Chapter 6

The way you make me feel~

“But Mom, why is it so hard”? Seunghyun whined as he and Mirae took a seat on one of the stools in a bulgogi kiosk, “Maybe he doesn’t like me. I’ve been trying for the past week and the more I try, the more he pushes me away”. They were both enjoying one of their famous mother/son moments.

“Now you know how he must’ve felt all those times you ignored him”

Seunghyun sighed, “Mom common”, he rolled his eyes. Getting close to Jiyong was possibly one of the hardest things he’d had to do in a while. “You and dad weren’t lying all those times you said he admired me right”?

Mirae sighed, “No Seunghyun. For the tenth time, we weren’t lying to you”, she was a bit surprised at the turn of events; Seunghyun was now the one being ignored by Jiyong, and she liked it. She had to admit that never pegged Jiyong as the unforgiving type, something must have changed. “I guess admiration fades”. She asked him on a bulgogi date when she arrived home and found him moping. Both Jiyong and Eun Hyuk were at the hospital as usual, and Seunghyun was usually out with friends but she saw him reading a book, she knew something was very wrong.

“Mom that’s not helping”

“I’m not trying to help you” She eyed him before thanking the woman who placed the raw meat on the table between them. “What book were you reading in your room”?

“Why”?

She noted the guilty look on Seunghyun face, “Nothing, I was just surprised you could read, that’s all” She loved teasing Seunghyun; he always took everything personal unlike Jiyong who always found a good comeback.

“Mom are you sure I’m not the adopted one? You’re always so mean to me.... anyway I saw it in Jiyong’s room”

“You stole his book”?!

“I didn’t steal it, he basically has a library in there so I just picked one... Just to see”, Seunghyun stuffed his mouth with the grilled meat; he was bored, and the books looked inviting. “Mom can’t you talk to him... just tell him that I’m really a new person” The more Jiyong pushed him away, the more he wanted. Jiyong seemed like an onion, so many layers. It was no wonder everyone liked him; everything about him was both interesting and admirable; he read all kinds of books, from thriller to romance. He also liked all kinds of music, and TV shows. Never in his wildest dreams would he have imagined Jiyong listening to Skrillex of all the musicians in the world.

“If you have indeed changed, you wouldn’t need me to talk to Jiyong for you”

“OMMAAAAAA”!!!!!! Seunghyun cried out, causing people to turn in his direction, and causing Mirae to burst out laughing, “Mom, maybe we should order some Soju to ease the pain”

“Seunghyun don’t be silly... For starters why don’t you invite him to your basketball game tomorrow night”

“Jiyong wouldn’t be interested in that mom, plus Taemin already asked and he refused”. He said, and his mother informed him of how Jiyong always watched games Seunghyun had played, both basketball and football. “Seunghyun you just have to make him an offer he can’t refuse”

 

                                                             ***

“Jiyong I can’t believe you haven’t started studying for finals yet. It’s next week”! Hyorin complained. It was lunchtime, and he was sitting with Hyorin and Taeyon, “Jiyong, I can’t believe how cool you are now” Taeyon said as he watched people wave at Jiyong from all parts of the cafeteria, “And you, Lana and Suzy are practically best friends”

“Benefits of being the brother of Choi Seunghyun” Hyorin said and Jiyong was instantly reminded of why he never liked spending time with Hyorin and Taeyon. They had so much negative energy, and they gossiped a lot. “OMG he’s coming over here… don’t look Seunghyun’s coming OMG”!!!

“Hey there bother” Seunghyun took a seat beside Jiyong, “I see you only ate your eggs… you can have mine” he transferred his eggs to Jiyong’s plate, and took some vegetables off Jiyong’s tray. “So, are you coming to my basketball game tomorrow night? Mom said you can”. One thing he loved the most about being with Jiyong was how shy Jiyong always was.

“Hyung....”

“Hey Jiyong” “Hey Ji” “JIYONG”! A few of the boys from the basketball team started filing in, there were about eleven of them and they all gathered around Jiyong. “So Seunghyun tells us you’re coming to the game,” One of them, Daniel said. “We heard it’s your first game.. So we are dedicating it to you” Another said, and Seunghyun smiled. ‘Make him an offer he can’t refuse’ thank you mom, you’re a genius.

“Why are you guys pestering my Jiyong”? Lana was suddenly behind them, hands in pocket. “Of course he’s coming to the game. He’s the one singing the anthem” Lana pulled Jiyong up, “Let’s go”. He instantly felt sorry for Jiyong, it was obvious that the whole anthem thing was new to him. “How could all of you big, sweaty boys harass him”? Lana pulled Jiyong away from them, he watched them walk away, the two people he was trying to get closer to, “Sorry we ruined your lunch” He apologized to the two girls on the table before rising up to take his leave, “Lets go guys”

It was soon nighttime and the school’s basketball court was filled with both students and parents. Seunghyun peaked from the hidden waiting room under the bleachers scanning the crowd for Jiyong. He sighed and was about rejoining his teammates when he heard the most pleasing voice blasting from the speakers. It was the national anthem but the singer sang it in a way he’d never heard before. He’d been playing sports for years, but it was the first time he’d heard so much silence when the anthem was being sung. He walked back to the doorpost to catch a glance of the singer, and found himself fighting past his team mates to try getting a glimpse. Jiyong?

Jiyong was standing in the middle of the court, singing his heart out. He would never have imagined that Jiyong could sing, at least not that well.

The game started out amazing and they were leading until the second half when he finally realized where Jiyong was sitting. That was the moment he got a little distracted; Jiyong was sitting between Suzy and Lana, and while the two were engrossed in a deep conversation, Jiyong’s eyes were fixed on him. “Get your head in the game Seunghyun”, a few of his teammates yelled at different times. The game soon ended with his team losing, and had their asses handed to them when the game was over.

After the game, he went for a long ride to clear his head. He was trying to wrap his around why Jiyong got to him so much. It was 11pm by the time he arrived home and he knew their father would still be at the hospital and that Jiyong and their mother would be sleeping.

“Jiyong”? He was surprised to see the skinny little blonde boy sitting on one of the Ireland stools with a cup of milk in his hand.

“Hyung, you scared me” Jiyong smiled. “Why are you still up”? He was still a bit embarrassed; Jiyong obviously saw him as a failure now, so much for dedicating the game to him. “Hyung are you okay”?

“Yeah... I’m fine” Seunghyun lied, and Jiyong continued “....why don’t you just quit basketball”?

“Wow just because of one failed game, I...”

“It’s not just one game. I’ve watched you play both football and basketball and you never look happy when playing basketball” Jiyong cut him off. When his mother told him that Jiyong always watched videos of him playing, he thought she was joking, “If you don’t like something you should quit. It wouldn’t make you a coward, rather, you would be true to yourself”

If there was one thing he’d admired about Jiyong through the years, and more so in the past week, was how confident Jiyong was towards life. One look at him, with his head bowed all the time, you would think he had low self-esteem but it was quite the opposite. “Look at you, you’re not scared of anything are you? Life is more complicated than that Jiyong” he took a seat beside the blonde boy. “I guess I’m just not as confident as you, I don’t want my friends and teammates to see me as a failure” But more important than that, I don’t want you to see me as a failure

“Hyung I’m gay” Jiyong was looking straight at him. He was genuinely shocked and a bit confused as to why Jiyong was choosing to come out to him, “I remember when I first realized it. I think it was the worst moment of my life, living with the secret...not being able to tell mom and dad because I thought they would hate me or send me away” Jiyong’s voice got a little shaky, “But I ended up telling them and they thanked me for telling them, and that they loved me regardless and....” Jiyong stopped abruptly, looking like he’d just seen a ghost.

“Jiyong, are you okay”?

“Hyung... it’s okay if you don’t want to be friends with me now that you know. I promise I...” Seunghyun got out of his chair and wrapped his arms around Jiyong. He felt Jiyong stiffen at first, but relaxed after a while. “You fool, why wouldn’t I want to be friends with you”? Jiyong’s hair smelled like coconuts, he liked coconuts, “You are incredibly brave Jiyong” He didn’t want to let go, Jiyong’s body felt so warm against his skin, but he had to, he didn’t Jiyong feeling uncomfortable. “Wow, your face is red, are you okay...should I call mom”?

“No hyung... I’m fine” Jiyong smiled awkwardly. “Jiyong, this past week has been one of the toughest for me. I know you have a reason to push me away but I want you to know that I’m really trying my best”

“I know hyung, and I’m sorry. I was just scared but I promise to not push you away anymore”. Jiyong’s heart hadn’t stilled, not only was Seunghyun fine with him being gay, he also gave him a hug. A little part of him wondered if they could make it an everyday event.

“Really?...It suddenly feels like Christmas. The cool Jiyong has agreed to be friends with me”!! Seunghyun stood up from his chair and danced on his famous bingu-winning dance he always did when he made a touchdown. Woah, he’s really cute when he’s laughing like that... woah woah Seunghyun wth! “Jiyong please don’t laugh like that you’re going to make me have an attack” Jiyong quickly placed his hand over his mouth “Sorry hyung”, but still laughed regardless.

Seunghyun moved his chair closer to Jiyong “So tell me... who made you realize you were into guys”? Seunghyun teased, “Who was your first crush”?

“Hyuuuung”!!

“Common, it’s not big deal. Lee Hyori was mine, who was yours”? Seunghyun teased again and laughed when Jiyong looked liked a deer caught in headlights.

“I’m going to sleep” Jiyong stood up and was going to flee when Seunghyun caught his arm and pulled him back, “I am going to find out who that person is”. With the way Seunghyun was smirking at him, he may as well have a serious attack and died on the spot. A little part of him wanted to say it though, You hyung. You were my first crush, and you still are. Only I don’t believe it to be a crush anymore. But instead of doing that, he pulled away from Seunghyun and ran as fast as his legs could carry, which wasn’t fast at all because he could still hear Seunghyun chuckling from the kitchen.

                                                             ***

Both boys got closer in the following week. They were rather inseparable. And although Seunghyun was the one who always bothered Jiyong, Jiyong always at Seunghyun’s heels. Seunghyun also joined Taemin’s tutoring session with Jiyong for the finals. “Finally” Seunghyun jumped on his bed. Finals were finally over, and Christmas break was officially a go. “I wonder how Ji knew what was going to be on the Chem exam”! Taemin sighed, Chemistry was the last final they had and somehow, Jiyong had taught them basically all the things that were asked on the exam.

“Because he’s amazing” Seunghyun stared at the ceiling, Jiyong had been getting to him more and more over the past couple of days, but he chalked it down to being the overwhelming relationship they were now having. “I don’t understand why he had to go with Lana and Suzy though, shouldn’t they be here by now”?

Taemin eyed Seunghyun, “Lana texted me, she said they’re getting her place ready and that Jiyong would changing there”. Lana was having a costume party, she always had a party the last day of every finals. It was something everyone invited looked forward to, “I’m curious, are you worried that Jiyong is trying to steal Lana, or are you jealous of Lana being with Jiyong” He’d come to realize Jiyong’s not-so-subtle feelings toward Seunghyun; the way he looked at Seunghyun, the way he held on to every word Seunghyun said, even though Seunghyun always said the dumbest things. “Why aren’t you answering”?

Seunghyun was still trying to process the question, “Because your question is stupid” right? “Of course I’m worried that Jiyong is going to steal Lana from me”. Yes that’s right, I can’t possibly be jealous of Lana, that’s absurd. “I’m just using Jiyong to get closer to Lana” he lied.

Taemin looked at his friend again, he couldn’t tell if Seunghyun was lying or telling the truth, “Whatever, just don’t hurt Jiyong. So... what are we going to wear to the costume party... Jiwon was thinking we go as girls”

“Hell no”! Seunghyun spat. “Watch your words Choi Seunghyun”. Mirae walked into the room. Both boys greeted her immediately, “Mom, when did you get home”?

“Just now, why”?

“Why don’t you call Jiyong! Tell him to come home, what if he gets sick... or his inhaler finishes” he made his puppy face at her

“I just spoke to him, he’s okay. He’s with Minhyuk at Lana’s house...I don’t know if you know him but they’re quite close, and he’s...”

“A doctor” Seunghyun frowned, “Why is he there? Aren’t doctors supposed to be busy”?

“He’s off today. What’s with the tone”? She raised an eyebrow.

“Nothing, he just bothers me. He’s too old to be friends with Jiyong” Seunghyun complained; he hated everything about the doctor, especially how the man’s text made Jiyong light up like a Christmas tree. “Minhyuk is good to Jiyong, leave it at that” Mirae said before handing Seunghyun an envelope.

“What is it”? He asked as he took it “Your plane ticket to L.A. Your flight is tomorrow night”

“WHAT”! Both Taemin and Seunghyun asked in unison, “Your uncle sent it, remember you promised your cousins you would spend winter break with them”? Seunghyun remembered vaguely, but that was when he thought he hated Jiyong’s guts but things were different now. He actually looked forward to spending the break with Jiyong, “But mom....”

“Don’t whine. If you can’t go just call him and tell him that you don’t want to” She winked at him before leaving.

“So are you going”? Taemin asked when Mirae closed the door behind her, “Hells no” Seunghyun said and tossed the envelope in the trashcan beside his bed. “I’m going as Danny Zuko” Jiyong had a poster of John Travolta’s from his grease days on his wall. He couldn’t wait to tease Jiyong about the tickets; he was going to first about actually leaving, and then tell Jiyong that he wasn’t going. He couldn’t wait.

“Well, I’m going as kinickie then. I’m going to call the guys over” Taemin took out his phone.

 

 

Lana’s party started at 8, but Seunghyun and his friends didn’t get there until a little past 9, and by then Seunghyun was beyond furious. He never wanted them all to go as they unit but they did, thanks to Taemin and they wasted his time at that. “Excuse me, have you seen my brother”? He asked people. It had been over thirty minutes since they arrived at Lana’s house and Jiyong was nowhere to be found.

 

Seunghyun>>> cute alien

Hey, where are you. Find Danny Zuko :)

 

Seunghyun>>> cute alien

Hey are you okay? Why aren’t you picking?

 

He was starting to believe he was being ignored, even Suzy was being cryptic, she told him to look for the third cheerleader. Did I do something to offend him? He was about to send a third text when he heard Jiyong’s laugh behind him. He turned around but didn’t see Jiyong. He knew Jiyong’s laugh; it had to have been jiyong. He looked around him, and caught sight of the annoying doctor; he was dressed as Zeus and laughing with a girl who looked real pretty from behind. Eh, isn’t he too old to be here, talking to a cheerleader? A little part of him was convinced that the doctor was Jiyong’s first crush. He’s not even that good looking. He kept glaring at the doctor, even when the girl walked away from him, Have I seen her before? He watched from behind as he watched a few of the boys checked her out. Who the hell is she?

While he was still trying to make her out, he saw her walk up to Taemin and the two shared a hug. It was then he knew it was his cue to introduce himself, “Yo T, I...”

“Hyung” It was Jiyong, the girl he’d been checking was Jiyong. Seunghyun wiped his eyes “Jiyong”? Jiyong was dressed as a cheerleader; he had long black hair with full bangs and was wearing make up, “Hyung stop looking at me like that”, Jiyong’s voice brought him to his senses.

“Wow Jiyong, you really look like a girl. A very pretty one too” Taemin said, making Seunghyun even more uncomfortable. He may or may not have just had bad thoughts about his brother. “No he doesn’t, stop lying to him”, it wasn’t what he wanted to say but he couldn’t help it.

The rest of the party went downhill henceforth, Jiyong was avoiding him and giving too much attention to everyone else, especially the doctor. He really hated the way the man stared at Jiyong. “Jiyong I need to talk to you” he grabbed Jiyong, put his letterman jacket around him and pulled him outside, and shoved him in the car.

The drive home was quiet; Jiyong didn’t say a word to him. “Jiyong don’t dress like that again. I don’t like it” he said before closing the house door behind them as they got inside the house, “And it is definitely too cold to be dressing like that” he kept talking behind Jiyong as they both climbed upstairs “Jiyong” he finally took Jiyong’s hand, stopping him from moving further, “Jiyong are you angry with me? Did I do something wrong”?

“Hyung you’re leaving tomorrow... dad told me”

Seunghyun laughed, “Is that why you’ve been ignoring me?.... I’m not going. I’ll call uncle tomorrow and explain that I wouldn’t be able to make it”

“Hyung you should go. You promised”

Seunghyun was confused; Jiyong seemed disappointed at the news, “Jiyong...”

“Hyung you should go”

At this point he was already frustrated, “Jiyong I am trying here... I know I’ve been an for the most of our lives but I’m really trying, and I’m getting tired of you pushing me away all the time”!!

“Well if you’re tired of trying to be my brother then just go”.

“FINE”! Seunghyun screamed before walking towards his room, “I’m done trying with you” he slammed the door behind him. So what if he hoped Jiyong would ask him to stay? It never crossed his mind that Jiyong would push him away like that, not after the last weeks they had. He pulled out the ticket from the trashcan, before taking his phone out of his pocket. It was daytime in L.A “Hello uncle....”

 

 

A/N:

Heyyou <3, so so so so so sorry for this half assed update :) I’ve been having the worst writers block. So what do you think you ? Is Seunghyun going to go….why do you think Jiyong is being ridiculous?