CH06 Uncover

Fired Up
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER SIX; UNCOVER

 

Jieun had received a call from Rina’s headmaster. She wasn’t told what it was about on the phone, but it sounded important. As soon as she had arrived, she was escorted by the lovely young receptionist straight to the headmaster’s office.

"Miss Song Jieun, come in." said the headmaster before the receptionist closed the door behind her. "Please, take a seat." The woman, who looked like in her late forties gestured her hand to the chair across her desk.

"You must be wondering why I called you here." She began, as she too sunk back in her leather chair. "You should know that Rina has been crying this morning."

"What happened?" Jieun cued in, suddenly very concerned. As far as she could remember, her daughter was fine and healthy this morning.

The headmaster leaned herself forward as she smoothly rested her arms on the desk, clasping her hands together in process. "They were talking about family in the class this morning, and a boy had asked her about her father.”

Jieun’s heart instantly dropped on the floor.

"At first, she did try to defend herself by telling the boy that her father was away…and that he will come back to her soon. But the other kids started question her again and again and she started to cry."

“And your teachers did nothing?”

“For your information Miss Song, all the teachers love Rina. She’s a lovely girl—but you have to understand, the others are kids too. And kids get curious all the time.”

Jieun’s mouth felt dried as her head had nothing but an image of Rina's face. All Jieun wanted to do at that very moment was to hug her little girl.

"I didn't mean to interfere with your personal life, but Rina is now one of our students and in order for her to enjoy being here, her happiness meant for us." The older woman went on. “Have you had ever contacted her father?”

"Rina's father left me before I found out that I was pregnant. And I had never told him about Rina." Jieun explained.

She had always been so caught up with work and planning on her revenge against Kris, she had forgotten to take care of Rina’s feelings. She had been known as a single mother for the past almost five years. She had only been defending herself whenever people asked her about Rina’s father. She thought everything would go well. Until now.

"Miss Song, if you and Rina's father are still in touch, I'd advise you to let them know about each other. It’s for your daughter’s sake. Besides, she’s still in her early age. It’s best you do it now rather than later."

Jieun nodded her head weakly. “I will try my best. Thank you, headmaster.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later that evening, Jieun brought Rina to the park. She had placed her daughter on the swing, making Rina laughed in glee as she pushed her higher. Her little one’s laughter had immediately mended her broken heart. You’ll be ok, Rina. She thought to herself.

“Are you having fun?” Jieun asked, standing in front of her daughter as soon as the swing stopped.

“Ung!” She nodded her head cheerfully. “Can I go on the slide now, mama?" Her eyes twinkled as she jumped off the swing.

"Ok, but be careful!" Jieun called out as she watched the five year old girl skipping towards the slide.

She sat on the bench, watching her from afar while her head couldn't stop replaying the conversations that she had with the headmaster earlier.

"So, you're babysitting in daytime?"

A voice, such a familiar deep voice had suddenly interrupted her thoughts. She looked up to her left side and found Kris looking at Rina.

“Didn’t I tell you to stop following me?” She got up and stood in front of him, as if her petite figure could distract his eyes from seeing Rina. "And you're lucky you can still walk." Jieun added harshly, looking at him up and down.

Kris took a seat on the bench.

Damn it, Kris. Go away. Not now. You can’t see her now. I’m not ready. All sort of thoughts were maniacally running inside her head.

"I understand that you're mad at me. You have every right to." Kris began. "But I just wanted you to know that I'm sorry."

Kris' voice slowly faded as soon as Jieun's eyes caught the sight of Rina, who was now running towards her. Towards them. Oh God, please don't say the word mama. Please—

"Mama!"

Great. Jieun smiled at her daughter. “Shall we go home now?” She stooped low to meet Rina’s eyes. “We may get ice cream on our way back.” She spoke in a hush tone so only the two of them could hear.

Rina beamed, nodding her head. “But can we come back again tomorrow? Pweaseee mama. I want to go on that one.” One of Rina’s hands was tugging on Jieun’s, while another was pointing at the seesaw.

Jieun nodded her head. “Ok.” She said. She could feel Kris’ eyes were on both of them the whole time.

"Mama?" asked Kris, now standing closer to Rina.

Jieun subtly swallowed through her dry throat, adjusting her voice. "It's—her nickname for me." She lied. She was glad that Rina had been fonder on calling her ‘mama’ rather than ‘umma’—in which most of the children in South Korea would call their mother by.

"Ah." Kris retorted before crouching down, levelling himself with the little girl. "Annyeong." He smiled at Rina. "What's your name, little cutie?"

"Song Rina!" She sang out her full name, her eyes glistened, smiling at the stranger she had just met. Jieun had indeed registered Song, which was her family’s name, as Rina’s last name. She didn’t think it would matter. Only now she knew how much trouble she was in.

"Song?" Kris was now looking at her in wonder.

"We really have to go." Jieun sternly cut him off, dragging Rina alongside her. She wasn’t ready to break the news to them. She just wasn’t.

It’s for your daughter’s sake. The headmaster’s voice came back into her mind.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


D.O picked up his phone as soon as

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter