When Two Strangers Meet

Love's Fury

Sitting high above the clouds thousands of feet away from the ground sat a boy starting a new life. His parents told him what he was going to study, where he was going to study, and how he shall live his life in this new country. They have been teaching him Korean for many years because he had to follow this life plan they had made for him since before he was born. Why would he dare defy his parents and go to South Korea and make friends? Although he wanted to do that, his parents wouldn’t allow such nonsense.

“Mr. Luhan,” a flight attendant said softly. “This is a gift from your mother. She caused quite a fuss at the gates to make sure we brought this to you.”

“I’m sorry she did that. Thank you for delivering this to me.”

            Luhan took the white envelope in his hands and tore it open silently. Of course his mother would have to have the final word before he begins his new life. Inside was a pink piece of writing paper that smelt of his mother’s favorite perfume and had black ink covering it in delicate hand writing. Behind that was a few thousand won, enough to last Luhan about a week or so. The piece of paper read:

“My dearest Luhan! I am so proud to see you finally off to college. You truly are making your father and I proud. We are 100% sure you will do your absolute best in school. Remember, try to be top of your class. Raising a smart boy is what I have aimed to do. Do not disappoint me and prove otherwise. Now remember why you are going here. This is not some fun vacation that requires a bit of work. It is college. There will be no parties, no making friends that distract you from studying, and NO falling in love. When you return, your father and I will have the most beautiful and intelligent Chinese bride waiting for you. Best wishes my Luhannie. Xoxo – Mama”

            This sounded like typical Mama to Luhan. She always wanted every detail of her son’s life to be the way she wanted. Maybe karma has worked in the worst of ways for her. After all her son isn’t at all what she wants him to be. When Luhan turned seventeen, he realized that he didn’t like women. After many girls requested to date Luhan in high school, he never found himself attracted to them. However, a young male science teacher always made Luhan’s heart race. It wasn’t a feeling of love, but just extreme admiration. Luhan was gay, and when he went to tell his parents, a news report came on about how America is working on legalizing gay marriage. His father said he wanted nothing to do with men who “are like that”. So much for that…

            Luhan tugged down on his shirt sleeves and rested his head against the small plane window. Now that he’s out from under their spell, the feeling of freedom grew in his body. His parents aren’t going to know about every detail in his life since they can’t see him. Maybe going to college is the best thing to happen. There was only one way to find out, and Luhan couldn’t wait to see.

[][][][][][][][][][]

            A smell of new carpets clenched onto the air tight. Freshly painted white walls, new kitchen appliances, and a view of Daejeon that was worth thousands of dollars presented itself before the new college student. There was no furniture which did seem a little odd. He saw a letter on the marble countertop in the kitchen. Was this for him or his room-mate who has yet to show up? After examining it for some time, he realized that it was for him.

“Sehun what an honor it is to get the time to write to you. My name is Qiao Xiu, your new roommate’s mother. I have taken the time to buy both you and my son some new kitchen appliances as it was not up to my standards beforehand. This school year is going to be very hard as you are only a freshman, and a young one at that! Please work hard. Luhan, your new roommate, will be very shy as he is not from this country. Show him how South Korea works! Now let’s keep this between me and you. I made sure my son was with someone who is not very ‘popular’ if you will. My background checks of you have shown me that you are a very quiet boy who has not done much with other people. However your appearance is questionable. I’m afraid my son will be scared of someone who is covered in piercings and tattoos like you are. And maybe that’s a good thing. Make sure my Luhan does not make many friends who will stop him from school work. And NO girlfriends either. My husband would not allow him to date a Korean woman. Here is money to purchase furniture for the apartment. Study hard! – Qiao Xiu”

            Sehun crumpled the letter and shoved it deep into his jean pocket. He’s not used to having a mother who is down his throat every step of the way. In fact, he’s almost forgotten what it’s like to have a mother. She was killed when he was only fourteen, just three years ago. Killed isn’t the best word for what happened. Sehun’s father murdered her after one of his violent outrages. He was an abusive man, always beating on everyone who did wrong to him. As far as Sehun knew, it was normal to get punched repeatedly for failing a test or missing curfew. Maybe his mother was beaten frequently because she forgot to wash dishes or something. Sehun had no idea, but to him, that was normal.

            After walking around the apartment one more time, the door opened quietly. In stepped someone who froze Sehun in his place. It was a boy, probably a few years older than him. His skin was pale like porcelain with light brown hair lying gently on his head. A round face and huge round eyes sat perfectly placed on his face. Sehun has never seen someone as beautiful as this person. This has to be Luhan, the son of some over-protective mother.

“N-ni hao,” Sehun spoke still staring into the eyes of such beauty.

“Annyeonghaseyo,” Luhan smiled back. “Don’t worry I speak Korean!”

“T-that’s great! Um…how was your flight? Are you hungry? We can always grab something to eat.”

            Sehun was letting words just spill out his mouth.  His brain wasn’t functioning right now and he knew exactly why. Luhan was the first male he has seen that he’s actually been attracted to merely off of looks. He’s been trying to figure out if he is gay or straight or even bi-ual for a few months now. If he had to make any decision right now, he’s definitely gay. A large boom of Luhan’s suitcase crashing to the floor snapped Sehun back into reality.

“Oh gosh sorry I’m not even paying attention to you struggling to get in. Here let me get that for you.”

“Don’t worry about it,” Luhan giggled picking it up off the floor. “You seem nervous. I won’t bite I swear!”

“O-oh I’m not nervous! Just not used to living with someone,” Sehun said all too quickly.

“You’re not?” Luhan looked concerned. “But you’re only what, 18?”

            Now he would have to explain himself. Explain his life’s troubles and how he fears his father. Why his arm is filled with dark tattoos and why his lips are pierced with black studs. Or why when he gets frustrated he gets violent just like the man who raised him. It’s not exactly the first conversation he wants to have with his new roommate, or should he say crush. Pretending like he didn’t hear, Sehun passed Luhan the money his mother had left for decorating.  This should be the perfect distraction.

“This is some money your mother left to decorate the apartment. Maybe we can go and pick some things out.”

“That’s a really great idea, um… I’m sorry what’s your name,” he shyly asked.

“Oh right! My name is Oh Se Hun.”

“Nice to meet you Sehun! I’m Lu Han.”