Chapter 13

Hey you...
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Awww my poor poor baby,” Nunji cooed to her daughter in the backseat. You spared a glance at the rearview mirror to see her make a funny face at her daughter who smiled. Your attention went back to the road as the light turned green

Driving, you focused on the road as your sister continued making baby noises. Now that  Mieun’s appointment was over and done with, all seemed to be well as the doctor assured the three concerned women that the baby only had the flu. But due to her age, it might be a little too much for her at times. The doctor had advised Nunji to feed her more often and the added nutrients would help quicken her recovery.

 You the right signal indicating you were about to turn. You looked into the side view mirror and took a quick look behind before turning the steering wheel while lightly pressing the brake pedal to slow the car down. Times like these made you grateful your parents, mainly your dad, pushed you to get your driving license. Since your mom had taken her own car and Nunji hadn’t want to be separated from her daughter at the moment, so that left you as the driver to take your sister and niece home.  You didn’t mind since it had been a while since you had driven and your dad had kept advising you to practice when he calls.

You drove through the familiar streets of your neighborhood until your house finally came into view. Your mom beat you home since her car was parked in its usual spot and the lights were on in the house. You pulled up alongside the street in front of the house before putting the car in park and then turned the car off. It became quiet as you looked around without the purr of the car and news update from the radio you had been listening to.

In the backseat, Nunji looked around confused, “We’re already home?” her eyes caught yours in the rearview mirror, “Did you speed on the way here?” You rolled your eyes at the baseless accusation as you began to gather your stuff from the passenger seat. You opened the door and pulled your school bag on first then placed your gym bag over your shoulders. When they were securely on, you made your way to the other door behind the driver’s seat.

On the other side of the car the door opened as Nunji stepped out. Nunji started to unbuckle Mieun’s car seat from its holder and you grabbed your niece’s diaper bag as well as Nunji’s briefcase and purse. By that time Nunji was already on her way up the walkway leaving you to lock up the car. You had to do this manually since there was a problem with the key remote that Nunji had been meaning to get fixed but never did.

 “We’re home Mieunnie,” you heard your sister say as she opened the front door and walked through. You didn’t miss the slight spring in your sister’s step that had been missing these past few days. She left the door open for you and with the multiple bags on your body you quickly walked inside.

You softly smiled as you closed the car doors. You were so relieved there wasn’t anything seriously wrong with Mieun. Your eyes had been watery when you heard the doctor’s reassurances that Mieun would be perfectly fine. The sense of relief you felt after learning Mieun only had the flu was immense. All this time you had been worried it was something serious but the doctor’s words put you at ease although you were still a little worried since Mieun was still sick. But now that you learned it was the common flu and not some disease you were a little happier. Your mother’s tense stature had relaxed and the worry lines in your sister’s forehead disappeared completely.  Nunji’s bright personality was back and you were trying not to get annoyed by the baby voice she kept using whenever she talked to Mieun somewhere in the house.

Your mom was mom was in a better mood which was evident when you heard her humming coming from the kitchen as she prepared dinner. You walked by the kitchen and dining room into the living room. Nunji was nowhere in sight so you went upstairs to put all of the bags you had away. First you walked to Nunji’s room but she wasn’t in there. You deposited her stuff onto her bed along with the diaper bag and left the room to drop off your own bags down the hall in your own room.  You unceremoniously dumped your bags onto the floor beside the bed and stretched a little.

You still felt some aches from your games this morning and it felt like that pain in your shoulder had intensified a little. You grimaced as you stretched out your arms.  You rotated your shoulder to try and alleviate the pain but it didn’t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter