Father & Son

Never Planned to Fall in Love with You [HIATUS]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Small eyes gently fluttered open, an equally tiny hand rubbing the sleep from the eyes before their owner blinked several times in confusion at the sight before him. Eyes widening in fright, he scooted away to the farthest end of the bed, clutching tightly both his chipmunk toys to himself, as if he was afraid that they might be taken away from him.

“Papa?”

On the ground, Kyuhyun was lightly snoring away with his head propped on his arm in a sitting position. He’d fallen asleep waiting for the boy to wake up. Henry dared not wake him up since he was still slightly afraid of him. Perhaps he should just look for his Minnie hyung and ask him what his papa was doing at his place.

“Minnie hyung, Mochi is hungry…”

Hearing no reply, the little kid slid out of bed, making as little sound as possible. He then remembered his Minnie hyung telling him that he might not be around that day but he still walked around the apartment to make sure. He now knew that the entire apartment was empty save for the sleeping man and himself, and he felt slightly wary of how the man would react when he woke up. Still, he couldn’t ignore the hungry growls his stomach was giving him, so when he saw the jar of cookies on the counter, his worried face broke into a small grin at the sight of breakfast – or brunch, but his stomach wouldn’t know the difference anyway.

The jar of cookies was a little out of reach, but the smart little kid dragged up a dining chair and climbed onto it, reaching the jar with ease. He unscrewed the tight lid and smiled triumphantly when the lid came off and he could reach in with his hand to pull out a few of the cookies. He couldn’t help feeling rather proud of himself – after all, his Wonnie hyung always praised him whenever he did things by himself. Sungmin too, but he never encouraged the boy to climb up the counter for fear of him slipping and falling although that never stopped Henry from doing it before.

Feeling a little thirsty, he patted over to the refrigerator and opened the door. Sungmin stocked up on banana milk for him ever since he started staying there, so all Henry had to do was to just open the pack of milk and either pour it into a glass or stick a straw through the opening.

There was just one tiny problem.

“How does it open?” Henry asked himself, scratching his head with a frown on his face. Taking the milk pack in his hands, he turned it around and around to look for the lid or at least some sort of opening but he couldn’t find it. At least in those juice boxes there was a straw provided so he could poke through the foil opening, but there weren’t any straws provided on this thing. Henry even tried biting the top open but he only hurt his teeth instead. He wanted to use the big kitchen scissors he saw but he knew he might hurt himself; plus Sungmin always kept it in the topmost cabinet so he couldn’t reach it anyway. He shook the milk in mild frustration before setting it on the table harshly.

“Bad milk,” he muttered, folding his arms and boring his eyes into the stubborn packet of milk. “Mochi doesn’t like you.”

 

 

Kyuhyun snorted and woke up with a jump. In his confusion his arm slipped and he managed to bang his forehead against the hard wooden bed frame, completely waking him up instantly. He winced in pain and rubbed at the forming bruise muttering curses underneath his breath when he suddenly realized that Henry wasn’t sleeping in the bed anymore. He got up from the floor, still rubbing his head and letting out quiet ‘owws’ and ‘aahs’ as he walked.

Figuring that the boy would be in the kitchen looking for something to eat, Kyuhyun headed there first. His intuition was right. True enough, he found Henry sitting at the table with cookie crumbs on his face, sulking at a pack of banana milk. If his head didn’t hurt that much he’d probably have chuckled at the adorable sight. Instead, he let out a small sigh, which didn’t go unheard by Henry.

Henry widened his eyes and looked up from the milk he’d been staring at for the past ten minutes or so. There was slight fear showing in his eyes; he still didn’t know how he ought to react to Kyuhyun. He sat frozen on the chair, not daring to move, just in case Kyuhyun blew up at him again. His bottom lip began quivering, but he didn’t want to cry. After all, he was a big boy already, wasn’t he?

Kyuhyun noticed the tense atmosphere and decided to break it by giving the boy an awkward and somewhat apologetic smile. “Ah, um, hi Henry.” He wanted to apologize for being such a jerk before but he was slightly stuck. He’d never apologized to a kid before and wondered just how intelligent they were when it came to accepting apologies.

“Mochi, papa—hyung.”

The stylist cocked an eyebrow. “Hyung?”

Henry opened his mouth like he wanted to explain, but he thought better about it and shut his mouth, shaking his head. “Mochi.”

“What hyung are you talking about—okay you know what, never mind,” Kyuhyun said, forgetting his bruised forehead when he slapped a hand over it. “Oww!!”

The little kid giggled at the wincing male, who was now lightly feathering the swollen lump on his head. “You’re funny,” he giggled, cupping his own face and mimicking Kyuhyun’s earlier expression. “Papa not scary when not shouting at Mochi.” He quickly covered his mouth when he realized he called Kyuhyun ‘papa’ again. “Oopsie.”

Kyuhyun smiled sheepishly and pulled out a chair to sit opposite the boy. “I think I can get used to you calling me ‘papa’, Henry.”

“Papa not angry at Mochi anymore?” Henry asked, peeking at him through his eyelashes with a hopeful expression. His lips formed into a pout. “Mochi sorry for making papa angry.”

“No, it’s me who should be sorry. I shouldn’t have yelled at you like that the other day. I was being a jerk to you, and I’m sorry. I promise I’ll try not to get mad at you in the future,” Kyuhyun quickly said. “But just to be sure, what was your mama’s name?”

“Mama?” Henry repeated, with a frown of concentration on his face. “Mama says her name is Seohyun, but Wonnie hyung always calls her Joohyun. I call her mama!!”

Kyuhyun nodded in acknowledgement, remembering how he was the one who gave her ‘Seohyun’ as her nickname last time. He didn’t really know what to think after finding out that she had been calling herself ‘Seohyun’ even after breaking up. “Did she tell you who your papa is?”

“Aren't you my papa?” Henry asked again. “Mama never told me who is papa, but mama showed me a picture and she said the man is Mochi’s papa. And papa is the man in the picture so papa is my papa, right?” the little boy added, tears slowing starting to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter