Chapter 02

I’ll make you fall for me again

Dara's POV

 

“SURPRISE!”

I was stunned when I saw the surprise Jiyong just told me about. I never expect her to show up. The girl ran towards me, her arms wrapping me to a tight hug.

“I missed you, Ssantoki!” She told me, smiling cheekily. “Surprised?”

“Bom…Bommie!” I said slowly. I can’t believe she’s here!

She stood straight, pouting childishly. “I waited in Jiyong’s car for so long just to surprise you and all you managed to say is my name? Ya! Do you want me to just go back to States again?” She looked hurt. I chuckled. She’s really a drama queen.

I then hugged her tight, startling her, but she soon hugged me back. “Ahhh…Bommie, I missed you too! Since when did you arrive? Why didn’t you tell me about it? I should have fetched you at the airport.”

“Pabo! If I tell you, it wouldn’t be a surprise, would it? Anyway, I arrived today. I went straight here to see you.”

“Aissshhh.” I smiled, feeling touched. Oh, how I miss this crazy girl. We were laughing heartily together when we suddenly heard someone clearing his throat.

“Ehemmm. Am I forgotten here or what?” Jiyong said while wearing a hurt expression.

“Oh, come here oppa! Group hug!” Bom said, almost jumping from too much joy.

 


 

“Are you staying here for good?” I asked while munching some strawberry cake. The three of us are now eating snacks in the veranda. Please say yes, Bommie.

“Well, that would depend on my grades.” Bom answered. 

“Grades? What do you mean?” I asked curiously. 

 “Appa and Omma are so busy with the company, you know, with the global recession and all. So I rarely see them and that upsets me so much. I told them I better stay here so that I can at least stay with you. We had a very long discussion I tell you. Oh! If you have just witnessed it Dara, I tried to convince them almost every day! They finally let me continue my studies here…. but in one condition.”

“What condition? That must be a really serious one since Uncle and Auntie are so strict. I actually still can’t believe they let you travel here alone. Much more stay here.” I said knowingly. 

“Oh Ssantoki! About the condition, you’re gonna help me right?” She held my hand, eagerly waiting for my reply. “Because if I won’t be able to do it, I’ll have to go back there next year.”

“Of course!” I replied instantly. I would not let the opportunity to be with my bestfriend slash cousin pass just like that. "What's this condition they gave you?"

“Well, I just need to be at the top three of the class.” She said confidently.

I almost spit out the juice I was drinking. I saw Bom glaring at me and Jiyong suppressing his laughter on my side.

“Ya! What kind of reaction is that?” Bom asked irritatingly.

“You make it sound like it’s so easy for you to be on the top three.” I said while biting my lower lip. I’m just controlling myself from laughing so hard cause I don’t want to upset her. Ever since we were children, we all knew how…hhmmm.. let’s just say she’s better with other things than studying. I don’t mean to be conceited or something but… I’m already smart but I don’t even reach the top three of our class. I ranked fourth so I’m guessing it’ll be hard for her to win against her parents. I now understand why Uncle and Auntie gave her that condition. Ahhh.. they’re really clever.

“Okay. That’s it! I’m leaving. I’m flying back to US this instant.” She threatened to leave as she started getting her things on the table.

Her words made me want to smack my own head. Bom’s kinda sensitive and I know she’s dead serious about going back. I looked at Jiyong, trying to send mental messages to help me out.

“I’ll help you.” Jiyong suddenly said.

I beamed upon hearing his words. Okay, that was totally unexpected. Thanks, Jiyong! I mouthed. I smiled widely at him but he just winked at me.

“Oh. Really? Well, that’s even better. You’re the valedictorian of your class, right?” Bom grinned.

“Candidate for valedictorian.” I corrected. Bom looked at me curiously while Jiyong stared at me, shock written all over his face. “Well…you see…ahhmm…I heard” I paused, my throat suddenly went dry. “Lee Donghae’s a candidate, too.” I continued. Gosh! I can’t look at Jiyong. Why is he suddenly staring strangely?

“Anyway, since our dearest Jiyong said he’ll help you out… hmmm… I’m sure you’re…you are… ahhh… you’re gonna be in the top three of our class.” I tried saying it cheerily but ended up sounding really awkward. Why am I stuttering? Dara, think of something to say. I mentally slapped my face.

*Crickets

*Crickets

 Ahhhh…ottoke. The atmosphere’s suddenly gone awkward. “Ahhh…right, Bom?” I looked at her, urging her to just go with the flow. But she just looked blankly at me. Oh, damn. I don’t like that look.

“Who’s Lee Donghae?” She blurted out. Oh shoot! Bom-ah! Why are you so uncooperative today? Okay, Dara. Think, think, think of an escape. Jiyong’s suspicious stare is making me so uncomfortable, I feel fidgety.

“Ms. Dara.” I heard someone called. Oh heavens, thank you for sending someone right in time!

 “I’m sorry to interrupt...” Oh no! You’re not interrupting! “..but you have a phone call.” Our maid finished, looking sorry.

“Oh really? I’ll take it. Kamsahamnida, Hoori.” I said excitedly, sounding relieved. I looked at my two friends, excusing myself. Bom’s looking at me, creasing her brows while Jiyong’s looking somewhere in deep thought.

I suddenly left and went back again after 10 minutes or so. I could hear Bom and Jiyong’s laughter on my way but they stopped laughing when they saw me. “What’s going on?” I asked.

