Chapter 1

I'm gonna get you good

“ I’m terribly sorry dear!", the middle-aged lady in white uniform exclaimed, and frantically took the uniform back in her hands for inspection. After a few seconds of meaningless flipping and checking the male uniform, she looked up again apologetically. All these fuss was beginning to make her feel awkward. "They must have mixed it up because of your name!"

“ Oh it’s fine I guess I’ll just- “

“ But just hold on! I will do a check for you in the storage and I’ll be right back with you. I’m sure they must have a spare female uniform that will fit you.” The lady gave a warm smile and left quickly.

She knew this was going to happen. Of course it was going to happen. In fact by now, after 18 years of living on this earth, she was beginning to doubt her parents who insist that Robin is a uni name because everyone seems to misunderstand her name to be a boy. And of course all these wouldn’t be so funny if she didn’t actually looked like a skinny, flat-chested boy for the first 14 years of her life. She also had short hair to complement her boyish looks because she had caught head lice from her cousin over one summer and had to cut all her hair out to get rid of it. In short(pun intended), she wasn’t very popular in her earlier days.

But she’d like to think that she’s a slow bloomer. Shortly after her 14th birthday her father had decided to expand his business to London and as a result, moved her whole family ( which consisted of her parents, her older sister and herself) there. 4 years in London had proved to be the best thing that has ever happened to her because her hair grew out beautifully, her body now had curves and even though she is still soft-spoken and awkward when left alone ( it tends to happen to most people) she was less shy and more opionated.

She was never good in her studies, always at a border line pass for most subjects and was glad that she could at least speak English now. But because her brain wasn’t so wide and spacious, that meant that her Korean became terrible. It’s like a see-saw. When one thing improved, another goes down. Which is why, she can’t really read hangul, but not that all this mattered because she realized that she could sing, quite well infact if she was going to be honest. So that got her accepted ( to the great delight of her parents) in arguably the best and most prestigious Arts school in Korea. As an average to low performing child since young, this was a HUGE deal for her family. But still, they insisted that she would do just fine going through high school here by herself because all sophomores were required to stay in the dorm anyway.

And for this very same reason was why, at 8.30p.m on a Sunday night, she was standing in the large, all-white walls and furniture administration building of Seoul School of the Arts.

She initially had planned to collect her uniform by 6pm and settle in into her new dorm before the sun sets but who was she kidding when she was just a girl, alone in Seoul, who could barely read hangul. This resulted in many hours of getting lost with the taxi driver who wasn’t so good with directions too. So at this point, after a whole tiring and active day of struggling against the world to find this bloody big school, she wasn’t so surprised to find out that the school has mistaken and given her a male uniform instead. She had no more energy left to fight against her annoyance. So she just let it be.

After the lady returned, they would spend another 30minutes trying to do a quick alteration so that the uniform would be of a proper fit for her. Although Robin had insisted that it wasn't necessary as long as she could wear them but the lady shook her head intently, refuting this request on the basis that the school requires all students to wear uniforms smartly of proper fit. When they were finally done, Robin began walking towards the dorm buildings which looked more like a fancy condominium ( courtesy of the joint Kim and Jung foundation who also sent their children, the legendary Jonghyun and Jessica here before but they had graduated last year). From where she was, the place seemed like a nice clutter of warmly-lighted buildings with well-trimmed trees planted in intervals. It was quiet, which was expected since it was the night before the first day of school. Had Robin arrived earlier she could perhaps have met some students and maybe made some friends. But this was a lie of course, she was too shy for that sort of things. Making friends on the first day was something that many found easy but Robin finds it incredibly awkward. Regardless this was going to be a new beginning, and Robin felt glad and happy inside. 

The school compound was huge, and extremely clean with about a thousand lamp posts everywhere. After what seemed like 15 minutes of struggling ( again because all the signs were in Hangul) she arrived at her dorm building. The distance definitely didn't seem so much from where she started. Standing before her was a Red-brick English looking building. It must be only about 8 stories high from how she saw it. It gave the impression of a thin pencil because each floor only has two rooms, to be shared by two students each, so it wasn’t really a fat building. Looking up she could see wooden-framed windows overlooking the garden on each level as orange light seeped out from the curtains. To her delight, it looked a lot like London. The night was cold as she brought her trembling hands together and blew a hot breath to warm them up. It was winter already.

Leading to the entrace was a short flight of brick steps. The entrace was a huge and tall wooden door that reminds her of a castle. The big metal sign on top read “Eleanor Hall” in English and hangul. This is the place.

Then she stared at the big wooden door.

Okay how do I get in?

