stayed here in Korea. Maybe if you didn’t choose me over the other boys, you’re still in Macau right now being happy and all. You wouldn’t be trapped in a hard situation right now. Soo Jin, I should’ve accepted the punishment. I should’ve—“

I interrupted him by placing a hand on his cheek and then he looked at me. “Shhh… It’s not your fault. It’s no one’s fault. I don’t blame you.”

“I do want to marry you, you know. It’s like… a dream come true.” He says, smiling. “Like I just won the multi-billion lottery… But… I know you don’t want to marry me. You’re too young. I know that if there’s someone you want to marry right now, that someone would be Kris.”

I smiled back at him and a few tears escaped from my eyes. “You’re right… but I have to move on. Kris already gave up on me and… it hurts. Honestly, all I want to do right now is to go to Incheon and book a flight to Vancouver but I just couldn’t. I don’t want to disappoint my grandfather. He’s the only family I have. I should do this.”

He just stared at me. “Soo Jin, do you know why two people get married?” he asked.

I want to say yes but I kept my mouth shut so he continued. “Two people get married because they love each other but in our case, it’s a one-sided love. I love you. You don’t love me.”

I stared at him as I wipe my tears but it’s no use. They keep on falling and I noticed his eyes are also watery.

Tao stepped closer and then he extended his left hand for me to see something. “See that, Soo Jin? That’s my grandmother’s wedding ring.” And then he grabbed my left hand and looked at the ring. “Your ring and my ring have the same appearance that’s why they thought we really are married and… I want you to remove that ring on your finger.”            

I wiped my tears and stared at him in disbelief. “You want me t-to w-what?”

He sighed. “I want you to remove that ring now.”

“I won’t.” I said without thinking. Somehow, there’s a part of me that doesn’t want to remove it even though it’s a reminder that I’m trapped in a fixed marriage with Huang Zi Tao. “I’ll marry you, Tao.”

He stepped closer and hugged me so I hugged him back. He kissed my hair and he whispered. “You’ll never regret marrying me, Soo Jin. I will love you with all my heart and I will respect you for you to learn to love me back.”

I can’t help but smile. “Thank you, Tao.”