Chapter 7 - Kiss of Life

Love or Revenge

"Its morning?"

Hmm, something seems off and I look to the side.

Lu Han??

Why? How?

Yesterday we were at the bar drinking...then we got into a cab...and then.....

I'm unable to get my eyes in focus before Lu Han opens his eyes.

He looks at me and smile brightly.

"Morning,"he said and I noticed that he was shirtless.

"G-good morning."

"When I'm next to you, sleeping is so easy..."

Oh no...Lu Han's face is getting closer and closer.

"Hey, wait!"

Surprised by my own voice, I jumped out of the bed.

Nobody was there , of course.

A dream.....

I blushed as I remembered Lu Han.

I relaxed and look at the clock.

That's right. I'm meeting Se Hun at seven in Internal Medicine.

I've gotta get ready...

Yesterday I told Lu han I'd perform Ms Han's operation, didnt I?"

I stare at the Director's bust from the front entrance.

I wont complain from now on...

I'll show you...

I will succeed at the very operation that when in your hands, stole my mother's life.

I will prove that I have what it takes to get my revenge.

 

I'm about to enter the office to put down my things when, I hear voices coming from inside the room.

"Why would you do something like that?"

"Asking why wont..."

These voices...they belong to Kris and the chief surgeon.

Looks like Kris is back from US.

I'm about to enter the room anyway when....

"I will perform Ms Han's operation, all right?"

What? Why Kris?

"But Lu Han requested that we wait for him to consider his answer and..."

"Dr Lu Han should not be on this surgery,"Kris said firmly. "Why would you try to assign it to him in the first place?"

"I needed a doctor to take place of the Director as the operating surgeon.I wanted to ask a doctor who could fill his shoes. Anyone would do the same."

"So you say but Dr Lu of all people...There are any number of others you could have asked."

"I understand that and I considered it and judged to be qualified to perform the surgery."

"Qualified? You can say that because you're just an outsider who came here from an affilliated university hospital."

"And what does that mean?" the chief surgeon voice raised.

"It means that there are things about this hospital that only people form this hospital can understand."

What things.....?

"Anyway, I need you to tell Dr Lu as soon as possible to forget that this ever came up."

Kris and the others have been protecting Lu Han.

They dont want him to have any involvement with the operation that his father failed.

Even though it wasnt Lu Han who made the mistake, they were very protective.

"Jeon..?" Kris said, his eyes wide.

"Oh Kris."

I suddenly find myself standing in front of Kris.

"Hello, I see you're back from US."

He smiles. "Yeah, I just got back. You're in early arent you?"

"I have an appointment in Internal Medicine at 7am."

"In that case, you should hurry. Its alomost 7."

 

"I'm sorry I'm late,"I said as soon I reached the Internal Medicine office.

I saw Lu Han standing right next to Sehun.

"Oh Jiyoon, good morning,"Se Hun said brightly.

"Good morning. Why is Dr Lu here?"

"Since I called like a mad men last night, Lu Han Hyung called me back when he saw the crazy long of missed calls history,"he explained.

"Oh well, I guess you wont be needing me then,"I said...preparing to take my leave.

"When did I say that?"

"I'll just be assisting and you'll be the surgeon as planned,"Lu Han said.

"But if you're here, I think the patients would prefer it if you're the one to perform the operation."

"So you werent serious when you agreed to do this?"he said harshly.

"No, I didnt mean it that way."

The cold Lu Han has returned.

Looking into his eyes, I recalled what he looked like when he was leaning against me inside the cab.

When I'm with you....I'm able to sleep.....

What was that about.......?

"Jiyoon?"Sehun calls out.

I look back at him

"Here's the chart."

I clumsily take the chart from him and muttered thanks.

"You're kinda spacey. Everything okay?"

"I'm good."

"Okay then. Let me take you two to the patient's room."

 

Lu Han walks in front of me and myes are fixed on his back.

I wonder if he was able to sleep after he got home last night?

Ugh...Thanks to that dream, I cant seem to get him off my mind!

I try to forget about my feelings by flipping thru the medical chart as we walk when, Sehun sneaks up to whisper in my ear.

"Hey, so what happened last night?"

"Hm? I dont know what you mean."

"This again...You were together, right? With Lu Han?"

"I was not,"I lied.

"Really? Just a second ago, you were staring at him with that spacey look on your face."

"I...You're distracting me. Please stop making things up. I have a surgery to perform."

"You're right...sorry.."

The only reason I am getting close to Lu Han is to improve my chances for revenge.

There's no room distraction..I have to keep it together.

 

I'm eating lunch, late an dalone when Kris came over to me.

"Jeon, good job on the operation today."

"Kris.."

"Mind if i sit?"

"Be my guest."

He sat across me.

Come to think of it, whatever happened with that conversation between Kris and the chief surgeon.

"Hmmm, about Ms Han's operation.."

"What about it?"Kris asked, his face instantly changed.

"I'm sorry but I accidentally overheard part of the conversation this morning. I was also asked by the chief surgeon to assist on that surgery so i was just wondering what happened."

"Well, as I understand it, all will go according to plan and Lu Han will be the surgeon,"Kris answered with a smile.

"Oh, okay."

Good. He accepted, just as he said he would....

"You look rather happy,"he said,noticing.

"What? N-no, its.. Its just that I know Dr Lu was wavering whether or not to perform this operation. I'm glad that his worries have been dispelled. By the way..this morning you mentioned something about ' things about this hospital'..?

Kris was stunned.

"I think you said "Lu Han should not be on this surgery..' What do you mean by that?"

Did he tell you anything about that?"

I shake my head.

"But he did say that he sometimes becomes nervous and also he worries whether he can really save the person in front of him."

"He said that? Well......................"

"If something happened that I dont know about, could you tell me?"

"For what purpose?"

"I think I should hear it before the operation takes place. Because I, like the chief surgeon, am an outsider whop came form a different hospital."

Kris fixes his eyes on me and his expression sudddenly falls.

"I had no idea you were listenig when I said that...But its nothing for you to worry about. Its nothing important."

"Its not?"

That cant be true.

"I expect its the same for you as well, but as you perform an increasing number of operations, you'll discover at which you are particularly skilled at and weaker points."

"That's true."

"That being the case, shouldnt a surgeon who has particular skill at a given surgery be the one to perform it. In this department, when it comes to who will be responsible for what operation..There's a sort of implicit agreement as to whom a surgery will be assigned."

"I see."

"Ms Han's surgery happens to be one of my strengths. I may have been away but I felt as though Xiao Lu had taken something away from me. And I got a little upset. I was being childish."

He's lying...

That wasnt what was in his voice this morning.

"When Xiao Lu was asked to be Ms Han's surgeon, he was probably unusually nervous, being asked to perform an operation that he hadnt performed in a long time. But I am surprised that he voiced his anxieties. Especially to you.Its just like what the Director said. You might be the perfect partner for Xiao Lu. I hope you will continue to offer your support for him.Keep it up."

He hid it well...

But now I know, Kris knows everything and is protecting the Director and his son .

But why?

Kris himself is an excellent doctor.

He doesnt need to go to such lengths to protect and stay at this hospital.

 

Back at the office, the chief surgeon dropped by.

"Thanks a lot, I was sure you'd accept Dr Lu. It looks like I get to keep my reputation as well. Jeon, I'm relying on you too."

"Yes, sir."

My voice trembles slightly. Its hard to ignore.

It'll be fine .I'm with Lu Han. My mother will help me thru this too.

 

"What is it?" Lu Han asked after the chief surgeon left.

"Hmm? Oh, nothing."

"Okay..."

 

"Move the patient from the Internal Medicine to Surgery,"Lu Han instructed. "Then prepare the operating room and nurses."

"Yes, sir,"Minji said."I will be the operating room nurse this time."

"You, Nurse Oh?" I asked.

She gave a nod.

'Since Dr Lu is replacing the Director as a surgeon, I will support you during the surgery to the best of my ability."

"All right, Dr Jeon will give you the details,"Lu Han said. 

I am impressed, he looked calm.

Lu Han went into the office.

 

"Dr Lu really trust Dr Jeon, dont he?" Nurse Jihyun said suddenly.

"I'm sure there's nothing special about that,"I shrugged.

"That's not true. You two go well together,"she teases.

