PART 20

Will you be my girl? (나랑 사귈래?)

Yuri looked at her phone with a frown. She read Yoomi’s name on the screen. Why was she calling her this late? Wondering, she picked up the phone and held it against her ear.

“Hello? What happen, Yoomi?”

Silent. Yuri’s frown got deeper. She held off the phone and stared at it. The time was still ticking and it kept moving. Someone was really on the phone. Yuri pressed the phone against her ear again, trying to listen more closely.

“Hello…? Yoomi? Are you there?” Okay, this was getting scary, so she called out again. “Yoomi?? Are you okay??”

Yuri could hear a faint sob, sending a chill to her bone. She was about to hang up when suddenly Yoomi’s voice echoed in her phone.

“Yuri… I…”

She sensed a great relief as she sighed. It was Yoomi after all. But why was she crying?? She rose from her bed, throwing the pillow neck she used. “Yoomi? Why are you crying? Are you okay?”

“I don’t know…. I don’t know…” Yuri replied. She cried heartily and Yuri could imagine her crying non-stop somewhere, alone.

“Calm down, Yoomi. Please calm down a bit and tell me what happened. Where are you now?”

Yoomi inhaled, trying to control herself. “I’m at home now….”

Yuri sighed in relief. She’s home and she’s okay then. “Okay, calm down and tell me what is really happening.”

Yoomi started to cry again. “I just got home… from work… and on the way I saw… I saw Minsoo’s walking with a girl….” Yoomi stopped and Yuri could hear cries. “I… I don’t know…”

Yuri’s heart skipped a beat when she heard Yoomi’s words. She knew?! Oh my God! What will happen now?  Sina and her didn’t have another chance to ask Minsoo what really happened since there was nothing big really going round. Sina already notified her about the scene in the library and waited for something to happen. But nothing really happened. They never spotted Minsoo with a girl or talking to a girl.

They thought the problem might be resolved, although each kept worries in their heart. Yuri, Sina, and Niel were the only person who knew about this. And no matter what kind of conclusions they came up with, nothing really fitted.

“Are you sure that was him?” Yuri tried to convince Yoomi that she might be mistaken—which was near to impossible.

“There’s no way I didn’t recognize him, Yuri. I am positive it was him. He was walking with a girl… and the girl held his arm, the way I always do….”

“Yoomi,” Yuri cut her off, pushing some senses into her. But Yoomi kept on crying. “You don’t know what really happened. Maybe the girl is his cousin, or his sister, or something like that. You have to think positively first.”

“I know…. I just… I never saw him walking with a girl before. He’s always my everything and suddenly he…”

“Do you approach him?” Yuri asked again.

“Of course not!! How can I do that?” Yoomi replied in desperation.

Of course she wouldn’t. Yuri should have known. “What will you do then…?” she quietly asked.

Yuri could hear Yoomi crying. “I don’t know. I don’t know. I don’t know what to do!” she raised her tone, and cried harder.

Hearing the desperation from her friend, Yuri couldn’t help but tearing up as well. They have been friends since they were little and Yoomi always ran to her whenever she had a problem. She knew pretty much that Minsoo meant so much for Yoomi and how much Yoomi treasured Minsoo.

“Yoomi, please stop crying…” Yuri wailed, she could feel her eyes became hotter. “You’re just assuming on things and this might not be as bad as what you think.”

“What if Minsoo cheat on me? What if he falls in love with someone else? What if…”

“Stop it!” Yuri almost screamed. “Stop with your assumptions. There’s no point of doing that. You’re tired and you’re just sad. Now, wash up and go get some rest. We’ll talk about this tomorrow. You can ask Minsoo directly.”

“But I’m scared… what if he really…” Yoomi trailed off. She couldn’t imagine the worst case scenario. That was too heart-breaking.

“Stop assuming. Listen to me, sleep now okay? Promise me!” Yuri insisted.

Yoomi still sobbing when she answered, “I’ll try….”

Then they hung up. But Yoomi couldn’t sleep that night. The more she replayed the scene in her head, she grew more desperate and devastated. She cried and cried and cried.

Right after Yoomi hung up, Yuri gave Sina a quick call. She was annoyed that Yuri bothered her doing her homework but quickly straightened up when Yuri told her about Yoomi’s call. She was about to call Minsoo, but Yuri stopped her, saying that they should talk about this face to face. It would be pointless now. Sina insisted, she didn’t want something unexpected happened tomorrow. But Yuri forced her not to mention this to Minsoo. If Sina called him, he might prepare thousands of reasons and they didn’t want that.

The best way to force the truth was by throwing attack when he’s off guard. And the fact that Minsoo didn’t know Yoomi knew about his ‘walk’ might force the truth out of him. Agreeing on the strategy, Sina complied and decided to play along.