Chapter 16

I'm gonna get you good

The next week passed quickly as mid-terms were approaching. It seemed to be the most hectic week ever since she’s got here. Every morning Robin would get up earlier for a jog, sometimes Baekhyun would join her but sometimes he wouldn’t because he usually stayed up very late studying. Then she’d rushed to class, Baekhyun who used to joke and annoyed her became more focused, less playful and sat quietly behind her. Then during lunch once again, Baekhyun would grab a sandwich and disappeard off to the library to study while she’d join the rest at their table. When the school bell rang, Robin would be rushing to the vocal studio to practice on her singing with Mrs.Kim and she’d eat dinner with Leah. It’s only at night that she’ll get a glimpse of Baekhyun, who would be studying at his table diligently and they would exchange just a few lines before Robin falls asleep.

 

Just like that, life become a little less dull ever since the swimming pool party and everyone got busier. Technically that should be a good thing since Robin had been making good progress in every area, from singing to academic performance but somehow she didn’t enjoy this. She never got to ask Baekhyun what his words in the lift meant. He never talked about it either.

 

The first Monday of April was mundane. People become less talkative, more serious and stressed about school and teachers were becoming more demanding. Even conversations during lunchtime were all about homework and tests. Robin’s day dragged on and on and she felt so drained. She later found comfort in the kimchi stew at Eleanor’s Dining Hall, something that she and Baekhyun used to eat together every other day. She’s missed his silly, inappropriate jokes and his playful self.

 

Then Robin realized it’s been almost two weeks since she had dinner with Baekhyun. Looking at her food as she sat alone, Robin sighed out. She yearn to be with Baekhyun so badly this evening and it shocks her to the core. Beyond that, she can’t define exactly what it is she want from him.

Someone guaranteed to make her laugh after a tiring day? Or something more?
  

 

The second that thought enters her head, she want it out. It terrifies and appals her. Yet, once she’ve thought it, there’s no going back. She get a rush of clarity and it makes her feel nauseous: she feel something for Baekhyun these days that she shouldn’t feel – and it’s beyond friendship.

 

 Yet she can’t allow herself to feel this – she absolutely can’t. Maybe it’s just infatuation, the kind of silly crush that will go away in a few weeks, or days just like the one she had on Luhan.

 

Luckily, Robin didn’t have time to dwell much on it since she had to meet Luhan for a project meeting tonight. She quickly finished her meal and made her way to the library as the sky become darker.

 

It was nearly 7p.m when she eventually reached the library. Since mid-terms was coming and project deadlines were coming soon, lots of students were hanging around the library.

 

Once Robin spotted Luhan standing at the corner of the entrance, she began pacing up the steps. He looked unusually good tonight. Unlike most days where his hair was messy and unstyled, he had them styled up nicely with his forehead shown. Robin always thought he looked much better with his hair up because it made him looked a little manlier. He was wearing dark jeans, black chuck taylor sneakers and a maroon knitted sweater. A navy tshirt peeked out beneath his sweater. To top it all off he smelled so good, like a perfect gentleman.

 

“ Hey,” Robin waved, as they met at the top of the steps. He smiled back with the familiar genuine smile and surprised her by a small box out to her. Upon closer inspection, she noticed it was a pastry box with four pieces of macaroons inside. Thankfully they didn’t look expired or half-eaten which might suggest he was offering her his unwanted left-over. It seemed like he bought it for her and it was nice of him.

 

She shyly accepted it, and thanked him politely. “What’s the occasion?”

 

“ Nothing really, I heard there’s a new pastry shop around the corner near school so I went some today. I thought they were pretty good so I bought a few boxes back to share with everyone. I hope you like macaroons, do you?”

 

Oh, a few boxes to share with everyone

.. everyone..

 

Well there you go. Friend-zoned by Luhan. Which is probably what he had done from the start. How stupid of her to even think he liked her before..

 

Robin nodded lightly and weakly mumbled, “ well yeah I guess I like them,” she lied. First it was the chicken pie, now it was the macaroons that she never fancied. How is it that someone so gorgeous have such different taste for food from her? She found herself briefly thinking about what food Baekhyun would have bought instead, likely chicken wings or popsicle. Both of which are awesome.

 

God, snap out of it Robin.

 

The rest of the night was quite productive, Luhan was very focused as usual. Being up close with Luhan still felt strange, and fascinating. He was like a star, the perfect guy in every girls’ dreams. Or at least in this school he was. Athletic, gentleman, nice, hardworking, a good and charismatic performer. She almost felt like he’s too good to be true. She managed to steal a few look at him. His face was so nicely sculptured, it was the sort of face that gets more handsome as you notice. And then she rememberd again, that’s right. A guy this perfect and nice can’t just fall for a typical, awkward girl like her. Her destiny was probably with some random average guy who enjoys eating junk food and failing a test a couple of times like her.

 

It was almost 10p.m when they were finished and eventually began walking back. Their journey back was much more relaxed than when they were working, partly because Luhan is the serious sort who gets into work  completely without any distraction. He was the kind who divided his times and gets his priorities sorted out very clearly, almost unlike Robin in every way. When they were working for the past hours he’s never stopped to take a break or made casual conversations. It was only now that he began asking her about her day and week to which Robin didn’t feel like it was nice to pour out all her sorrows to him. He probably has more important things to worry about but still, it was nice for him to ask. Because that’s who he was, a nice guy who does nice things for everybody.

 

Baekhyun cracked his aching neck for the fifth time, and looked at his clock. It’s 10 p.m and Robin isn’t back. Usually she’d already be in her bed pretending to read instead of falling asleep. Although he’s pretty sure that she’s somewhere in the campus, he found himself more worried that he should be. Looking back down at his notes, he sighed. After about a month of hard work, he’s been able to read and write some hangul again. Although he still had to work on some vowels, at least it was enough for day-to-day activities and pass his exams. With a few more months he might be able to get back his A’s. He’s been failing his tests a few times and the foreign feeling is like a slap on his face. Usually lazy, he’s never felt more determined and hardworking like now. He reckoned its also doing him a lot of good, seeing that he’s now much more disciplined and organized than before.  

 

He leaned back on the back of his chair, allowed his feet to spun himself around a few times. He shut his eyes, wondering what to do with all these feelings. His feelings for Robin had been growing stronger and stronger, it’s up till a point where he recognize that it must be more than just an infatuation. Especially tonight when Leah told him that Robin a project meeting with Luhan, he felt an irrational and immature fear of losing her. Could he.. like her?

 

As his chair began to slow down to a stop, he caught a glimpse of moving figures outside the window. At once, he jerked into a standing motion, pressing his face so hard against his windows that his entire face was almost smashed against it. He squinted his already small eyes, and saw that it was Luhan and Robin walking back together. He seemed to be making some joke that probably wasn’t even that funny and Robin was laughing. Instantly Baekhyun felt annoyed, angry and frustrated all at once. This was all it took for him to now confirm his feelings for her.

 

Trying to calm himself down from the burning jealousy inside, Baekhyun paced up and down the dorm, doing breathing exercises that doesn’t seem to help. He must not be flustered when Robin returns. Becoming a possessive, crazy roommate was definitely not a good move towards winning her heart. Three minutes passed, Baekhyun frowned and glared at his clock, wondering why it took so them to come up. He took a deep breathed in, controlling his emotions and reminded himself to be normal and calm when Robin returned. Another minute gone by and he felt at peace inside. He’s got this under control.

 

But once Robin walked through the door Baekhyun literally ran to her, making a loud fuss about why she was back late. His plan was all going to . Exasperated, he swung his arms up everytime he spoke, which was making him look like a possessive grinch. “ It’s so late! Why didn’t you tell me you were coming back so late? I would have walked you back!”

 

Suspicious, Robin squinted her eyes at him. “ I walk back by myself all the time. You didn’t seem to have a problem with that.”

 

True. But that was different, all those times he haven’t developed feelings for her yet. And back then she doesn’t walk home with Luhan. Who knew what sort of romantic, mushy things he’s said to win her heart? He had to divert this issue. “ And why are you holding a box of macaroons? That stuff is gross, we had an agreement on that!”

 

“ Oh this?” Robin held the box up. “ Luhan gave it to me it’s supposed to be pretty good. Maybe we should let go of our prejudice and like, give it a try. It could be good you know? I’m gonna shower and eat it later!”

 

Fueled with more annoyance now, Baekhyun could barely form a reply before Robin closed the bathroom door. There was only one thing left to do, Baekhyun stomped towards the box on Robin’s table, tore open the paper lid and began furiously shuffling the macaroons down his throat. Three mouths in and he almost chocked. With some struggle to reach his water bottle and gulping down water, Baekhyun survived the near dealth experience. As he expected, maracoons were disgusting but the thought of having Robin eating something from Luhan was worst. When he was done destroying the gift from Luhan, he felt pleased with himself, and decided to head straight into bed and pretend to sleep so that Robin would not be able to scream at him later.