"Ermm..."

"You're like the powerhouse team of Seoul General Hospital," she continued, laughing.

"I really dont think so.."

"That's right,"Minji adds."No doctor has it so easy. Right Dr Jeon?"

"R-right."

"But for now, you have to support Dr Lu at this surgery."

"I will."

There's somethingstrange about the way everybody is nervous about this surgery.

Is it because it was supposed to be the Director's?

Or is it because of the Director's past mistake?

 

I returned to the office and saw Kris at his desk, attacking a mountain of paperwork.

At his side is a large suitcase.

'Kris, I heared that you're on call tonight..."

"Yes, that's right." He said, looking up to smile at me.

"But you just got back from the US. I can take over your shift, if you like."

"Thanks but I'll be okay. It doesnt look like I would be able to go home tonight anyway."

Kris looks at the mountain of paper and forces a smile.

"All right. Well, goodnight."

"Goodnight."

I place the 'OUT' card next to my name on the whiteboard.

Lu Han hasnt left yet...

 

I walk around....

I havent seen him anywhere. Where could he be...?

Curious, I check some empty rooms.

Could he be out at the back?

When I started walking toward the back door, I noticed a dim light coming from a conference room up ahead.

Who's in there..?

*click*

I quietly open the door to a dark room and the image of backlit x-raysand a man's figure pierce my eyes.

Lu Han?

Those.... are Ms Han's x-rays...

I'm about to call out to him but I stopped myself.

Looking at his back, I get the feeling that he's trying to shut out from the rest of the world.

Maybe I shouldnt intrude.

I try to close the door softly.

"Jeon....?"

Oh no...I was caught.

"Yesss..... I'm sorry. I always seem to be interrupting."

"No, its fine."

Lu Han removes the X-rays.

I notice that his hand trembles slightly as he holds them.

"Lu Han..,"I whispered.

"Hmm?"

"Your hand..."

Lu Han pulls his hand away but I'm faster and grab hold of it. 

I then realized how bold I was.

'I..I'm sorry..."

I quickly let go. But this time, its Lu Han who takes my hand.

"Could you stay with me for a little while?"

I look at his eyes questioningly.

"For some reason, I feel calm when I'm with you."

"Lu Han..."

I squeeze his hand in response.

Its the same with me.

Being together like this.

I dont feel so nervous anymore about the operation.

 

The day of the operation arrives...

We get thru the operation without any problems.

I went up to the rooftop alone... The sunset is so beautiful....

Thank goodness.....

Mother, I did it.. I got thru one more obstacle.

The evening breeze feels good.

I let my hair down and can feel all the tension melt away from my body.

I'm glad this went well for Lu Han too."

"So, here you are."

"Lu Han..."

How did he know I am here?

He stand beside me. "The operation was a success, thanks to you. I'm glad I did it."

"I'm happy to hear that but you must give yourself more credit."

"I'm grateful,"he said with a soft smile."Thanks."

"I should be the one thanking you. Its because of you that I was able to face my fears."

His face turns gloomy again. "That's right, you were saying something about that the other day.'The road that cant be avoided. Did you find your way?"

I flashed a smile. 

"Yes, I did. There's no escaping it. I just have to move forward."

"Is that so,"he asked, almost teasingly."Good."

Lu Han is afraid of the surgery because of his father and I am afraid because of my mother...

Lu Han must have no idea that we were both tormented by the same operation.

I realize that Lu Han is staring in my direction.

His eyes are gentle and kind.

When eyes like that are looking at you, what are you suppossed to do?

I cast my gaze downward and Lu Han touches my hair.

I felt my heart beating faster and faster.

"You seem different than usual.."

"D-do I...?"

I laugh it out to hide my embarrassment. "You should avoid me after an operation. My hair is a mess, my make is all over the place from sweat. I'm sure I look awful."

"No, you dont,"he said almost in a laugh.

What am I going to do... my face feels hot. He's going to notice.

I liftt my head towards him . I smile awkwardly at him to hide my agitation.

"Lu Han, you..."

The next thing I knew, his lips was on mine.

Full of disbelief, I stand still, unable to move.

My eyes widen in surprised, but I began to relax and close my eyes and savour the taste of his lips......