She took a step back, overwhelmed by all these new surroundings. She surveyed the whole entrace. It was nothing but this big door. Then she saw it. A tiny finger-print scanner on the brick wall right beside the door.

Oh right. She thought, and hoped no one was seeing this confusion she was having because she must look stupid carrying all these little, big,small all sort of sizes bags ( she can never find one big bag to fit everything and she hated that fact) and walking around like a derp not knowing what to do.

You are authorized. Welcome Robin.

The machine beeped. And following that she heard a thud. She shook. And stared.

The door was unlocked.

Pushing the door, she carried up all her bags, gosh her shoulders and arms were so sore now.

Infront of her was a lift lobby that had two lifts. She pressed the button and waited. When the lift arrived, she saw that there was another fingerprint machine.

What am I? A prisoner? A scientist? Is all this really necessary? What if I was gonna be late for school? Gosh. She groaned to herself as she put her fingerprints on. After it scanned her fingerprints, yet again to her surprise ( at this point she was beginning to suspect that nothing else in this school can surprise her anymore) the lift had begun to move by itself.

Panicking, her eyes darted across the buttons on the lift. She jabbed on the first floor, then the second, then all of it when she saw that it wouldn’t respond.

Oh god. What have I done? Where is it going to lead me to? Has it denied my fingerprints?

The last thing she needed, and suspected was that someone in the building had pressed a button to call for the lift and it is where she would be heading. And when the lift door open, the student would stare at her, her crazy hobo bags, wondering who is she and what she was doing. She would be so embarrassed, not knowing what to do. God does she even know what floor her dorm is on!?

Then the lift stop.

6th Storey. Robin.

What? Robin couldn’t even register what it said in time when the lift opened. This is ridiculous, she thought. Is there really a need for the lift to read out who lived on this floor? And she suddenly realized that the impressive and smart lift didn’t need her to jab the number of her dorm but it knew. It knew.

God, this is impressive. She suddenly felt like a secret agent.

Stepping out of the lift, the cream-coloured carpeted floor stretched only a little, and she could see two big metal doors on her right and left. Infront of her was a small table that had a telephone on it. She wondered if the phone would speak to her too. Snapping herself out of it, she shifted her eyes to both doors. They both had a paper stuck on it and it printed out what looks like names. She squinted her eyes and read the first door.

xx ( it was in hangul)

xx

then she looked at the other door,

xx

xx

 

Okay.  She breathed in. I can do this. I have accomplished a lot of challenges today and this is it.

I just have to read hangul and I will know which bloody room is mine.

She stepped closer to read the first door again. Then she turned around, looking at the other paper.

Damn it. Why are all the 4 names two syllabus?!  Now she can’t even eliminate what might be her name and not. What are the chances seriously.

Then she recalled. Oh that’s right my name tag is in hangul. She thought and felt instantly relieved and proud of herself for remembering this as she reached into her shorts pockets and struggled to pull her name tag out.

Matching it to the paper, yes this is the right door.

She looked at the door again. Okay where is the bell?

Do I knock?

Do I ring the bell?

No, no Robin! There must be another fingerprint machine somewhere you idioit. Like the rest of the whole school.

Yes that’s right, the fingerprint machine! She placed her thumb on the scanner, which was stuck on the right side of the grey metal door.

 

You are authorized. Welcome Robin.

The machine beeped.

 

Yes, I bloody am authorized to finally reach my secret dorm and sleep! She thought to herself.

As the door unlocked, she carefully pushed in.

The first sight that greeted her was a typical school dorm, only much more posh because this was afterall, a posh and rich school. It was almost like a hotel room.

Two clean and expensive super-single sized bed with two small light wooden table that each has a orange lamp standing on it. Another wall stood two big closets. Opposite was a TV that was already on with two wooden book shelves beside it. The other end of the room stood two spacious studying table side by side, and finally a bathroom.

She immediately spotted her roommate seating on the chair, studying or doing some thing on the table.

“ Hi” She croacked. And cleared . It wasn’t supposed to come out so tight and nervous gosh she hate making new friends. It takes effort and it’s tiring. She closed the door behind her.

Turning around, a voice greeted her back.

“ Hey.”

This was a mistake—this had to be a mistake. She knew that Eleanor Hall was a co-​ed dorm. But is there such a thing as co-​ed room?

Looking as surprised as her, Baekyun frowned slightly.

Then he spoke, “ Wait. Why are you a girl?”

Robin didn’t know what to reply. She was confused. This was a boy. A skinny boy talking to her. “ Why can’t I be a girl?”

“ But there’s no co-ed rooms here”

“ That’s what I thought so too,” Robin replied, frowning a little as well.

“ Did you check the name on the door?” Baekyun asked, getting up towards her.

