Chapter 5

I'm gonna get you good

Robin had set the alarm for 6.45am the next morning but found herself awake about 15 minutes earlier. She sat up on her bed and rubbed her face harshly a few times to get rid of the morning headache. With her eyes still closed and reluctant to open, she could hear the sound of Baekhyun’s singing alternating between the sound of his showers. It wasn’t very clear but she noticed that he had a pretty good voice. Not wanting to fall back asleep but had no energy to get up either, Robin remained in her quiet sitting position and try to mentally prepare herself for the third day of school. Then she remembered that there was a singing class today, finally!

 

“ Oh hey, morning ,” Baekhyun greeted her with a deep voice. It made him sound like a croaking frog. Robin sniggered to herself.

 

“ What?” Baekhyun asked as he towered his hair dry. Robin shook her head and looked up at him. She was immediately shocked by Baekhyun, who was walking towards his wardrobe only in his boxers, shirtless. In a split second, Robin noticed that he was lean but wasn’t scrawny like she thought he was. In fact, even though he wasn’t the muscular type he looked strong, firm and nicely shape. There were some muscles on both his arms. His shoulders were actually quite broad, and it gave him a nice manly body frame.

 

“ See what you like?”, he chuckled as he pulled out his neatly ironed uniformed from his wardrobe which also reminded Robin that she had to do her laundry soon before the week ends. “ I’m just kidding, relax” He added casually and began wearing his pants.

 

“ Alright I’m gonna take a shower.. see you around then..,” Robin began awkwardly and carefully peeled herself out of her blankets and headed towards her own wardrobe. She wondered whether she would ever get used to this. Bring alone in a room who’s half- after showers. And why was he up so early anyway? Almost as if she was thinking out loud, she heard Baekhyun talking to her as he began meddling with his neck-tie.

 

“ You’re a singer too right? You should try jogging in the morning it’ll increase your lung capacity and improve your breathing techniques “ he offered.

 

Robin subconsciously frowned. “ Really? Uh no thanks, not a big fan of exercising”. The thought of waking up any earlier than this was terrible, and she hated exercising. All in all this combination of morning jogs sounded like a nightmare to her. Baekhyun didn’t hit her as a diligent person who would wake up early every morning for a jog. Maybe that’s why his body was, she reluctantly admitted, quite good. Truthfully she was never a fan of big muscular bodies anyway. This lean, slightly muscular and well-toned body type was more balanced and healthy to her. But that was besides the whole point.

 

“ Luhan does it too,” Baekhyun added, with almost a distinct taunt in his voice. He began combing his hair with, Robin stared and judged, his fingers? Now he was blowing his hair dry.

 

“ And I’m sure that has nothing to do with me,” Robin defended herself and tried to sound as uninterested as possible. Although deep inside she was now jumping all over. This was terrible. Why was she leaping onto every new information about him? And how did Baekhyun knew that she was eye-candying Luhan?

 

Baekhyun whistled a happy tune as he checked his hair in the mirror before heading towards the door. “ Alrighty, and I’m gonna grab breakfast. See you if I do!”, he said and was already half way out the door when he finished the sentence. Robin didn’t even understand the last part of his sentence. She stepped into the bathroom and took note to prepare herself faster so that she can have some breakfast before classes. She wanted to be well-nourished and all prepped up since today is the first lesson of singing and she was confident that she could finally shine and impress, maybe enough to make new friends. There’s a saying that first impressions matters the most, she reminded herself but forgot where she heard this from. But it didn’t matter, she was in a good mood! Now if only Luhan would be in that class to hear her awesome voice and see some of her talent later it’d be perfect.. she giggled to herself then unexpectedly snorted.

 

Clearly Robin didn’t factor in time to find the dining hall of the Eleanor Hall because she was running late for her first class. At the end it was really stupid because the dining hall was actually on the top level of the building, as if that made any sense. And because it was so late by the time she figured this out, there were no students left and only a few cold sandwiches she had no choice but to eat.

 

Thankfully the first singing class didn’t start immediately as the teacher was about 10 minutes late which was enough for Robin to be seated and half panting from both panic and running.

 

“ Did you take my advice and went jogging before class?,” someone hissed at her from the back. Robin turned around and –no surprise- faced a beaming baekhyun. She just noticed that he had his hair styled up today. And it made him look kinda handsome. Urgh.

 

“ No, I couldn’t find the dining hall in our dorm building so yeah.. by the time I had breakfast and all..” she mumbled, realizing that she didn’t really want to revisit the tiring experience. Baekhyun nodded playfully then pointed a finger to the front signaling her that the teacher is here.

 

The first ten minutes was spent in introduction where Mrs.Kim, an extremely friendly and outspoken teacher talked out her expectations of the class and how we’re expected to perform a solo song at the end of the semester for grading. While she went on into the details of how they would be graded, Robin took the opportunity to scan the class for Leah or any familiar face. And of course, Luhan.

 

Now the teacher was starting with the vocal warm ups and everyone started standing up and pushed the tables and chairs to the sides. Robin obliged mindlessly and performed these actions while her eyes were still scanning for anyone she might know.

 

“ Your neck is about to dislocate from all the turnings, Leah and Luhan aren’t here so you can stop your search party,” Baekhyun had managed to impressively said this to her in the midst of vocal warm up. Robin turned and realized he was standing beside her. He gave a cheeky smile as he sang.

 

“ Baekhyun, perhaps you’d like to be the first to sing since you’re very eager?”, Mrs Kim spoke over the class as they finished their last warm up note.

Pointing a finger at himself, Baekhyun raised an eyebrow. “ Me?”

 

Mrs.Kim laughed heartily, “yes you, and your girlfriend beside you will be next,” she said and winked at Robin. She winced. While she appreciated the casual and friendly environment of this class, it was still weird. She was too used to mean and sarcastic teachers.

She heard the class “ooooh” in teasing. It was all very childish. Ha Ha. Yes very funny.

 

“ She’s just a friend,’ said Baekhyun casually as he walked forward to the front of the class. If he knew how many friends Robin really had, he might have realised what a great compliment he had paid her.

 

“ Oh he’s really good,” a girl on the other side of Robin whispered to her. “ Really?,” Robin replied as she struggled to hold back the skepticism that wants so badly to twist across her face.

 

Mrs.Kim, who was on the piano, began playing a song and asked that Baekhyun sang the first verse of some Korean song that Robin didn’t know. But when the first few lines came out she was taken aback. She had expected him to be decently good, like this morning the in the shower and everyone else at the school interview she had been to earlier. But never had she expected his voice to be so.. powerful and soulful. He was in another league. It seemed completely shocking for someone his size. The voice didn’t even match his face. He sounded so good, so solid and pitch perfect. His breathing and singing techniques were spot on, well-grasped, just like a professional singer. He also had a really nice natural tone in his voice. Maybe she really should give a serious thought about the morning jogs.

 

And when he finished, Robin caught herself subconsciously clapping along with the class and Baekhyun cheekily bowed to everyone as if he was the president and just being the class clown he is.

 

“ You’re gonna pay for this you know that right?,” Baekhyun said and faked a fierce face when he walked back. Then he took out a hand, placing it on her back and pushed her forward. “ Go on it’s your turn! I’m gonna be laughing from here,”

 

Robin gulped and walked forward. As she reaches the piano she has become dumbfounded. She was standing infront of 20 strangers. Well, classmates that she didn’t know. And she was incredibly nervous. Singing infront of a few teachers during the interview was certainly not as nerve wrecking as singing infront of a bunch of kids your age. What if her voice cracks? What if she goes off tune?

 

“ What range are you comfortable with,?” Mrs Kim asked her and gave a reassuring smile. It calmed her down a little. But really just a little.

 

“ I’m a soprano ,” Robin managed out softly. “ And.. I’d prefer to sing an English song please,” she added politely.

 

“ Feeling ambitious?” Mrs. Kim asked.

 

“ I could try..”

 

“ Rolling in the deep?” Mrs.Kim asked, and Robin replied with a nod. She was comfortable with it. Infact, she thinks she might be really good with it. She’s been forced to sing it infront of her relatives many times by her parents and so far the praises were off the roof. Let’s see if it works this time. She just needs to focus and not let the nerves get to her.

 

As she approaches the first note she turned herself towards the class and instantly was hit with fear. There were so many eyes staring at her in anticipation. The new girl, of course. Everyone was curious to know. Moreover it seems a lot of people had already heard of her and the infamous Luhan invitation so it seemed necessary to perform well or she’d be a laughing stock. She shifted her eyes around nervously, not knowing where to focus but eventually stop when she saw Baekhyun smiling at her. His eyes were gentle. They were encouraging and she felt less nervous when she focus all her attention at him. She began singing and gradually she felt more comfortable and less self-conscious. Looking at Baekhyun, who was still smiling and nodding at her, she felt increasingly confident. It didn’t feel like she was singing to a whole bunch of people anymore but rather it felt like she was just performing to one perform which takes away all the stress. All the notes were coming out great. Stronger and louder. Chorus was a little challenging but not a struggle. By the time she finished the song she could hear applaud forming, accompanying with a lot of whispering. Did they like it? Was she too sharp, or flat?

 

She turned around and saw Mrs.Kim beaming at her. This must mean.. she likes it?

 

“ Excellent. You’re a star. You may return back to your place,” Mrs.Kim gave her a satisfied nod and Robin felt the most happy smile forming on her face.

 

Walking back to her place she could hear many people praising her and congratulating her. She felt immensely pleased with herself and felt reassured for the first time since she got here that she really belongs in this school.

 

“ Wow, must say I didn’t see that one coming,” Baekhyun clapped his hands playfully.

 

“ If you jog hard enough you’ll get there,” Robin played along and noticed that, wait what? Did she just casually spoke to Baekhyun like that? She grinned and felt happy inside knowing that she’s not such a shy awkward turtle afterall.