PART 13

Will you be my girl? (나랑 사귈래?)

The next day was a gloomy day for Sina. Not just because she had to stay in bed because she’s burning up—actually she’s glad she didn’t have to come to school that day—nor because it rained hard outside—which she actually fond of. Rather, it was because every time she remembered Niel’s look that day, her tears started rolling down her cheeks. Feeling desperate and extremely exhausted, she rolled in bed, staring at the traces of water in the window. She pulled the blanket over her head, ketting her eyes become blurry of tears.

Hours passed slowly, she looked at her phone and checked on the messages from her friends. Each of them sent messages, mostly telling ‘get well soon’ and things similar to that. She chuckled reading Changhyun’s message as he attached his stupid selca with Jonghyun. They must have finished today’s school, though Sina, wondering if any of them would stop by.

Someone knocked her door and her mother peeked inside.

“Your friend is here, Sina,” she said.

Sina looked at her mother puzzling. “My friend?” No one said anything about visiting her today.

Her mother opened the door wider and stepped in with Niel. Sina rounded her eyes in surprise. She wouldn’t expect Niel would come here. Not with what happened yesterday.

“He hasn’t come here right? I have never seen him before,” her mother said. “what’s your name, young man?”

“Ahn Daniel, ma’am,” Niel nervously replied.

“Oh, a fine young man. I would want a son like you. My only son is so… hmm… how do I put it… he is so full of himself.”

“Eomma, stop it,” Sina wailed.

Things had been awkward for them. Now her mother’s trying to worsen things. Sina looked at her mother with certain look. As if reminded, Sina’s mother laughed shyly.

“Make yourself at home, Niel. I’ll go make some tea for you. Oh, and I’ll leave the door open.”

Niel muttered thank you and stood stiffly, waiting for Sina to actually say something. The truth is, Sina didn’t want to talk to him. Her heart still felt her love for Niel and it was hard for her to actually look at him. Trying to be indifferent, Sina straightened her position and leaned on the bedhead. Her head still spun due to her temperature.

“Pull some of those pillows and have a seat,” she said, pointing at piles of seat pillow in one of the corner.

Niel did what Sina told him happily. He thought Sina would tell him to scram. But he remembered, Sina wasn’t like that.

“My mum was talking about my little brother, Changhyun and Jonghyun’s friend since they are in elementary school,” Sina said, not knowing what to talk about.

Niel nodded. “They came here a lot?”

“Umm… kind of. To the point that my father started lecturing him whenever they visited my brother.”

Since the beginning, Niel envied Changhyun and Jonghyun who was very close to Sina. They already knew each other since in elementary school. No wonder they treated Sina like her own sister. Knowing this, Niel still felt jealousy whenever they stuck together.

They fell silent again. They could only hear faint music sound from Sina’s music player. They had spent some time in silence like this, but never felt this awkward. They were always comfortable around each other, even in complete silence. But today, everything felt different. Sina couldn’t stop wondering when would her mum come and bring the tea. Now she wished her mother would stay a bit longer.

“How’s your condition, noona?” Niel asked.

“Hmm… a bit better,” Sina answered. Her heart ached a bit when she sensed caring tone in Niel’s voice. Not to mention the way he looked at her now.

Niel opened his mouth to say something, but Sina’s mother came into the room, bringing a tray containing two cups of tea and cakes. Niel rose from his seat and quickly helped her with the tray. Sina couldn’t help but smile for this. This was one of the reasons why she fell for him. He was totally good-mannered young man.

He would be a perfect boyfriend, Sina thought. If only he doesn’t already fall for someone.

“Omo omo omo. Thank you so much, Niel ssi,” her mother said.

As Niel put down the tray in a small table in the room, her mother sat down next to her. Sina felt grateful for this, if not only for the next sentence her mother said.

“So, are you her boyfriend? She kept things for me such as having a lovely boyfriend like you?”

She quickly regretted wishing her mother would be here. “Anieyo, eomma,” she said. “He’s my junior at school.”

Niel’s heart pained hearing quick answer from Sina. At least he wanted Sina to stutter or hesitate when answering this.

“Oh, really? Too bad. I want a son like him.”

Niel laughed awkwardly, trying to cover his flushed cheeks.

“Do you know anything about the boy my daughter fell in love with, then?” Sina’s mother didn’t stop there. Ignoring Sina’s surprise look, she kept speaking. “You see, recently she always went home with this cute smile. A smile I never saw before. She learns how to knit and stays up late every night to finish the scarf she made. She also tries hard on cooking more foods. I wonder what this kid look like….”

Niel rounded his eyes while listening. Did he hear right? Sina fell in love?

“Eomma… stop…” Sina started to whine, but her mother wouldn’t listen.

“But yesterday… she suddenly went home drenched wet while and crying. She kept crying and won’t tell us why.”

Sina tagged her mother’s clothes. “Eomma… please stop.”

“Oh my God, I must be bothering you two. I’ll go down now.” She turned to Niel. “Call me if you need anything, dear. Enjoy the tea and the cake.”

Sina sighed in relief when her mother went out of the room. Another silence ensued. Because of what her mother said, she couldn’t stop thinking about the paper bag she threw to Niel yesterday. He said nothing about that, he must had thrown it away without even looking what’s inside.

As Sina cast her gaze outside, she saw the rain had lifted. Suddenly, a song from a group of six boys who just made their comeback recently played from her music player. After English part from one of the rapper, there came the first verse. And the lyrics totally made them more awkward. They accidentally looked at each other in the eye and blushed—and it was obvious. Sina couldn’t stop her heart from racing. She glanced at Niel on the last line from the first verse and blushed heavily.

I should stop this!!!

“Uhh… I think… I should change the song. It’s… uuhhh…” she muttered while searching everywhere for the remote control, but she couldn’t find it.

Niel—who blushed too—looked around, but saw nothing. He knew this song too, and he glanced to Sina whenever refrain part played. He clearly remembered their ‘date’ that day. Indeed a beautiful day. He agreed on whatever the singer sang about the girl he loved.

The song suddenly stopped, Sina had found the remote control. She looked relief and bent forward to take her cup of tea. Niel was quicker. He took it and handed it to Sina, who was surprised.

“Oh, thank you,” she quietly said while sipping the tea. “You should drink yours. My mother makes the best tea in the world.”

Niel sat down, now closer to Sina—she could feel her heart beat faster, and wishing Niel would move from his seat, but he didn’t—and took his own cup.

“Noona…”

A song could be heard from Niel’s pocket. With a sigh of disappointment, he took it from his pocket and slide the screen.

“Yoo Changhyun. What happen?”

“Give the phone to Sina noona! Hurry!” Changhyun screamed the moment Niel put the phone in his ear.

Niel rolled his eyes, they said they would help him get Sina’s love. But they kept bothering him doing his moves, especially this kid. What the hell did they want?! He handed the phone to Sina, who looked back at him, confused.

“Changhyun,” he said, irritated.

Sina’s expression changed. She took the phone and put it in her ear. “Changhyun-ah! Don’t worry, I’m okay. Yes, I think I can go to school tomorrow. Do you want kimbab? No? Okay. Later when I recovered, I’ll make tons for you. Promise.”

Niel gazed at Sina with jealousy raging in his heart. She never talked to her with that tone. She never made a promise for making food. She never smiled happily like now.

“Here. He wants to talk with you,” Sina said, giving the phone back to Niel.

“Hyung! Come to the diner we always gather,” said Changhyun as soon as he listened.

“But I…” Niel glanced at Sina—who was looking at him too. He was about to say, he wanted to stay with Sina a bit longer, but he couldn’t. “Okay.”

Changhyun hung up, without even saying goodbye.

“Noona… I need to go. They said they need me…” said Niel quietly, hoping that Sina would say something to prevent him from going home.

But Sina said nothing, she only nodded. Truthfully? Both happy and sad. Happy that she wouldn’t have to see his face. Sad that she wanted to stay with him more.

Niel rose from his seat and touched Sina’s forehead with his palm. Sina didn’t have the time to react, the moment she came to her senses, Niel had pulled away and gave her a smile—a smile she really loved.

“It’s still a bit warm, noona. Have a good rest and don’t forget to drink your medicine.”

Sina only nodded, as she was too dumb-founded and couldn’t think of any other proper respond. Niel leaned closer and kissed Sina’s forehead. This was most unexpected. Before she could react, Niel walked fast to the door, waved, and disappeared behind the door he closed.

Sina slumped in her bed, hand shaking badly, heart racing, face blushing, and most of all she could feel her temperature rose. She raised her hand and touched her own forehead, still feeling the after-effect of the kiss.

Why did he do that?!

She could hear the front door opened, some conversations, and front door closing. Couldn’t stop herself, she peeked out of the window and just right at the moment Niel turned to look at her window. They locked eyes before finally Niel waved with a smile in his face. Automatically, Sina waved back. She hadn’t forgotten. And she never forgot that day and that kiss.