Robin’s heart pounded. “ Yeahh.. I didd.” She only managed to stammer. Because of course no, God. She can’t read hangul.

Opening the door then closing it again, Baekhyun took the paper in his hand.

“ Look it said here Robin”, he pointed.

“ Yeah.. that’s me” She replied. Now she was starting to feel like she was being accused.

Baekhyun frown grew deeper.

“ That’s a boy’s name” He declared.

“ No. It’s a uni name ” She said, almost immediately. Then realized she might sounded too offensive. “ .. actually” she added weakly.

“ Are you sure this is your name?” Baekhyun asked again, looking at the paper intently.

“I’m sure,” she said flatly. “I’ve had a lot of time to think about it.”

She looked at her watch. 9.22pm

Gosh. It’s already so late and she is just so tired. The thought of walking back to the admin building to sort this out sound incredibly tiring and she was sure she’s not capable enough to go through it. It’s been like a running man episode for her today.

Baekhyun, who now was looking at her suspiciously, said, “ Okay so that means the school probably messed up the rooming and thought that you’re a boy right?”

Defeated, Robin just shrugged,  “guess so”. Like my uniform.

Baekhyun didn’t move. “ So?” He said as his right hand flung up, motioning a question.

Robin was confused. What does he mean so? Is he going to throw her out of here? Although the thought of sharing a room with a boy is erse and strange but she’s sure nothing is going to happen if she was going to be rational about it. Surely this harmless looking guy can’t her.

“ Can I stay here just for the night?” She asked helplessly.

No one moved. And robin was beginning to really feel the tiredness kicking in. She had to do the persuading. It seemed necessary. She tried her best to not let this worsening attitude of hers translate into speech.

“ I'll just be sleeping on my bed and you'll be sleeping on yours. Nothing's gonna happened and i won't bother you it'll be like i'm not even here. I mean even if I walk back to the admin building now they’re probably closed so I’ll have to wait till tomorrow either ways so please just let me sleep her for the night and I’ll settle it by tomorrow.” She said, almost breathlessly. She didn’t expect herself to be saying so much to a stranger. " And I had a really crappy day i lost my entire way here because Korea can't make a decent map of anything and I got a boy's uniform which and I just.. need to sleep right now." Robin blabbered uncontrollably and glanced up, sure that she'll see Baekhyun staring at her like she's a lunatic, but instead he has this look of understanding. Which is almost worse because it feels a lot like pity.

Baekhun had a questioning look on his face. Then his expression began to change back to normal. “yeah.. I guess. There’s no other way anyway.” He said. Then he chuckled to break the awkwardness.

 

“Thank you.” Robin whispered, her humiliation complete.

“ I’m Baekyun” he stretched out his hand. Robin saw that it was shaking a little. Fair enough. So was hers.

“ Robin.” She said, shaking his hands back for only a split second and pulling her hands back, so much so that it felt awkward again.

She abruptly turned around and carried all her bags to the one of the closet and opened it almost immediately as she reached it. She began stuffing everything there unnaturally, feeling extremely uncomfortable and watched, although she was sure no one was watching her.

She turned around quickly for a check and saw that Baekhyun had gone back to his seat and was using his laptop. She felt slightly relieved.

Taking a hot shower felt like heaven and Robin began scrubbing every dirt off her body. It must be pretty late now because she had spent almost an hour before unpacking her stuff and preparing her stuff for her first lesson tomorrow. It wasn’t like she was going to stay her permanently, not with a boy that’s wrong but she couldn’t help arranging all her stuffs out neatly out of habit. She hoped that when she finished her shower Baekhyun would be asleep. Because she wasn’t in the mood to talk and she’s not as friendly as she aspire to be. She don’t wanna make conversation. She often come across as aloof because she didn’t speak much. Gosh. She dreaded the awkwardness she would face later.

But thankfully all those things she feared didn’t happen because by the time she had finished her shower Baekhyun was already in bed, with his back facing her. His side of the room was dark as he already switched off his lamps and the main lights. That left her orange dim lights on.

She slipped into bed quietly and felt the soft, thick and warm blankets covering her and she ducked inside it for protection from the cold air. It felt so so good.

She was tired. Anytime now she would fall asleep. And she was half excited and half scared of tomorrow. Her first day in school. What would it be like? This dream school she has always dream of. She must remember to call Leah tomorrow. That would certainly make everything better. With so much things to do she’d almost forgot to call her bestfriend who had been studying her since middle school. That’s one good thing. Even if she was going to continue to be a quiet awkward turtle in school she was relieved that she would still have one friend.And that would be all that she need because it would be Leah, not just anyone.

And with that, she felt her conscience slowly drifting away as her eyelids fell shut.