Chapter 3

Hey you...
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Mikyung!” your sister shouted as you walked through the doorway to her office. Your surprise had worked and you mentally patted yourself on the back. You flashed her a smile and lifted up the car seat that held your niece. “Mieun!” she rushed over so fast, the force of her rolling chair hitting the wall made you wince.

This was how your surprise visit to Nunji’s work was a success. Now you were in her car with Mieun strapped in her car seat in the back.

“Hahaha then he said-“ she made a snort-like noise, “he said-“ she was in the middle of her usual stories, gasping for air like usual. You idly played with your fingers as you gave her half of your attention because she sometimes liked to ask you to repeat what she said to check if you were listening.

“He said, ‘Here’s your diaper,’” she cackled and you let a smile out. She had been babbling about her day, easily filling in the silence. Whenever she stopped at a stop light she always checked on her daughter who had been sleeping ever since you picked her up. Your sister had sent you a fake glare as she fawned all over the two of you though she exaggerated a great deal. You still felt a tingly feeling in your right cheek which she had pinched in her excitement. You looked out the window and leaned against it still listening with one ear as you caught coherent words here and there. You saw yourself a little in the side view mirror and your cheek was tinged a light shade of pink.

Nunji was still laughing as she pulled into the parking lot of the supermarket your family preferred. She was still giggling as you two walked through the sliding doors with you carrying Mieun. You guided her through the aisles, picking out the ingredients for the king crab stew your dad loved. Mieun had woken up halfway into the shopping which helped sober your sister up. Your sister had finally calmed down as you were paying for the groceries. You had grown a thick skin to any kind of looks or words thrown your way largely thanks to her so the disapproving stares were normal for you regarding her extra extrovert personality.

You were soon back home unloading the groceries while your sister took Mieun in. Your mom’s car was in the driveway signifying her presence in the house. Hopefully your dad’s car will be parked by hers when you get back from school tomorrow. You quickly headed inside as it was getting colder as the sun started to disappear.                            

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

“Ummm Mikyung?,” you turned around when you heard an unfamiliar male voice addressing you formally. Your sister had just dropped you off at the school gates and you were fixing the strap of your bag that was digging into your shoulder. Your classmate N stared at you and he shuffled his feet once he had your attention. “Uhhh, yeah, I saw you and I just wanted to say hi,” he trailed off.

You nodded to him in response, not really knowing what to say to him. He smiled back to you and held out both of his hands, gesturing for you to start walking. Still confused, you looked at him oddly before taking a step forward. He let you set the pace and shortened his long strides to match yours. You didn’t feel the need to fill in the silence like usual and he didn’t seem to mind, so you faced forward and walked leisurely.

However, it wasn’t long before he started talking, “You kind of remind me of Leo, you know?” You gave him a questioning look and catching your response, he continued, “Taekwoon? He’s in our class. But anyway, I mean like you’re both very introverted.”

You shrugged your shoulders. It wasn’t the first time you heard that but it was a first hearing there was someone like you. For as long as you can remember, there hadn’t been anyone that was as quiet as yourself which could be a reason why you didn’t have any close friends. The people you grew up with you saw as just a familiar acquaintance majority of the time.

While walking up the path to the main entrance, the both of you garnered attention from the students who were also there, similar to the day before. People were watching you guys and you waved at them. Most of them quickly looked away while a few awkwardly waved back.

N noticed of course and waved back as well. “Do you know them?”

You merely shook your head making him confused. You reached the doors and opened them before he could. You didn’t bother opening them very wide, only enough so you could slip in. It was rude of you but you weren’t about to change your habits for someone you barely knew. With the exception of elders of course, you thought as you saw the elderly librarian carrying a stack of books. You rushed over to her and bowed before holding out your hands for the books she had. She smiled sweetly at you before handing them over. You followed after her as she shuffled to the teacher’s lounge. Once there you made sure she was settled in a seat before you left, bowing your way out.

“Such a nice girl,” you heard her say. You blushed only to find N waiting for you in the hallway.

“That was nice

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter