Chapter 38

Hey you...
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You had Taekwoon’s phone in your hand and you watched as the minutes drifted down until there were five minutes left on the clock. You had been paying more attention to the game and so far, it was still a tie. Now at the sidelines, there was you, Eunkwang, Hongbin, and Ken.

The second half was just as violent as the first half if not more so but your side took it in stride. You looked across the field where there were just two other boys who were watching the remaining game with hawk eyes. They looked just as battered up like your friends and they were just itching to get back in the game.

“Argh!”

“I told you we shouldn’t have told them about the ten minute mark!” Hongbin hit Ken on the side.

Eunkwang got Ken on the other side, “Now they’re playing like this is the last game of their lives!”

“Wait! Watch Leo hyung!”

But that was what you were doing this whole time. While they were getting mad at Ken, you watched as Taekwoon was passed the ball from Ravi who tore down the field with Xiumin in the wings to get ready. Taekwoon passed two defenders before he kicked the ball at Ravi who kicked the ball in an arc toward the waiting boy on the other side of the field. Xiumin quickly centered the ball before taking the chance to score.

“Yes!”

“Good play!”

“We’re up ahead by one now!”

You looked down at the phone. The screen had timed out and you had to bring it back to life. The picture was staring you in the face but you only swiped back to the app for the timer. You started to time the seconds down until it finally reached zero. The phones that were strewn about on the grass around you went off around the same time.

“That’s the game.”

“Yes! We won!”

“Good shot from Xiumin hyung.”

You stood up from your spot on the field and shook your legs out a little. You had been in the same position for the last half of the game and it had worn out your senses in your bottom half. You hadn’t realized how tense your muscles were as you did your best to loosen them up. You ped your jacket and tied it around your waist as the sun beat down on you.

The small crowd that had gathered around the game started to disperse with a few people cheering.

The triumphant boys returned with tired smiles and the smell of sweat following after them. All of them headed straight for the case of water you and the maknae had dragged over. The number of empty water bottles soon piled up until all that was left was the plastic that had encased the bottles. The boys had plopped down on the grass; most of them heavily breathing with exhaustion clear on their faces.

The subs were drifting here and there speaking excitedly about the last play.

Taekwoon stood next to you guzzling down his water and you wordlessly held out the bottle you had been holding on to for him when he had emptied his first bottle. He took it from you while giving you a smirk making you frown. He looked away from you but was still smirking as he downed the bottle. His hair was plastered down on his forehead and you watched as a droplet of sweat ran down the side of his face before it dangled low on his jaw bone. You looked away.

Across the field, the boys they had been playing against were packing up and leaving.

Taekwoon nudged you and sat down on the grass. You sat down next to him as the boys caught their breath around you two.

“Good job everyone,” Suho had the strength to say.

“Nice planning at the end for the offense,” N added.

“Let’s just hope we play like that during our official games,” Ravi sighed.

Xiumin eyed him, “Then we’ll most likely be playing against you.”

“And we know all of your tricks now,” Chen smirked at Taekwoon who didn’t even look at him. He was too busy flipping your hair over your shoulder. You hit his shoulder when he did that. A few strands had tangled together and when his ran through it, it tugged at your scalp. Your hand rubbed where you had felt the sting of pain. With that, you started combing your hair with your hands.

“Aigoo, our Leo sure changed,” Minhyuk was smiling but it looked off.

Neither you nor Taekwoon paid him any mind as he finished off his bottle. He tossed his empty bottle in your lap which you threw back at his face. The plastic bounced off his head and he stared at you slightly gaping. You glared at him and his mouth closed with a pop. He glared back and scooted closer to you while unscrewing the bottle. He shook the bottle at you which would have been devastating had it actually contained water in it but only a few droplets landed on your face. You swiped the water off of your cheeks and pushed him away.

“They’re so cute!” Chen exclaimed.

“The sight is sickness inducing.”

Hongbin stood up on shaky legs, “Tch, ignore them. Let’s go watch a movie now.”

“I’m hungry. Let’s eat first before anything else.”

“And we have Leo here to pay for us,” Ravi smiled at him.

“Suho is here too!”

 “Whatever, let’s go eat now.”

“That game took a lot of energy.”

“Pick up your bottles first!”

As they did as they were told, a group of girls were walking by and they all became unusually quiet. Only when the girls were gone did they start speaking. You watched them closely and most of them snuck peeks at the girls. Taekwoon stepped in your line of vision that moment, breaking off your observations. He stared at you with a blank expression before he took the bottles you had collected. You kept the one that you had been drinking from and quickly finished what was left.

The boys had started to leave one by one and you two were at the tail end.

It was only when you two were a good distance away from the others when he talked, “What time do you have to be back home?” he asked you quietly.

You looked up at him and took your time answering, “Probably in an hour.” He continued to stare at you and you met his eyes straight on. “I have homework.” You gave him a meaningful look which effectively caused him to look away. He walked up to a trash can and deposited the bottles inside and you tossed yours in. You missed as it hit the rim and he chuckled at your miss. He picked up your bottle and tossed it in.

It was quiet as you both followed the boys to a nearby pizzeria. Inside, the staff had trouble putting tables together for your large group but they managed in the end. As everyone took their seats, you took a seat in between Taekwoon and Ken.

Ice water was brought over as a refresher and Taekwoon subtly moved his chair closer to you.

Chatter went around until Suho, who sat across from you, asked, “So how did you and Mikyung meet?” He looked at Taekwoon but it was Ken that answered.

“We officially met on the seventh day of school.” He looked over the small menu.

“Uh, I don’t think he was talking to you hyung,” Hyuk casually inputted.

“I know.” He smiled at everyone before turning back to the menu.

N intervened, “They met on the first day of school.”

“Of this year?” Su

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter