How they met PART1

YOU AND ME

 

I'm kinda busy lately so it took so long for me to update :(
Anyway here you go

NOTE: Those italicize words are their thoughts.

 

FLASHBACK

 

Taeyeon was inside her car, waiting for her father’s message to confirm whether she can stay in her hotel in New York or she have to leave the town. Although, she moved  in Korea for more than a year now, she still promised her parents to help them out in their business once in a while even if all she can  do is to represent them.  Her father open a new branch in New York and she was on her break, so it’s a perfect time to relax and help her parents out as well.

She glanced at the other side of the road and the girl that she saw when she stops her car was still there. It was past eleven in the evening and they’re not exactly in the main road, so only few cars and people passes by.  She knew the girl was waiting for someone because she keeps looking at her watch from time to time. That’s when she notice the bare hands and raised her eyebrows.  How can she leave the house without wearing gloves?   She realize that the girl was a Korean when the girl lower her scarf to blow her hands to make them warm.

Taeyeon look at her own gloves and then back to the other girl who keeps rubbing her hand and blowing it.  She’s about to go home anyway and if ever not, she could buy something on the way.  She took off her own gloves and shiver when her hand feels cold; she was inside the car how much more that girl outside.  She unbuckled her seatbelt, got out of the car and slowly approached the oblivious girl. Taeyeon was thinking the right word to say while walking towards her, but she was stunned for a second when she saw the face up close. She’s pretty. And then their eyes met.

 

------------------------

Tiffany is waiting for her brother to pick her up and she’s running out of patience. It was already late at night and her fingers started to feel numb since she forgot to wear her gloves. She could’ve just ride a taxi but her brother insisted to pick her up since his on the way already.  She was busy warming up her hands when she met a pair of eyes looking at her. Tiffany raised her eyebrows at the girl whose face was half buried in the scarf, staring at her dumbfoundedly.  Does she recognize who am I, she looks like a  Korean student so that’s possible. The girl seem snap out of her daze and suddenly bow and greet her, but only muffled sound comes out because of the scarf the covering her entire mouth. The girl realized it and fix her scarf, and smiled sheepishly.

“Annyeong, your Korean right?” Taeyeon  asked  awkwardly at the girl whose now looking at her as if she is from out of the world.

“Do you understand Korean or you prefer English?” she asked in English.

“What do you want” Tiffany asked back in their native language.

“I was watching you-“

“Your watching me!”

“Yeah,No, I mean” Taeyeon paused and sighed, she feel  stupid and she might as well end it now.

She lift the gloves and handed it to the girl, when she didn’t see any reaction, she take her hand and they both flinched because of the cold but still, she let her hold it and let go.

“Your hands were really cold, they will warm you up.” She smiled a bit.

Tiffany was lost for word. She just keep looking back at the gloves and the girl.

“Don’t worry my hands were clean. I hope they’ll fit yours ” she bid goodbye and walked back to her car.

Tiffany startled when her phone vibrate making her attention lost from the girl’s back view. She carefully wear the gloves and sighed with the warmth that it provides to her cold hands.

“Hello oppa, where are you? ….. WHAT?!”

 

-----------------------------

Taeyeon get inside her car and take a peek at the other girl whose now talking to someone over the phone.  She smiled widely once she saw the gloves that she’s wearing.  She check her phone showing one message and instantly read it. Finally i can go home back to my hotel. She immediately start the engine and drive. She slowly made a U-turn at the intersection and notice two black guys which looks more like a thugs, whispering at each other turning their head at the other side. She look at where they’re looking and only saw the Korean girl whose now hailing for a cab.

Look’s like theirs a change of plan. It would be hard to find a taxi at this time and this area. She look around and theirs only few people walking on the street and when she says few, she could only count it in a single hand. Taeyeon take a deep breath and stop her car in front of the girl.

 

------------------------------

Tiffany received a call from her brother telling her that his car broke down and thus, he couldn’t pick her up, she was now looking for a cab when a car stop right in front of her.  She furrowed her eyebrows when the passenger car window roll down revealing the girl earlier.

“Do you need a ride?”

Tiffany frowned and looked at the girl skeptically.

