Chapter 11

I’ll make you fall for me again

Dara’s POV

 

 

A loud applause filled the hall after Jiyong delivered his valedictory speech. I am seated with Bommie at the back near the isle, watching our seniors’ graduation program. Bom’s been staring to someone since we arrived and if my guts are right, it’s TOP oppa she’s ogling at. I looked back at Jiyong as he descends the stage. He looks very manly now and handsome, if I may add. He smiles lovingly at his family and then waves at us. I waved back. I am very proud of him. Who wouldn’t? He bested a thousand college graduates at a premier university! It’s almost a given that he’ll be very successful in his career. How I wish I have a brain just like his. Tch.

I glanced at his family members sitting in front, looking very proud of him. I zoomed in his dad’s face, searching if there’s a trace of satisfaction and pride on his face. I can’t help but look back four years ago.

To everyone’s surprise, Jiyong didn’t become the class valedictorian of his class in high school. We were all stunned when we learned that Donghae oppa actually beat him to it. I was actually feeling guilty about it since he might have not focused on his studies because of me, but he assured me that it’s not the case. Although I know that he’s disappointed too, he didn’t let it show. His family was also shocked when they first learned it and I heard from Minzy that their father was the most upset. Uncle has such high regard and expectations for his only son as his successor. I hope that he’s regain his trust and belief to Jiyong now that he’s proven himself in the university.

As for Donghae oppa, he studied abroad after graduation. I heard nothing from him since then. I did not bother asking CL about him because I don’t want to look like a complete fool. I’m glad that she also tried not to open any topic about him. It helped me to somehow move on.

After the little reminiscing, I tried to look for Jiyong in front but I can’t find him. I am very sure he’s supposed to be seated next to the other honor students.

“Looking for me?” I yelped as I heard him whisper from my behind. I looked back and saw this smug look in his face.

“Why are you here? You are supposed to be seated there.” I whispered back as I pointed the empty seat in front.

“Well, I decided to stay here with you. Mind if I sit beside you?” He asked as he moved closer to my side.

I nudged Bom and asked her to sit in a vacant seat next to her so I can move on her seat and let Jiyong sit in mine. She looked a bit confused after seeing Jiyong standing beside me but complied nonetheless.

“So, where’s my graduation gift?” He asked after settling down.

“Oh! You expect a gift from me?” I teased.

“Come on! I know you bought me something. Where is it?” He mindlessly inspected my bag and my seat.

“Stop that! Won’t you behave like a class valedictorian you’re supposed to be?” I sneered.  

“Please don’t tell me you came here empty handed.” He still won’t let go of the issue.

“Yes. I came here empty handed. Now, let’s focus on the final rites.” I said like a mother scolding her child.

“Stingy.” I heard him reply. He didn’t say anything after that but his face looks like he’s about to cry. What a baby! I suppressed a laugh and focused on the stage.

I still vividly remember that night when we went to Han River -- the very first time I rejected his love. And when I say first, of course there were many times after that. I can tell that he has matured enough since then until now. I want to believe that I’ve matured too. Although he insists I didn’t change much since high school. Hmmm… how many years has it been? Four years? Or five? He always says how much he loves me every single chance he gets. Not that I get mad though. I got used to it actually.

When I got home that day, I had a long talk with my dad. I came to understand then that as much as I want Jiyong to stop, I cannot force him to stop loving me if it’s what he feels. But my dad had an agreement with Jiyong not to force me to love him back. And that pretty much settles everything. I often feel guilty because since I don’t reciprocate his feelings, he never had a girlfriend since then. I thought I was being unfair to him and I might be robbing his opportunity to be happy with someone else. We have talked about it so many times before and he insisted he doesn’t mind.

I glanced at him again. I saw him listening to the MC with a serious face. I admit that my relationship with Jiyong somehow changed. With Bommie’s constant bugging, I am now seeing Jiyong in a different light. He’s no longer the guy I always picked fight with nor the friend I childishly piss. He’s now a responsible, romantic, and charming person I’ve grown to understand. It doesn’t change the fact though that I still don’t feel any ‘rainbows and unicorn’ or ‘butterfly in my stomach’ sort of thing for him. And he said he understands and is willing to wait. I’ve always liked that part of him.

“Liking what you see?” He said nonchalantly, still looking ahead.

“Not really.” I answered back.

“Why?” He stared at me and raised a brow.

“You’re getting uglier.” I said in a serious tone, staring back at him. I can tell that he was surprised with my answer and was about to talk again when Bom suddenly shushed us.

 


 

“Seriously Dara, you don’t have anything for me?” Jiyong incredulously asked as he leads me to our front door. The graduation party just ended and Jiyong decided to send me home. Bom got her own pad now so she’s no longer staying in our house.    

