Chapter 4 - Never Judge A Book By Its Cover

Love or Revenge

"You mean you dont know?"

Is there something I missed..?

I wait for us to be alone together and then reopen the conversation with Nurse Gayoon.

"Mr Eun's wife passed away 20 years ago..."

"So that woman with him was....?"

"He's the woman he fell in love with after his wife's death."

So that's who she is.

"Once he found out that he was sick, his wish was to spend his final days with her but his family wouldnt allow it. They must've been worried about their inheritance, should he choose to remarry."

"How awful..,"I said in surprise.

"The daughter and son wanted to lock him up in the hospital and they even told us not to let anyone in his room who's not a family. It was like they were holding him captive."

That's terrible...

"So Dr Lu knew this...?"

Nurse Gayoon nodded. "Yes, he respected Mr Eun's wished and to make them come true. He released Mr Eun against the family's objections. I heard that the Director at first resisted saying that we cant let such an important patient slip thru our fingers like that. But then, remember? It was when Song Hye Kyo showed up here..."

So that's how it was.......

How could I have missed so much?

I didnt understand the feelings of Mr Eun or those of Dr Lu.

 

Back in the office......

"Dr Lu..."

"What is it?"

"Mr Eun was........"

"That again,"he sounded easperated.

"No...Nurse Gayoon told me everything."

"..."

"I was wrong. I am sorry. I didnt know and said horrible things..."

"It doesnt matter."

"It does!" I said in mild anger. "Because you didnt explain the situation to me,I misunderstood your actions."

"I dont care what others think..."

"But I'm your colleague. You should tell me these things. We need to communicate a little more..."

"Between preventing misunderstandings and helping patients, its obvious which is more important."

I stared art him.

"You said it yourself.. You regretted that you couldnt save Ms Sandara Park..."

"Yeah."

"Even if you cant save a life, there's always something else that you can save...."

Something else I can save.....

"Understanding that is also our job."

"...."

"I wont be distracted by nonsence."

To Lu Han, commmunication between doctors is nonsence.

I understand the importance of what he's saying about patients but why does he isolate himself like that....

 

I'm about to make my rounds, when the person who passed in front of me is no other that Ms Sandara Park's daughter.

I dont really want to talk to her but.....I see her swollen eyes with tears and my heart aches.

"Ms Park,"I call out.

"Oh, Doctor..Hi."

Thank goodness...she's calmer than I expected.

I wasnt sure what would become of her after losing her mother but.....

"What brings you here today?'

"We asked her to come to take care of some paperwork,"Nurse Jihyun answered, appearing beside the girl.

"My dad couldnt come because of work so I've come instead.."

"I see.."

Poor girl. Taking care of the paperwork for her mom's death has to be painful."

"Um...thank you for taking care of my mom."

"Not at all..."

I couldnt do anything for her, in the end........

"You're strong. But dont push yourself. Back when I..."

Without thinking, I almost talk about my own mother and then freeze.

"What's wrong?"

"Um, its nothing..Please come talk to me if you find yourself feeling upset or are having any problems. You dont havce to deal with this by yourself."

She forced herself to smile."Thank you but I'm fine. After talking to Dr Lu, I decided that I wont cry anymore."

"Hmm?"

"After it happened, Dr Lu came over to me..."

After it happened...in other words, when I was crying....

"I said, why didnt you tell me that my mother was going to die so soon? And then Dr Lu told me, when my mom was brought to the hospital, she said that she wanted me to see her smiling. He said it must have been hard for her to keep it a secret that she was dying but she never let that show in front of me, she always looked happy,She fought to the end, for me."

Lu Han did that............

"So I've decided, I would show my mom my own smile as she watches over me from where she is now. Crying over her forever would only make her sad."

She gave me a bright smile though her eyes was still swollen.

What a strong girl...I though she was the same as I was 12 years ago.

But she's completely different.

I could have never been this strong...

 

I take a walk in the courtyard and recall Lu Han's words.

'Even if you cant save a life, there's always something else that  you can save.'

He saved Mr Eun and Ms Park emotionally....

Not just as a doctor.

He's always thinking about what he can do for patients as a person.

Maybe Lu Han isnt the person I thought he was....

 

Stillm he's the son of this man...

Standing in front of the bust, I stare at its face.

This man killed my mother and he covered it up.

He will not be pardoned.

I cant sympathize with the son of my enemy.

Not if I'm to get the revenge I came for..........

My mobile rang.

A call...its Kris.

"Yes, this is Jeon."

"This is Kris. Where are you?"

"I am the hospital..."

"Good. Please come to the Director's office immediately. He would like to see you."

"Okay, I'll be right over."

What could this be about?"

I wonder if he's still angry when I rejected the offer to help Lu Han in the operation.

 

*click*

"Hello..."

"Ah Dr Jeon. I'm sorry for calling in, I know you must be busy."

"Its no trouble."

Huh, he seemd to be in a good mood...?

"I heard from Lu Han that you've agreed to perform Representative Lee So Man's operation."

"Oh yes, I did.."

He laughed. "That's good. I'm releived to hear it."

"I'm sorry for refusing it the other day, I should have recognized it as an opportunity."

"Oh, that's all right. As Kris pointed out, its a lot of pressure, performing an operation alone a prominent surgeon like Lu Han.If the prospect didnt make you nervous, now that would have been strange."

I smile in agreement.

"In fact, its proven too much for number of doctors over the years. They were all talk."

"I had no idea..."

"On that , you are modest despite your superior talents. You and Lu Han might make a good team."

He gives the reason but...All it means is that andy could do it if they can just get along with his son.

"We have high expectations for you so do a good work."

"I'll do my best.."

"That's all I wanted to talk about. Actually, I have to get going. I am sorry for summoning you out of the blue. Excuse me."

"Of course."

*SLAM*

I watch the Director as he hurried out the door and let out a sigh.

Its exactly as Kris said.

The Director is completely uninterested in seeing the patients.

I start to leave too but suddenly I stand still.

This could be my chance to search for the medical records for permanent retention...

I hear sounds coming from the hallway.

Nobody would be coming in here...

I approach the Director's desk and reach my hand toward a drawer.

 

Its not here...No proof about a 12-year-old mistake.

But there's got to be something...

*clank* clank*

Huh, the drawer on this cabinet are locked.All of the others are unlocked. Could it be?

Wait, wasnt there a keychain one of these drawers?

I think it was over here..

*knock*knock*

"!"

"Its Kris."

"Kris! What am I going to do?"

"Sir, I'm coming in."

*click*

"He's not here.. What's this?"

"Who's there?"

"..."

"What are you doing there?"

Kris got close to me and grabs my arm.

"You're...Jeon?"

"Kris..."

"What are you doing here?"

"The Director called me here."

"But he's not in?"

"No..he left a moment ago.."

"Then why are you still in his office?"

"I...My necklace fell.."

"You were wearing a necklace?"he asked suspiciously.

"I was, just today."I lied.

"And you're sure it was here that you lost it?"

"I'm sure I was wearing it when I came to meet the Director so it should be here."

"Hmm, is it silver or gold?"

Kris's eyes began scanning the floor.

"Its all right, I've looked everywhere. I give up."

I put an end to the conversation and leave the room.

*SLAM*

That was close.

Kris believes me but I cant let myself be tempted into doing anything unplanned like that again.

 

Several days later....

I finish work and am bout to leave when I notice that the nurses are strangely excited.

What's going on? Did something happen?

Nurse Gayoon and Minji are walking my way.

"This is getting ridiculous,"Minji said angrily.

"Um, did something happen?"

"Yes, Ms Song happened. Song Hye Kyo in the single-occupancy room."

"Is there some kind of problem?"

"The media got wind of her staying here,"Nurse Gayoon answered. "The front entrance is flooded with press people."

"Oh.."

"They're taking pictures from the building that faces her window too. Ms Song and her manager are both feeling really tense."

"She brought her manager,"Mingji adds. "They're treating all of the nurses like criminals. 'Catch the person who leaked this infromation and bring that person to me!' Give me a break. They even went on to preach to me about security and privacy."

"They sound difficult all right."

" Were you leaving?"

"Yes,my shift ended and I thought I'd leave early today."

"In that case, you should go out by the back, You'll be surrounded by the press if you use the front entrance."

"Back..?"

"There's a back entrance but its hard to find. I'll take you."Nurse Gayoon offered.

"Thank you."

"All right Doctor, lets go."

 

We walk all the way to the end of the hall and then make a turn. The lighting is dark.

"I didnt know there was a place like this.."

"Yeah. The Department of Sugery is in the new wing. Everything from this point is the old wing."

Even the walls seem black.

"Interesting, I didnt know there was an old wing."

"Its not used anymore so nobody really walks this way."

What a waste. Its perfectly usable.

So many hospitals could use a building like this...

 I guessed it shows how healthy the cashw is here.

"If you just go down those steps, you'll be at the back door."

"I see. You can leave me here then."

"You sure?"

"Yes, you should return to work. Thank you so much for your help."

"When you leave thru that door, just walk along the building. You'll end up on the main street."

"Got it. It's dark so dont forget to be careful on your way back."

"You too Doctor."

I part with Nurse Gayoon and step onto the dim staircase.

 

*creak...*

The door has grown heavy with rust. I guess they dont really use the place.

I slowly peek my head out the door. The area is completely quiet.

Looks like nobody's here.

I've made it. There was something a little creepy about that stairwell though....

I'm about the exit the hospital when....

Ring.............

"?"

Somebody's here?

"Alright. Tell them I'll be there later."

This voice...Its Lu Han's.

What is he doing here?

Curious, I walk toward the building from which his voice came from.

I look up at the stairwell.

And see Lu Han there, smoking and writing something down.

What is he doing up there?

 

"Dr Lu?"

Lu Han looks up at me in surprise.

And on that beat, a piece of paper drops from his hands and flutters down towards me.

Hey....

I dash over to the paper and pick it up.

Huh? This is?

Lu han descends the steps and silently reaches his hand out.

"This is a copy of Ms Sandara Park's medical record."

Lu Han looks away.

Looking closely, I see that it include notes on his conversation with her daughter.

In Lu Han's hands is a bulky notebook.

Lu Han snatches the copy from my hands and sticks it in the notebook.

"Do you keep the records of all of your patients in there?"

"Only the one I lose."

"Bt you said,' dont waste time after its over'..."

"If all you're doing is crying about it."

"..."

"But its worth not forgetting."

"For treating the next patient.."

"Yeah..that and to admonish...Myself."

A dark expression suddenly flashes across his face.

Admonish himself....

Lu Han...

Does he plan on carrying the burden of his patients death for his whole life.

He'll ruin himself.

I remember when I saw him taking a nap in the on-call room.

He seemd to be having a terrible nightmare.

Was he tortured by their deaths..?

Lu Han turns away, as if rejecting any further questions and disappear toward the dark hospital wing.

He might actually be the kindest, warmesr person of anyone...........