Chapter 17

I'm gonna get you good

The mid-term exams arrived faster than everyone expected. And after a stressful two weeks, everything was finally coming to an end.

 

Robin woke up in a good mood knowing that today was the last examination. After she’s changed into her jogging outfits, she sat down on her bed with her body facing Baekhyun’s directly. Even in the dim light, she could see how tired he was. As he laid sleeping, she began examining his features. Although she never used to think he was especially good looking like the way Chanyeol or Suho was, it suddenly dawned on her now that Baekhyun was cute and attractive in his own right. His nose was sharp, his jawline were defined, his skin was really good and his lips was quite y. God. Did she actually just said that in her head?

 

“ See what you like?” Baekhyun suddenly spoke, his eyes were still shut and he didn’t move. Shocked, Robin almost shrieked.

 

“ W.. what. Wait I thought you were asleep!” she exclaimed, feeling flustered as her cheeks began burning. She can’t believe she was just caught watching him sleep for like, five minutes.

 

Then she heard Baekhyun chuckled. “ Do you always do this? I am not aware of this creepy habit of yours ” he asked.

 

“No!” Robin argued, and frowned.

 

“ You’re not secretly in love with me are you?” he teased. Which unexpectedly made Robin’s heart pounded. Even without speaking yet she had a feeling she’d stammered if she opened . So instead, she threw a pillow at him before walking over to his bed, sat on it and attempted to snatch his blanket away.

 

But before she could even grab a handful of his blanket, she felt Baekhyun’s strong hands grabbing both of her hands and pulling her down towards him. Suddenly, half of her body was on his, and their face were so close. Baekhyun grinned, his eyes were playful. It was something she’s missed. It’s been so long she almost forgot how fun Baekhyun actually was.

 

“ What are you doing!” Robin muttered, and tried to get out of his grip. She resisted the urge to smile.

 

Baekhyun fixed his eyes on her before promptly pulling her down on the bed next to him which shocked Robin. Her heart pounded so hard it was coming out of her chest. Laying on both their sides, they were facing each other.

 

Then Baekhyun smiled, “ I look better up close, if you’re gonna watch me sleep then I insist on giving you the best view”

 

Flustered and amused, Robin’s face become a little distorted and the result was severe. She didn’t know how to react. The fact that she was in his bed next to him and yet he was making a funny excuse that she couldn’t get angry with.

 

“ Is this like normal to you? Do you this a lot?” Robin asked.

 

“ What?”

 

“ I don’t know. This? Attacking an innocent person and dragging them into your smelly bed?” Robin shrugged. Actually his bed was pretty comfy, and it smelled like him which wasn’t really smelly. It was like baby powder, weird she thought. But she wasn’t complaining.

 

Baekhyun laughed. “No. It’s a privilege extended only to you.”

 

 

Robin rolled her eyes. “ Well I’m late for my morning jog. I gotta go,”

 

“ Come on it’s the last day of exams, sleep in and relax.” He offered, and stifled a yawn.

 

Robin shook her head insistently. “ Nope. I’m this close to being a trainee and I can’t afford it. Besides, there’s plenty of time to relax. There’s a beach party weekend remember?”

 

“ Is that right?” Baekhyun scratched his head. “ I’ve been studying too much I can’t even remember it”.

 

“ Well that’s why you have me to remind you. And I really gotta like go run now and stop being lazy. Maybe you should come too,” Robin offered.

 

Baekhyun pressed his face into his soft fluffy pillow, “ That sounds like a terrible idea to tell something in bed honestly.”

 

“ Okay fine suit yourself but I’m going!” Robin propped herself up using an elbow.

 

“ Oh hey wait,” he suddenly grabbed her wrist and stopped her. Robin signed inwardly as her skin grew hot under his touch once again. Seriously all this skinship has to stop before it kills her one day.

 

Baekhyun’s face reappeared from his pillow as he put on his puppy face,“ Wanna catch a movie tonight?” He subconsciously bit his lip and raised an eyebrow, the result was irrisistable.

 

“ …Like a date?” Robin raised an eyebrow back.

 

Baekhyun thought for a moment and shrugged casually. “ Nah just.. celebrating the end of exams?” Seeing that Robin wasn’t replying or moving, he added. “ Are you going to say yes or do I have to kidnap you to the cinema?”

 

Robin chuckled. “ Why do you have to be so extreme in everything you do?”

 

Baekhyun shrugged. “ I never half- anything,”

 

“ I know.” She laughed.

 

“ So I’ll meet you back here at 7?”

 

Trying to hide her excitement, Robin said coolly “ alright 7pm it is.”

 

“ Don’t be late or I’ll use the school sound system to call you”, Baekhyun threatened her. She didn’t doubt it.

 

--

 

Later that evening when Baekhyun came back to the dorm at 6.45pm, he was surprised to see Robin back already. She was dressed in simple tee and jeans and was lying on her bed. She looked up at him, doe eyed and pretty.

 

“This is my third bar today. Do not let me turn into one of those 200kg obesed, uncontrollable girl will you?’ she says, and took another bite of out her kit kat.

 

 ‘You’re dangerously close,’ Baekhyun teased, and grabbed the kit kat out of her hand and took a bite from it.

 

“ You just ate my saliva,” Robin said with a disgust and made a face.

 

Swinging his backpack on his table, Baekhyun turned around to face Robin and took another bite. “ Isn’t it great then? It’s like an indirect kiss”, Baekhyun said and finished with a toothy grin. Which was both annoying and adorable.

 

Robin replied with a scoffed.” Gross,”

 

Later on as they sat on the bus, Baekhyun took out his ipod and forced Robin to listen to the ballad songs on them. Reluctant at first, Robin refused because she wasn’t a fan of ballads and sharing earphones on a bus seemed just like the typical cliché scene in a Korean drama where high school couples fall in love. This thought now seemed a little disturbing because she was afraid of just that, falling in love with Baekhyun. He confuses her so much that she just don’t know what to do. But one thing she know for certain, he might just be treating her like a best female buddy and she’s over-thinking everything like how she mistook Luhan’s feelings for her. Maybe with all these unfamiliar popularity she’s getting, she’s becoming obnoxious, overly confident and assumes that everyone who’s nice to her must like her. She will not make the same mistake with Baekhyun and lose this friendship.

 

They were on the third song. So far, his song choices have been awesome. Not only did he sang well, he also had great taste in music which was both admirable and unfair. After they finished the forth song, Baekhyun then told her that those were the songs she should practice for. They’re the ones that flatters her vocal range and strengths, he then went on to mention about how she could articulate those feelings of each song better and grasp the essence of each song. Robin sat listening,in awe of Baekhyun. It was incredibly nice of him to thought about her singing, the one thing that matters most to her. He paid attention to her whinings an complains about singing, thought about how she could improve, and even selected songs to help her. He was really.. caring and thoughtful. And yet all she’s given him was illiteracy.

 

The cinema was quite crowded when they arrived so they decided to split up. Baekhyun agreed to buy the movie tickets while Robin would buy popcorn and drinks. They quickly made their way to their seats just in time for the movie to start.

 

“ Are they sweet or salted?” Baekhyun leaned in and whispered into Robin’s ears. Because she hadn’t anticipated it, she jerked a little. It was as if he intentionally brushed his lips against her ears as he pulled away. Her heart was jumping fast again, just what is going on with her these days?

 

“Um it’s uh it’s salted,” she mumbled back and grabbed a bunch of popcorn, stuffing it into and plunging into the box for more again to calm herself down. Sure she’s been in the dark with Baekhyun before, but this time she felt nervous. Even though he said it wasn’t a date, somehow she gets the feeling that it was. As she plunged into the popcorn box again, she felt Baekhyun’s warm hands brushed against her. Then out of a sudden, he grabbed her hands. She froze. 

 

“You’re making way too much noise with the popcorn Robin,” he mumbled, eyes fixed on the screen. Then he let his hands go. He reached out for the drinks and took a sip.

 

“ Oh.. sorry..” Robin trailed off, embarrassed that she had actually thought he intended to hold her hand in a bid to be romantic in the cinema.

 

Then in a second, Robin could feel Baekhyun looking at her. Like, really looking at her. She shifted uncomfortably.

 

“ What?”, she hissed at Baekhyun, turning around to look at him.

 

He chuckled, seeing how flustered she was. “Which straw is mine? There’s two of it here,” he asked, referring to the two straws that Robin had taken. She took note to adjust one to be higher than the other so that they wouldn’t have to mistake their straws in the dark.

 

“ Which one did you drink from? I haven’t had a sip so you can choose,” she whispered back, careful not to disturb others.

 

Baekhyun grinned. “ That’s the thing. I drank from both,”

 

Robin hit him. “ Why would do that?”, she hissed at him. “ That’s so gross now I have to be drinking your saliva!”

 

This response seemed to amuse Baekhyun who didn’t look one bit apologetic but instead smiled cheekily and just turned back to the screen and continued watching his movie.

 

“ Well? Are you gonna explain yourself?” Robin whispered back at him again, might go hoarse from all these whispering.

 

“ Shhh, just drink it. Stop talking and enjoy the movie,” Baekhyun grinned.

 

On their way to the bus stop back home, Baekhyun stopped by a florist and told Robin to wait outside. He quickly came out a few minutes later. Robin spun around, and saw that he had a bunch of pretty white lilies wrapped in brown paper in his hands.

 

“ It’s yours,” he said, handing the flowers to her.

 

Pointing to herself, Robin replied in surprise, “ Me? You bought me flowers? I thought you said this wasn’t a date!”

 

Baekhyun shrugged. “ It’s not. People buy each other flowers all the time, not just on a date you know”

 

Robin frowned. “ No they don’t”

 

“ I buy my mum flowers all the time”

 

Robin scoffed. “ So you see me as your mother now?”

 

Baekhyun shifted uncomfortably. Admittedly, he had not thought this far. He only wanted to buy her flowers and make her happy. How come he didn’t think about what to say when she asked why? How was he going to explain this without scaring her? The moment he saw her face turned uneasy when she said the word date he knew he can’t risk coming too strong on her. Since she don’t seem to be ready or return his feelings for her now, he’s just going to try slowly win her over. But at this very moment, when Robin is still frowning her brows together cutely at him, he has to think of something quick. A lie, a white-lie.. or a half-truth lie.

 

“ Okay you’ve caught me. I saw that Luhan was getting all chummy with you with that weird tasting macaroons and you seemed so happy. And I’m not happy with that. Because.. because you’re a great roommate who’s clean, organized, responsible and pleasant to live with. It’s a rare quality. And so this is me trying to get on your good side now so that you’re not jumping ship and switching your room with D.O.”

 

Robin smirked. “So you’re afraid that I’m gonna fall in love with Luhan, move next door and throw D.O out to live with you? Really?”

 

Baekhyun gulped, looking ahead. “ Well D.O doesn’t wear pants when he’s in the dorm. He’s too y and hot and cute at the same time even with his pants on so I can’t handle that. I think I might turn gay. You wouldn’t let that happen to me won’t you?” He playfully bit his lips and mimicked a pitiful look. This made Robin burst out in annoyed laughter, hitting him.

 

She held the flowers tight in her hands, trying to fight back the red flush that was forming on her cheeks and a giddy smile.