PART 21

Will you be my girl? (나랑 사귈래?)

That day was the gloomiest day ever for them. They gathered in the rooftop for lunch as in Yuri’s suggestion. That day was pretty cold, the end of October, so there would be many students in there. They would have the freedom to speak—or even to scream if it was necessary—although actually Sina didn’t want this.

Sina and Yuri who knew the problem kept silent as they listened to the boys chatting. Minsoo was there, but he acted casual. Both of them didn’t know what to say, even to each other, and they only exchanged glances. This was already out of their hands. Yoomi appeared in the roof top with swollen red eyes, surprising the boys –except Niel who was also stealing glances at Sina nervously.

Minsoo quickly rose and held his girlfriend, but Yoomi turned down his hands, leaving him stunned. Yoomi walked to Yuri and Sina and cried again in their hugs. Minsoo tried to speak but Yuri gave him signal to be quiet. Yuri could be really scary if she’s angry. Minsoo saw that already and decided not to mess with her. This shocked the boys, even Byunghun, who was busy with his phone, ignored his phone and looked at them.

“What happened, noona?” Jonghyun asked, carefully.

Yoomi didn’t answer, she kept crying.

Yuri Yoomi’s hair. “Now, now, stop crying and tell us what happened. We won’t know if you didn’t tell us.”

“Yuri is right, Yoomi. Tell us. Come on, stop crying now.”

The other just stared at Yoomi in silent. They didn’t want to make unnecessary remark which would only worsen things. They never saw girls crying before and obviously didn’t know what to do. Byunghun and Chanhee looked at each other, while Changhyun moved closer to Niel, whispering something. Niel only shook his head.

Yoomi choked as she tried to stop her cry. She tried to calm herself, but every time she saw Minsoo, she would be reminded of the girl who clung on Minsoo’s arm. It tore her apart.

Minsoo kneeled before his girlfriend, placing his hand on her shoulder. “Baby, tell me what happen.”

Yoomi turned to Minsoo, they could see rage in her eyes—rage and sadness. But she was suppressing it. “Where are you last night?!”

Her question threw him off guard. He stuttered a bit and answered, “I’m at home. Why…?”

“LIAR!!” she screamed, slapping Minsoo’s hand off her shoulder. “You lied to me! I saw you last night WITH A GIRL! MIND TO EXPLAIN THAT?!”

That stunned Minsoo. He really didn’t expect that question or that sentence. “Wha… what are you talking about?”

Yoomi rose and started screaming. “SEE? You lied again!! You lied to me!”

Minsoo stood up, followed by the others—who watched them, not knowing what to do. “You have to listen to me, Yoomi….”

“No need to explain anything! I DON’T WANT TO HEAR ANYTHING FROM A LIAR!!”

Yoomi started stomping off the rooftop. Minsoo grabbed her hands, trying to stop her, begging her to listen to what he needed to say. Unexpectedly, Yoomi slapped Minsoo. The others gasped as they watched.

“STAY AWAY FROM ME! I HATE A LIAR!” she screamed and rushed off the rooftop.

Yuri glared at Minsoo—who was dumbfounded—and ran after Yoomi. Sina decided to stay, maybe she could force something out of Minsoo. Beside her, Niel holding her arm—as if to stop her throwing a punch to Minsoo.

“Minsoo! What was all that about?!” Chanhee demanded.

“I never saw Yoomi that hysteric…” Byunghun mumbled, pushing his phone into his pocket. This was not the right time to mind his business. This was far more important and urgent.

“I… can’t say it…”

Sina sighed. “You. I can’t believe you keep lying even after she knew what happened. I just can’t believe it.”

Minsoo looked at Sina with pleading eyes. She was always cold-headed in most of the situation might be able to help him to make Yoomi listen to him. He just needed more time. “There’s a reason for this.”

Sina crossed her arms. “Then, tell me.”

Minsoo hesitated. “I can’t… not yet….”

She sneered hearing the answer. “Just as I thought. You won’t be able to tell us the truth, then we can’t help you. I won’t blindly help someone I didn’t know right or wrong.”

“But you know me.”

“No I don’t,” she cut him off. “If you want us to help you, you need to tell us the truth.”

“Noona is right, hyung. Just tell us!” Changhyun begged.

“If hyung is doing the right thing, hyung can just simply tell us,” Jonghyun added.

Minsoo stayed silent. “I won’t hurt her. I will never hurt Yoomi.”

“But you just did,” Chanhee said. “You just hurt her. You saw how it torn her. You saw her.”

“I’m sorry. I can’t tell you. Not now…” he said, as he walked away.

