Chapter 11

The way you make me feel~

T: “Dude, Suzy was so good I wonder if she lied about being a

S: “You may be my best friend but you’re one sick bastard

T: “I’m not sick. Like I said, it was just a thought

S: “I guess you’re not a anymore. Seriously T, I was getting worried

T: “ you, I taught you all you know. How was your prom night, was it all you imagined it to be”? There was a hint of sarcasm in Taemin’s voice

S: “Forget tonight

T: “Don’t lie to me Seunghyun, I know you didn’t spend the night with Lana

S: “What are you talking about? I took her to the Marriott, we got the honeymoon suite.....every girl’s first has to be special.... I had to make it special for her.... it’s Lana, nothing less that the best for my Lana

T: “Are you seriously going to keep lying to me”?

S: “I don’t know what you’re talking about

T: “Wow okay... what about Jiyong”?

S: “Jiyong?.... I don’t know... I guess he spent time with the doctor. Whatever, why are you asking about him”?

T: “I’m asking because I saw the way you looked at him all night, there’s no way you spent the night with Lana.... I know you. You like Jiyong, not Lana

S: “I really don’t know what you’re talking about, I’m just glad high school is over.... I have to say it was really smart of me to use him to get to Lana..... you should have seen how Lana’s been all over me, she even told me she was in love with me

T: “SEUNGHYUN”!!! Taemin was starting to get bored of the conversation, “If you’re going to lie to me fine, but remember I once opened up to you about loosing a younger sibling"

S: “Fine, I didn't sleep with Lana... nothing happened... I couldn't stop thinking about Jiyong so I dropped her off at home, then I went back home. I kissed him… I ing kissed him

T: “And”?

S: “I don’t know... I liked it... DAMN, I liked it a lot. He confuses me, he’s been for a while now... but he’s supposed to be my brother. How would it even work.... and what if he likes the doctor. I don’t know

T: “Well you have to figure it out, Ji’s probably just as confused as you are... but you two aren’t biological brothers so there’s nothing wrong with it, especially since you two have basically lived as strangers under the same roof

S: “Yeah

T: “I have to say, I’ve noticed it for a while. The way you look at him... and that day at the Brigg when you pulled him away looking like Goo Jun Pyo from boys over flowers” Taemin laughed, “You weren’t angry that Kangin gave him alcohol, you were angry because Kangin was trying to put moves on him

 

Taemin shook his head as he remembered how sad and dejected Seunghyun sounded on the phone that night, but it was nothing compared to how broken he sounded over the phone several minutes earlier when Seunghyun had called him to come over. “It’s still so hard to believe he really moved out, the house seems quiet”? He was now sitting beside Seunghyun in Seunghyun’s room, “Just like that”

“Just like that” was all Seunghyun said after sighing for the nth time. He felt bad for Seunghyun; his best friend had been moping for days while he was having the best time of his life with Suzy. “I thought you were going to stop him... I told you to talk to him, find out why he was so pissed at you”

“I tried”

FLASHBACK

He walked into Jiyong’s room and there were several luggages in he corner of the room. The posters were down, and so were half of the books on the bookshelf was gone. “Jiyong may I talk to you”? He said but Jiyong kept packing his things.

“I can’t talk, the van would be here soon”

“Wow you are really leaving, aren’t you”?

“Yes”

“Jiyong please talk to me” He walked closer to Jiyong, but Jiyong backed away, “Is it because of the...”

“The kiss meant nothing”, Jiyong said immediately, breaking his heart. “It’s already forgotten”

“But you kissed me back... you even smiled” he felt small and pathetic, Jiyong was looking anywhere but at him, “Jiyong..” he called out when Jiyong didn’t answer.

“It was reflex... I am gay after all. It’s what gay guys do”

Seunghyun shook his head, “Jiyong please... tell me what I did wrong. Everything was good until the day after prom. I want to fix it, I want things to go back to the way things were after prom or…”? or possibly even more.

“Well I just want to go back to the way things were before I started high school”

“Jiyong...” Jiyong turned away from him, but he’d seen Jiyong’s teary eyes. “Jiyong please talk to me”

“I... I wish I never went in the first place... now that it’s over, I’m glad” he could hear it in how Jiyong’s voice broke. “Please don’t try to stop me, you can’t.... you are neither my brother nor my friend. You never were, and never will be”.

Those words were enough to warrant an explanation. He walked up to Jiyong and spun him around, “Jiyong what is wrong, I can’t make amends if you don’t tell me what I did” both his arms were grabbing Jiyong’s shoulder, Jiyong was looking at him, tears rolling down his cheeks but didn’t say anything. “I didn’t move out to live with Taemin because I wanted to live with you, and now you’re leaving me”

“I don’t want to live under the same roof as you” Jiyong glared at him.

“Well I only want to live under the same roof as you” Jiyong’s glare softened a bit, and that was his chance, he pulled Jiyong in for a kiss but Jiyong pulled back at the last minute

“Minhyuk hyung will be here soon” Jiyong turned his face away.

“The doc? So that’s why you’re doing this.”

“No it’s not, and if it were, why would you care”?

“Because you’re supposed to like me... it’s supposed to be me. I saw it in your dairy” he said before he could stop himself, “I was your first crush”

“You read my diary”? The glare was back, and it was darker this time.

“Yes... Not all of it... I stopped when you entered something about it being your sixteenth birthday...” Jiyong struggled from his grasp. “I CAN’T BELIEVE YOU”!

“Jiyong, I wasn’t going to...”

“When did you read it”?

“The day I met you in the hospital during the transfusion”

“GET OUT”! Jiyong shoved him, but he didn’t budge. Jiyong might have been healthy but he still had over forty pounds on him, “Jiyong please listen..” he tried but Jiyong kept shoving him, “I hate you, I was right to leave”

 

“Seunghyun” he came to his senses with Taemin snapping his fingers at him, “Hey, you okay bro? I asked why you didn’t stop Jiyong”

“I ruined it is why”. A part of him wished he never disclosed that he’d read Jiyong’s journal, and another was happy that he did so that they could get past it. “He even came home for dinner last night, because he agreed that he would on Saturday nights... and it turns out that he’s been spending time with mom and dad”

“Last night”? Taemin thought, “But you, me and the boys went partying last night” the sudden realization hit him, “So thats why you didn’t want to go home, you were avoiding Jiyong. What the hell is wrong with you”!

“NOTHING” Seunghyun threw his hands in the air, “He obviously didn’t want to see me, and I didn’t...”

“You are one annoying whiny you know that”? Seunghyun turned to Taemin, surprised at his words, “Gee... first you treat him like crap, and then you apologize and he forgives you right off the bat... God knows if I were him, I wouldn’t forgive you... and now you’ve pissed him off and you don’t even try your hardest to find out how or apologize? Jiyong deserves better”

“Taemin” Seunghyun whined, “Don’t Taemin me, you need to hurry up and figure out what Jiyong means to you. If you want him as a brother, then go bring him back and you two can continue your sham of a brotherhood, and if you want him as something more, then bring him back and then you, me, Suzy and him can go on a double date” Taemin stood, “And by the way, if you two are going to do the whole brother thing, let me know so I can then invite he and the doc for the double date. The guy is pretty cool”

“ off” Seunghyun threw the TV remote at Taemin, but Taemin dodged it, “That wasn't necessary T”

“No, that was a wake up call” Taemin opened Seunghyun’s room door to take his leave, “Call me when you figure yourself out, I’m all out of pep talk”.

Seunghyun sighed before laying back on his bed, 'Bring him back……figure yourself out……you pissed him off and didn’t even try your hardest to figure out how'. Words echoed in his head, ‘think Seunghyun, think about what you might have said or done’.

“Argh, I didn’t do anything”! He said outloud and hoped no one heard him.

Hyung......

Hyung......

It was back... the voice. Since Jiyong moved out a week ago, he’d been hearing Jiyong call for him in the way he used to; Jiyong had a way of calling him hyung, with laughter in his voice.

HYUNG!

“WHAT WHAT WHAT”!!!!!!!!!! He sat up screaming, only to be faced with one of the maids, looking like she was about to pee her pants. “So sorry ajumma” he moved to the edge of the bed but she stepped back. “I just wanted to ask what you would like for dinner” she was looking at him as if he were crazy.

“I’m not hungry” Great, Jiyong was making him go crazy.

                                                                         ***

“Jiyong please hand me the file of the last patient we saw” Mirae said to her youngest, they were at her clinic. After complaining about Eun Hyuk seeing him more than she did, Jiyong volunteered at her clinic but worked shorter hours. She didn’t want to overwhelm him, “Thanks

Jiyong watched his mother, shook his head and smiled, “Mom, you’ve looked at ten files since I’ve been here, and the last patient had the common cold. I know it’s still bothering you” She slammed the file on the table, “Of course it’s bothering me. I just want to know what happened between the two of you” It was very unlike her two sons to keep things from her, “ I just feel like I’m losing you two”, her voice broke.

“Oh mom, don’t try that heartbroken mother thing on me. That acting class you took was a sham”

“FINE”! She sighed. She wished she could be as patient as Eun Hyuk was, but she couldn’t. She took another look at her youngest, ever since Jiyong moved, he seemed to have gotten more mature somehow, or maybe it was because she wasn’t seeing him walk in Seunghyun’s shadow anymore. Jiyong seemed more confident. “I just wish things could go back to the way they are”

Me too’ Jiyong wanted to say, “But it can’t” he said instead. Yes he missed Seunghyun, he missed him alot but Seunghyun used him and as much as he wanted to hate Seunghyun, he couldn’t bring himself to. That was part of the reason he chose to leave, he was ready to keep being used by Seunghyun just to get close to him but that wasn’t right. He was a person with feelings. He almost didn’t leave, especially the evening Seunghyun gripped him, and told him that he wanted to live under the same roof. He was ready to change his mind, and did, until Seunghyun mentioned reading his journal. ‘You’re such a fool Jiyong’ He wrote his deep and personal things in that journal, things he couldn’t even admit to himself. “I just hope you can find it in your heart to forgive my stupid son, whatever he may have done to you” He felt his mother’s hands on his, giving him comfort. He missed her. He missed her a lot, and was sad that she and Eun Hyuk had to be dragged into the drama. “If anything... I choose you. Eun Hyuk and I are on your side”.

He was thankful for Eun Hyuk and Mirae, they were the best things that ever happened to him. When he turned eighteen, he was finally allowed to use his trust fund, which was more money that he’d ever thought possible, and although Eun Hyuk wanted to pay for his housing, he decided to use the money from the trust fund, it was less direct, although it was still their money. He hated thinking about it as ‘their’ and ‘my’, it was as if he was excluding himself from the family, and the first time he accidentally said it in front of Mirae, he had to sit through another long hour of looking through photo albums, and long talks of how they were all a family, a family of love. “Thanks mom”

“And you know I’m here if you need to talk... I’ll run off in the middle of performing an open heart surgery if I have to” She continued, and Jiyong rolled his eyes, “Mom, you know you’ve said that everyday since I moved out right”?

“I have to since you don’t seem to get it through that thick skull of yours”

“Mom I have to go it’s getting late...” Jiyong stood from the chair he was sitting, and Mirae realized what was different about him, “The landlord wants to see me, I hope I didn’t do anything wrong”. Jiyong was no longer the sickly teenager he once was, he hadn’t been for a while, but now Jiyong’s cheek had filled out and he was looking as handsome as ever, “Mom, why are you looking at me like that”

“Nothing, it’s just that you look so handsome”

“MOM”! Jiyong grew red, it wasn’t just her... a lot of people had been saying so recently, especially guys. Guys he thought would never in a billion years like him, some had even asked for his number, and some girls. “Mom you’re embarrassing me”. He’d lived more in the past two weeks than he ever had in his entire life. “I’m just saying.... healthy looks good on you” She smiled, “and speaking of healthy, did you tell doctor Kim to withhold your medical info from your father and I”?

Yes...I... I just want to be a grownup”

“Okay, but you have to tell us if something goes wrong... since we can’t force either you or the doc to disclose it” she sighed, “Jeez Jiyong, what are you going to do next, file for emancipation”?

“I would if you keep asking what went wrong between Seunghyun and I” he kidded, before kissing her on the cheek, “See you tomorrow mom... I don’t have to volunteer all week so we can go shopping during lunch”.

“Oh yeah we will... and we’ll have a lot to talk about”

                                                                 ***

Jiyong stopped by the hospital to drop a snack for Minhyuk, and was pleased to find out that the older man was done for the day, “So how was your day”? Minhyuk asked on the walk back to the apartment, which was only a few blocks down from the hospital. “It was fine, I finished the book you gave me, and stopped by to see my mom”

“That’s good” he felt Minhyuk’s arm brush his, Minhyuk had been getting closer each day, and there were days when he was sure that Minhyuk liked him but he wasn’t sure. They caught up as they continued the walk to the apartment,

“It would be officially summer tomorrow” Minhyuk said at they entered the apartment building, “I’m glad I finally convinced you to take the week off” they rode the elevator up. “If it were up to me, you’d take the entire summer off” Jiyong laughed at that. “Jiyong”?

“Yes hyung”?

“Do you miss home”? They weren’t walking anymore; they were standing outside their apartment door. “No” Jiyong lied.

“Jiyong you never told me what actually happened” Minhyuk stepped closer, “As much as I love that you’re living here, I feel as though you’re running away”

“I’m not running away” Jiyong looked to his feet, “Really”? Minhyuk lifted Jiyong’s head by the chin so that they were face to face, “So you’re trying to tell me that, the day after you text me admitting that Seunghyun hurt you, you make up your mind about moving in here”

“Yes” Jiyong lied.

“And Seunghyun had nothing to do with it” “No” he lied again. “So you don’t have feelings for him anymore” Minhyuk took another step toward him, but he felt nothing. A whiff of Seunghyun’s perfume could make a nuclear bomb go off in his chest, and yet here he was, standing awfully close to a very handsome man who was starting to stoke his cheek and he felt nothing.

