I am Captain of the Jundong ship and I love it

Some Nights
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Holy guys. I wrote so much. I couldn't stop. Like this is my new baby. this one chapter. it is my ing baby. hope you guys enjoy like 14 pages of cheesy, (ty), fluffy jundong. 

 

 

1 year, 3 months

They move into the modest two-story house on a sunny Thursday afternoon. Hanbin wears a proud grin as the movers carry furniture in their home. He loves saying their home. He looks back at the car to see Jinhwan unbuckle a sleeping bundle from the car seat. The tiny figure rubs his eyes, whining quietly and pouting, but never crying, as he looks at his surroundings.

“Donghyuk!” Hanbin immediately rushes over, gathering the baby boy into his arms, cooing excitedly at the little form. “Welcome home!” He announces proudly leaning over to press a chaste kiss on his husband’s lips. “What do you think?”

“It’s lovely, Hanbin.” Jinhwan smiles back, reaching to poke their son’s puffy cheeks before moving to grab the diaper bag from the car.

 

They head into the house together; Donghyuk held close to Hanbin’s hip as Jinhwan holds his husband’s other hand. They can’t help but smile goofily at the cream bare walls and the numerous boxes. There’s not much but it’s home.

“Donghyuk, how about we see your room?” Jinhwan reaches with arms outstretched to take the baby upstairs. They quietly climb the stairs, Hanbin’s voice echoing as he directs the movers around the empty space. They reach a white door, right next to the master bedroom; opening it wide to reveal the pale blue walls and the white clouds Hanbin spent a weekend painting on the ceilings. “This is your room, Donghyuk. Isn’t it lovely? Daddy spent all weekend painting it for you.” He coos quietly, grinning as he tours the small child around the room. He shows Donghyuk the wide window with the clear view of their backyard, the open closet, and the painted crib in the corner before going back downstairs to check on his husband.

Hanbin was rearranging furniture, unpacking boxes to make the living room homier. “Take a break, Hanbin. We have all week to unpack.”

Said male looked up from the cardboard box, a gentle smile gracing his features as he took in the picture of his family waiting for him. “I know, but I’m just so excited! Our first house!”

“I know. I’m excited too, but don’t overwork yourself.”

 

After the movers have brought all the furniture inside the house, it’s close to dinnertime. They sit on the leather sofa, staring blankly at the wrapped boxes cluttering the living space.

“It’s going to take forever to unpack everything.”

“Yeah. We’re going to have to spend all weekend.” They both huff out long sighs before looking at their son between them, tossing his teddy bear around. “We should grab dinner before putting Donghyuk down.”

They move to get off the couch when someone knocks on their front door. They glance at each other before Hanbin moves to answer it, Jinhwan shifting to lift Donghyuk up into his arms.

“Hello!” A chirpy voice interrupts the quiet. “Hi, I’m your neighbor, Yunhyung. I live right across the street.” The figure points toward a pale blue two-story house. “I saw you guys moving in and figured you probably wouldn’t have dinner ready.” He holds up a packed bag. “So I brought some food!”

“Oh my, thank you!” Jinhwan exclaims, moving closer to the door to properly greet their neighbor.

“Thanks.” Hanbin smiles sheepishly. “I’m Hanbin, and this is my husband, Jinhwan. And this little bundle of joy is our son, Donghyuk.”

“Hi, nice to meet you.” Yunhyung reaches forward to shake Hanbin’s hand. “How old is Donghyuk?” He grins at the little boy, hidden away in his father’s embrace but peeking out of curiosity.

“He’s a year and two months old.” Hanbin announces proudly.

“Sorry, he’s a bit shy.”

“No worries. He’s actually just two months older than my son.” Yunhyung steps aside to reveal a stroller. “This is Junhwe.” The parents move to look into the stroller, smiling softly at the sleeping figure.

“Oh! Where are our manners? Come in! Come in! Sorry, it’s such a mess, we’re still unpacking.” Jinhwan ushers father and son inside, passing their son off into Hanbin’s arms to help grab the bags Yunhyung brought as the latter brings the stroller inside.

 

They spend hours getting to know one another.

They learn that Yunhyung is a single parent after his wife left their family for another man. He had inherited the house from his grandmother and he works at his parents’ restaurant while his sister watches over Junhwe. He is currently taking night classes to earn his degree in business and hopefully run his parents’ business alongside with them.

He learns that the couple met in college, both music majors, and married shortly after graduation. Hanbin is a composer working for a large entertainment company and Jinhwan worked as a music teacher but was taking time off to care for their son. Donghyuk had entered their lives a year and a half into their marriage and is the light of their life. They dote dearly on him and Jinhwan offers to care for Junhwe whenever Yunhyung needs it.

They get along well and as the night comes to an end, silence washing over them comfortably, they watch as their sons sleep side by side on the living room rug, snuggled under thick blankets.

 

 

4 years

Donghyuk runs around on short legs, kicking up grass as he chases after a butterfly.