 

***

 

After that day, Minsoo kept bugging Yoomi—while she totally ignored him, telling him to go away. Minsoo did try to talk, but he didn’t try to explain anything. Not to her, nor to the others. It was like he’s keeping something very important that no one should know about it. No matter how many times the others kept nagging him about it, telling him that maybe knowing the truth Yoomi might forgive him, he resisted.

Yoomi thought of breaking up, and pushing the idea to Minsoo. They ended up fighting. Not really fighting, since Minsoo didn’t want to break up, and Yoomi screaming about breaking up. Although Yoomi’s screaming and asking for breaking up, truthfully, she didn’t want it either. She hoped that by stating the idea, Minsoo might say something about that painful day. But Minsoo didn’t budge. He kept his mouth shut, not willing to share anything to anybody. Yet, he kept coming to Yoomi.

The others noticed that Minsoo had changed. Every lunch he would always disappear (usually he waited—by sleeping on the desk—for Yoomi to ask him for lunch. Yoori tried to follow him one day, but she lost him. He rarely slept in class too. Whenever Yoori glanced at him, he would always write something in his notebook, made her wonder what the hell was wrong with Bang Minsoo.

 

October passed and here came November. Yoomi grew more desperate as she remembered her promise of spending Minsoo’s birthday only the two of them. They should cancel it. Minsoo himself forgot about his birthday and the promise. She couldn’t help feeling sad and broken more than this.

That day was cold and windy, threatening people that it might snow soon. But Yoomi insisted on climbing to the rooftop, alone. Sometimes, she just wanted to be alone. Yuri and Sina agreed on her whenever she’s feeling like this. Yoomi needed time alone, to sort out her feeling. So, she leaned on the iron bar in the rooftop, holding the hat she bought for Minsoo. She might as well just throw this away, but she couldn’t do it. Deep in her heart, she still wanted to believe him, wanted him to tell her the truth. But it wouldn’t come out. Instead of believing him, every time they met, she just wanted to cuss at him, throwing tantrum, stating her desperation.

“Feeling better?” asked someone.

Yoomi turned in shock and saw Chanhee standing behind her. She didn’t hear him coming. “Uhh… how am I supposed to feel better?”

Chanhee walked toward her and stood beside her, leaned against the iron bar. “Yeah, sorry for my stupid question….”

Yoomi scoffed and leaned on the iron bar. They fell quiet. Chanhee glanced at the hat on Yoomi’s hand.

“You two haven’t resolved anything?” he asked again.

Yoomi shook her head. If they had, she wouldn’t be this desperate.

“You see… relationship didn’t work that way. You guys have to talk about it, or you won’t solve anything at all.”

“It’s not that easy, Chanhee,” protested Yoomi, feeling that Chanhee was talking about her who literally didn’t want to listen to anything Minsoo said. “He lied to me, to us, to everyone. Why do you think I should believe in him?”

Chanhee looked at Yoomi with his caring eyes. “I know Minsoo longer than you. I might not know him better than you, but I know he will never hurt someone he cares so much, like you. There must be a reason why he doesn’t tell you—us. We—you, might just need to believe in him more.”

“Blindly believing someone who lied to me? Are you kidding me?” Yoomi argued.

Saying that, she actually wanted to believe in him. She wanted to blindly believe in Minsoo, but a part of her heart saying she shouldn’t, as it might hurt her more. She was wounded in the past, for a trust. She didn’t want to repeat the same mistake. She didn’t want to get hurt.

Chanhee sighed. “Do you hate him?”

Yoomi nodded. She hated him for lying to her. She hated him for letting another girl clung onto his arm. She hated him.

“Do you still love him?”

She held the hat tighter. Yes, she still loved him. She still did. So much that it hurt.

“See? You just have to repeat that question in your heart, and believe him. I know he won’t hurt you, out of the people in the world.”

Tears started rolling in her cheeks. If only everything was as simple and easy as what Chanhee said, she won’t suffer this much. If only she could go back to Minsoo’s arm and blindly believed in him, it would be much easier. If only she didn’t feel like tearing apart inside every time she remembered Minsoo’s lies, it would be much easier.

Chanhee pulled Yoomi closer, and letting her cry on his chest. Yoomi sobbed hard while hugging the hat, as if it was Minsoo. What Chanhee said was right, the matters could be that simpler.

“Do you want me to give that to him?” Chanhee offered, pointing at the hat.

Yoomi shook her head repeatedly. When everything was better, she would want to give this directly at him, with a smile in her face. She would like to do that. Fast.