“I...”

“Good God, we’ve been waiting for you two” Siwon, Minhyuk’s roommate opened the door to the suite, making Jiyong take a brisk step back, “ooooh what were you two doing”? Siwon winked at Jiyong.

“Nothing hyung”

“Jiyong it’s okay” Siwon winked again, “I’m sure Minnie here will tell me later” Not only were Siwon and Minhyuk roommates, they were also best friends. Siwon, was going to be a pediatrician, a job Jiyong thought was most suitable for him, given his playful nature.

“Siwon, you fool. Is it time to play around”? Taehyun, one of the suitemates punched Siwon on the shoulder. Taehyun was the oldest, he was twenty-seven, and was specializing in oncology, which usually took about two years longer to complete. “Guys we have a problem”. Taehyun led them in. Taehyun was both kind and quiet, and a bit of a loner. He paid for two spots; he paid twice the rent so he wouldn’t have a roommate. His father was a senator, and Jiyong only found out because Mirae recorgnized him , and he her. 

“First of all why are you guys so late, It’s 10 pm” Siwon spoke first, “The landlord wanted to wait to see the four of us together but he couldn’t wait for you two so we had the meeting without you”

“What was it about”? Minhyuk threw his bag on the couch. There were three bedrooms in the suite, a kitchen that had a table that sat six people, and a living room. Each room had two beds and was quite spacious, although it was smaller than his room back home, but then Jiyong always reminded himself that not everyone lived in mansions.

“Our Jiyong here has a roommate”! Taehyun said, a bit louder than his usual tone of voice.

“Me”? Jiyong’s eyes grew wide, he knew he was bound to have a roommate soon but he had gotten comfortable having the room to himself.

“Yes you, doe eyes”! Siwon kidded before getting serious again, “The dude was such a pompous ... he complained about everything. Apparently everything in the apartment was too small for his taste”

“Yes” Taehyun added, “He was so rude, and I don’t even know why he was allowed in this apartment.. He had no books, I don’t even think he has brains”

“Wow he must be really bad for Taehyun hyung to complain” Jiyong was suddenly scared of this new roommate.

“Worse” Siwon laughed, “He made Taehyun hyung and I carry his luggage, and when we asked how old he was, he didn’t tell,” Jiyong heard Taehyun sigh, “He joined the two beds, and put on his headphones when we tried to tell him that he couldn’t do it.” 

“Wait he’s here”? Minhyuk spoke this time. “Yeah Minnie, haven’t you been listening? The dude came with only two luggages”

“Does he go to our school, or is he in undergrad”? Minhyuk asked the other two boys while Jiyong just stood there. "I don't think so" Siwon answered

“Jiyong don’t worry about it, we’re going to talk to the landlord tomorrow, he can’t just let anyone in” Taehyun reassured him with a faint smile.

“But he let me in”

“Yeah but you aren’t a ” Siwon was now beside him, face full of mischief.

“Didn’t your parents teach you not to talk about people behind their backs” A voice said behind them, and all four boys turned to toward the sound, “It’s a bit rude, is it not”?

 “Seunghyun”? Jiyong grew pale, “What are you doing here”?

“Oh” Seunghyun walked toward the fridge, “Hey roomie” he pulled out a bottle of water and downed it.

“Seunghyun what are you doing here”? Minhyuk asked this time, earning a few confused looks from both Siwon and Taehyun. “Wait, you guys know him”? Siwon asked.

Minhyuk growled, “Yeah he’s Jiyong’s older brother”

“He’s not my brother” Jiyong said glaring at Seunghyun who seemed unfazed by it all, “I was adopted, and he’s noting but a stranger to me”

“Okay I’m confused, if he is your brother... why is he here” Siwon asked, “And most of all why did you act like you didn’t know who Jiyong was”? he asked Seunghyun.

“And miss the expression on his face”? Seunghyun pointed at Jiyong.  

“Let me get this straight” Taehyun sighed, “This is Mirae ajumma’s son”? He laughed sarcastically, “I guess apples do fall very far away from the tree”

“Yeah, I mean Jiyong’s mom is amazing” Siwon crossed his hand across his shoulder, “And wait… didn’t she say her son was eighteen”? Siwon remembered how bossy Seunghyun was earlier.

“Yeah she also said her son had s for brains, I’m paraphrasing of course” Taemin took a sit.

“Why are you here Seunghyun”? Jiyong asked, his eyes hadn’t left Seunghyun since he walked into the living room. 

“I promised to never leave you, didn't I youngie”? Seunghyun smirked.

 

A/N: Thanks for all the birthday wishes, I love you guys soooooooooooo much :)