PART 16

Will you be my girl? (나랑 사귈래?)

No need to say that it broke Jaewon’s heart seeing Niel and Sina hugged in front of the café. He’s been watching Sina long enough to know that she liked someone else, but he couldn’t just give up without doing anything. It was a gamble for him. And the result. Well, it broke his heart.

While the group were utterly happy with the result. Yoomi and Yuri smiled happily as they’re thankful they didn’t need to meddle with their problems anymore. Minsoo put his arms in Yoomi’s shoulder and pulled his girlfriend closer. Changhyun and Jonghyun cringed at them, telling them to stop acting lovey-dovey. But Minsoo tightened his hug, even pecked Yoomi’s cheek.

Sina quickly apologized at Jaewon, thankfully Jaewon could accept it. She knew it must be hard for Jaewon and she might hurt him, but there was no way she could reject him without hurting anyone. She had to make a choice, and of course she chose Niel. Niel also bowed and apologized for his attitude earlier. Jaewon only sighed and joined his friends, receiving shoulder pats from them.

They stopped at Han River on their way home. No one wanted to go home earlier after doing full week of examination, especially Minsoo and Yoomi who hadn’t spent some time for them. Obviously, Minsoo and Yoomi separated from the others and walked hand in hand by the river, enjoying the sunset as dusk slowly approaching. The others let them be.

At first, they flocked together, but then Changhyun and Jonghyun walked to the street vendor to buy some snacks. Chanhee wondered why Jonghyun went with Changhyun as he had been avoiding snacks at late hour. As they left, Niel and Sina walked away too. Chanhee stayed with Yuri and Byunghun—who was staring at his phone with serious look in his face. He spent the next hour talking with Yuri—about anything—and tried to talk to Byunghun (but got no proper response so they quit trying), as they watched Niel and Sina walking hand in hand. While Minsoo and Yoomi were nowhere to be seen.

 

“I always want to do this,” Niel mumbled, smiling widely.

“Ahchoo.” Sina sneezed. She tightened her coat and turned to Niel. “What did you say?”

Niel looked at Sina in disbelief. He was trying to be romantic and his girlfriend didn’t act like it at all. “Never mind, noona. Are you cold?”

“This place is always cold at this hour. This is autumn too,” Sina replied.

Niel let go of Sina’s hand and rummaged his bag, until he found the scarf Sina made for him. He wrapped it around Sina’s neck and smiled. “Are you warm now, noona?”

“Waa… you keep this? I thought you throw this away.”

He nodded as if it was a sure thing to do. “Thank you, noona. For staying up late and knit that for me,” he said teasingly.

Sina blushed and punched Niel’s arm. “Yaa, stop that.”

Suddenly, cool breeze blew, sending shivers to both of them. Niel snuggled beside Sina and tried to wrap the scarf around his own neck. Of course he couldn’t do it since the scarf wasn’t long enough for two persons. Sina pushed Niel who was struggling.

“What are you trying to do?”

“I’m cold too, noona,” he whined.

“You should endure it. You’re a man. How could you do that to your girlfriend?” Sina protested.

“But I’m cold. A man felt cold too. Share a bit noona.” Niel tried to repeat his action, only making Sina straggled by the scarf.

Sina pushed Niel away. “Ya! Stop it!”

“But that’s mine. I should have the privilege to wear it too, noona.”

“Ya…! How could you say that? Am I not your girlfriend?”

To conclude that, Niel’s first attempt to be romantic, failed.

 

“Take a look at that stupid couple,” Yuri remarked, watching Niel and Sina started their fight over a scarf and who had the right to wear it.

Byunghun looked up a bit and chuckled. “They really are stupid.” And he resumed staring at his phone.

Bored, Chanhee rose and walked to Changhyun and Jonghyun who watched Niel and Sina from afar. Couldn’t take it anymore, Changhyun ran closer and jumped to the couple while shouting “NOOONAAAA”. Surprised, Niel and Sina almost fell due to Changhyun’s weight.

“Ya! Yoo Changhyun!” Niel scolded, trying to pull down Changhyun from their shoulder. But Changhyun tightened his arm around their neck.

“Changhyun ah! You’re choking me,” Sina wailed.

“I’ve been avoiding noona for weeks for Niel hyung. At least let me do this!” Changhyun protested. “I’m happy that you two be a couple.”

He let out his usual laugh, while tightening his arm. Changhyun was a bit heavier that you ever thought. And even though Niel could lift him, Sina obviously couldn’t do it. And Changhyun was practically hanging on their necks.

“Changhyun, please. Let go.” She felt like her limbs might start tearing. She looked at Jonghyun—who was watching them. “Jonghyun, please save me.”

Jonghyun blinked for a second and a smile appeared on his lips. Sina suddenly got a bad feeling about this. Just before she could react, Jonghyun jumped and shouted, “HUMAN BODY PRESS ATTACK!!”

The result? All of them fell in the ground. Hard. Thankfully Niel’s reflex was pretty good. He moved right in time to protect Sina from hitting directly on the ground. She fell on top of Niel, who groaned in pain. But still, Changhyun and Jonghyun’s weight on her was no joke. She could almost felt her bones broke from the pressure.

People who were watching them, some chuckled or laughed, some just looked at them with weird look on their face.

Changhyun quickly rolled and ran away. While Jonghyun slowly stood up, feeling bad for Sina. Still lying on the ground and holding Sina in his arms, Niel turned to Changhyun who ran away as quickly as he could.

“YA! YOO CHANGHYUN! YOU COME HERE!!” he shouted, and turned to Sina. “Noona, are you okay?”

“Aside from breaking bones, I think I do,” she whined, holding on Jonghyun who’s helping her up.

“YOU!” Now Niel turned to Jonghyun. “Sina noona is a girl, Jonghyun ah!”

“Jweisonghamnida, hyung,” Jonghyun said, having his sorry-not-sorry expression.

Chanhee, who was watching at them, suddenly said, “That look fun. Can you guys do it again? I want to join.”

Sina glared at Chanhee. “Don’t even think about it!” she threatened. “You guys can play human pyramid or whatever you want, just don’t include me on it!”

She had enough of these boys’ rough play. They always were so violent to each other. She always looked at them playing on the sideline and thought it was fun. This was the first time she was involved in it, and she regretted it. Never again. Not ever again.

“No! I don’t want to! I came here to have a date with noona. We can play some other time!” Niel protested, throwing his arms around Sina’s shoulder.

“What are you guys doing?” Minsoo asked, popping out of nowhere. He had his jacket over Yoomi’s shoulder.

“Hyung!” Changhyun ran to his hyung and hid behind his back. “Please, save me!”

“Yoo changhyun! You! Come here!” Niel shouted again as he went into the circle.

Unexpectedly, Minsoo kicked Changhyun’s and said, “Ya, grow up already.”

CHanghyun opened his mouth in disbelief. “Hyung? What was that for?!”

The others laughed seeing this. There was no way Minsoo would take Changhyun’s side and it was fun bullying him anyway.

“That’s what you got for playing pranks!” Jonghyun said.

“Ya! You too!” scolded Niel, giving him flying kick.

 

“Byunghun ah, do you want to join them?” asked Yuri. She wanted to join the others, but she couldn’t leave Byunghun alone either.

Byunghun sighed, looked up. “You can join them if you want to. I’m staying here.”

Yuri paused. Joining them and leave him? “I’ll stay.”

Although he didn’t look like it, his lips curled into a smile. Actually he didn’t want to be alone right now. And Yuri’s preference of staying made him a bit happy.

Yuri’s eyes didn’t leave the groups—who were playing by the river—and after she felt more envious not to join them, she looked at Byunghun—who was fixed on his phone.

“What’s wrong with your phone, anyway? You’ve been busy texting since we left the café,” she finally said.

“Uhh… There is a problem…” he muttered. “She’s coming….”

Yuri frowned. “Who’s coming?”