Everglow

Soosica's : Random Songs One-Shot Collection

It's Coldplay's Everglow

This might get a bit confusing. Tell me what you think :)

 


 

I watch her closely, feeling her stable breaths brushing lightly against my chest. I study every bit of her complexion, how her eyes calmly shut tight and how her hair covers her ear. I slowly sweep and tuck them behind her ear.

She snuggles closer to me and tightens her hug around my waist. She rubs her cheek against my chest with a slow hum as she falls deeper into her slumber.

That made me smile like a fool.

 

I run my fingers softly through her hair and rest my head against hers.

 

‘I love you. More than the world and its promises or the Heaven and all its rewards.

More than everything. I love you.’

One day, I shall tell her those words myself. I promise.

 

I smile when I remembered how we were always together.

 

Ever since the first moment of our existence as the Beings of Light, we’ve always been together.

Jessica and Summer. (Gabriel would call us ‘Hope’ and ‘Sunshine’ for his own reasons.)

 

We were inseparable - never one without the other.

 

But we are like the two unlike poles that are fascinatingly attracted to each other.  Jessica has always been the more curious one while I am the most obedient of all. She would ask questions that I never even dare to wonder. When we were given orders, she would ask for options when I would just take note about how it should end. But at the end of each day, we would always bring hope and happiness to others through so many different ways just as they were assigned to us.

Above all the questions that she would ask, she has always been most curious about Love, and as usual, I never took her seriously.

I guess it was my fault when I underestimated her curiosity. Who could’ve thought that she would dare to meet the Creator and demanded for a chance to Feel and Love? And, to make things worse, who could’ve thought that she would dare to go through Life just to do it?

 

She has always been so hasty and full of surprises.

And I’ve always been so scared of changes.

 

When she did that and God decided to give her what she asked for, I was left behind all on my own, something that have never happened before, and instantaneously, I felt lost. I was torn between continuing my duty without her and choosing to be with her.

When I was forced to decide, I took the latter and God gave me the same chance.

But with a totally different price to pay.

While she is sent to Earth as a human, I remained as an angel. While she has the chance to feel and love freely, I am bound to Feel but never Love - not until she returns to Heaven. While I was promised with Heaven, she was free to make her own choices in Life – either Heaven or Hell.

 

I still remember the day she was looking over Earth before she was sent down to start her day as a mortal. I remember how the sunshine greeted her skin and how she shimmered in her own glow. I remember the look she had on her face when she turned around to look at me as I was standing silently a few steps behind her, just mesmerized by her beauty. I never realized how beautiful she is until then. Maybe this is Emotions and Love starting to work their effects on me. She was oblivious that God has already given me Emotions to deal with and Love to savor, so I decided to keep that fact to myself. She didn’t know that I met Him right after her and about the curse that has been put on me.

 

I still remember how she looked and what she said.

She said,

“Summer, I will be sent down to Earth soon.”

I told her that I knew. I took a few steps to stand beside her and stare into the beautiful constellation – but never as celestial as she is.

“It will be the first time I will ever live a day without you by my side.”

I kept quiet.

“And somehow, I feel… nervous.”

I caught a glimpse of her awkward smile from the tail of my eye.

 

“Don’t worry,” I tried to assure her, “you’ll be okay. You’ll find the Love that you need there, and It shall keep you safe and happy.”

I could feel her eyes staring at me. I heard a chortle, so I looked at her. She resumed her stare at the wondrous bed of stars with an unexplainable smile on her face.

 

“Somehow, I don’t think I will find it there.”

 

Eyebrows raised, head tilted, I tried to catch her expression. “Why? Isn’t that the main reason why you want to be on Earth?”

“Um.

 

 

 

 

You know how one would roam the whole realms in search of what they need, and return Home to find it?”

I told her I heard.

“I think I already found mine right here.” She looked at me. And for the first time in my entire existence, I felt my heart skipping its beat. I wasn’t sure why but I managed to keep my calm and asked,

“Then why do you have to go on Earth? You can just stay here with…

 

… your Love.”

 

She smiled again.

“Well,” she sighed, “I guess I am sent down to Earth only to know how true it is. And surely, Love comes with a price to pay.”

“But you won’t remember anything once you are there,” I stated. A part of me was still wondering who was Her Love, another part of me wished it was me - somehow. I wished it was me. Somehow.

 Just like any other humans on Earth who are stuck in Life, they will forget their Promise to God once they are born. It is meant to be a test for them that they have agreed upon, just like Jessica. They will be reminded of their promises through signs and directions but they will only remember everything once they enter the Afterlife.

“What if you forget who your Love is?

 

What if you realized that it wasn’t really the One?

 

What happens then?” I threw the questions into the space – curious, but more than that, worried.

 

She gave me a long stare that made me nervous.

“I’m curious. That’s all,” I was quick enough to throw an excuse and avoided her gaze.

 

She stared back into the heavenly void and said,

“Gabriel told me that a heart never forgets and Love never fades. I guess I’ll find out.”

 

“And I’ll wait for you to come Home,” I accidentally blurted. I cleared my throat before continuing, “and tell me all about it with your Love beside you.”

 

 

I heard she scoffed.

“Um. I-“

She halted her speech when she heard another angel calling for her as the Heavenly Gates were finally opened.

We stared into each other before she dropped her gaze and walked away from me and towards them.

 

I stood there, frozen, staring at her back as she walked further and further into the gate.

 

To my surprise, she stopped and looked back at me for the last time and said,

 

“I’ll see you again, my Love.”

 

And just like that, my angel was sent down to Earth, leaving me alone in Heaven. Never have I ever thought that the divine Heaven could feel so empty.

Without her.

Beside me.

How come everything moved on? How come clocks don’t slow? When it feels like the end of my world.

 

 

I am snapped back to the reality when she nestled closer to me.

I pull her closer and her hair.

When I should but can’t let her go.

 

“I’m here, my Love. I’m right here beside you,” I spoke lowly.

 

What I wouldn't give for just a moment to hold

I live for this feeling, this everglow

 

For her, I’ll wait a lifetime.

 

So if you love someone, you should let them know

The light that you left me will everglow

 

For her, I would sacrifice mine.

 


 

This is actually an extra chapter from Gravity

So, if you're curious/confused, you might want to read the foreword and Chapter 1 (or 2) of the story

 

What do you think? :)