“It’s okay. I can manage” she answered.

Tiffany began to feel wary when the girl step out of her car and Taeyeon notice that.

“You don’t have to be afraid I mean no harm.” Taeyeon scratch the back of her neck “you see, there’s this two guys at the block and they seem like they’re up for no good. There’s only few people and cars passing by so” Taeyeon paused. Why is she so persistent to help this stranger anyway, oh yeah, her conscience!

Tiffany looked around and the girl is telling the truth, she even took a glimpse at the two guys and caught them looking at them. She suddenly felt nervous more and observed the girl in front of her.  She looks very innocent though and she’s smaller than me so if she started to act weird, she can handle her.

“I won’t lock my car if you want” Taeyeon suggested.

Tiffany checked her watch and look at the girl again.

“Alright” she get inside the  passenger door .

Taeyeon went back to the driver seat and start the engine.

“So where to?”

Tiffany mention the address.

“If it’s out of your way, just drop me at the subway station ”

Taeyeon shook her head.

“That’s on my way home” said Taeyeon.

Taeyeon felt the girl was staring at her so she stole a glance and her heart skip a beat when their eyes met, she immediately look back at the road.

Tiffany suppressed to chuckled at the reaction and keep her poker face.

“So is it normal for you to let strangers hitch in your car, you know that’s very dangerous” she asked in a serious tone.

“Not really and I have a hidden gun under my-“

“WHAT?!”

Taeyeon swerved a little at the loud voice.

“Im just kidding miss” she quickly said.

“It’s not funny”  Tiffany scoff and turn her head at the passenger window.

Taeyeon mentally face-palmed herself, she’s really bad at making jokes.

“I am Taeyeon by the way” she said after a minute of silence “and you are…..

“Stephanie” the girl answered still facing the window.

“You have an English name, do you live here in New York?”

“No”

“So your just having vacation, me too actually”

Taeyeon sensed that the girl is not fond for a small talk so she decided to stay quiet. The rest of the drive was spent in silence and Tiffany somehow feel guilty with the kind of attitude that she’s showing to Taeyeon especially when she glimpse at the bare hands that holding the steering wheel.

“My oppa is the one who lives here with his family and he was supposed to pick me up tonight”

“What happened?”

“His car broke down unfortunately”

“oh, Is he okay though?”

Tiffany turn her head at the sincerity of the question, she still couldn’t believe that  there are some people who could be really nice to a stranger, this encounter was too good to be true for her so she still didn’t let her guard down.

Taeyeon can see on her peripheral version that she was being observed again.

“I don’t mean to pry?” she said without looking away at the road, and she didn’t know she was holding her breath when Stephanie look away.

“His fine” said Tiffany.

Taeyeon stayed quiet for the rest of the drive and it was too akward for her liking but she doesn’t want to make the girl more uncomfortable.  Tiffany budged once she saw the apartment building looming in the distance.

“You can just drop me off in front of the building,” said Tiffany when she received a call. She took the device out of her pocket and answered.

“Hello, Oppa. I’m already here, where are you? Huh” she looked back and saw her brother stepping out of a cab “I saw you”, she moved her phone away when the car stop and look at Taeyeon “ thanks for the ride” she said in haste and immediately get off the car.

“Your wel-“ the car door just close “-come”. She sighed and take one last look to the girl and drove away.

 

--------------------

“Who was that?” asked her brother when she approached him.

“That was” she looked back and paused seeing the car’s driving away, she remember her behavior earlier and the sense of guilt comes back.

“It was a nice stranger who help me”

“Stranger?! You don’t know that person and you hitch on that car. That’s very dangerous Stephanie Hwang”

“But Im safe, you see plus she is a girl who looks like a student. And she’s a Korean too” Tiffany calmed his brother “ Can we just get inside, it’s really cold”

“But just don’t do it again” they started walking and Tiffany remember the gloves and silently groaned. Yep, she was just being nice and all she did was to give her an attitude, That so judgmental of you Tiffany, she said scolding herself.

 

 

===

Taeyeon was now walking on the lobby of the hotel that she was staying while talking to his father over the phone.

“Dad, it’s not a burden and I have all the time to relax………. Yes, I will, please say mom I miss her too” Taeyeon walked quickly at the elevator “bye dad”  she used her arm as a wedge at the almost fully closed door.

“I’m sorry about tha-“ Taeyeon was stunned when she finally look at the only girl inside the elevator whose confusingly looking back  at her.

“Stephanie-sshi”  Taeyeon didn’t know if she was stunned because she saw her again or because the girl is 10x more prettier when the last time she saw her.  Without the scarf and with the lights on, she can clearly see every features  of her face add that straight long black hair.

I’m sorry, do I know you?” Tiffany was puzzled when the girl just called out her name.

Taeyeon frown at the question. Am I that unforgettable?

“It’s me Taeyeon, the one who gave you a ride the other night“

“Your that college kid” Tiffany exclaimed in astonishment. 

She looked at her from head to toe. Taeyeon is wearing a coat with a white button up shirt inside it and skinny jeans, plus heels. Her bangs were all pinned up showing her forehead. ( Just think of her hairstyle in Genie days). She couldn’t believe that the girl at the other night and the girl whose in front of her were the same person.  Finally, Tiffany notice the frown.

“I’m sorry if I didn’t recognize you, it was just you look very professional now” Tiffany said in a cautious tone, not to sound offensive.

“That’s because I am professional and the last time I checked, I’ve finished my college four  years ago” Taeyeon beamed a smile and Stephanie  immediately notice the chin dimple.

“Just for the records, I swear I am not stalking you” Taeyeon said in a serious tone.

Stephanie laugh at that while clapping her hands. Taeyeon didn’t expect that reaction but she was much more surprised seeing those eyes disappeared.  She has eyesmile.

Thanks for clearing that out” Stephanie said after she calmed down. The elevator door opened with a “ding” stating that they reach their floor.

“Same floor, huh” Tiffany  commented when they both stepped out of the elevator.

They both stop at the doors that just right across each other.

“So it is safe to assume that you stay in this hotel, too” Taeyeon said.

Stephanie nodded.

“Well, It was nice seeing you again Stephanie-sshi” she bowed and unlocked her door but before she go inside , her name was being called

“Taeyeon-sshi” she turned back at Stephanie.

“Thank you so much for helping me out the other night, you were just being nice and all I did in return was to give you an attitude and I am really sorry for that.”

Taeyeon sense the sincerity and smiled.

“It was understandable. I would do the same thing if I were in your shoes.”

“And about your gloves, I left it in my Oppa’s house so-“

“You can keep that, I have a lot of them, actually” Taeyeon didn’t moved because it seems like Stephanie is still have something to say.

“And you can just call me Stephanie without the sshi”

“Then please do the same for me”

“Deal”

“Alright, see you around”

Tiffany smiled and they both enter their respective room.

 

 

-----

Tiffany was busy browsing new release bags and shoes of her favorite brand at her IPad when she accidentally  read an article about it.

“Since, Kim Taeyeon started endorsing this product, the management claimed that the demand were increasingly high and………”

Tiffany creased her eyebrows, she remember her neighbor Taeyeon,  she couldn’t be that, could she? Kim Taeyeon is a new actress in their generation, she is familiar with the name but not exactly with her looks. Im just curious anyway, it couldn’t be possibly her Tiffany chuckled at that thought but nevertheless, she search “Kim Taeyeon”.

 

Taeyeon was randomly switching channel while eating gummy worms, her thought were still somehow at the girl at the other side of her room. What a coincidence. She remember the crescent moon eye smile again. Am I crushing on her? She shook her head. But she’s really gorgeous though, she doesn’t have that ordinary looks, she’s like the type of person who will stand out in the crowd. Taeyeon momentarily stopped chewing and switch back the channel, the remote control fell out of her hands and her jaw dropped seeing the girl at the commercial.  SHE IS FREAKING TIFFANY HWANG.

 

On the other side of the room, Tiffany’s eyes widen in shock, looking at all the images appear with the name “Kim Taeyeon”. She couldn’t believe at the fact that SHE WAS THAT KIM TAEYEON.

 

-----

Instead for calling room service, Taeyeon decided to take her breakfast at the top of the hotel where the dining room was located. She was looking for an empty table when she saw a familiar face eating alone at the far corner of the room. She approached her quietly.

Tiffany look up from her phone when she heard someone cleared .

“Hi, can I join you?” when Taeyeon doesn’t heard any reply, she assume that the girl don’t want company  “okay, I’ll just find -” she looked around to find an empty space when the girl speak.

“It’s okay Taeyeon. Go ahead and take your sit.”

Taeyeon smiled a little and obey just what the girl say. However, since no one wants to start the conversation, both sense the awkwardness, most probably with the fact that they just find out last night. Taeyeon was racking her brain on what to say and decided to steal a glance at the girl across the table but she almost drop her spoon when Tiffany was directly staring at her.

“Why are you looking at me like that?” she asked nervously.

“Because you were just staring at your food. Aren’t you going to eat them?” she asked with an amused expression. This was the college kid that she saw on the other night.

“Oh yeah” Taeyeon dig in, she feels like she’s a high school student in front of her crush. Taeyeon groaned inwardly with that thought, why did she even join her in the first place. She lift her head up when she heard her giggled.

“I’m sorry. I just didn’t expect that the famous Kim Taeyeon would be like this”

With brows furrowed, Taeyeon gasp when her brain realized what Tiffany said.

“You know me?” she straightened up in surprise.

“Just last night though” she then tell her the story how she found out.

Taeyeon just simply nod.

“Then I guess it is safe to say that I didn’t expect to meet the famous Miss Tiffany Hwang here in New York.”

This time it was Tiffany’s turn to be surprised.

“I saw your commercial last night at the cable TV”

“Wow. Never knew my comm’ll will reach New York” she smiled widely and Taeyeon was stunned for a second when she saw the eyesmile again.

“I’m sorry if I didn’t recognized you that fast”

“There’s nothing to be sorry Taeyeon, It’s not like I expect all Korean will know me and can we skip that “celebrity status” aside. Were just an ordinary people here and I’d like to keep it that way.”

“Sure, Tiffany….is it okay if I just call you that”

“I don’t see anything wrong with it”

They continue to eat in silence.

“By the way, since your having your vacation here , why didn’t you just stayed with your brother? Taeyeon asked.

“His living together with his family so I don’t really want to interrupt them. I’m planning to stay for a month, so I don’t want to disturb them with my activities.”

Taeyeon didn’t comment and nod.

“I don’t mean to be rude and leave you but I have to go now” said Tiffany.

“Sure” they both stand up.

When Tiffany passed by, she simply bow but she felt her shoulder being push down gently  to her seat and look up, her heart stop beating for a moment  when she saw her face so close to her.

“Taeyeon, you don’t have to do that traditional bow thing, were not in Korea anyway”

Tiffany stand up straight and couldn’t help but chuckle at Taeyeon’s daze face.

“Bye Taeyeon”

Taeyeon calmed herself down and knew that she was blushing when she remember Tiffany’s face. I couldn’t be possibly attracted to her. Not good Taeyeon. She’s a celebrity just like you. Yep, complicated. And she’s straight. Very complicated.

 

----

It was already past 2:00 am when Taeyeon got back at the hotel. She was so tired with the hours of driving and all she wanted to do is  lay on her bed and sleep. She was patiently waiting for the elevator door to closed when a drunk Tiffany suddenly appear.

“What in the-“ Tiffany almost fall flat to her face if she didn’t have catch her by her shoulder.

“Taeyeon-ah” Tiffany shouted her name and she was glad they were the only people at the elevator. Although she like how Tiffany say her name but she knew the girl is not in the right state of mind and doesn’t realize how she address her.

Taeyeon felt that Tiffany is slipping at her hold so she heaved Tiffany’s arm over her shoulder and let the plastered girl lean fully on her but Tiffany tried to stand up straight and let go of her.

“Tiffany, your drank”

“I’m not” Tiffany shouted.

Taeyeon winced at the loud voice. So this is what you mean you don’t want to disturb them with your activities.

The elevator door opened when they reached their floor,  she half-dragged the girl dangling from her shoulders.
 

“I want to sleep now, I want to sleep now  ”the girl mumbled repeatedly.

Taeyeon chuckled and stop at Tiffany’s door.

“Tiffany, where’s your key card ”

“Hmmmmm” is the only answered she received. She check her bag and will just apologize later, she find it hard looking at the bag while supporting Tiffany who looks like totally passed out. Taeyeon grumbled when she couldn’t find Tiffany’s key. So she turn her attention to her, and gently shook her.

“Tiffany, where did you put your key card? Tiffany” she tap her cheek but the girl just groaned in response. Taeyeon looked around and sighed. She could go back at the reception to asked for a spare key but they were in the 27th floor and she couldn’t possibly left her here in the hallway.

 

She turned her look at her own door. Well, she’s just gonna call room service.
 

Taeyeon gently lay Tiffany at the couch and dial room service. She was in the middle of telling the reason of her call when she notice Tiffany get off from the couch and walk wobbly towards the connecting room which where her bed place.

“Tiffany, you couldn’t go-

“Ma’am is everything okay”

“Ah, yeah,” Taeyeon doesn’t want to elaborate Tiffany’s currently state and unfortunately they are not allowed to give her a spare key without the owner’s consent, so she just told them that she will let Tiffany confirm it tomorrow morning.

Taeyeon put the phone down and immediately went to her bedroom, and there is Tiffany peacefully slumbering at her own bed, Taeyeon pulled the blanket to cover her body and stared at the sleeping face for a while. I guess I’ll take the couch tonight.

 

---

Tiffany woke up with a terrible  headache.  She looked down and saw that she was still wearing her party dress. Her brain starting to reboot, remembering what happened last night, I would never drunk like that again, she stiffened when memory of Taeyeon flooded her brain. She suddenly sit up which was a bad idea, she held her head in pain.

“Hey, your awake” Tiffany look up and saw Taeyeon.

Taeyeon notice the pain in her facial expression  and she immediately walk forward and touch her head.

“Does it hurt so bad? Must be hangover! Wait for a second” Taeyeon walked back holding a glass of water and a medicine in her hand.

“Here drink this”

Tiffany take the medicine and drunk the water without any word.

“Why am I in your room?” she asked shyly, she was totally embarrassed with what happened.

“Yeah, about that. I couldn’t find your key card ” she handed her her bag “I’m sorry for looking at your stuff without your consent but I tried to find it but I couldn’t. I also asked for the help from hotel staff but they’re not allowed to give spare key since I am not actually related to you."

“I’m really really sorry for the inconvenience” Tiffany get off from the bed “I’ll go back to my room”

“Then let me call the room service so that you can get your spare key” Taeyeon said.

Tiffany watched Taeyeon dialing from the phone, she definitely owe a lot from her. She couldn’t believe that there is still some genuine people like her.

When Tiffany got the spare key, she turned her look at Taeyeon.

“Thank you for letting me stay at your room. That was so embarrassing of me, I’d probably stained that Tiffany Hwang that you know huh” Tiffany jokingly said but Taeyeon sense that the  girl somehow affected by letting that kind of behavior be shown to other people.

“Don’t worry Tiffany. Whatever happened here in New York, Stay here in New York. You can trust me on this one.”

Tiffany smiled in gratitude when she heard that.

“But I have one favor though”  Taeyeon chuckled when Tiffany smiled become warily.

“I just hope you can join me in my breakfast. I kind of cooked a lot actually,” Taeyeon scratch her neck “I can’t finish them all that’s for sure plus wasting food is not good. So.” Taeyeon paused.

“Sure but do you mind if I freshen up a bit” she gestured at her dress.

“Nope. I don’t mind. Just ring my bell when your done” she answered quickly.

Tiffany laughed. “okay then” Tiffany closed the door.

 

---

“Wow you cooked all of this”

“Yep” they both took a seat and start eating.

“You could’ve just order you know, save the hassle and effort.”

“Well, I have my own kitchen so why not used it”

“Hmmmm, this is nice. I wish I could be a good cook like this, too”

“You don’t cook?”

“How I wish, me and kitchen together means disaster”

Taeyeon laughed out loud and Tiffany couldn’t help but smiled upon hearing that ahjumma noise coming from her.

