Chapter 40

Hey you...
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You frowned at the dog. It was staring at you and you side stepped it to walk around it and its eyes and head followed your movements. You quickened you steps and it followed you. You stopped and turned around to look disapprovingly down at it but it only wagged its tail. You gestured for it to go away but it wagged its tail faster which wasn’t the response you were aiming for. You adjusted the strap of your sports duffle bag on your shoulder before letting out a sigh. You turned around and began walking, ignoring the sound of the dog’s paws following you.

It was Nunji’s fault. Like always. She had dropped you off a whole block away from your school because she was running late which in turn made you late. The tires had squealed as she blazed off in her car to drop off Mieun at the daycare. Well, she sped off at about fifty kilometers per hour which was the max speed she drove at with her daughter in the vehicle. Her cautious driving had set you back a good twenty minutes and you weren’t looking forward to disrupting class with your tardy slip. You did have Nunji’s handwritten excuse with you at least. You patted you blazer pocket where you had stuffed the slip of paper you made your sister write before you had left the house.

With the dog by your side, you made it to the school gate. The school official wasn’t at his post and you sighed, counting your lucky stars. The dog panted as it followed you as you kept a look out for anyone who would catch you. At the door, you frowned at the dog once again while thinking about whether it was okay to leave it. The school gatekeeper will probably chase it off school grounds or call animal control anyway. You met the dog’s eyes and gave it a firm stare before closing the door.

You heard it scratch the door but you continued walking to the main office. You presented the secretary your note and she smiled at you in recognition. “Good morning! Running a bit late aren’t you?”

You made a noncommittal response as you smiled awkwardly back at her. She eyed your duffle’s strap.

“Oh! That’s right! I wish you luck with your practice! I was once a volleyball player myself. It was so fun! I’m sure you’ll really enjoy the sport. Oh! I may be able to go to your games as well!”

You tried not to wince at the volume she was talking at. You mentally urged her to write out your tardy slip faster as you wondered where the other, much quieter secretary was.

She passed you the slip of paper with another wish of luck. You smiled again and quickly walked out of the office.

You walked down the empty hallways as lectures echoed out of the classrooms. You made a face as you approached your class and took a deep breath before straightening your shoulders. You opened the door and every face turned to stare at you. You let out your breath and purposely walked to the literature teacher. He didn’t stop with his lecture as he held out his hand to you and you dropped the paper in his hand before walking down the aisle to your seat. You felt your face heat up but you kept your expression impassive. You had to maneuver your gym bag around so you wouldn’t hit Yoohyuk’s head as you slipped behind him to get to your seat. You dropped your bag down by your chair and pushed it under your desk as best as you could.

The lecture continued as you took out your materials for the class. When you were settled in, you did your best to catch up on what the teacher was saying. The class went by fast and soon the next teacher came into the room.  

Nothing happened except your entrance for the rest of the morning though you had to catch yourself from daydreaming multiple times but you couldn’t help it especially with your anticipation for your first ever practice mounting. You had expectations, that, you will admit. Whether those will be met, good or bad, would at least be something.

It was during break when you were approached by Jimri. “Hey Mikyungie,” she waved at you and Yoohyuk made himself spare by mumbling an excuse before walking away. She took his empty seat and you felt cornered. Your eyes darted to Taekwoon who wasn’t even at his desk.

“What did you bring for practice? Did you bring an energy drink or just water? Do you have any pointers for practice? Do you want to practice a little during lunch? We can even eat together too!” she gushed.

Your smile wasn’t natural at all. “Um. Okay?”

“That’s gr—,” she was cut off.

“We already reserved Mikyungie for lunch. I’m sorry.” Ken was walking down the aisle. He smiled at you, “Didn’t we Mikyungie? Remember we have to bother Leo-hyung and try to get him to blush so I can take a picture of that and frame it for you and me?”

You frowned at his rambling but nodded nonetheless.

Jimri looked between you and him. She looked a little upset, “How about tomorrow Mikyungie? Are we still meeting up to buy our volleyball gear?”

You reluctantly nodded, feeling that it would be too much if you turned her down.

Her smile was back in full force as she pushed herself up from her seat, “Did you want to meet at the mall? Or would you like to have lunch first before we start shopping?”

“Mall.”

“That’s what I was thinking,” she nodded enthusiastically. “See you at practice.” She abruptly left.

Just as you thought you would have some peace at last, Ken took Yoohyuk’s seat. “Mikyungie,” he nodded to you before he dropped his head on the desk.

Your eyes widened a bit at that but you dismissed it and turned your attention to the view outside. It was as clear as the scattered clouds would allow but the sun was shining which did brighten up things. A throat clearing stole you from your view of what looked like a crow hopping around on the field. Taekwoon removed Ken from his resting area none too gently to Ken’s displeasure, “Hyung, I’m trying to rest. You guys kept me up last night with that game.”

Taekwoon didn’t answer as he pushed him away before taking Yoohyuk’s seat.  You met his eyes as Ken walked off mumbling, “Stupid Overwatch.” One side of Taekwoon’s lips went up and you felt yours do the same before you both looked away. He idly tapped his fingers on the wood of the desk as you returned to your birdwatching. That was interrupted when the dog that had followed you ran onto the field while it barked at the black bird you were watching.

Next to you, Taekwoon nudged you. Your head turned to him just as the dog started to sniff the ground. The English homework sat in between you two and you gave him a look showing your displeasure. He shrugged at you and moved the paper closer to you before reaching behind him to grab his English textbook. He was prepared now as he opened the book to the chapter your class was on. He moved his chair closer to you as he bent over the paper and started to write. His name at least. He looked up at you while raising his eyebrows expectantly.

Your eyes remained locked on his as you moved a little closer. You let out a loud sigh so he could hear it but he only smirked. With you watching, he started to write. He stumbled a few times and you showed him the sections in the textbook that would help him. Your time together was cut off by the bell but he had finished about half. The rest could easily be done during lunch.

He gave you a real smile as he packed up and you returned it wholeheartedly as Yoohyuk waited for his desk. Now that you had something to look forward to for lunch, the time dragged. You felt like the morning classes took longer than usual and you were not as attentive to the lectures as you normally were. The teacher’s words seemed to go in one ear and out the other with nothing really sticking. You knew you would regret that later but Taekwoon was on your mind.

It felt like as your feelings grew, the more he was on your mind. Now that you had grown to welcome and acknowledge the changes he brought within you, he was becoming more important and at the same time distracting.  A balance was needed, you were starting to realize.

But you weren’t about to figure that out now as the lunch bell rang. So you decided to file that away for later when you had more time to deliberate on that further.

You barely noticed Yoohyuk leaving as Taekwoon took your lunch but today, he also had his own. You tried not to let your surprise show but he still caught on as he gave you a knowing look. He had his textbook and homework with him as you both left the room, not bothering to wait for his friends which they later berated you for, specifically, when they caught up.

“You’re supposed to be the good one Mikyungie,” N shook his head in disappointment.  When you only hummed in response as Taekwoon glared at his friend. “You were supposed to keep him in control too.” N’s eyes narrowed on his friend, “Are you tainting her Leo?”

“She’s going to the dark side now!” Ken into the conversation. “Pretty soon she’s going to be hitting us.”

N rolled his eyes, “Mikyungie won’t get to that stage.”

“You never know hyung. Did our kindergarten selves think the same thing when we met Leo? Did we?!”

You looked at the three of them hearing that. You had never been sure how long they had known each other so that was something to hear.

Taekwoon continued with his glare and took a threatening step to them and N didn’t flinch but Ken’s eyes narrowed in return though he did get behind N, “Oh, what a sweet and innocent child Leo hyung was.” You looked at Ken expectantly, hoping for a glimpse of what Taekwoon was like as a child and Ken smiled widely at you. “I see I have peaked your interest, Mikyungie.”

You eyed him for a second before reluctantly nodding. Taekwoon put his hand on your lower back and urged you to walk faster. You both cut the corner into the first year’s hallway as Ken was about to get ready with his first attack.

