Part 11

The Drunkard and The Runaway Bride

“Wake up sleepyhead” Baekhyun pulled Eunji’s hair playfully.

Eunji slapped Baekhyun’s arm, still shutting her eyes and turning to another side. Seemed she didn’t want to be bothered .He could only sigh and focus on driving again. He had driven for couple hours till reached village where the street wasn’t congested by vehicles and fresh air could be caught easily. This place was far far away from the city.

It was getting dark and the car stopped unwillingly on the bridge. The car was out of fuel, making him cursed and ruffled his hair.

“Eunji-ah” he shook shoulder of the sleeping peacefully figure.

 “Wake up or I’ll kiss you” he threatened.

“Okay okay” she opened her eyes facing him with annoyed look.

“The car is out of fuel” he informed.

“Really? What should we do?” she slack-jawed.

“We can’t stay here. What if bunch of robber or beast come?”

She looked around. They were on the bridge and her sight caught empty street, trees and bushes. His words would possibly happen. Fear infiltrated to her body.

“Let’s get out” she said grabbing the bag.

The sharp wind lashed across their body as they got out from the car. Shivering, she wrapped her jacket tighter.

“Are you sure there is house around here?” she asked bitterly.

“Let’s find out” he held out his hand and she gladly placed her palm on his while smiling. His warm palm made her felt better. Hand in hand, they walked synchronously.

They hadn’t found any house yet. The thick clouds became drizzle then downpour in short time. She was pale and her lips trembled.

“Are you okay? Shall we shelter under the tree?” he asked with concern. She shook her head, reassuring she was okay with small smile. He held her hand tighter and his other hand caressed her cheek before pecked on her forehead. Then they walked again.

They were completely wet but hadn’t given up. Finally he saw speck of light. It gave a glimmer of hope, soon he directed the flashlight to the light’s direction, and a smile was curled. There was a house near the bend.

He knocked on the door while she was sitting on a wooden chair, struggling with coldness. As the door opened, she joined him, standing beside him to greet anyone who opening the door.

“Good night” he greeted, bowing politely to an old woman.

“Come in. It’s very cold outside” she told without any suspiciousness because she couldn’t stand anymore with their condition, especially Eunji, she was not even able to move to speak.

He brought Eunji inside, placing arm around her shoulders. They were in the living room of traditional Korean house. It’s so warm inside and the light wasn’t too bright, so peaceful and quiet without any noise from TV program. The only one noise was rain sound that loud enough.

 “Who is visiting?” an old man appeared.

“Good night” Baekhyun did a slight bow and Eunji could only greet with a sincere smile.

“What happened to both of you?”

Baekhyun explained everything. The couple trusted him. Mr. and Mrs. Jang had no children, both of them through everything until their old age with loneliness. They permitted them to stay, assuming they were own family because their presence brought happiness.

Baekhyun and Eunji went back to the living room after changed their clothes. Without any thought they joined the couple sitting on the cushions, surrounding the square wooden table. There were four cups of hot tea had been served that matched with the cold weather.

“Are you newlywed?” Mrs. Jang asked. Eunji almost choked her drink, glancing at Baekhyun as soon possible.

“Yes, we are. We just married a month ago” Baekhyun got light smack and glare from Eunji. He said that because didn’t want to get them wrong. These days, world became crazy because of bunch of teenage couples that acted like as husband and wife. He didn't want to make the couple going crazy too by knowing their real status. And the most important, he didn't want to be evicted sooner. This place with very kind-hearted owners was the only hope to survive.

“Good. Here are only two bedrooms. We won't worry if you share a room together” Mr. Kim said.

Eunji glared at Baekhyun once again. Earning Baekhyun apology expression.

 

*****

 

It was still raining. Baekhyun and Eunji were lying on the same sleeping pad, covered with a blanket. There was a bolster between them that would block every possible movement. Crouching, they faced the opposite direction.

“It’s your fault” she mumbled, pouting.

“Okay. I will sleep on the floor if you keep blaming on me”

“Yah. Andwae. You will get cold or even fever” she grabbed his wrist.

She pulled her hand away meanwhile he chuckled slyly.

Now they were staring at ceiling. “Don't worry. You have built great wall between us” he tapped on the bolster.

“I will kick you if you do something erted on me”

“I understand. Can you believe your own boyfriend?”

She rolled her eyes, slapping his arm playfully couple times. He winced in pain, pleading her to stop. Everything became silent after they fell asleep.

 

*****

 

Eunji woke up, stretching her muscles. Baekhyun still snored beside her, hugging the bolster. He was so cute. She pulled the blanket over his shoulder then pinched his cheek before left the bedroom. Morning dew still wet the foliage. She took a seat on the chair in the yard, mesmerizing by the sun that was rising from behind the mountain. It was priceless moment that she never got when she lived in the midtown.

“You had woke up Eunji-ah”

She rolled her head. Mrs. Jang walked to her, smiling warmly, joining to sit on the same chair. She smiled as well then locked her eyes on the sun again.

“It’s so beautiful” she beamed.

“You’re also beautiful. I wish I have a beautiful daughter as you” Mrs. Jang rubbed Eunji’s cheek.

“I will be your daughter with pleasure” Eunji hugged Mrs. Jang tightly. Mrs. Jang almost dropped a tear, she was so touched with this girl.

“I’m too old to be your mom” Mrs. Jang chuckled “What do like for breakfast dear?” they separated.

“Anything. I will help you cooking”

“Did you sleep well last night?” Mrs. Jang brushed Eunji’s hair.

“I did”

“I heard noises from your bed room. I really like newlywed”

“Oh” Eunji scratched not-so-itchy-head nervously, feeling her warmed cheeks.

 

*****

 

Baekhyun had helped Mr. Jang in his cabbage and radish plantation. It was tiring. His energy had been drained. He took a bath then gathered for dinner. His bowl was full, he quickly emptied it with a pair of chopsticks. Eunji nudged him, smiling sheepishly. Munching, he ignored her. Mr. and Mrs. Jang just laughed at them.

“I will help her cleaning up the table and washing all. You can take a rest first” Baekhyun said.

“Thank you” Mrs. Jang left them together.

It did not take long for them to clean up all because they had divided each task. He brought all dirty stuffs to the kitchen to be washed by her then he would place them on the wooden shelf.

“Done. I want to sleep” she yawned. She walked heading bedroom but he quickly pulled her t-shirt before she went further.

“Yah. What are you doing?” she pouted cutely.

“Do you forget we’re couple?”

“Of course I don’t”

He cleared his throat. “Can we lovey dovey like the other couples on earth? You even barely gave me a peck” he said, acting like a kid.

“Yah” she yelled “What if anyone sees?” she bit her lower lips.

“Who cares? We are even husband and wife in their eyes”

With that he pinned her against the wall, locking his eyes on hers, caressing her untied long brown hair with his long fingers. They had the most intense eye contact. She felt butterfly in her tummy as his lips touched her forehead tenderly.  He went down to her nose then ended up staring at her lips. It wasn’t their first kiss, but she was always nervous. Placing her palms on his chest, she could feel his heart beat with same speed like hers.

He captured her lips, it was slow at the beginning but soon to be passionate. Her palms traced to around his neck, pulling him closer. 

“I wonder your mom's reaction if she know who is her daughter's mate” he whispered, catching for air. Her eyes formed into the most beautiful crescents, smiling widely. He leaned in, capturing her lips again, treating with the earlier way. They didn’t know two pair of eyes knew the whole scenes, peeking behind the curtain with quiet giggles.

 

*****

 

Two weeks later…

Eunji and Mrs. Jang conversed while enjoying scenery in the afternoon. The old woman seemed really happy, her lips incessantly curved into smile by Eunji’s jokes. She always almost forgot wrinkles and how old she was when Eunji was with her.

“Halmeoni” Eunji called, snuggling like puppy. Eunji called her 'halmeoni' since they had entwined their little fingers, doing pinky promise few days ago.

“Aish. When are you going to give me grandchildren?”

“Grandchildren?” Eunji swallowed hard. How could she answer such question when she hadn’t married yet? In fact she and Baekhyun were just dating. They were officially dating exact on their way to the village, to the home they stayed now. Her vibrating phone interrupted her deep thought. She excused herself to answer the call.

“Where is Eunji, halmeoni?” asked Baekhyun who just appeared.

“She is answering a call”

He found her was talking under the tree. He couldn’t hear the conversation she had, only able to wait until she finished and she was bit surprised with his presence.

“You’re here?” she asked.

“Was that Chanyeol?” he asked straightly. She nodded bitterly as answer.


Yeay another update. Apink is back and Pink Blossom is great. I can't stop listening to Mr. Chu, even though I hope for Eunji's part more, but it's okay, the song is still addictive. Have a nice day readers ^^