“You surely have a unique laugh”

“By the way, you could scold me for prying but I think going home that late with that state is very dangerous. Did you just take a cab?”

Tiffany nod.

“Totally dangerous”

“It was my first visit at a club when I went here so, yeah, my mistake. The headache which reminds me of the medicine that you gave me. Thank you for that. It seems like I owe you a lot”

“I’m not counting it, Tiffany. I’m just doing the right thing and also I’d like to assume that were friends now. Can I?” Taeyeon asked carefully.

“It would be nice to have a friend like you Taeyeon-ah”

They both smiled at each other.

 

Since then, they manage to see each other every single day. Either they have breakfast, lunch or dinner together. They even explore the city together , sometimes Taeyeon accompany Tiffany when she does her shopping and there’s one time that Tiffany manage to come with her when she pays a visit at his father’s office. That was the time when she told  her the reason of her stay, and the start where they somehow being open about their personal life. Like, the reason why Tiffany has an English name was because she was born in US but moved to Korea at the age of two and why is she good in speaking in English was because she studied in an International School in Korea. Taeyeon told Tiffany that her parents were living in California and she found out that Tiffany’s dad passed away when she was seven year old. They now become ease with each other’s companion.

 

 

Tiffany was just finished running on a tread mill when her phone rings.

“Good morning oppa”

“Hey, do you have any plans for today?”

“I do, actually why?” she promised Taeyeon to accompany her today.

“With Taeyeon I supposed”

“Yeah”

“If Taeyeon was a guy, I’ll  probably think that you guys are dating already. You practically spend every day with each other.”

“What in the world are you saying, Oppa. I’ve already told you about her” Tiffany said in defense and blushed hard at the teasing.

“I’m just kidding. How about dinner then, the kids misses you”

“I will inform you later”

Tiffany tried to shook the thoughts that his brother implied earlier. Impossible. Oppa is crazy.

 

-----

“Going to an amusement park is definitely not in my list when I plan my vacation here in New York”  Tiffany said at Taeyeon whose busy driving and laughing while they recall their visit at the theme park.

“Says the one who squeal like a kid  when she saw that weird unicorn” she even grimaced when she look at the pink stuff toy that Tiffany was holding.

“Yah” she flail her with the stuff toy.

“This is not weird , it’s fluffy and pink. You know how much I like pink and that was ONE TIME  ONLY  not like you who turn into a 5 year old kid the moment we enter the amusement park”

Taeyeon blushed at that thought since she was guilty of it. She likes amusement park and the fact that she was spending it together with Tiffany makes it much more livelier for her.

“That was cute though” Tiffany remarks which make both of them silence. Tiffany wanted to blame her brother for bringing that idea to her head. She stole a glance at the quiet Taeyeon but their eyes accidentally met, both look away immediately. It instantly turned the atmosphere awkward.

“Anyway, it’s my turn next time” Tiffany said cheerfully just for the sake of reducing the awkwardness.

“Turn on what?”

“I’ll be the one to decide where we are going, I bet you’ll enjoy it”

Taeyeon notice the mischievous smile and she feel like it will the other way around.

“Here we are” Taeyeon stopped the car in front of the building’s apartment of his brother.

 “Are you sure you don’t want to join us on dinner?” Tiffany unbuckled her seatbelt.

“No. It’s fine. So you’ll stay here for tonight?”

“Might be”

They ran out of things to talk. Tiffany opened the passenger door.

“I had fun though” Tiffany commented.

“Me too” Taeyeon sincerely smiled at her.

Tiffany throw caution to the wind and kissed Taeyeon cheek.

“Take care on your way home. Bye.” She stepped out and walked inside the building without looking back.

Taeyeon hasn’t still recovered from the kiss. She didn’t see that coming, it must be a thank you gesture for Tiffany but still her heart seems like want to jump out of ribcage. Taeyeon drive away with a big smile on her face.

 

to be continued........

 

 

===========================================================================================================================

My next update will be the last part of these flashback since I don't really want to dwell on this too much..this one gives me headache. HAHAHA :)    I'll try to finish writing the last part so that I can post it right before this weekend.
Thanks :P