PART 19

Will you be my girl? (나랑 사귈래?)

“Noona should have told me that,” Niel protested, staring at Sina who was browsing through rows of books in the shelves.

Sina didn’t even look up when she answered, “Because we don’t know the truth, we don’t want to alarm everybody. Minsoo was about to tell me something if you stop barging in like that.”

Niel pouted. “But you two are really close like that. How am I supposed not to feel jealous?”

“Why should you? We’re already friends since in the first grade.”

“Ahh… so noona is saying that I know nothing about your friendship?”

Now Sina looked at Niel, she patted his hand. “I didn’t say that. What I am trying to say is, there’s nothing between me and Minsoo. Never.”

Niel smiled in satisfaction and Sina turned to look for books she needed.

“But what was Minsoo hyung doing with a girl? In Myeongdeong?” Niel wondered, muttering to himself.

“That, we don’t know. We’ve been trying to ask, secretly, but he wouldn’t reply. Now, I’m not even sure if that’s really him.” Sina dragged her fingers on the books and pulled one out of the shelves. She randomly opened one page and read on.

“I never know Minsoo hyung would be a type to cheat on someone, especially someone like Yoomi noona. When I saw Minsoo hyung, we can feel his never-ending love towards Yoomi noona. And hyung always talked about Yoomi noona, she this, she that.”

Sina turned to Niel. That was something unexpected, especially from someone like Minsoo. “Oh, did he?”

“Yep. That hyung has a lot of aegyo too, noona. He did that when the girls aren’t around. And I think towards Yoomi noona only.”

Sina nodded in understanding. That was the reason why Yoomi described Minsoo as cute. Sina and Yuri obviously didn’t think that way. Just listen to Minsoo’s extremely heavy voice, and the word ‘cute’ vanished from him. But they wouldn’t disagree that Minsoo had charming and cute smile.

“Say, noona. Let’s say if one day you caught me walking with a woman. What will you do?”

“If it’s your mother, I will greet her of course,” Sina answered easily.

Niel groaned. “Not my mother! Let’s say… umm… Nam Sangmi noona! Let’s say I walk with her.”

Sina rounded her eyes. “Nam Sangmi? The actress? What are you doing walking with her??”

“It’s a pretend, noona. It’s an if!” Niel pouted, trying to make Sina play along.

She rolled her eyes. “It depends.”

Niel wasn’t satisfied of the answer. She should have said something cuter and romantic. “Okay, let’s just say I’m cheating on you! What will you do?”

“You? Cheat on me?” Sina smiled and said, “I’ll kill you if you ever cheat on me.”

Niel opened his mouth in disbelief. “Really?!”

Her smile wasn’t even vanishing from her lips. “I really will.”

Not knowing why, Niel thought this was cute. He hugged her. “Noona really is cute.”

Sina quickly pushed him away. “Ya! This is library. And that was supposed to be scary not cute.”

She put the book back in the shelves and walked away to another row of books. Although she’s trying to put a poker face, her heart beat faster. Niel tagged along behind her, humming Sina’s favorite song. This made Sina smiled quietly.

“What are you looking for, noona?” Niel asked, couldn’t help being quiet for even a minute.

“An article or something I could read for tomorrow’s English class,” Sina answered, and pulled another book on Great Britain history.

Niel bent forward and read the page. “History? You’re going to read about history on class? Isnt that boring?”

“I love history. You should learn about this too. You should enhance your English skill if you want to travel the world.”

“But I already have noona. Noona can translate everything I say, right? We promise to go together right?”

“What about a no?” she teased. When she glanced at Niel—who was poutin—she had to suppress her laughter. “I’m just kidding.”

“That is not funny.”

Sina read on the passage while smiling to herself, knowing that Niel was still pouting. Beside her, Niel looked around. The library was too quiet. Since the exam week had ended, not many students came here as it used to be. He looked at Sina who was too engulfed in the history book she was reading. He noticed her hair falling of the hairpin, covering the side profile of her face. He was attempted to tug them behind her ear, but he wondered if Sina would mind that.

Niel moved closer, peeking on the book. “Oh, noona! What if you read about this?” Niel suddenly said, pointing at a passage about the beheading of a certain king in 18th century.

Sina read on and cringed. She looked up. “Are you se…”

She didn’t continue, since the next second she met Niel’s eyes, their lips touched. She blinked couple of times before she finally closed her eyes.

 

img026.jpg

 

 Niel pulled away, his face was as red as tomato. He laughed nervously, his heart raced. Seeing Sina’s face which was flushed bright too, didn’t help him at all. His heart just beat harder. He felt like hugging her now so that he wouldn’t need to see them being nervous. He wondered if he did well. It was his first kiss.

 

Sina was no different, she punched Niel’s arm with trembling hands, muttering that they were in the library. She could barely feel anything as her heart was pounding crazily. She felt like slumping down on the floor right now, since her knees felt weak. But she just held the book tightly in front of her face. She still remembered every second she locked eyes with Niel—before closing it. She remembered how gentle and intimidating they were. It was her first kiss.

“That was a stupid idea,” Niel muttered, laughing nervously. He referred to the article he suggested.

“Yes it is,” Sina agreeing, her brain stopped working properly, so she only agreed on everything he said. Then she quickly wondered what he was actually talking about. Not wanting him to misunderstand, she said, “actually it was okay.”

“What is okay?” Niel raised his eyebrow, thinking that the story about someone being beheaded was not exciting at all.

Sina looked up. “Eh? The ki… ani?”

They blushed and laughed. Niel was about to say something when Sina moved away as she saw someone familiar entering the library.

“Minsoo?”

“Who? Minsoo hyung?”

Sina grabbed Niel’s hand and dragged him to the rear end of the shelves. They peeked and definitely saw Minsoo walking in the library—hands in his pocket. He looked indifferent but serious—unlike the usual him who was either sleepy or airheaded. Automatically, Sina and Niel hid behind the shelves, trying to watch what Minsoo was doing inside the library.

“What is he doing in here?” Sina whispered. “He never went into the library.”

“Minsoo hyung often comes here,” Niel answered. Sina looked at him in disbelief. “To sleep,” he continued.

Sina nodded in agreement. They kept looking at him, and moved to the closer shelves to have clearer sight, when Minsoo walked into the science section. Sina furrowed her eyebrow. Science? Minsoo? Science? Did he even like studying? Why science? She quickly felt there’s something wrong with this.

Minsoo turned around and in the same time Niel pulled Sina. Sina huffed in relief and they peeked again. They saw Minsoo pulled one book and slip something inside it, then put it back to the shelves. He looked around once more—in which Sina and Niel had pulled and moved to the farthest shelves so that Minsoo wouldn’t catch them. They carefully watched Minsoo left the library—hands still inside his pockets.

Both of them stared at the science section and the books Minsoo took.

“What should we do? Should we take it, noona?” Niel suggested, wondering what it was.

Sina thought for a second. She considered possible things which could happen, but all of them were too blurry. “No. What if he comes back and catch us? But I’m curious what it is….”

“Umm… maybe it’s a note? For someone? I watched a lot of drama movies, and they sometimes did it.”

“A note? Why would he write a note? He could simply just send text….”

Niel groaned. “To be romantic, noona!”

“That’s inconvenient,” Sina said again. “A note? For who? Yoomi? No way. Why would he do that?”

At that time, a girl entered the library and walked briskly to the science section. She didn’t even turn around or notice two pairs of eyes staring at her when she pulled the book and took the note. She smiled and pushed the note into her jacket pocket and walked away.

Sina and Niel watched the whole process in disbelief. Sina didn’t recognize the girl, but Niel furrowed his eyebrow as he remembered the girl.

“I know that girl! She’s from the next door class. Second grade…! Her name… umm… I cant remember her name.”

“Why would you remember her name?” Sina threatened.

“That aside, noona. Minsoo hyung is sending the message to her! She took the memo, read it, smile and it looks like she understand what it means.”

Sina nodded. How many people in the world randomly took a book from a library and found a note in it? Close to zero.

She didn’t know why, but she grew nervous about this. It felt like there’s something big going to happen. And they just have to wait until the gear of fate started rolling uncontrollably….