Chapter 1

Baby Daddy

Hyukjae POV

ring ring... ring ring...

“Hyukjae, that’s the 5th time she’s called are you ever going to pick it up?” Siwon inquired.

I stopped chopping the carrots and glanced up at the caller ID. I’d recognise that number in a heartbeat, it always meant trouble.

Reluctantly I picked up the phone and tried to compose myself.

“Hello mum.”

“YAH Hyukjae, phones were made to be picked up! What kind of son ignores his own mothers calls? Huh? Do you realise how much I gave up raising you? You know I was in my prime when I was pregnant with you! Is this how you repay me?!”

“Mum, you know how sorry I am about that, was there any particular reason why you called?” I silently prayed she’d called only because she had no one else to complain to.

“Well, Hyukie, the thing is, your sister came to visit... she also bought someone with her...”

“ A new boyfriend?” I swear if mum had called to gossip about Jessica’s taste in men...

“No, a baby.”

~.~

“Hyukkie, baby you don’t have to go,” Siwon was trying to make me stay but there was no way in hell I would allow my crazy mother to look after another child. I removed his hands from my waist, I needed to pack as fast as I could.

“You know I need to go save that baby from my mum.”

I felt Siwon stiffen. I turned to look at him. He looked perplexed his eyebrows furrowing deeply.

“Hyuk, you know you can’t bring him here. You know how I feel about kids. Whatever it is you need to do, take care of it before you return.”

“Siwon are you breaking up with me?”  I asked.

“Babe, you know how I feel about labels. If you wish to see other people while you’re down at your mums, feel free. I’m not holding you back.”

A little shocked I tried to remain calm. “Does that mean you’ll be seeing other people while I’m gone?”

“Hyuk you make it sound like we’re exclusive.”

Saying that he walked out and left me alone to pack for my long drive ahead.

~.~

Hiii! This is Jessica, you know what to do after the be—

I quickly hung up, Jessica had either gone completely off grid or she was ignoring my calls. I couldn’t possibly understand why she would have left someone as precious as her baby in the hands of our mother.

To be honest I’m not entirely surprised Jess showed up with a baby, I had expected it to occur sooner. Our disturbing childhood had led Jessica to seek comfort in the arms of men while I became insecure and remained forever alone. Well, that was up until I met Siwon.

Siwon and I live together in a cozy apartment, we’ve been together for 3 years, since he asked me out in college. I was really shocked because he was the perfect student and he had chosen me. Siwon was rich, handsome, and the president of the student body. His uality was a surprise too, no one expected him to be gay, many hearts were broken.

Siwon is one of the only people I’d opened up too, he helped me trust people.

But not even Siwon knew everything.

~.~

I rang the doorbell, it was only 6 pm, 4 hours after mum had called, she couldn’t have possibly caused the baby any harm just yet. Hell, I actually wouldn’t put it past her.

“Oh, Hyukjae thank GAWD you are here! What took you so long?”

I stared at her blankly. It had been almost a whole year since I’d seen her last and all she could do was scold me.

She looked distracted, continuously peering over my shoulder.

“Is someone else coming tonight?” I inquired.

She looked at me, like she had forgotten I was standing right in front of her.

“What? Oh, well yes,” she blushed “I have a date tonight, a handsome young thing... now that I think about it he’s not much older than Jess, only a few years... speaking of, Hyukjae you need to take that baby away. He’s been crying all day and I just managed to get him to sleep. Make sure you take him away before 11, tonight, Taecyeon and I are coming back here after our date and well I don’t want him to see the baby and find out I’m a grandma. You know the age difference might become more obvious.”

I couldn’t even form a proper response when I heard a motorcycle pull up to the driveway. My mother schooled her face to her most ‘seductive’ as she waved at the gangsta on the bike. She turned to me and whispered, “Take it away from here.” She threw me a key and strutted over to the bikie and somehow jumped on the back.

Without a backward glance I climbed the stair and turned into my childhood bed room.

There he was.

They boy was wrapped tightly in a blanket and he was snuggling into the pillow placed around him. His face was red, probably from all the alleged crying and he looked about a fortnight old.

Sitting on the bedside table was a crumpled note.

Opening it I recognised Jessica’s scrawny handwriting and the haste in which she’d written the note was clear.

Mum, I need to get away. Look after him for me? If not call Hyukkie, he’ll know what to do, he always does.

Don’t try and contact me, I need to be alone.

That was it. No explanation, no apologies.

Sighing I looked around and in the corner of the room there was a baby bag and a bucket seat. Wanting to leave this terrible house which was filled with terrible memories I quickly placed the baby in the seat and carried him and his bag into my car.  A few minutes later I parked my car at the local motel. I ordered my standard room but requested for extra pillows. I looked at the boy sleeping peacefully next to me as I felt my own eyes drift to a close.

~.~