THE REAL WENDY

IN THE DARKNESS
Please log in to read the full chapter

20 November. It was Hyunsoo’s birthday. We had a plan for him that day. We already prepared a surprised birthday party to him. Well, he was really upset since we ignored him all day. I still tried to act naturally to him.

“Do you know what date is it?” asked him while sat beside me in library.

I stopped reading my book and looked at him. “Of course. November 20th.” I continued reading my book. “Did you already submit the paper to Mr. Kim?” I flipped the page and read the next paragraph, tried to completely ignore him.

He sighed. “Yeah, I did. Thanks for reminding me.”

I secretly smiled. He sighed. It meant he was really upset now. “You’re welcome.” I answered shortly. “Ah! I almost forget something!” I said while looks at him.

I could see tiny sparks in his eyes. “Yes?” He smiled at me.

“We’ll have a quiz in Mrs. Park’s class. It’s November 22nd. Don’t forget to study.” I smiled when I saw his wide smile turned into a small pout.

“You really… aish! I thought you’re my friend…” He muttered.

“Only friend?” I raised my eyebrow. “I thought we are more than just friend.” I glared.

“Ah! I meant, umm…, of course we’re best friends.” He added quickly.

I smiled a little. “Good.” I glanced to my watch and then to my phone. It’s almost the time. Why I don’t receive any message yet? I sighed.

“What’s wrong?” asked him.

I shook my head and smiled. “Nothing. They just so late. I already waiting for 15 minutes here.”

He glanced to his watch. “Yeah. Very late. They usually come on time but why now…?”

Suddenly my phone was buzzing, signaling there was a new text message. I smiled secretly while read it. I sighed. “They canceled it.” I turned my phone to him so he could read the text.

“What!?” asked him, almost yelled. “Why they didn’t tell earlier? Aish! I still didn’t study for the quiz yet! Hey, Yi! You’re good in it. Let’s study together!”

“No.” I replied shortly while gathering all my stuffs and stood up.

“But…!” He stood up and followed me.

“I am busy, Hyun. A lot things to do.”

“Yi, please?”

“Still no.”

“Yah!”

“Meh!”

As expected, he ate the bait. He followed me with knowing nothing.

“Yi! Wait!” shouted him.

“No.” I stopped walking and turned into him. “I’ve no time for your business, Hyun. Sorry but I can’t.” I walked faster again.

“But… YAH!” I heard he ran after me.

I walked faster. I reached that empty class and got in while yelling. “Stop following me!" I slammed the door loudly and saw a dim light from a single candle in the corner.

“Here, Unnie…”, hissed Jinri while grabbed my hand.

“He’ll be here in few seconds, guys.” I smirked in the darkness.

“YAH! LIU YIYUN!” He shouted my name in angry tone while barging in.

The lamp was . “HAPPY BIRTHDAY!” We shouted and made him speechless. We laughed with his priceless expression. He scanned the room and directly looked at me.

“YOU!” said him while pointed his finger to me.

I laughed. “Love your surprise, birthday boy?” He came to me and suddenly headlocked me. “Yah! Yah!” I tried to escape from his arm.

“Hyun, don’t kill her here”, shouted Jonghoon.

“Yeah! We still need her for our group project!” said Sunyoung while giggled.

“Let me go!” I pushed him hard.

“I won’t!” yelled him.

He was about to reach my head again when Youngjae and Jonghoon dragged him away.

“Don’t forget your cake, dude!” said Youngjae.

I mouthed thank you to them.

Soojung came to Hyunsoo while brought his birthday cake. She smiled at him. “Happy birthday, Oppa.”

“Make a wish! Make a wish!” chanted everyone in that room, except me.

Hyunsoo smiled and closed his eyes. “I wish you would be my girlfriend, Soojung”, said him before blew the candles.

Those words stabbed my heart. It was so hurt but I should endure it. I unconsciously bite my lower lip. Suddenly everything became blurry and all loud cheerful voices became mute.

“I will”, said Soojung while smiled at him.

A tear was rolling on my cheek while I fixed my glasses. I walked away from that room without say any word. I was hurt, very hurt, like I received thousand stabs on my chest. I sighed. I tried to breathing but I felt like I couldn’t. I kept my head up but it couldn’t stop my tears which kept rolling on my cheeks.

That night, I hugged myself and cried all night. Even my favorite comedy movie failed to make me laugh. I glanced at my clock. It was almost midnight but he didn’t call me. Maybe he was busy with Soojung. He was too busy with her so he didn’t realize that I was gone. He even didn’t bother to call me to ask why I went home without saying a word to him or to ask why I didn’t say happy birthday to him.

I really meant nothing for him. When he was alone, did I ever cross in his mind? Cause for me it happened all times. I love you. That was all words I wanted to tell him in his birthday but I couldn’t make it. I cried in silent while I heard my alarm ringing. It was already 12.05 AM.

21 November. I looked so awful, especially my eyes. They were red and had faint dark circle around them. I couldn’t sleep last night. It was still hurt. I could feel the pain inside my chest. Good thing I wore glasses and cap. They helped me to hide it even though just for a moment. I fixed my backpack and hugged my textbook tightly while walked into class. Once I opened the door, the first thing that caught in my eyes was the newly love birds sat in the corner and did lovey-dovey. What a day. I kept down my head while walked into my favorite spot in that class, a seat near window. I put

Please log in to read the full chapter