Chapter 13

I'm gonna get you good

Baekhyun hated that Robin was not only pretty, but she also had those persuasive brown eyes that he could not reject. Which is why he only had himself to blame now for trudging in the cold wet snow again. His legs, initially resilient and strong, had slowly become numb and weary. He strained his eyes forward as they seemed to draw closer to dry grounds and a role of small restaurants. Immediately he felt better.

 

Robin, on the other hand, was so excited that she had begun hopping on the spot, squealing and clapping at the same time. Baekhyun watched her and unknowingly smiled. Robin spun around and under the dim light from the shops, he could see her eyes sparkling at him. It’s amazing how Robin looked completely adorable to him even in this state. He was certain he’s never seen a girl so endearing to him like her. Her glowing smile made him feel so.. happy. She radiate the kind of joy that makes him want to always be by her side. It’s not just tonight but in fact, for so long now that’s how he felt to be around her. But in this quiet night together he’s just managed to understand it. And he began to realized.. oh boy, he was completely taken by her. Was this.. infatuation? A crush?

 

Unaware of Baekhyun’s growing affections for her, Robin tugged Baekhyun’s arms and began pulling him by his elbow towards the modest small restaurant shophouse in front of them. Baekhyun grinned as he wobbled after her lead.

 

Fortunately the restaurant was still opened and as soon as they entered they could feel the ever so comforting warmth blowing at them. They quickly shut the door to keep the cold shivering wind out. After they finally settled down and felt warmer, they looked around. The restaurant had about 10 tables, 9 were empty and they were the only customers. Understandable, given the fact that they were in the middle of a snow storm. The interior was typical of a normal homely small Korean restaurant with orange dim lights. It felt so comforting. Hand-written menus were written with pictures of Korean dishes plastered on the walls. Finally after a few minutes of surveying the place, an old lady appeared to take their orders. Seemingly irritated, she was snappy and hurried them to make their orders. They opted for hot kimchi stew, because what else would taste better in this cold snow storm?

 

The lady grunted as she walked away. She was complaining about the snow storm and how she had intended to close the restaurant before they both ran in, effectively ruining her plan. Baekhyun and Robin looked at each other, both sharing the same thought and laughed together.

 

Baekhyun began pouring warm water for both of them. “Feisty huh? You think her kimchi stew are as hot as her temper?”

 

Robin rolled her eyes and giggled. “ I hope not. Looks like the only thing that this snow storm can’t cool is her temper.”

 

Baekhyun handed a glass of warm water to Robin as they both cupped both their hands around the glass for warmth. It felt so good. Robin shivered. Baekhyun laughed. He grinned, “ still feeling cold?”

 

Robin nodded. “ A little”

 

Baekhyun noticed the tip of her nose was red, and he thought it was cute.

They continued in casual conversations the next few minutes as baekhyun’s stomach rumbled.

 

“ Actually this is a familiar scene,” Baekhyun gulped down a shot of warm water.

 

Robin’s eyebrow shot up. “ what scene?”

 

Baekhyun grinned, “ Oh you know your sister got mad and froze this nation. We’re on our way to find her and her awesome ice castle. Unfortunately the snow storm proved to be too much for us to handle. I don’t have a donkey so we can’t continue our journey and also,” Baekhyun looked towards the grumpy grandmother who was walking towards them with a tray of hot stews. “ this frozen in korea version features an angsty grandma.”

 

Robin laughed and kicked him lightly, telling him to shut up as the grandma approached them. The grandma impatiently plopped down sizzling kimchi stews and hot rice infront of them and they immediately devoured the food after paying.

 

When their food was almost done, and they could feel warmth spreading throughout their body, Baekhyun rubbed his stomach. “ I was right, her stew is as spicy as her outlook of life”.

 

“ You are so mean!”, robin gasped.

 

Baekhyun playfully shrugged. “ What?! I feel hurt. You’ve wrongly accused me I was merely stating the truth!”

 

Robin laughed. “ Well but does your stomach feel better now?”

 

Baekhyun showed her an encouraging two thumps up. “ Pain’s completely gone. I feel much better.” He grinned. “ And thanks..”

 

“ For what?”

 

“ For being a crazy girl and braving the snow to find food for me.”

 

Robin shrugged. “ Don’t mention it. You’d do the same for me right?” Then she considered her question. Actually.. maybe not everyone would do that. Well.. Luhan probably wouldn’t. That’s a little disappointing but she guess not everyone can be perfect.

 

Baekhyun returned her a warm smile. His eyes lit up like a puppy. “ Yeah. Even no one would, I’d do it for you.” Robin met his eyes and felt a tug in her heart. He was gazing back at her. His eyes were soft, gentle..

Were they feeling something for each other? Or did she just think too much?

 

Robin quickly looked away before she blushed. She inwardly heaved of a sign and looked out at the plain field of snow outside. The storm showed no sigh of stopping, if it was anything, it was growing even thicker. The doors and windows were quivering from time to time. Even from the inside they could hear and feel the strong gust of wind and snow wrecking havoc out there.

 

Baekhyun shook his head, “ You know what. I feel inspired. I feel like running out there and singing my own rendition of Let it Go.”

 

Robin laughed. “ And you would die while doing so”

 

“ And I would appoint you as the sole heir to all my inheritance,” he continued, baring his hands out to her.

 

Robin rolled her eyes. His wit and humour was undeniably charming and a strong force to resist. Now she really understood why he was so popular in school. She scoffed, “ meaning your cranky laptop, dirty socks and doraemon blanket?”

 

Baekhyun nodded. “ And more!” His hands flew wide opened in a dramatic manner. “ You’ll never know. I might actually be a son of a really rich and powerful man. Like.. kim tan! My father might actually own an empire!”

 

Robin laughed briefly before eventually falling back into a sigh. “ the grandma is probably waiting for us to leave so that she can close this place for the day.” She looked at Baekhyun, who was now too looking out at the ruthless storm. Dying out there is actually a possibility in his opinion. Helplessly, they sat in silence for the next five minutes, watching the snow storm brewing its trouble.

 

Finally Robin stood up. She turned and looked at Baekhyun. “ It’s not that bad. We’ve made it here so surely we can make it back. Right?” She asked in such an unsure voice that Baekhyun couldn’t even reply her. So he just dragged his body up as they began walking towards the door.

 

Then a screeching scream came behind them, “ Just where do you think you are going!? “ They spun around. It was the feisty grandma pacing angrily towards them.

 

Robin stammered, “ O-oh.. you know we were about to set off so that you can close the restaurant..”

 

The grandma hissed at them. “ What do you take me for? I may be impatient but I’m not cruel! Did you think I was so heartless to let two kids go out there in this storm and die out there!?”

 

Baekhyun and Robin was unsure of what this was leading to. They looked at each other. And saw the same confusion in each other’s eyes.

 

The grandma suddenly grumbled again, prompting them to turn back to her. She pointed at them, back and forth, “ Are you siblings? Is this your sister?”

 

“N.. No. We’re not siblings!” Baekhyun replied. Robin almost giggled. She’s never seen Baekhyun so nervous like now, who would have thought someone could actually unnerve this playful puppy?

 

Seemingly unsatisfied with the answer, she spun around and hurried back to the dark area behind the kitchen and went up the stairs. They spun to looked at each other again, even more confused than before.

 

“ What was that?” Robin asked, frowning. Baekhyun shook his head. “ No idea.”

 

But within minutes, they’d heard the grandma stomping down the stairs from the second floor of the shophouse. It seemed like she lived upstairs. Then as she struggled towards them, they realized she was carrying a pile of blankets and comforters. Immediately they both sprung forward to help her.

 

Once the grandma has plopped everything into their hands, she pat baekhyun’s back so strongly he almost lost his balance. “You two sleep here and don’t you dare step outside there! I’m not going to cause anyone’s death! And I don’t know what is it with young people these days but don’t do indecent things in my restaurant you understand me?”

 

Realizing what she meant, they both blushed and attempted to argue with her. Raising her hands at both of them, the grandma waved their words away, “ say whatever you want but just repay me with this. sleep with these blankets and don’t you dare even take out your clothes!”

 

Before they could say anymore, the grandma brushed past them and began turning off the lights in the restaurant after her. Soon they heard her stomping up the stairs.