Part 16

The Drunkard and The Runaway Bride

“Is there something wrong with you?” Lay asked as he buckled the seatbelt. He thought Baekhyun somehow seemed pale and out of space. Previously Baekhyun looked fine even though with reverie that frequently occurred against him but recently he was like in the verge of breakdown. Lay was worried if his friend was falling sick unbeknownst to him but he started sensing Baekhyun's changes ever since Eunji appeared.

Baekhyun remained in place with arms folded. His eyes kept to stare at the street through a car windshield. Lay heaved a deep long sigh after he had waited for nothing.

“Baekhyun-ssi?”

“Baekkie?”

“Yah Bacon!”

“Um…what?”

‘He finally reacted’ Lay heaved another sigh. He wondered how Baekhyun could respond his loud yells and harsh pats with such calm responds.

“You okay?” Lay asked as he started to drive in steady speed.

“Of course I am” Baekhyun forced a smile while answering before shifted his head aside into the scenery passed around.

“But you…”

Baekhyun cut Lay before Lay could finish his words “Can you drop me at the next bus stop? I think I want to buy something first”

“What?” Lay was rather a little bit surprised and still worried “But I can wait. I should you. I'm the one who asked you to be my companion. You are supposed to take a rest now if I didn't come to you”

“No need Lay-ssi. I will spend a long time. Just go home and get a proper rest” Baekhyun said solemnly. “I'm not a girl anyway, there is nothing to worry about” he added with short giggle that’s actually fake just to cover his sadness.

Aish. Alright. Alright” Lay gave up on the persistent one. He nodded, keeping his head straight to the road ahead.

“Thank you” Baekhyun said, reaching the door’s knob.

“Baekhyun-ssi, …” Lay called out before Baekhyun got out.

“Yes?” Baekhyun turned around to face Lay.

Lay felt like his tongue was tied when he wanted to blurt out his curiosity questions so he ended up could say this “You look so tired and unwell dude”

“I’m fine. I go. Bye” Baekhyun bowed before closed the door.

Baekhyun took few steps away from the road, treading his shoes firmly on the swirly pavement. Clutching chest, he bitterly remembered everything that happened earlier. That time he really didn't know what he was supposed to do. He realized that she’s really the person he saw from a distance yesterday. And there he only sat motionless and stared at her wonderingly without any words while looking forward to the reactions she might do. He stayed like that and waited until time passed and the meeting reached its end.

What the heck was going on?

His eyes started to blur as there were tears threatening to fall but he managed to drag his weaker legs, moving as far as he could. He needed space to calm his nerves down and process what had happened. He was still clueless about everything. About the current her.

 

*****

 

Baekhyun groaned, pushing the cart to and fro. His eyes wandered around while occasionally glancing at a list on a piece of paper he had made. He was still in very bad condition and uncontrollable pain actually but he couldn't let himself die because terrible mess he had caused in his own house last night furthermore this morning he shrieked at the empty fridge, dying of hunger. He was indeed starving since he skipped dinner and let his stomach filled with only liquor.

“Baekhyun-ssi”

“…”quite surprised with sudden greeting and tap, he lost grip on can of mackerel till unwittingly dropped it.

Omo. I’m sorry. Did I surprise you?”

He hurriedly picked it from the floor then placed it back on the rack before twirled.

“Yyoouu?” he stammered with creased forehead.

“I really didn't know you would be so surprised”

“Ah. No problem. Nice to meet you again” he bowed. “Are you shopping alone?”

“No. I’m with Eunji”

“She’s here?” his body a little bit shivered to hear she was around him. At the same time his heart clenched painfully by merely imagination of meeting her again.

‘What’s with his sudden expression? Again’ Chorong thought soundlessly.

“Oh. Yes, she is. She always insists to go even though I obviously can handle this little thing” she moved aside, grabbing two jars of tomato-basil pasta sauce. “I just missed this from the shopping list” she mumbled. “I’ll go first Baekhyun-ssi. I can't let her wait for me, especially when she is unwell. Bye”. With that Chorong left, walking towards cashier where Eunji queued up in a short row.

Peeking head around rack, he saw Chorong was exchanging her position with Eunji. Chorong seemed muttering something to Eunji while pointing her index finger to his direction. She might tell Eunji about him. Right after that Eunji shifted her gaze onto that direction. Realizing it, he ducked in instant, didn't want to be seen even the slightest thing of him.

He caught sight of her face when she tilted head. She indeed looked unwell like what Chorong had said. Pale face, pink eyes, thick outerwear and scarf around neck were enough to indicate it.

Sometimes he really wanted to approach her to clarify everything but he would control himself instead because he might be more in pain and suffer or even worse she would be the one who’d experience them. He still didn’t understand. He gasped a large sum of air as he knew they already left.

‘But why she looks clueless?’ his head kept screaming inside.

 

*****

 

The art exhibition had been held successfully. Everyone seemed excited and satisfied to see the works of young artists which exhibited therefore the art gallery was so crowded in almost the whole day in a week. Meanwhile Baekhyun always stayed and busied himself in staff room throughout the event. The exact reason why he was so was to avoid every possibility of meeting Eunji anywhere. And it worked. He hadn't met or seen her yet.

It's already past 11 pm. Baekhyun was no longer had companion in staff room. Everyone had stormed out about 15 minutes ago. Seeing papers scattered, he gleaned them, crumpling into one big roll. He started stepping out of the room with paper roll in hand while humming random songs.

His head lowered a bit while his hand was throwing the trash. And when looked up, he saw someone walking along the hallway. That someone was all alone. He stopped humming hence it.

“Eunji” his mouth uttered automatically.

The painful tightness inside of him came again. He needed to leave but his feet would not move. It's like they were glued so he was forced to stay still, to see the whole unexpected scene. She's getting closer but still didn't realize his existence with her bowed sluggish head. He's very chaos inside.

Questions kept popping out continuously from his mind since he didn’t know anything even though they were in the same building during a week.‘Why are you alone? Where's Chorong? Where's Chanyeol? Didn't he always come to your important event? But why he is not here, by your side? He's too busy or what? He must be a jerk if it’s the reason’

He was pissed off yet on top of nervousness when she's only 3 meters away. His eyes widened when she suddenly collapsed onto parquet floor. Without the slightest doubt and hesitation he approached her. She's burning up from fever. Holding her tightly in his embrace, he tucked strand of her hair behind the ear while tapping her natural rosy pink cheek in panic.

“Eunji-ah, what’s wrong?” his sight captured her slightly opened eyes which gradually closed.

His heart beat rapidly. Afterwards he scooped her tiny and fragile figure, lifting it from the floor, quickly carrying her bridal style outside.

 

*****

 

Burying face in both palms, Baekhyun waited impatiently on the hospital bench.

“Baekhyun-ssi. What happened with Eunji? How's her condition now?” Chorong arrived in less than 20 minutes after got the info. She sounded anxious and looked so messy because of running.

“Where have you been Chorong-ssi? Why did you let her alone?” he asked sternly as he straightened his position.

She was taken aback by the way he asked and gazed her. It’s unexpected. It’s kinda scary. He's obviously glaring not staring. She wondered what made him acted that way.

“I…I…” she stuttered, her eyes didn’t dare to meet his.

“Where’s Chanyeol? Where’s that jerk? Why I couldn't find his name in her contact? Can you explain me this whole sh*t?” he didn't care how loud his voice would be heard. He was indeed in rage and only cared about one person.

Chorong looked up upon hearing it “How could you call him that way, Baekhyun-ssi?”

He didn’t answer.

She painstakingly gathered courage “How could you rudely call someone who…”. She painfully added “someone who passed away”.

He was aghast by that. “He…he…” his mouth only quivered, wasn’t able to produce more sound.

“Chanyeol and Eunji. They were in a car accident three months ago in Paris. A very severe accident” she would shed tears just by remembering it and now she felt burdened to tell it. “He passed away. Miraculously she survived. With severe injuries. With memory loss. And Chanyeol should be buried in his native land so she was unavoidably convalescing from injuries in here”

‘So this is the answer. This is the answer. This is the answer’ he said to himself. He dug in his shirt bitterly with eyes closed.

“So…” Chorong began again still in her redden eyes “What she is to you? What you are to her? You used to know her, didn't you?”

He opened his already watery eyes, heaving deep long sigh. “She's my everything” he simply said in so much loosening expression than before. At the same time the door swung open.

“Mrs. Park is in stable condition but still not regained consciousness. Now she may be visited” the doctor said calmly, hands in medical coat pockets.

“Thank you doc” the two bowed and thanked unison then looked at each other.

Chorong nodded, gesturing Baekhyun to get in first. She was so affected by his simple yet so meaningful sentence. She trusted him without asking for any further explanation. She only did whatever her heart said.

“Take your time” she mumbled.

He was kinda surprised with Chorong’s permit. “What about you?” he asked.

“I'll meet the doctor and contact Aunty Jung too” she said.

Memory when Eunji talked about her stepmother flashed but this time he would not too think about it. He just got a great chance so he would gladly take it.

“Chorong-ssi I’m sorry about earlier” he remorsefully said before reached the door knob. Chorong sighed in relief then walked away while hoping her decision was right.

The door slowly opened, revealing unconscious Eunji who was lying on the hospital bed. She was clad in hospital uniform, not in her floral dress anymore.

He walked in, nervously getting closer. His feelings jumbled until he did not know which one was more dominant as he stood beside the bed, watching her closely and clearly. His right hand already clasped hers, squeezing it gently while the other hand giving another gentle skinship on her crown. He still didn’t know how and whereof he should start anytime she opened her eyes.

Meanwhile Eunji gradually regained consciousness. She could feel, hear, and smell the things around her. She just couldn’t see anything since she was too lazy to open the eyes. For her, it's better to endure the pain all over body with closed eyes. Until…

‘What is this?’ she wondered in the darkness she created on her own as she felt something soft and warm pressed against her cheek.


Hopefully this is not disappointing :) Thank you very much :)