“Oh, nothing. Oppa is just updating me with things. He also told me some interesting things about your school.” Bom replied, smiling widely.

“I see.” I said while glancing at Jiyong who’s gone quiet. What's up with this guy? “When do you plan to go to school by the way?” I looked back to Bom.

“Tomorrow.”

“Arasso.” I smiled warmly.

“By the way Dara, I’m planning to stay here at your mansion. Can you help me tell Uncle? I don't want to live alone in the hotel or in our rest house. I’m not sure if Appa had told Uncle about my sudden arrival.”

“No worries. You know Appa cannot say no to me. Consider it done.” I winked at her. “You can stay at the room across mine.”

She just giggled. Oh boy, I wonder what’s gonna happen at school now that Bom’s around.

 

 


 

 “So..” Bom started while sitting on my bed. I was seated near the dresser, checking myself in the mirror while busily putting my facial mask. “Who’s this Donghae you talked about? I don’t remember you mentioning his name before.” I flinched upon hearing his name.

“Nah… he’s just someone I know from school. He’s a classmate of Jiyong.” I answered almost instantly. My voice went one notch higher. Oopss. I just gave myself away, didn’t I?

“Oh puh-leeze! You can’t hide anything from me, Dara. I know you’re expressions very well. You like this Donghae, don’t you?” She said accusingly.

“How can you say that?” I walked near her and later sat beside her.

“Well, for one, you never mentioned any guy’s name before. Second, you dare tell his name even if you know Jiyong oppa might be offended.” She lectured. 

“He’s offended?”

“I think he was.”

“Mwo? It’s not like I said something against him.” I thoughtfully said.

“Dara, you somehow crashed his ego. You know how important pride is for men. Among all of his closest friends, I’m so sure he believes you have the biggest faith that he’ll be the class valedictorian. But you sounded like you were doubting that. Worse, you even mentioned his rival’s name as if you like him. It’s too obvious in your voice so don’t even dare hide it from me.”

“Ara…arasso.” I felt bad as I realize how I could have offended Jiyong. Should I apologize then?

“No. I don’t think apologizing is necessary. You know oppa, he’ll get over it.” She suddenly said. Did I just say my thoughts aloud?

Bom just gave me an incredulous look. “So, about Donghae-ssi...”

I know she wouldn’t let me just do away with this topic anyway, might as well tell her. I sighed before finally letting the words out. “I have a crush on Donghae.” There I said it.

“Obviously.” She said while rolling her eyes. She can really be y sometimes.

 “So, what’s Donghae-ssi like?” Bom said with furrowed brows.

“Hmmm…he’s good looking, gentleman, soft-spoken, smart, and really sweet.” I dreamily said while clasping my hands.

“Really? The way you describe him, it’s like he’s perfect or something.”

“He is!” I quipped. I felt my cheeks burning, blushing hard.  

“How about Jiyong oppa then?”

“What about him?”

“I think he likes you. I’ve been away for almost five years but I’m aware how special you are to him. If he only didn’t mention he has a girlfriend, I would even think he has finally man up and is courting you now.” Bom said knowingly.

“You watch way too many romantic films, Bommie.” I chuckled. “He doesn’t have any weird feelings for me; don’t put malice to his actions. He already has a girlfriend for Pete’s sake.”

Bom just shrugged her shoulders and continued her little interrogation, “So, this Donghae …is he courting you?”

“Actually, he already said he likes me and wants to court me!” I said excitedly. I can feel heat forming in my cheeks.

Bom giggled. I knew that Bom’s gonna let out a scream any moment now so I immediately covered . “Don’t tell anyone about this yet, especially Appa, arasso?” Bom nodded, smiling foolishly.

“Have you told oppa?” She asked.

“Not yet. I don’t know how to tell him. You know how overprotective he can be. Remember how he guarded me like hell when he found out that some of my classmates are planning to ask me out?”

Bom suddenly laughed so hard, cutting me off. “Neh. I remembered how you cried like a baby over the phone then. My ears hurt because of your wails.”

“Ya!” I slapped her arms lightly.

She just continued laughing, not minding my glares. I continued with my rants anyway. “He’s like... ahhh ani, he’s actually WORSE than appa for being so overprotective! I’m afraid he might do something stupid if I tell him. Besides, they’re competing as the class valedictorian. I know they somehow have off feelings towards each other.”

“Arasso. When do you plan to tell him then?” Bom stopped laughing, turning serious now.

“Hmmm…I haven’t decided yet. His reaction awhile ago is actually puzzling.” I cringed at the thought. “What if they’re really not in good terms? Jiyong might be mad at me.”

“He surely will if you won’t tell him early.” Bom said meaningfully. 

“Aissshhh…All right, all right. I’ll tell him when I find the right moment.” I said, feeling resigned.

 

 

 

 


A/N:
Im sorry if ever you think this story is a bit slow paced. I wanted to establish the relationship of the characters first and being a newbie that I am, Im still trying to figure out how to do it smoothly. Hope you’ll bear with me. Kamsahamnida! 

And oh! Some of you might be uncomfortable with Bom calling Jiyong oppa. I am too, actually. Kekeke. I’m just used with Bom having Jiyong as her dongsaeng. >.< Anyway, I'll be updating as soon as I can. Ciao!