Part 12

The Drunkard and The Runaway Bride

Baekhyun sighed, disappointing on Eunji. His heart broke into million pieces seeing her still in contact with the man who supposed marry her and certainly had special feeling for her. Why she kept her head down? Did she feel guilty?

“He just wanted to know my current condition” she looked up, explaining shortly, seemed she could smell his suspicion on her.

“That’s all?”

“Uhm…” she was doubt to continue, gluing her eyes on ground again. He waited, tip toeing her who slowly tilted her head up.

“I told him where we are. I don’t know if it’s right or wrong, but I think I can trust him”

“Do you hope for his help?” she reminded silent at his question, swallowing saliva carefully, hoping he didn’t bring this thing up.

“Good. Why didn't you ask him to come and bring you to safer place? Oh, you definitely did it, didn’t you?”

“Baekhyun!!!” she yelled, narrowing eyes. Oh God, Baekhyun really brought this thing up. Everything she just did was big deal for him.

“Tch. He really can understand and comfort you. Unlike me” there was smirk plastered on his face along with disappointed expression.

“You're crazy” she thought his accusations were nonsensical and painful till she couldn’t stand with them anymore. Tears almost dropped from her eyes but she didn’t want to cry in front of him. It would be really pathetic.

She turned her back, gently closing eyes and feeling shortness of breath. Her weakened legs began to walk away, ignoring words she never wanted to hear, wishing her figure would disappear from his sight as soon as possible to shed tears that already filled her eyes. How could he doubt her feeling? A single tear fell, followed more tears that she kept wiping away.

He exhaled desperately, letting go girl who hadn’t apologized. Her giggles and laughs during the phone conversation still lingered in his mind. It was irritating. He really hated it. He supposed to be the one who could make her acted like that. Did she really hope for Chanyeol’s help? Wasn't he good enough to protect her? How could she let him feel like this? Question kept popping from his head, it just made him felt worse, so he sat while burying face in both cold palms.

 

*****

 

Baekhyun skipped dinner, he said he was tired so he chose sleeping instead of eating. It was his excuse only to keep their distance since they were avoiding each other. No one dared to protest especially Eunji. She joined the couple in the dining room. Silence was dominating. Even though her eyes seemed staring at the food, but she hadn't touched it yet. She only played with chopsticks in her hand while down-pointing mouth. The couple looked at each other, confusing.

“Are you okay Eunji-ah?” asked Mrs. Jang.

“Yes. I am” she tilted her head, faking eye smile. She completely wasn't like what she said. She started digging in her food, swallowing first bribe with difficulty. She had no appetite at all.

“Woah. It’s really delicious. Your cooking is the best, halmeoni” she praised. Her sentence just earned bigger worry. She was the one who cooking for dinner, but how could she forget it easily and praise anyone else?

What’s wrong with her memory? What’s wrong with her?” the couple thought about the same thing.

“Eat slowly” Mrs. Jang said, tapping Mr. Jang’s back. He was choking by Eunji’s compliment to his wife earlier. The couple frowned, thinking what's actually happening but they couldn't ask further since Eunji had told them she was okay. They just hoped so. The atmosphere went silent again.

“Oh, you can take a rest first, haraboji, halmeoni. I will finish it soon and clean up” Eunji said. They had not moved although they had finished their food. It must be because they waiting her who eating as slow as snail.

“Take a rest as you finish” Eunji nodded as response. “And bring your husband food. He may feel hungry at midnight” this time she didn’t speak a word or nodded. Just kept silent and thought should she do some of kindness to someone she was mad at. Realizing Mrs. Jang had left her alone in the dining room, she shook her head at that thought. She cleaned up quickly then went straight to bed room with empty hands of course.

Spotting empty space beside Baekhyun who was covered blanket over his head, she laid down quietly.

“Like the dead” she murmured, glancing at him. She would probably yell and pull the blanket away if they weren't in such situation. She turned to another side, hugging herself, facing the closed window sadly. He was beside her but she missed him a lot.

 

*****

 

Baekhyun awakened because of suffocation, there should be no problem with this if his blanket allowed enough airflow and/or he left enough space for a hole to breath out of. Pulling blanket down, he caught for air, groping around with wide opened eyes to find his phone, wanting to know what time it was. The screen showed 2 a.m. and his stomach growled in sudden. The last time he had eaten was dozen hours ago. How surprised he was when knowing there was a round low table beside of him with foods on it.

He turned his head to opposite direction, finding Eunji was in deep slumber. He blamed on himself because mad at girl who still taking care of him.

Few hours ago…

She would rather sleep than bring him food but her closed eyes still couldn't bring her to dreamland however she did it for quite long. She got up, sighing then walked lazily to the bath room. After had washed her face, she wanted to go back to bed room but when passed dining room, she stopped right beside of dining table. Seeing some left foods just reminded her about Baekhyun. Deep in heart she still cared about him, even though some of part still denied it.

The next thing she did was lifted up round low table with difficulty to bed room. She put it down carefully, reluctant to make some noise that could wake him up. It would be awkward if she was caught. Later her beautiful lips formed into smile. She hoped things would get better. Didn't know why, she could fell asleep after did that.

 

*****

 

Sunlight streamed through the open window onto the spot where Eunji was sleeping. Squinting and squirming, she realized this time wasn’t morning anymore. She got out in rush after had folded the blanket and tidied up the room. How could there was blanket on her? Did Baekhyun cover her with it last night? The last thing she knew before slept was Baekhyun still wore blanket for himself.

She found no one inside home, but she was taken aback when Baekhyun appeared from kitchen. He was holding bowl in his hand and standing frozen. Their eyes met but she quickly walked to bath room, closed the door then locked it.

When she came out, Baekhyun was sitting cross-legged, eating calmly. She busied herself with braiding her hair, didn't want to be seen was paying attention at him. She hoped someone else would come and lessened the awkward atmosphere between them. It seemed impossible since the older couple went to market in early morning and hadn’t come back yet. She jumped in surprise as her phone rang. Without checking it she already knew who was calling. She ignored it, busying herself with hair again. Unbeknown, Baekhyun felt relieved.

There were knocks on the front door as her phone went silent. She just wanted to open the door when suddenly he passed her, running to the living room, leaving her dumbfounded. She blinked couple times. But it had not finished until there, he came back to dining room, grabbing random things including her phone then putting them into small bag. He grabbed her wrist then pulled her outside through back door. She let herself being pulled, following his quick steps, watching her wrist in firm and warm palm. Jaws dropping.

“Where will we go?” finally she was able to ask.

“Nearest bus stop”

She stopped, pulling her hand away from him. “What? And why?” she was very shocked. He sighed desperately. Seemed answering her questions was like wasting time.

“The spies. They’re chasing after us. Chanyeol might call you because of that”

“Omo. It means, they who knocking door earlier” she widened her eyes.

“Exactly. Let’s go” he pulled her again, running with full speed. This incident unwittingly made them communicate and involved some skinships again.

Placing one hand on chest, she couldn’t breathe properly because exhausted. She gradually looked at his grasp, his sweating palm made her wrist wet. She buried her intention to ask to stop for a moment, seeing he struggled with dripping sweat without a glimpse of sense of wanting to give up.

“Are you tired?” he asked. She wondered his facial expression for anxiety since he asked without looking at her.

“No. Are we almost there?” she tried speaking as normal as usual, didn't want her tiredness was noticed by her voice however she was panting and knees almost dropped on the ground.

“Just few more. The bus stop is near the bridge” he looked back, to check and make sure she was okay but his eyes widened instantly. His sight caught a glimpse of an approaching car behind. It was their (the spies) car. He had seen it parked in the yard when he opened door in rush because thought of Mr. and Mrs. Jang needed some help and rest after spent their whole morning in the market. And then again there he saw three boys standing instead of the couple, his eyeballs almost jumped out and mouth hang open. He closed and locked the door right when Suho tried to bursts in. He could be recognized by his bird nest hair that kinda brought Suho's bad memory back once he saw it.

“That’s the bus” she pointed sadly at the bus that seemed leaving the bus stop.

“Damn. We have to catch that bus before they see us” he pulled her to run faster. She could feel sore in her foot. Running on the rocky way quite far and long with only slippers on was the reason of it. She bit her lower lips, enduring pain. His palm was still firm and tight on her wrist. On the other hand the car was getting nearer and the bus was few meters away in front of them.

“Eunji-ah. Come on. We can do it”

His words affected on her. Not much but enough to strengthen her. Should she be grateful because having him by her side? She smiled, it was weak smile, but at least she could smile in such situation.

Once they were beside the bus, he tapped strongly on the side of bus board while shouting at top of his lungs. It was his first time he releasing his grasp. Finally the bus stopped, soon they jumped in. They bowed slightly before walked looking for empty seats. Many pairs of passenger’s eyes were looking at them, he apologized nervously because had surprised them with his acts before. She pulled her hoodie down, worrying if anyone could recognize her because of the news her mother had made.

She rested her head on his shoulder, closing her eyes slowly. They wasn’t involved so many conversation even to discuss about their fight yesterday. They were too tired of running and escaping.

Eunji gradually opened her eyes, spotting Baekhyun who was still sleeping. She shook his arm gently to wake him up.  

“Where will we go down?” she asked, smiling at him who rubbing his eyes cutely.

“We have to go down before reach town. I think next bus stop” he said. “Eunji-ah, check your phone. Someone might contact you”.

“I won’t. Maybe I shall throw this phone away because I only need you by my side” she shook her head, intertwining their hands.

“Yah. Don't be so cheesy” he warned playfully “I just realized my childishness because mad at you yesterday. I think Chanyeol is really helping”

“But…” she resisted, pouting.

“No buts” he handed her the phone. She gave up on him, turning on her phone lazily but her jaws dropped when she found how many calls and messages she got.

“Oh. This is the bus stop. Let’s go down” he grabbed her hand then got out from the bus together. The bus stop was located near the traditional market that seemed crowded.

 “Read the messages one by one. He might send very important information” he told her then she smacked him lightly.

“Are kidding me?”

“Of course not. Read carefully, understand? Let’s buy some foods and bandage for your foot. You still can walk properly, right? I have no left energy to piggyback you”

She glared after his long words been spoken then followed him who seemed ignoring her entire annoying expressions. With head hung low, she glued eyes on the screen, doing his orders before. But when she looked up to call him, he wasn’t no longer around her. She tried to find him, walking here and there, but his figure has not been seen.

 

*****

 

At the same place…

“How could you eat greedily in such situation?” Suho slapped Sehun who seemed really busy with foods in front of him.

“Yah. Don’t worry hyung. People said foods would make anyone happier and something getting easier” Sehun replied nonchalantly.

“Tch” Chen smirked.

“I think that theory is right” Sehun said with slight smirk, looking at one direction.

The rests followed his gaze. There was a girl with braided hair who really catching their attention.


12 is my favorite number. I hope you like this chapter ^^