“Jung Taekwoon as a child had always been a little firecracker. You see, he’s the youngest in his family and he was also the only boy so he was always babied--,” you felt the hand pushing you disappear and Ken was against the wall. “I’m just kidding hyung. I wasn’t going to tell her how you always threw tantrums--,” he was cut off again as Taekwoon covered his mouth. He turned to you and waved you to keep walking but you remained standing in your spot. The students passing by stopped to watch but with N’s urging, they had walked on, “Nothing to see here. It always happens. Let’s go Mikyungie,” he tried to guide you away but your eyes narrowed at him in defiance. “Please Mikyungie,” he dropped his voice, “I’ll tell you all about Leo later.” He stealthily held his hand out to you so his friends wouldn’t see and you shook it resolutely.

You let him lead you away and you saw the relief in Taekwoon’s face before his expression hardened as he looked at the cornered boy. “I wasn’t going to tell her anything hyung! I swear I wasn’t! Not about the times you always stole my candy or when you--,” the door closed behind you and N though Ken’s voice could still be heard, though muffled.

The younger boys had already rearranged the desk and had set up the drinks with the addition of two extra ones. N must have noticed the additions as he asked, “Who’s joining us? And why did you only get them water?”

Hongbin was the one who answered, “I bumped into Eunkwang and Minhyuk this morning and they asked if they could eat with us.”

N nodded as you sat down in the seat you sat in last time.

“Where’s your lunch noona?” Hyuk took the seat next to you. He gave you a pleading look.

You pointed at the door just as the two missing members walked in. Taekwoon had both of your lunches in hand and his homework in the other. The paper was crumbled up as he dumped his hand’s content on the open desk next to you.

Ken had a sly look on his face as he surprisingly smiled at everyone. “Let’s eat! I’m starving.”

You shared a look with N as you looked between Ken and Taekwoon.

“Leo hyung,” Ravi leaned forward, “Do you want to play a little later? I want to warm up for practice.”

“We’re waiting for Eunkwang and Minhyuk,” N spoke to Ken.

“The weather outside is good enough to play,” Hongbin commented while looking out the window..

“Did you cook this noona?” Hyuk’s eyes hungrily roved over your food as you unveiled each dish.

You shook your head at him at the same time Taekwoon pushed his lunch to you, ignoring Ravi.

“When are they getting here? Mikyung noona’s food is getting cold,” Hyuk whined.

You opened Taekwoon’s lunch and set aside the kimbab away from the rest of the food to share with him.

N looked at Hongbin, “Did you tell them we’re eating here?”

“Ah,” Hongbin trailed off, “I think I did.”

N rolled his eyes at the younger boy, “I’ll text Minhyukie then.” He pulled out his phone.

“That’ll take them longer to get here,” Hyuk groaned.

Ken had already tried to snatch some food from you and you glared at him as you used your chopsticks to smack his away.

“Mikyungie,” he looked put out. “What did I just say a while ago? Are you going to hit me now?”

Taekwoon only sighed as he opened his book and did his best to smooth out his homework. You did your best to fend off Ken’s attacks as you helped Taekwoon until the other two boys came.

“Stop it.” It was just after you had stopped Ken for the fifth time when Taekwoon spoke. Taekwoon was glaring at Ken who smirked in return.

“Uh-oh,” Hyuk said in an undertone as he watched the two of them.

“Mikyungie,” Ken was still smirking as he continued to watch Taekwoon. “Did you know about--,” Taekwoon stood up.

Thankfully, the last two boys to join came in at the right moment. “Sorry we’re late. We were waiting in your classroom this whole time,” Eunkwang apologized. “Oh! Mikyung is here too!” you were watching Taekwoon as he slowly sat down still watching Ken with narrowed eyes.

“Have a seat,” N called out to them. “We were waiting here for you guys.”

“Ken didn’t eat the food yet?” Minhyuk took the seat directly across from you with a smile you didn’t like.

You patted Taekwoon’s leg and tapped his homework, trying to redirect his attention. He huffed as he resumed his writing but the grip on his pencil showed his frustration and anger. Without any thought, you rubbed his back until he wasn’t about to break the pencil.

“Let’s eat then!” N called out. “Can you put your work away Leo?” He was ignored as Taekwoon finished up on a sen

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter