Chapter 13

Baby Daddy

Hyukjae’s POV

I spent the next week settling in. Donghae called the next day but I was busy washing the baby to pick up.  He called again later that night to see if I wanted to go out for dinner, but I declined. I was too tired and I didn’t want to be separated from the baby.

I needed to go back to my old schedule. I decided the first thing I should do is forget about Donghae. The only possible way was to call Siwon.

We spoke for an hour, I filled him in on everything, excluding the shopping trip with Donghae.

Siwon helped me clear my mind but I knew there was only one thing that would really work.

I needed to dance.

I called Amber and asked her if I could make use of her music and she said go for it.

I let the music take over me and only stopped when I heard the baby crying. I rushed over to him and realised he needed cleaning. I washed him up, then cleaned myself too.

The doorbell rang and it was the delivery men with the order from baby’s are us. I was never really hands on so all the screws and bolts looked the same to me hell, the instruction sheet was only in Chinese.

Feeling hopeless I called Amber and asked her if she could help. She immediately agreed, informing me help was on its way.

What she failed to inform me was help came in the form of Lee Donghae, the man I’d been trying my hardest to forget for the last week.

Donghae arrived, wearing trackies and a white wife beater. Couldn’t this man wear a shirt? When I asked him he shrugged and told me he’d been playing basketball with Henry when Amber had called. Apparently he’d only had time to pick up his tools, which were in a canvas bag but not a shirt before he came over.

He went and played with the baby before he turned his full attention to the crib.

"Something smells good," he said.

"I made pasta earlier."

"Is there any left? I'm starving."

I laughed at his pitiful expression. "I'll heat up a plate."

"While you do that, I'll work on the crib."

"Thanks. I laid out all the pieces according to the diagram, but without the directions in—

"No need for directions." Donghae glanced at the diagram briefly, tossed it aside, and began sorting through the painted wood pieces.

 "This is pretty simple."

"Simple? You must be joking look at all the screws in that plastic bag?"

"We'll figure it out." He opened the canvas bag and pulled out a cordless power drill.

I frowned. "Do you know that 47% of all hand injuries are caused by using power tools at home?"

Donghae expertly inserted a drill bit into the chuck. "A lot of people get hurt getting their hand closed in the door, too. But that doesn't mean you should stop using doors."

"If the baby starts crying because of the noise," I said sternly, "you'll have to use a regular screwdriver."

His brows lifted. "Doesn't Siwon use power tools?"  

How was that relevant?

“I don’t know, the situation never really came up.”

Donghae fixed the crib while I fixed him a plate.

He took a break to eat. I sat next to him fiddling with one of the screws when suddenly I felt Donghae staring at me.  I turned to ask what’s wrong when he began leaning in.

OMG was he going to kiss me!? YAH HYUKJAE remember he’s not gay.

I closed my eyes when his face was barely an inch away from my face. Why was I so nervous?! I felt his fingers brush against my face. Frowning I opened my eyes. He was looking at his fingers.

“There was sauce on your face” I touched my face, feeling the blood rush up to it.  Why was my heart beating so fast? Aigooo, so embarrassing.

"This is great. What else can you cook?"

"Just the basics. A few casseroles, rice, stew. I can roast a chicken."

"Can you do Kimchi?"

"Yep."

"Marry me, Hyukjae."

I rolled my eyes at him, I knew he was joking, that bastard. 

“Sure, sure” I replied.

After dinner, Donghae was back on the floor, putting together the crib.

He was good with his hands, confident and capable. I had to admit, I enjoyed watching him kneel in front of the wooden frame, his body athletic and superbly conditioned. I sat nearby with a glass of wine and handed screws to him.

Every now and then he got close enough that I caught the scent of him and every time I almost died.

~.~