“Not too fast, Donghyuk.” Jinhwan calls out in a calm voice, bringing out a pitcher of lemonade into the backyard as his husband flips burgers on the grill. He presses a swift kiss on his cheek before moving to arrange the picnic table with different condiments.

“Hello Kim family!” A voice calls out loudly, entering through the fenced door.

“Hey Yunhyung!” Hanbin waves, spatula in hand.

“Hi. And hello Junhwe.” Jinhwan bends down to wave at the young boy.

“Hi Mr. Jinhwan.” The young boy bows deeply. “Is Donghyuk here?”

“He’s in his playhouse, I think.” He points Junhwe towards the wooden constructed miniature house in the back.

“Don’t do anything funny!” Hanbin calls out as the young boy runs toward the house, scowl present on his features.

“Don’t say that!” Jinhwan chastises his husband, sheepishly grinning at their neighbor.

“What? He tried to kiss Donghyuk last time!” He grumbles, taking a sip of the lemonade, before finally moving the patties onto toasted buns and passing them to Yunhyung.

“We could be in-laws one day.” Yunhyung teases.

“Over my dead body! No one is good enough for Donghyuk.”

“Ignore him.” Jinhwan pushes the salad bowl around, encouraging them to pile it on their plate.

“Don’t ignore me!”

 

As the parents laugh and share loud talk around the oak picnic table, two young boys hide in the safety of the wooden house.

“Papa makes Daddy breakfast everyday before work.” Donghyuk mimes cooking on the painted kitchen as Junhwe sits at the small table.

“But it’s not breakfast time.” Donghyuk immediately pouts at the other’s words. “But I like breakfast.” He tries to reassure him, smiling when the former lights up.

“Good! Because husbands make breakfast.” Donghyuk moves the plastic toys onto the table, smiling at the fake pieces of bacon and eggs served.

“You’re a good cook, Donghyuk.” Junhwe pretends to eat the feast laid out, smiling wider when Donghyuk blushes at the comment.

“Thanks Junhwe.” He then leans down to press a kiss on the other’s cheek.

“What are you doing?” A voice loudly exclaims, jumping the two children apart. They turn to see Hanbin peeking through the playhouse’s window. “Donghyuk! My own son! Betraying me!”

“Daddy…” Donghyuk whines, exiting the playhouse and running into his arms. “I’m sorry daddy.” He looks down at the ground guiltily.

Hanbin can feel himself melt at those innocent eyes. “It’s okay, Donghyuk. I’m sure it’s Junhwe’s bad influence.”

“Hey!” Yunhyung’s voice echoes through the yard.

 

 

5 years

They enter kindergarten together, hands clasped tightly. The teacher coos at them before instructing them to put their backpacks in their respective cubby.

Yunhyung and Jinhwan take tons of photos, talking about memories and all the exciting things they’re going to do in school. Hanbin just watches with a frown.

“Can’t we send him to school next year? He’s still pretty young.”

“No, Hanbin. He’s perfectly old enough to go to school.” Jinhwan pinches his husband. “Smile. It’s Donghyuk’s first day of school!”

“Exactly! A day of mourning!” The other two adults shake their heads at the hopeless father, turning back to snap more photos. They can’t help but fuss over Junhwe and Donghyuk as they take seats next to each other, excitedly talking about how adorable the two are with their matching light up shoes and clasped hands.

 

“Do you think kindergarten will be scary?” Junhwe whispers; he’s always been the quieter of the two.

“No. Papa says we’ll make lots of friends!”

“I don’t want any more friends. I just want you.” Junhwe grumbles, grabbing a fat blue crayon and coloring the sky on his paper.

Donghyuk doesn’t hear him, reaching for a green crayon to draw a big tree.

“Hi!” A voice on Donghyuk’s left interrupts them; he turns to meet crescent eyes and a toothy smile.

He grins back, “Hi! I’m Donghyuk! And this is my best friend Junhwe.”

“Hi!” The figure waves at Junhwe who chicly ignores him. “I’m Jiwon but everyone calls me Bobby.”

“That’s a cool name!” Donghyuk grins. “Do you want to use my crayons? Papa always says to share.” He passes out his box.

“Thanks! You can use my markers. Mine are scented!”

“That’s nice. Isn’t that nice, Junhwe?” The other boy just grunts, pressing hard on the crayon.

 

They spend their first day going over the rules and coloring their favorite photos to take home to their parents.

When the clock hits 3pm, the little kids rush out the front entrance into their parents’ embrace.

Hanbin had taken the day off work to pick up his son with Jinhwan; together they wait patiently at the steps, grinning widely when Donghyuk launches at them, backpack full of drawings.

Yunhyung is beside them, arms wide as Junhwe rushes into their reunion hug.

“How was school champ?” Yunhyung ruffles his son’s dark locks. He just shrugs; turning to show him the picture he drew of their house.

A few feet away, Bobby loudly chatters about his school day.

“Oh, papa, daddy, I made a new friend!” Donghyuk moves to be put down before grabbing his parents’ hands and dragging them to where Bobby stands with his parents. “This is Bobby! He has nice smelling markers!”

“Hi Donghyuk!” Bobby smiles widely at the other boy. “This is my mom and dad. This is my new friend, Donghyuk. He’s really nice and has a pretty smile.” The young boy proudly announces, commanding his parents’ attention.

His parents laugh at their son’s antics. “That’s nice, Jiwon.” They look at Jinhwan and Hanbin, extending hands to shake. “Hello. We’re his parents. I’m Hongseok and this is my wife, Hi.”

“And this is our son, Jiwon but he likes to be called Bobby.” Hi rakes her fingers through her son’s hair, smiling softly at him.

“Hello, I’m Jinhwan and this is my husband, Hanbin, and our son, Donghyuk.”

Hanbin is silent, glaring at the little boy flirting with his son. “First, Junhwe, now this.” He mutters unhappily.

 

 

9 years

“Papa! I’m going over to Junhwe’s to play!” Donghyuk bends down to tie his sneakers.

“Okay! Be home in time for dinner!”

He runs across the street, looking both ways, before pounding loudly on the door. “Junhwe! Let’s play outside!”

The front door creaks heavily to reveal the other male, scowl in place. “Why aren’t you with Bobby?” He sneers.

“Bobby is busy today. Come on, let’s play on the tire swing!” Donghyuk is already making his way into the backyard, headed towards the tire swing hanging off the big oak tree.

“I don’t want to play today.”

“Why not?” He swings wildly on the tire swing, gripping the rope tightly.

Junhwe doesn’t answer, just kicks at the dirt.

“Come on, Junhwe play with me!”

“No. Go play with Bobby.”

“Why would I play with Bobby? You’re my best friend.”

Junhwe freezes, smile forming on his face. “Really?”

“Of course. You’re always going to be my best friend.”

Junhwe grins and then moves to start pushing Donghyuk on the swing.

 

“Where’s Donghyuk?” Hanbin walks through the kitchen, sharing a brief kiss with his husband, glancing down at the pot on the stove.

“Oh, he went over to Junhwe’s.”

“What? Again?” Hanbin groans.

“Yeah. They’re best friends. It makes sense that they would hang out together.”

“I refuse to accept Junhwe as a son-in-law.”

“I feel it’s a bit too soon for that.”

“I forbid Donghyuk to marry Junhwe! Or Bobby, for that matter!”

 

 

13 years

Middle school is a mess of hormones and puberty.

Donghyuk doesn’t really grow much taller and remains stick skinny throughout. However, he excels in schools and joins different academic after-school programs, which Hanbin boasts about at company parties and dinners with friends.

Junhwe, on the other hand, does grow tall. He towers over his best friend and grows a bit bigger too. He does all right in school, nothing like Donghyuk, but he is placed in a few gifted classes. He joins the school’s basketball team after his last growth spurt and plays center.

They spend every lunch together and Donghyuk waits for Junhwe to finish practice so they can walk home.

Junhwe usually receives confessions from middle school girls drenched in perfume. He coldly ignores each one, wrapping an around his best friend’s shoulders instead.

 

“Why is he here?”

“Junhwe, don’t be mean! Bobby is coming over for dinner tonight.” Donghyuk reprimands, tugging his backpack on, turning towards the latter with a gentle smile. “His parents are out for the night so they asked us to take care of him.”

Still, Junhwe makes a face; scowl deepening when Bobby teasingly sticks his tongue out.

“Let’s go!”

“Can I come over for dinner?”

“I don’t know. Ask your dad.”

Junhwe huffs but trails after the two nonetheless.

 

Yunhyung allows Junhwe to stay for dinner, mentioning he needs to stop by the office to finish up some other work. Jinhwan welcomes the young teenager with open arms, setting another place at the dining table. Donghyuk is finishing up his paper on the life cycle of otters for his advanced biology class while Bobby is discussing lyrics with Hanbin.

“You know you’d make a pretty good rapper.” Bobby grins at the compliment. “I mean with the right teacher to guide you that is.”

“Would you teach me, Mr. Kim?”

“I don’t know… I’m so busy—“

“You took a two hour nap yesterday.” Donghyuk doesn’t even look up from his textbook.

“Donghyuk! I was taking a nap because I needed to rejuvenate my creative process.” His father tries to explain.

“Sure…”

“Dinner is ready!” Jinhwan interrupts before his husband can quip back.

They gather around the dining room table, thanking Jinhwan for cooking before digging into the food.

“So how’s school?”

“Fun! We’re learning about Charlemagne in world history.” Donghyuk answers, animatedly discussing the monarch’s rule.

“Only you would find that fun.” Junhwe teases.

“It is fun!” He argues back, fighting the grin on his face.

 “Alright, enough. I d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter