Prologue

The way you make me feel~

“I am so sorry Rae, but it would impossible for you to have any more kids”, were the words that changed Mi Rae’s life forever, and it wasn’t like she wasn’t expecting it. She and her husband were both doctors, with Eun hyuk, her husband being two years older than her in the field. Having Seunghyun was already a miracle itself, she almost died giving birth to their son, so they both decided not to try again for a while, even though they always wanted a big family.

Born into a wealthy family and being the only child was a bit stressful for her, especially since her father wanted her to carry on the family business, when medicine had always been her passion. She finally convinced him, and made it to medical school, where she met Choi Eun hyuk, and married him soon after. “But we waited seven years” She whined to the family doctor; Seunghyun was about to turn seven, and she wanted another child.

“But Rae, it is too dangerous. It is your choice, but I strongly warn against it” The family doctor, and her colleague warned, it had been Eun Hyunk’s idea to get a third opinion.

“Honey” Eun Hyun squeezed her hand, “I don’t want to lose you. Common, there are other options”

“Yes, you can look into surrogacy, or adoption. Anything that wouldn’t involve you risking your life”. Dr. Paul was not only their family doctor, but also their dear friend; he was there when her father passed, he was also the one who helped her deliver Seunghyun safely. 

She spent the following days plunging herself into her work, until the day she decide to visit the orphanage. There was an orphanage a few miles from her childhood home. May be adoption was really what she needed. “Rae”! The owner of the orphanage called out to her, as soon as she got out of her car. “Mr. Max” She hugged him.

“We haven’t seen you in so long. You only send us checks, I was starting to think you abandoned us”

“You know that’s not possible, I’ve just been so busy with work, and shareholders meeting for my fathers company, and Seunghyun has take up football so..”

“I was only joking” The man laughed as he lead her into the huge churchlike building. Ever since she got a hold of her trust fund, she spent a good deal of it on donations, especially renovating this orphanage, and taking care of the children.

“How is everything, how are the children. I am sure the ones i saw the last time would have been adopted by now”. There were children playing around the place, with a few attendees keeping an eye out for them.

“Yes they have, to very good homes. A lot of children have been coming and going recently” They sat opposite each other.

“Good, that’s....”

“Sir, we can’t find Jiyong”

“Again”? The old man hastily rose up, “Please excuse me” he ran out of the room

She played with a few of the children, when the man returned, “Is everything okay”?

“Yes, there’s a child that got transferred here a few weeks ago. He gets really shy around visitors”

“Transferred”? Children were rarely moved between orphanages. “Why”?

“Jiyong is just over six years of age, and no one wants to adopt him because he’s a bit older. Both parents were Korean, and apparently the mother was careless, so he needs constant medical care”

“Why is....”

“Jiyong come say hello to Rae, thanks to her this place is still functioning” The old man ushered the little boy toward her. He was wearing a hoodie, and a pair of jeans that looked too big for him. “Hello, My name is Kwon Jiyong” He beamed at her; he didn’t look the least bit shy.

“Hey Jiyong” He offered his hand and she shook it, even his hands were tiny. The old man excused himself leaving her alone with Jiyong. “I thought you were shy”

“Yes I am” He casually picked up some Legos, “But only with certain people”. She noted how mature he sounded.

“So why did you hide”?

“So you don’t have to adopt think about me, and I wouldn’t be sad” He was carefully constructing something with the Legos.

“What do you mean Jiyong”?

“Well, no one wants me because I have to go to the hospital all the time, and that is very expensive, and I am a bit old”

“NO WAY”! She cheered, “You’re just a baby... aren’t you hot, take off your hoodie”

She was expecting him to argue but he did. He took it off immediately, and looked at her as if he was waiting for her to say something, “Weird isn’t it, my hair. But they said my parents are from Korea”

“I’m from Korea too”

“I know. Look” He showed her the structure he built, “Do you know what this is”?

“Voltron”

“WHOA, you’re so cool”! His excitement over something so little was endearing.

“I know, plus I have a son about your age but your voltron looks one hundred percent better than his” She examined the structure. “Jiyong, I’m sure you hate hospitals”

“Not really, the doctors are my friends. They help the pain go bye bye”. His statement suddenly reminded her that she was talking to a little boy.

“What if I told you that I am a doctor”?

“Then you are my friend”

 

She would never forget returning home and telling Eun hyuk about Jiyong, the little boy who stole her heart. She took him to see Jiyong the next day, and like she predicted, Eun Hyuk loved him too. Who wouldn’t? Over the next couple of days, they spoke to Jiyong, who was beyond excited to go home with them, and Max prepared the adoption papers. Everything was perfect, until they introduced Seunghyun to Jiyong. It all went down hill from there. At first, they thought Seunghyun was just acting out and he needed time to get used to the change but it had been over ten years since Jiyong had joined their family, and Seunghyun still did not accept him.

They moved to Korea because Eun Hyuk got an offer to be the head pediatric surgeon in one of the most renowned hospitals. They had already taught Seunghyun the language, so they took their time teaching Jiyong, and he learned it in no time. While Seunghyun originally hated the change, Jiyong didn’t mind it. In fact Jiyong never minded anything; he still tried getting close to Seunghyun who did everything in his power to push him away. There were times when she blamed herself, if only she had enforced that they shared a room like Eun Hyuk wanted, they probably would have gotten close.

“Hey honey” Her husband kissed her on the cheek, before reaching for a piece of toast. “Waiting for Yoomi”? Yoomi was Jiyong’s caregiver, although recently she had become more of a friend than a caregiver because Jiyong had grown into an independent young boy.

“Yes” She smiled. When Jiyong was younger, there were days when his health failed miserably; always having crisis and had to be rushed to the hospital so ever since he turned eight he had been home schooled and under constant supervision, and when they moved to Korea five years earlier, it made sense that they continued home schooling him, even though he crisis had significantly reduced. Both her sons were polar opposites; while Jiyong loved science and spending his free time reading and volunteering at the hospital her husband, Eun hyuk worked, Seunghyun loved school but hated schoolwork, and he also loved sports. He played both basketball and football, and had different games they always had to attend. So she and Eun hyuk always had to split it; one of them went while the other stayed home with Jiyong. While Seunghyun had his three close friends who frequented the house to play video games and sports, Jiyong had friends that were doctors, or young medical students who were training to get their residency. “Where‘s Seunghyun”? Eun Hyuk asked her.

“He slept over at Taemin’s house last night, I thought he told you”?

“He asked and I said no because we barely had time with him this summer, and senior year starts next week which means more school work and more practices”

Seunghyun never really acted out, he more of just avoided, and some days she found herself wishing that he would act out instead. “I guess he’s lying now. He texted me saying that you approved, and we were both so tired last night so I didn’t think to question it”. Having been a psychology major during her undergraduate years, she was actually grateful at how Seunghyun turned out; he was still respectful, and played with them, when Jiyong was in his room of course, but there were worse ways he could have turned out.

“Should we ground him”?

“Eun Hyuk ah, you are not making me the bad guy this time. You do it”

“APPA”!! Jiyong ran into the kitchen, as bubbly as ever, “You can’t ground hyung”

“Why”?

“Because... Because I have my blood transfusion today and you wouldn’t want me to do it with a heavy heart right”? Jiyong pouted. It was things like this that made her heart break for her younger son; he was always getting Seunghyun out of trouble, either by trying to take the punishment for his hyung, or just plain bribing them with his illness like he was currently doing, and Seunghyun never seemed to appreciate it.

“Jiyong-ah, should mom come keep you company during your blood transfusion”? She placed some five slices of toast on his place with a ton of eggs, “Finish it”.

“Mom, are you trying to kill me”? He removed four slices from his plate, “No I’m fine but dad can stop by”. It was no secret Jiyong was a little biased with Eun Hyuk; they spent more time together because Jiyong chose to volunteer where Eun Hyun worked. She was only a little jealous.

“My son is abandoning me” She sighed.

 “Mom, don’t you think you love me too much”? He asked as he walked up to her and gave her a back hug. He was so thin “Plus, I like hanging out with my friends without my mom around”

“And by friends, he means that med school student. What’s his name again, Kim...” Jiyong quickly placed his hands over Eun Hyuk’s mouth, stopping him from speaking.

“Dad, I thought you were cool” Jiyong returned to his food. She stared at him; he had grown up well. There were a lot of shaky times, when they were so sure they were going to lose him but he hung tightly. He was such a trooper for frequently having both blood transfusion and dialysis, and never complaining once. But she was most grateful for his blood type; AB and could was a universal blood recipient. It was another factor that made he and Seunghyun polar opposites; Seunghyun was type O, a universal donor. “Are we not throwing a party for hyung tomorrow”?

“I can’t believe Seunghyun’s turning eighteen” Eun hyuk shook his head; “He’s a man now”

“And that man needs to return home so we can ground him”

“Mommy” Seunghyun appeared through the back door, and enveloped her in a hug, “Mom how can you ground me on my birthday” She tried pulling away but Seunghyun was huge. “Morning auntie” Taemin his friend appeared beside him.

“Yah, what kind of son runs away from home”? She asked as Seunghyun pulled up a chair beside Eun hyuk. “And you Taemin, what did both of you do last night”?

“NOTHING I SWEAR”! His hasty and loud response told her otherwise. “Yah Taemin, what’s with that response, making us look guilty” Seunghyun hissed as he stuffed his mouth. If only she could get Jiyong to eat as much as Seunghyun did. They were barely a year apart, but Seunghyun, and even some of the other boys in Seunghyun’s class were almost double Jiyong’s size.

“Hyung, we were thinking of throwing you a party,” Jiyong said cheerfully.

“Mom, dad, may I be excused. I need to go take a shower, Taemin and I are meeting a few of our friends” Seunghyun stood up.

“Seunghyun, are you really going to ignore your brother”? Eun Hyuk asked, obviously irritated.

“I am so sorry your highness” Seunghyun bowed mockingly toward Jiyong, “I did not mean to offend thee, but my friends and I already have something planned for tomorrow. Does this please you, your highness”?

“Seunghyun...”

“Mom, I am really smelly. Can I go”?

“Go”

“Love you” Seunghyun and Taemin disappeared into the house.

“Hyung must be very tired” Jiyong smiled. “Dad, are you ready”?

She smiled sadly as they both kissed her head and left. It was like that almost every day; Seunghyun always dismissing Jiyong. What was sadder was the way Jiyong looked and treated Seunghyun, like he was his savior. He truly looked up to Seunghyun, and even went as far as believing every single word Jiyong said. There were days where she even begged Jiyong to leave Seunghyun alone. She knew it was bad when one day she got home to find Seunghyun yelling at Jiyong for entering his room, even the workers in the house were too stunned to do anything, and it turned out that Jiyong only entered to drop a poster that he had ordered for Seunghyun. It was the day she begged Jiyong never to go into Jiyong’s room. Just once, she wanted to see Seunghyun treat Jiyong like a brother, just once. 

 

 

A/N

Ugh, this chapter was really boring to write. I couldn't wait to get to gtop interactions but YES! I did it keke

Thank you so much for your support on this new journey :)

Is anyone interested in reviewing this fic? I think i might need it; i recently read some of my old fics and almost died of embarrassment lol. Like how could i not have noticed certain mistakes?

Don't forget to leave comment. Constructive criticisms are much needed :)