Little Boy

Never Planned to Fall in Love with You [HIATUS]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sungmin sighed as he plopped himself down on the couch with a tray of pumpkin cookies, getting ready to enjoy the rest of his day which was free of schedules until the next day. Breaks like this were rare to come by, and the supermodel treasured every moment he had and usually the day was spent with either a relaxing visit to the spa or staying at home munching on his favourite cookies while he watched TV or read an interesting book. It had been some time since his last break and there was this very intriguing book he’d just started two days ago so he was determined to finish the whole book by today, when he was all alone. Even his manager hyung knew better than to disturb him at this time.

Just as the strawberry blonde was just snuggled up comfortably on the couch with his mystery book in hand, the doorbell rang before two knocks also sounded at his door. Sungmin puffed out in annoyance as the knocking sounded again, a little more urgent this time. He placed the cookie back onto the dish and strode over lazily to the door of his apartment, looking in the peephole to see who it was.

He saw a tall man in a suit and sunglasses standing before his door. Sungmin hesitated a while before opening the door, not unlatching the security chain yet.

“Lee Sungmin-sshi?”

Sungmin’s eyes grew wide. Only a handful of people knew where he lived and he wanted to keep it all hush-hush; even his neighbours didn’t know that an international supermodel was living alone right next to them in an average apartment. He liked his privacy and this man in a suit here could be posing as a threat seeing that he knew who Sungmin was. He cleared his throat and asked the uniformed man warily.

“Uhm, who are you?”

“You’re Sungmin-sshi, right?” The man in suit asked, a crooked smile tugging his lips. “Pleased to meet you. My name is Choi Siwon, but you can call me just Siwon.”

“Yes, uhh sir. Uhm, how may I help you?” Sungmin asked, still staying behind the safety of the chain. The man looked dangerous to him somehow and Sungmin wasn’t about to risk getting hurt, or even worse, bruised or hurt when he had that photoshoot session coming up tomorrow so he was just playing it safe. “How did you know who I am?”

Siwon chuckled. “Ahh, yes. Don’t worry, Only I know who you are. Your secret is safe with me. I’m just here to ask you a favour,” the mafia boss said. Sungmin thought he saw tiny legs hiding behind the tall man and he lifted an eyebrow curiously, waiting for an elaboration.

“I assume you’re quite close with a certain Cho Kyuhyun, yes?”

The blonde nodded. “We’re acquaintances in a way. Why do you ask?”

“I am his godfather,” – Sungmin’s eyes widened at this part, but Siwon continued – “and when he ran away from me last time, he left behind some responsibility.”

“What do you mean? He ran away from you? Responsibility?” The puzzled model echoed, tilting his head in confusion. Kyuhyun certainly never mentioned a Siwon last time and Sungmin wondered for a while if this man was lying to him, or at least pulling his leg, although he highly doubted so.

Siwon chuckled and waved off the matter. “Ahh, he left due to family matters. I’m just asking you a favour. I believe you’re good with kids, no?”

Sungmin’s frowned as he focused his gaze again on the tiny legs behind Siwon. Siwon turned around and squatted down, patting the little kid on the head. “Mochi-ah, you’ll be staying with Minnie hyung from now on, okay? He’s really, really good friends with your papa. He’ll take care of you from now on, alright? You must remember to behave yourself, or Minnie hyung won’t bring you to your papa.”

“Nehh, Wonnie hyung. Mochi big now. Mochi good boy,” the kid replied with a toothy smile, hugging a chipmunk plush toy closer to his little body.

The supermodel’s eyes couldn’t get any bigger after hearing the exchange of words. Realisation dawned on him that he was now expected to take care of a little child. “W-what? You want me to take care of him? No, no, no, I can’t do that. I’m too busy to look after a kid like him!! What were you thinking??” he panicked, taking a step back.

The mafia boss sighed and stood up. “Sungmin-sshi, I’m aware that you’re usually busy, but this is the only way Mochi here can meet with his dad. I would personally deliver Mochi to Kyuhyun but he’s been kind of avoiding me now. You don’t even have to care for him, just send him to Kyuhyun. I’m pretty sure he’ll be thrilled to bond with his son again.”

“K-Kyu… has a son??”

Sungmin’s eyebrows were all furrowed together as he tried his best to comprehend everything that was swirling in his head for now. The fact that this cute, bubbly, chubby-cheeked kid was Kyuhyun’s son still hadn’t settled in, however. “Since when did he have a son?” he mumbled to himself, bewildered. “Wait, if Kyuhyun is the father, then who is the mother? Why can’t she take care of him instead?”

Grimacing a little, Siwon spoke in a lower voice so the little kid couldn’t hear. “His mama passed away from cancer last year. She only found out she was pregnant after Kyuhyun broke up with her, and Kyuhyun doesn’t even know about it. She kept the baby although she barely had enough to fend for herself, working double or triple shifts and coming home late at night just to make ends meet. I’ve told her many times to just contact Kyuhyun to take responsibility but she refused. She finally collapsed at work and Mochi has been in my care ever since. I’ve spent a long time trying to track down Kyuhyun and when I finally confronted him, he didn’t even want to see me. So you see, you’re my next best solution, Sungmin-sshi. I know all this is a surprise for you but it’s the truth,” he said. Of course the last part may or may not be true, but Siwon wasn’t about to tell Sungmin that.

Sungmin had been listening with his mouth agape the entire time. “I’m sorry to hear that, but I seriously don’t have the time to deal with a kid.”

Siwon smiled politely and half-bowed to Sungmin. “I’m sorry for taking up your time and imposing Mochi on you but there’s nothing else I can do at the moment. I have to go now. Here’s your bag, Mochi. I’ll be going now. Bye!!”

“Bye bye Wonnie hyung!!”

With that, Siwon turned around and walked off before the stunned supermodel could say anything. He sighed in exasperation and peeked at the boy through the three-inch crack of his door, who was still standing where Siwon left him and looking up at him with big eyes. Sungmin couldn’t help cooing at the adorable thing hugging his toy and undid the door, pushing it open a little wider to kneel down before the boy. Sungmin actually did like kids a lot, and he already found himself very attracted to this ‘Mochi’, or however Siwon called him.

“Hey there, little cutie. What’s your name?” Sungmin asked, bringing the boy closer in a small hug.

“Mochi!!” he answered cheerfully, clinging tightly onto Sungmin’s neck because his short arms weren’t enough to go around his body. The strawberry blonde gently picked him up and brought him into his apartment, closing the door behind him before securing the lock. He stifled a laugh when he heard the affectionate pet name roll off his lips.

“No, really. Your real name. You’re not really called Mochi, are you?” the model asked, placing the boy on the couch.

“My real name…” He scratched his head and pouted as he thought for a while, and Sungmin could barely resist the urge to squish his chubby cheeks. “Henry!!”

Sungmin smiled and petted him on the head. “So, your real name is Henry?”

Henry nodded enthusiastically. “But I don’t like Henry. Mama and Wonnie hyung both call me Mochi. I like Mochi.”

“Alright then, you just want me to call you Mochi?” the elder smiled again as he handed the little boy a pumpkin cookie, which he accepted eagerly. “You can call me Minnie hyung then. How old are you, Mochi?”

“Seven!!” came the happy reply, along with a mouthful of crumbs that spurted out in all directions. “Oops, sorry Minnie hyung.”

“It’s alright, don’t bother about it. Wow, you’re seven this year already?”

The kid nodded again, reaching out for another cookie and Sungmin pushed the plate closer to him. His gaze landed on the tiny backpack on the couch and reached for it. “What’s in here? Can I see?”

With a nod of approval from Henry, who was still busy stuffing his face with the cookies, Sungmin dragged open the zipper to reveal a few sets of clothing and another plush toy. He took the clothes out and laid them neatly on the couch, going through the outfits before he found an old photo tucked in the midst of his folded pyjamas. Sungmin stared at the photo for some time, recognizing a younger Kyuhyun in the picture but not the girl in his arms.

“Who’s that?” the model asked, pointing out the girl to Henry. Instantly the bright eyes dimmed a little and the little kid almost looked as if he was about to cry.

“That’s mama,” he replied softly, swallowing the last of his cookie. “Mama not around anymore.”

Sungmin drew the boy into a hug because obviously the photo brought back slightly unpleasant memories for him as a small sob escaped his tiny lips. “And is the other one your papa?” he asked, trying to shift Henry’s attention.

“Mm I dunno, Wonnie hyung said he’s my papa but I’ve never seen him before. Why didn’t papa wanna see me? Doesn’t he love me? Minnie hyung knows papa?” Henry asked, eyes hopeful, b with tears. “I wanna see papa but I’m afraid papa doesn’t love me and doesn’t wanna see me,” the little boy sobbed in Sungmin’s arms. “Minnie hyung knows papa? Does papa love me?”

Contemplating for a while, Sungmin gave the boy a reassuring smile. “I’ve known your papa for quite long, and he’s a really great person. I’m sure he’ll fall in love with you after seeing you, Mochi.”

Henry squeal

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter