PART 6

Will you be my girl? (나랑 사귈래?)

Sina glanced at Byung who was nodding off behind his textbook. He didn’t look any different today. They didn’t get any chance to talk this morning since Byunghun came just right in time before the teacher entered the room. The teacher’s explanation on Einstein Law didn’t interest her. Her mind was replaying the scene when she walked to school with Yoomi (she sacrificed her time with Minsoo for Yuri) and Yuri. Yuri was still as gloomy, people might thought she was diagnosed with lethal disease. She said she had been texting Byunghun but no reply at all. She was really scared that Byunghun hated her.

Sina and Yoomi thought they would have everything resolved by now. So they were surprised that Byunghun didn’t reply her messages. It wasn’t like him to be like this. It’s either he’s really angry that he didn’t even read the message, or he didn’t want to talk about this anymore. Sina ensured Yuri that she would talk to him—since they were classmates.

As soon as the class was over, Sina rose and walked to Byunghun’s seat. He didn’t look like going off somewhere, since he’s plugging headphone on his phone. Chanhee was looking at them quietly, from his own seat.

“Byunghun-ah, you haven’t forgiven Yuri?”

Sina didn’t even bother with small talks. She just wanted to end the problem. Period.

Byunghun looked up, turning off the music. “Why people kept stepping in my problem?” he said, although annoyed, he didn’t look like it.

“Isn’t this too much?”

“You know that her words hurt me,” protested Byunghun. He was the victim here.

“She didn’t mean to say that. And she apologized already. It’s because you ignore her. Why did you do that for, anyway?”

Byunghun fell silent, refused to open his mouth.

“You know, right?” Sina exclaimed.

“Know what?”

“You know her feelings to you. That’s why you ignore her. Don’t you know that you hurt her too by doing that?”

“I just want her to know that she couldn’t hope for anything from me…”

Sina rolled her eyes. “Why should you do that? No one said anything about what Yuri felt. Why did you suddenly take that conclusion? That might be wrong.”

“I don’t want to hurt her,” said Byunghun, as if that would justify his actions.

“Not by doing something like that. You hurt her more.”

Sina sat down in the empty seat in front of Byunghun. She actually didn’t want to step into their problem, especially Byunghun’s. It might not be as simple as what she thought. Moreover, she didn’t do love problems. It was too complicated. But it’s been on her mind too. She had to push the reality to him.

“You’re stuck, Byunghun ah. You let yourself stuck in one time and space. You did this to yourself. If there is love, distance means nothing. If she really did love you, you wouldn’t break up…”

Byunghun glared at Sina, trying not to get mad at her. At some point, she was right. And he was mad at her for being right. But in another point to make, she’s saying that too rudely.

“It’s not as simple as that. If only it was…”

“Then tell me about it. You keep things from us, but you want us to understand. Is that friendship to you?”

Byunghun paused. He carefully thought not to burden his friends with his problem.

“I’m not experienced with love, and I might not be the best person to give you suggestion, but I think you’re being selfish.”

Another point she made, and she was right. He knew it too. He was well aware of it. He sighed. “I know I’m selfish. But what can I do?”

“You can do something about that. Start talking with us. Stop ignoring Yuri.”

Sina rose from her seat. “We’ll be in the canteen if you want to join us.” She paused and patted Byunghun’s head.  “It’s time to move on, Byung ah.”

Byunghun just nodded and let Sina left the room. Chanhee also left his seat and ran after SIna—who was already standing in front of the classroom. She looked at Chanhee with worried look.

“Do you think that will work?” she asked.

Chanhee only smiled and gave her pat on her shoulders. They walked to the canteen.

“I’m worried that he might hate us more now…”

“It was well said, Sina. Don’t worry about it,” he replied, putting his hand on Sina’s head and ruffled her hair.

“Stop it, Chanhee ya! You’re messing up my hair!” protested Sina, pulling away from him. But Chanhee wouldn’t let go, he ruffled it more.

She was about to scold him, when he finally stopped and called someone not far from them.

“Oh, Niel!”

Sina saw Niel, standing with two girls—weren’t they from the same year as her?—and Niel turned around when he heard Chanhee’s voice. His eyes stopped at Chanhee’s hand—which was still on top of Sina’s head. He tried his best to cover it, but a sense of jealousy surged inside him. He talked with the girls, who glared at Sina before walking away, and walked to them. Chanhee casually removed his hand from Sina’s head. He was interested more to the girls talking with Niel previously than Sina now.

“Hyung, noona,” Niel said as he approached them.

“Who are they? Aren’t they seniors for you?”

“Uhh… yeah. They need to talk about… something…” he replied awkwardly.

Chanhee looked at the letters in Niel’s hand. “And that is…?” he teased.

Niel blushed and he glanced at Sina for a second. Panicked, Niel quickly pushed the letters in his trouser’s pocket. “These are nothing.”

Sina smiled although she felt something weird in her chest. It felt tight and uncomfortable. Unconsciously she held Chanhee’s arm. Niel saw this and he had to force a smile and pretended not seeing it. The man Sina might love could be Chanhee. If it wasn’t him, why would she behave that way? They were like a couple just before, and now she casually held Chanhee’s arm.

Chanhee laughed. “You’re pretty popular, Niel,” said he.

“Stop it, hyung. Where are you going to?”

“The canteen. The others were there already, I think. The roof would be too hot. Fall is coming, but it’s still too hot.”

“I’m waiting for Jonghyun. He said he would…”

“Hyung!”

They turned around and saw Jonghyun waving his hands. He greeted the people as he walked closer. Teen Top members were pretty popular in school, so it wasn’t a new thing to see girls waving or smiling when they passed. Jonghyun recently got his popularity rising since his winning on individual dancing competition some weeks ago.

“Oh, noona and Chanhee hyung is here too. I have to finish writing the class report. Sorry I’m late.” Jonghyun looked around. “Where is Byunghun hyung?”

Sina just shrugged. Without even saying it, they just knew that the problem hadn’t been resolved. Saying that Changhyun was already in the canteen, the group headed for there too. When they arrived, Yuri was nowhere to be seen. Yoomi—who already sat next to Minsoo—said that Yuri was chilling in the library. Sina nodded in understanding, Yuri might want some time for herself. As they sat down in the long table and ordered some foods, Sina texted Byunghun.