Page 9

My "Fairytale" Ending
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Page 9

“It’s really you isn’t it?” I ask once again, unable to let the realization sink in. I scan his face and the feeling returns at the presence of a familiar stranger.

“Hey, gorgeous...” He smirks and I jerk back away from his face. It really is him. When we were younger, he always used to tease me about being chubby. And when his teasing would get too far he’d soften, tell me he’s sorry, and tell me “to smile gorgeous”. I smile at the thought and I’m finally back to reality.

“It’s been a while Jongin...” This time I can comfortably sit in my chair and so does he.

“Yeah, I know... So how have you been?” His tone was still warm and gentle like how I remembered. His hair was a different shade than how I remembered. But his smile, his smile was the same old beautiful smile it always was.

“I’ve been fine, better than the last time you saw me.” He smiles at the memory and so do I.

“Yeah, you were soaked weren’t you? That was the same day my family and I left town too…” I nod my head as I remember the countless amount of water balloons being thrown in the air like grenades, each one just happened to soak me pretty well.

“Huh, it was wasn’t it? You know, you could’ve at least said goodbye…”

“I tried, but my parents said it was urgent to leave immediately or we’d miss our flight. I felt like crying for some reason, I just really wanted to see you…” Did he just say he wanted to see me? I turn to face him and it took him a while to sink in what he just said, and you knew he caught on with the expression written on his face. “Guys! I wanted to see you guys!” He laughed nervously and avoided eye contact for a while. “So where are you headed?” The thought popped up once again, where was I headed?

“I actually don’t know, I was planning to go eat lu-”

“Then it’s settled, I’ll treat you for lunch, what do you say?” I smiled at him and agreed to the treat. It’s been a while, a long while, so why not? Two more stops and Jongin and I got off the bus, we were headed into the heart of the downtown city. There were different kinds of food stores we’d pass by, each trying to lure us into its trap with its various smells and inviting presence. It was less crowded this time during the day, so the long lines were nothing we worried about.

“Where do you want to eat?”

“Anywhere, you should know this place better than me, what’s good and what’s not.” I nod my head and look around for my favorite café.

“Ah! Machine Café, it newly opened last month and I’ve been going almost every day since.” I grabbed his hand and led him inside the café, picking the booth that sits two on each side near the window for it had the best view.

“Okay then, what’s good here? Besides me.” He winks at me; he’s still his usual cheesy self.

“Ew, stop it, I might lose my appetite and I like eating here.” I grabbed a menu and covered his face with it. I scanned the area for a particular server and a smile appeared on my face as our eyes meet. “Unnie!” I call her out, waving my arm to grab her attention, Jongin as well turned around, curious as to what or who I was waving to.

“Yah! Aerin-ah if you don’t quiet down I’m going to have to kick you out.” She snapped in a playful voice. She took the pencil that sat on top of her ear and opened her notebook pad on which she writes the orders. “So it’ll be the usual for you. And what about this handsome fellow? Your boyfriend I presume?” She grinned ear to ear before shooting a wink at me. My eyes popped open as I shake my head nonstop hoping she doesn’t embarrass me any further. Jongin only smiles in response to the situation.

“I’ll have the daily special.” We hand her the menus as she leaves to get our orders.

“I am so sorry for that. I’m pretty close to the workers here nowadays after coming here so many times. I’ll make sure to have a talk with her so it wouldn’t happen again.” I could feel my cheeks blush red but I couldn’t help it, I was embarrassed.

“Eh, I don’t know I didn’t mind it so there’s no need.” Jongin looks out at the busy world outside the window and that same smile he had on the bus appeared again.

“You really miss it here don’t you?” It made me smile at how sincere he looked. I would’ve thought he’d be happy to leave and travel outside these city barriers, I know I would. I mean especially being a writer and all. I want to be able to travel and see the world. I wanna write about the food in Japan or the corals in the Philippines. I want my voice to be heard from the shores of California to the small towns in Austria. There’s just so much to write about in the world, so much to see and explore. I guess it sounds a little cheesy, corny even. But for someone like me, who has never been outside the invisible wall-hugging this city, even a single step outside would be a new experience.

“Every last bit of it.” His eyes glowed at the array of people who walked by. I guess the outside world was different from Seoul.

“May I ask where you went? I mean no one really knows what happened to you.” Jongin finally broke his concentration from the street and focused on me.

“It’s a long story-” I stopped him mid-sentence and smiled.

“I bet it is but trust me I’ve got time.” Jongin shrugged his shoulders.

“Ditching class again?” He smirked at me.

“You know me so wel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter