Part 15

The Drunkard and The Runaway Bride

‘I have to find out the truth’ Baekhyun shut his eyes and nodded after finished packing. He was determined to move to Seoul after that painful night. His resignation has been submitted in person respectfully and courteously so he would leave on good terms, didn't want to be remembered as an ungrateful person though.

He opened his eyes swiftly as his thought was distracted by phone vibration.  The taxi was already waiting for him outside the building apartment. He walked out the room, dragging suitcase without even taking a second look. He was indeed more than ready to go, leaving a well-developed harbor town on the southwestern coast, Mokpo, where he lived during past few months.

He through his early days in Seoul with difficulty, until once thought to use his gambling skill to survive in such hard times but he managed to erase that thought away. Thankfully, he got jobs as part time worker in bookstore and restaurant to pay his house rent and support his life without forgetting the main goal, asking here and there ceaselessly. His frustration grew as his attempt to dig information was in vain.

One day he met someone who eventually able to answer his question. He wrote an address on a piece of paper enthusiastically. The next day he found himself was standing nervously in front the gate of luxury mansion. He rounded his eyes while wiping off bead of sweat on his temple when security guard popped out, staring in weird way at him.

“Is this Jung family mansion?” finally a question came out from his mouth as he moved closer with a glimpse of hope after remained silent for a moment.

The security guard examined Baekhyun's look carefully but it somehow made him pitying the young man. He couldn't help but give Baekhyun some necessary information.

The old owner (Jung family) already moved and now the mansion was owned by another family. The security guard quite knew about Jung family life. He was still faithfully working there even though with different host, precisely, he was the only old occupant left there. He told Baekhyun more. How surprised, shattered and suffered he was, knowing everything Jiyeon said was the truth.

‘Why is fate so cruel?’ Baekhyun unsteadily walked away with so much pain and no hope. He caught teardrops and raindrops at once in his upturned hand.

 

*****

 

“What with this sudden decision?” Chanyeol asked. He just dropped by then heard most surprising thing.

“Don't ask me back? Just answer?” Eunji’s sharp gaze told her seriousness while her hand was still gently caressing Bonnie, her dog.

“But…” Chanyeol exhaled “Okay. I will. We will get married soon”

“I believe your decision is reasoned” he added.

“One more, can you take me away after we got married?”

He startled by each of her question but he managed to keep his composure “I can”

“Thank you Chanyeol-ssi”

‘If this is your wish then I will grant without any coercion, mom. I love you'

'I'm really sorry Baek. I love you so much’

Eunji wiped away her tears.

 

*****

 

Two awful years has passed. However Baekhyun’s heart was still far from word 'good' but he got better life after worked as accounting clerk in famous art gallery. Going to nightclub was his way to relieve stress about past since there was the only place he could smile and laugh as an idiot.

Baekhyun walked gloomily with white paper coffee cup in his right hand, pushing the crowd on sidewalk. He wanted caffeine so badly but he would rather enjoy it in the park at the same time to see sunset. And he was almost there.

“Baekhyun” he faintly heard his name called.

“Baekhyun” again.

“Baekhyun” and again.

The superficial and deep muscles of his neck worked to move his head. Running fingers through hair, he unsurely yet continuously turned his head around. And later he was in the state of shock.

“Eunji?” he suddenly blurted, couldn't believe his vision.

He sensed that that voice was from the direction where a girl was walking her playful furry friend on leash. She looked exactly like Eunji. She's a lot prettier and skinnier but he could see many physically resemblances. He believed she’s Eunji who he was expecting and looking for. He didn’t lessen his belief although there was one more difference about brunette short hairstyle without bangs that making her looked more mature than Eunji.

He loosened his grip on his coffee and his heart beat wilder, watching her eyes formed into crescents when she smiled. He swore Eunji absolutely had eye smile like that.

“Eunji” he mumbled without interrogative tone anymore.

Aish!?My blouse”

“Please be careful sir”

He ignored the first yell but couldn't for the second time when it became louder and he just realized had spilled his coffee on someone's blouse. He half-heartedly yet constantly shifted his eyes from Eunji (?) to his victim (?).

Omo?!” he abruptly jumped backwards finding himself had ruined expensive silk blouse of the young lady with brown stain. Some people looked at them but didn't pay so much attention to something they considered as minor incident.

“I’m really sorry” he apologized sincerely then glanced sideways to place where Eunji was before. She seemed was being pulled by her dog, making her gradually lost from his sight.

“Never mind sir. I need to go though. I was in hurry to catch someone” the young lady said.

“Huh?” he looked at the young lady back, confused.

“Once again, I’m really sorry” he apologized again, feeling guiltier because she didn’t mind his fault.

“I told you never mind. Just don’t spacing out in the crowd anymore” she said, bowing slightly deeper then left.

“Oh. Yes” he bowed as well, facing back of young lady who starting to trot away.

“Aish. Why is she so fast? She has no idea about this place though” he could clearly hear her murmur on her way.

He widened his eyes as he remembered Eunji. She’s possibly around so he rushed to look for her.

 

*****

 

“Ah…I finally found you” someone stated, sighing in relief.

“Oh. Chorong eonnie”

“Yes. Mrs. Park” Chorong walked closer still in her improper breath of panting.

“I definitely made you worry again. I’m sorry. This is the umtenth time I tell you to drop the formality. Just call me by name. I'm younger than you anyways”

“Is it okay?” Chorong asked confirmation and she got yes-nod as respond.

“Okay then Mrs. Park… I mean EUNJI” she giggled at her own awkward beginning.

“Sit down here. You look so tired” Eunji tapped empty space beside her “What is that brown stain on your blouse? Did bad thing happen to you?”

“It's nothing. Someone just accidentally spilled coffee on my blouse” Chorong explained with reassuring smile.

“Let’s go home then. You need to change your clothes. It must be uncomfortable for you” Eunji felt guilty. It's still her fault of making Chorong so worry till she lost her awareness of what happened around.

“It’s okay but alright then” Chorong got up then uttered good comment to the dog that lying down and looking up. “Woah. It's so unusual. He's so calm now”

“You really didn't know how he pulled me here and there earlier” Eunji rolled her eyes. Chorong burst into laughter.

 

*****

 

There would be an exhibition of some young artists in art gallery where Baekhyun worked. All staffs were pretty busy preparing it while Baekhyun was in ocean of thought about Eunji. He rested his head on hand, zoning out.

“Ouch” his head banged on the desk after someone swung his hand which he used to support his head before.

“Is it hurt Baekhyun-ssi?”

“What brings you here Lay-ssi?” Baekhyun asked back while rubbing his cheek, couldn’t believe this adult man could be so silly.

“Fortunately you are not easily get angry. But I’m still sorry” Lay, the curatorial assistant, apologized.

“No problem. Thanks for compliment that sneaked into your speech”

Aigoo. By the way, have you done?” Lay asked.

“I guess so. Is there anything that you need Lay-ssi?”

“The curator of contemporary art asked me to meet one of the young artists. So would you come with me?”

“Of course”

With that Lay dragged Baekhyun to go with him.

 

*****

 

The housemaid invited Lay and Baekhyun to come in and wait for a while in the living room. Baekhyun sat comfortably on the large sofa, his eyes couldn't stop wandering and his mouth kept mumbling 'wow', mesmerizing by interior design of the living room. He had wondered from beginning about how good the interior would be since he was already impressed by the exterior. Exhaling, he stopped wandering and started to lock his eyes on interesting view of fresh outside view through the window. On the other hand, Lay looked so calm, gluing to the tablet.

“It’s really beautiful” Baekhyun said out of the blue.

“Just wait and see the real beauty” Lay responded nonchalantly.

“Huh?”

“Sorry to make you wait”

The two quickly averted their eyes.

“You? I’m sorry about that day” Baekhyun gulped, abruptly standing. Lay followed standing even though he was puzzled. Then the three bowed each other.

“I told you it’s okay. I’m Park Chorong and…” Chorong held out her hand, furrowing eyebrow.

“Baekhyun. Byun Baekhyun” they did a handshake.

“Nice to meet you, Mr. Yang” she moved next to Lay “Please sit down”

They had conversation about five minutes before Lay’s phone vibrated. He excused himself to answer the call, leaving the two.

“Baekhyun” he faintly heard his name called just like that day.

“Did someone call me?” Baekhyun asked Chorong.

“I think none”

“Really?”

“I’m sure. I have pretty good hearing”

“Sorry. I didn’t mean to”

“It’s okay Mr. Byun” Chorong smiled.

“I can't wait to see your awesome paintings Mrs. Park” Baekhyun tried to lightened up situation.

“Eh?” she rounded her eyes, surprised.

Suddenly the dog popped out, joining in the living room.

Soon after that someone appeared while saying “AishBACON don’t you dare to interrupt my meeting!”

Then the next words “Sorry to keep you waiting so long”

Baekhyun felt hard thump in his chest.

“I think you misunderstand sir. She's Mrs. Park while I'm Ms. Park. She's the artist while I'm her personal assistant” Chorong said, noticing Baekhyun's different expression when Eunji came out. She usually encountered that expression from everyone who captivated by Eunji but she thought Baekhyun's expression was somehow a bit different. It's so meaningful.

Then the snuggle dog interrupted her “Bac…” she paused “Ah wait… Bacon… Baekhyun... Bacon… Baekhyun… Bacon… he might be misheard” she murmured quietly.


Another update. Yehet. Thanks for feedbacks ^^

There are things that you don't  know yet so stay tuned

FYI : Bonnie (Eunji's female samoyed) died after giving birth to Bacon (Eunji's current pet). (actually still don't know this is important or not) Ewwww