Chapter 1

Hey you...
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You stared at your ceiling and sighed.

It’s starting again.

You sat up and stretched your limbs out. Your body slumped back again, already missing the warmth the blankets provided you. Sighing again, you threw the blankets away and slipped out of your bed. With your feet dragging, you headed to the bathroom while avoiding looking at any reflective surface. Just as you closed the door you heard the newest addition to your family crying downstairs. Groaning, you quickly washed up and left the bathroom. Your sister was making her way upstairs with her newborn baby in her arms.

“Yah! Hurry up! Mom told me drop you off for your first day back to school.” You nodded as a yawn escaped your body. Satisfied with your response she started to head back down before she stopped, “Oh, try and come back right after school so you can watch Mieun for me. Please?” You merely nodded again in reply shuffling past her back to your bedroom. “Okay. Thank you my favorite sister,” she winked at you which you ignored and shut the door. Her words didn't mean anything since you were her only sister. You heard her laugh and then her footsteps walking down the stairs. Faintly, you could hear her talking to your mom.

Your uniform was already on a hanger, freshly ironed the night before with your bag stationed next to it, teeming with new school supplies. You quickly dressed before brushing out your hair that reached your lower back. You fixed it into a loose bun and stepped into your shoes. You snatched your bag up and left your room. Your shoes made muffled sounds as you walked downstairs.

“AAAAHHHHH,” was the sound that greeted you once you reached the kitchen your mother and sister were in. You sat down in your usual chair and automatically held your hands out to take the baby into your arms. Your sister carefully placed her daughter into your arms with a small frown. Once Mieun was in your arms she quieted, whimpering occasionally.

“Aish,” your mother lightly smacked your sister’s head once she cursed and placed a bowl of kimchi on the table. “What?! It’s not fair,” she pouted, “I mean I went through labor for that baby and she always stops crying for Mikyung.” You flashed a smug smile at your sister which only made her mad. “Yah!”

“Why do you always have to bring up this fight every morning? Hmm?” your mother asked exasperatedly. “It’s too early to be yelling like you always do.”

“But mmooooommm!”

“Okay, okay it’s not fair,” your mother assented as you swayed lightly in your seat, gently rocking the infant in your arms.

You looked down at the tiny face that gazed up at the ceiling just like you had this morning. You traced the plumpness of her cheeks and reveled in the softness.

“Mikyung?” at your name you looked up to see your mom looking at you, “I made bimibap for your lunch, is that okay?”

“Yes,” your voice was slightly husky and you cleared your throat.

“Okay then. Your sister should be making the kimchi fried rice to go along with that too,” she looked at your sister expectantly.

Your sister huffed, “Fine,” she walked back to the stove and quickly got busy. Satisfied, your mother left to finish getting ready for the day. Your sister constantly checked on her daughter and you held her up so she could see her. In little to no time, your sister was at your side making faces at her baby forgetting the pan on the stove.

“Nunji,” your mother scolded your sister as she shuffled toward the stove where the rice was left unattended.

“Sorry, sorry,” Nunji took her place again by the stove.

“Oh dear, I wonder how Hwangin is going to find your cooking when he comes back from his service.” Your mother said, effectively making your sister blush. Hwangin was Nunji’s fiancée who was currently fulfilling his mandatory military service.

Once all of the food for breakfast was on the table, you shifted your niece around in your arms so you could grab your chopsticks with your right hand.

“Your father is coming tomorrow so can one of you go to the store today and get some things for dinner tomorrow?” your mother looked excited which easily made you smile. Your dad was actually a general in the army and constantly on the military base so you didn’t get to see him that often.

“Don't worry mom, we’ll both go,” Nunji answered for the both of you. You raised your eyebrows at her remembering what she had asked you to do earlier, “What? That way you won’t have to watch Mieun all day and I’m pretty sure I can get off

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter