Chapter 21

I'm gonna get you good

“So, what are you thinking about while you’re pretending to listen to me?”, Leah asked, snapping Robin out of her deep thoughts.

 

“ What?” Robin blinked.

“ What?” Leah shot back with a scowl. “ You were daydreaming about my smelly small eyed cousin again aren’t you?”

 

“ He’s not smelly,” Robin argued. “ And his eyes aren’t that small you know”

 

“ So you’re admitting you were thinking about Baekhyun?”

 

Robin narrowed her eyes at Leah. “ I hate you and your trick questions.”

 

Leah grinned. “ Just admit it, you like Baekhyun! I know I’m right and I’m gonna bet ten dollars on it.”

 

“ I.. “ Robin wanted to protest, but instead sighed out. Leah was probably right, she haven’t been able to stop thinking about Baekhyun for the past week. Even though the whole world was gossiping about her and Luhan’s confessions, she didn’t even care. Maybe its true. The one she likes has always been Baekhyun. She was surprising calm about this revelation now and it seemed like her subconscious was waiting for her to arrive at this conclusion all along.

 “ Do I?”

 

Leah nodded, taking a bite from her sandwich. “ It’s painfully obvious. You’ve should have seen the way your eyes light up when he talks to you. It’s like you’ve won a lifetime supply of bacon.”

 

Robin smiled but it quickly transited into a sigh. “ I don’t know. I can’t make any rash decisions and hurt anyone you know? I have to be sure that I really like Baekhyun otherwise I’d just be misleading him and hurting him even more.”

 

“ Well you better make it fast because he’s just been assigned to do a duet with Ji Min for the showcase so they’re gonna be spending a lot of time together practicing.” Leah paused to take a sip of her drinks, Robin wanted to reply but was stopped by Leah’s hands. She continued, “ and you know how Ji Min feels about Baekhyun.”

 

Visibly upset, Robin grunted and buried her face into her palms. As if it weren’t hard enough deciding, now she’s got to watch for the infamous Ji Min who’s been on a mission to date every popular boy in this school. It would have help if she wasn’t actually so pretty and popular herself too, plus lately everyone knows she’s been trying to flirt with Baekhyun all day long. Who knows she might have scheme this whole bull up just to be partnered up with Baekhyun.

 

Feeling a kick under her table, Robin screamed, “Ouch what was that Leah!?” But before she could protest any further, she caught that look on Leah’s face. The face that said , look what’s coming your way.

 

Turning around, there it was. Baekhyun and Ji Min walking down together towards the table. Since it was the first time they’re openly walking and seemingly deep into some discussion together, the canteen were glaring at them and slowing transitting into a gossip market. Walking past both of them, Baekhyun did not even turn to look at Robin or seemed to even notice her.

 

Well that’s a first.

 

Trailing her eyes of them, Robin saw that they were taking a seat at the end of their table, sitting about 4 people away from her. Unexpectedly, Baekhyun looked away from JI Min who continued talking as turned to face Robin. As she met his gaze, she felt a pointed measure of both possessiveness and jealousy. She freely admitted it…to herself. And there it was. Clear as day light, her feelings for Baekhyun.

 

She looked away quickly, focusing back on her sandwich. She took an uneasy bite and swallowed hard. Then she realized she probably couldn’t stand sitting on the same table as Baekhyun at this very moment. She mumbled goodbye to Leah and excuse herself as quietly as possible.

 

On the way to class, she was so stuck on the thoughts of Baekhyun and how he was laughing as he was talking to Ji Min that she almost knocked into Luhan who had been standing infront of her.

 

“ Whoa-“ Luhan grabbed Robin’s shoulders to stop her from colliding into his chest. Robin shook in shock.

 

“ Oh hey..” she replied weakly.

 

“ Are you okay? You look a little pale..”

 

“ Yeah I’m fine, “ Robin forced a smile and tugged lose hair behind her ears. She couldn’t hear people in the walkway giggling and glaring at them once again.

 

“ So.. did you want to talk to me about something?” Robin asked Luhan who was looking over at her with his soft concerned eyes. She looked up, wanting to smile back for Luhan but she couldn’t. Because now she realized; She didn’t want Luhan’s concern nor his love. She wanted Baekhyun’s.

 

The short uncomfortable moment of seeing Baekhyun being happy with someone else made her realized just how much she felt for Baekhyun. And painfully, she had none of these feelings to give to Luhan.

 

“ Nothing I was just thinking you know, if you were free tonight and we could catch a movie together?” Luhan smiled

 

“ The thing is.. “ Robin breathed out carefully. Her eyes shut for a brief moment and she took a deep breath.

 

She looked back at Luhan, as saw the disappointment and hurt in his eyes. He knew.

 

“ I know you’re a great guy and.. and you deserve to be happy with a wonderful person who would make you happy.”

 

Luhan looked down and nodded. He sighed out but managed out a weak smile.

 

“ But that person isn’t me. “ She finished.

 

Robin looked at him, feeling guilty for the hurt she’s giving him but even if Baekhyun might move on or not even be serious about her, she knew there was no turning back now. Regardless of Baekhyun, one thing she knew clearly now was that she didn’t like Luhan in the way she wish she did.

 

“ I understand. “ Luhan said, and gave her a reassuring smile that was masking over his hurt. “ Well, but if you need a friend, just a friend to be there for you anytime, you know I’m here for you.” He offered with a genuine smile, and retreated his steps before Robin could even reply. Within seconds he was out of her sight.

 

--

 

That night Robin stayed up to wait for Baekhyun. As difficult as it was, she’s decided that she’s now ready to let him know her feelings, even if his feelings may now begin to waver with Ji Min around.

 

“ Listen to me Robin, you may be a lot of thing but coward is not what you are okay?” Leah demanded over the phone as Robin sighed. The decision to confess was easy, but getting right down to it definitely needed a lot of prep talk and encouragement. It was nerve wrecking.

 

“No. Coward is exactly what I am”, Robin gulped. “ Maybe I shouldn’t.. “

 

“ No! You have to do it Robin! Come on, don’t be stupid just because Ji min is now in the picture doesn’t mean that his feelings are gonna change for you overnight. If its anything, now is the time to mark your territory and show that who’s your man!”

 

“ You really think so?” Robin asked again, voice still wavering.

 

“ YES! For the last time and please, don’t call me again this is the sixth time already and I need to sleep Robin,”

 

Robin laughed as her heart felt more encouraged. She hung up the phone and check her reflection in the mirror. She let out a smile and reassured herself that it was going to be fine.

 

But waiting was hard when the door never opened. Seconds felt like minutes and eventually minutes became hours. Unable to sit straight anymore due to her tiredness, Robin snuggled under her warm blanket as she struggled to keep her eyes open. She peered at the clock on her table beside her bed. It was 11pm.

 

Where could he be? He’s usually never this late. She thought of calling or texting him but decided against it because things like that were better said in person and the last thing she wants to be is a naggy, clingy friend who pesters him about his whereabouts. It’s not like she was his girlfriend or anything..