“Well, you have almost everything now. I don’t know what else to give you.” I replied as I walk inside the living area.

“You can give me your love if you want to.” He said jokingly.

“Ahhh.. Yeah. You have a point, you don’t have that yet. But… I’m sorry that you’ll have to stay in that special zone you’re in, if you know what I mean.” I winked and pat his back, as if cooing him. After so many years, this has become an inside joke for both of us.

“Fine.” He said dejectedly. “I guess I’ll have to go then. I wonder why I’ve been sticking with you when you’re still the insensitive Ssantoki I used to know. How could you not buy anything for your friend?”He murmured as he walks away.

I sneakily hugged him from behind, stopping him from his tracks.

“Let go. I don’t need your hug now. I need a tangible gift.” He whined.

“Tch. Fine!” I was about to let go when he suddenly held my hands on his waist, refusing to let go.

“On a second thought, I think I can work with a simple hug for now.” He then faced me and hugged me tightly. Hugging and some skinship aren’t really new to us since I don’t really feel awkward about it now. During the first year of our ‘courtship’, I was really uncomfortable even with slight touching of our skin but I eventually got used to it too. It often crosses my mind how he might be getting advantage of me already but realizing what he’s been doing for me – all the favors, patience and stuff – a simple skinship doesn’t really hurt.

“Hmmm… you changed your shampoo?” He asked.

I pushed him lightly and moved away. He just chuckled.

“Can I have a graduation kiss?” He asked playfully while peering into my eyes.

“Nope.” I said with finality. “But…you can have these.” I showed him an envelope I pulled out of my bag.

“What is this?”

“Open it.” I excitedly said. He opened it while I curiously observe his facial expression.

“A plane ticket?” He looked at me questioning.

“Yep. Four-day trip to Hawaii! Am I not awesome?” I exclaimed in excitement.

 “I don’t want to go to Hawaii.” He said, drowning my excitement altogether.

“Wait, WHAAAAATTTT?” I asked in disbelief. How could he not like my surprise! What a bummer.

“I have to work as soonest possible in dad’s company. You know that I don’t have much luxury of time to go in a vacation.” He said sadly. I know that he wants to go too but the family business is much more important to him now.

“I know you’d say that. Ahhh… I am really the very best friend you have in this world. Tch. What are you without me?” I said cockily.

“What do you mean?”

“Well, I’ve already pre-arranged everything. I have asked Auntie to ask Uncle’s permission and he said you can go. Just as simple as that. All you need to do is to go pack your bags and show yourself to the airport tomorrow and enjoy Hawaii. Won’t you give me a thank-you-because-I’m-awesome hug? Come on. Don’t be shy.” I teased but he still wouldn’t move on his spot.

“I still wouldn’t go.” He said seriously.

“Aissshhh. Waeyo? You are so hard to please. If you don’t really want then I’ll rebook it and give it to someone else. Give me that!” I tried to get the ticket from him but he pulled it away.

“I won’t go unless you’d come.”

That made me smile. This guy really has his ways to make me feel important.

I breathed out. “I am. Who said I’m not? I knew you can’t leave this country without me so figured I should come too. Besides, I don’t want you to stray in Hawaii looking like a poor lonely Korean boy.”

“Chincha?” His expression light up.

“Yep. So go home now and pack your bags. No need to fetch me up. I’ll see you in the airport tomorrow.” I said as I pushed his back, leading him to the front door.

After reaching the door, he looked at me and flashed his gentle smile. “Komawo.”

“Don’t mention it. Congratulations.” I smiled in return.

He was about to go when I shouted. “My graduation gift should be better than this, arasso? I’m already expecting about something grand.”

He just waved and smiled handsomely.

 

 

 

Bom’s POV

 

I dialed oppa’s number and after three rings, he picked it up. “Yoboseyo?” I heard him say.

“Oppa, did you like my gift?” I asked curiously. My heart is pounding from excitement and anxiety. I hope he liked my gift.

“Ahhh…neh. Thank you.” Top oppa replied.

“Not a convenient time to call?” I asked worriedly. He sounded like he’s doing something and wants to end the call immediately.

“I am in the middle of something. I’m sorry.”

“I see. I’ll just call you again later?” I asked again.

“Nope.” He replied almost instantly, making me more curious than I already am. “I’ll just call you.” He said and then ended the call. He didn’t even wait for me to say good bye. I stared at my phone sadly and sigh.

My relationship with oppa is a big, fat question mark. We are not officially dating, well, at least on his part. We’ve gotten close before his graduation, that was when our tutorials are about to end. He knows that I like him because I’ve been really straightforward about my feelings. He said that he likes me too but he doesn’t want to be committed. I took that as at least a positive response from him. Although we are not official, at least I get to be with him. I hoped then that maybe I could do something to change his mind… to love me that way I love him.

Since I know that oppa doesn’t like stupid girls, I studied even harder to qualify in the university he’s in. I successfully passed the admission exam and we met more frequently after that. But I soon found out that he’s also seeing other girls in the university aside from me. The first time I learned about it, I was devastated. I cried and cried until Dara gave a handful of lectures. She told me to stop seeing oppa and just focus on whatever I can lay my hands on. But I love him too much I didn’t listen. Or maybe I’m just that stupid.

Although I’ve been hearing a lot of rumors about his womanizing ways, I never had the guts to confront him about it. Well, simply because I don’t want him to leave me. Since he clarified to me from the very start that he doesn’t want to commit and I accepted that wholeheartedly, I guess that leaves me to a position where I cannot complain even if I want to. But I still hope he’d get to realize how much I love him… that one day he’d be serious about this relationship of ours. But I guess, at this point, I can only hope and wait.

I lay on my bed and drifted to sleep.

I don’t know how many hours I have been asleep until I felt someone laying on my bed. I immediately smiled upon smelling that familiar perfume. Realizing who it was, I opened my eyes and saw a handsome face just above me. 

“Did I wake you up?” He asked. 

“Hmmm…” I moved a little and cupped his face.

“I’ll be sleeping here tonight.” He said and then lay on my side.

I stared at him, contemplating if I should ask or just let it pass. I chose the former. “What caught you up awhile ago?” I bit my lower lip, afraid to upset him with my questioning.

“During the call?” He asked.

“Yep. But if you don’t want to answer it, it’s okay. I don’t really mind. Just curious.” I said defensively.

“Ahhh…my family went to my pad for a small celebration. I was talking with my brother and sister-in-law when you called.”  He said nonchalantly but since I was staring at him, I saw how he creased his brow for a moment.

“I see. Let’s sleep? We’ll be early tomorrow.” I said instead and rested on his chest. 

Had it been a normal relationship, I would feel bad that he didn’t invite me in that graduation party. Had it been a normal relationship, I would have expected him to introduce me to his family. But it’s not a normal relationship and I had to accept that.

When I was younger, I used to have a clear and beautiful perception of love. I used to believe in fairy tale type of love stories. A story between a man and a woman loving each other unconditionally – that’s the kind of love I wanted to have. But I obviously don’t have that. I tried many times to leave oppa, to go back to US and find myself another man, someone much better, someone who’d love only me, but I can’t. Yes, I guess it has been established by now that I’m a complete fool out of love.

My fascination of a beautiful love story is now directed towards Dara and Jiyong oppa. Since I cannot have it, I have done everything I can to help oppa with Dara. Theirs is a lovestory I wish I have. Dara just doesn’t realize it, but I believe she loves Jiyong oppa too.

I was pulled out of my reverie when I felt a small movement in the bed. I gazed at the face of the man sleeping soundly beside me again. I kissed his cheek, heaved a sigh, and went back to sleep.

 

 

 

Jiyong’s POV

 

“Hey! What is this?” I asked in disbelief. In front of me are the bastards, Bom, CL, Dara, and holy mojo…why is my sister here too?

“Surprised?” Dara smiled foolishly.

“You planned this, don’t you?” I snickered. “I thought you want us to have a vacation to relax?” I added.

 “Oppa, unnie actually asked for own opinion too. So, this isn’t entirely her idea.” Minzy butted in.

Oh. Kill me now. I already made plans last night to make this vacation memorable. Andweeeee!

“Hey, why do you have to be here?” I turned to the boys. I am throwing daggers at them for joining this trip. This is supposed to be a trip for me and Dara only! I am earnestly trying to send them my message through my mind. It was Seungri who answered.

“Well, I initially refused to come. But Dara said she won’t be joining if any one of us would not come.” He then looked at Dara who looked confused at what he said, and winked at her. The nerve of this bastard!

“I’m telling you now, you may go. Dara and I will enjoy our trip and you all may go on in whatever plans you have with your lives.” I walked near Dara, put my arms around her, and led her towards the departure area.

 “Bom, call your uncle and tell him that Jiyong wants to be with Dara alone. And please tell him that he has ert plans going on in his mind.” TOP said cooly.

I stopped and glared at them. I saw TOP smirked.  Okay, so, you all planned this all along huh. I thought.

“You don’t need to call. It’s fine with me. What are you all waiting for? Palli!” I exclaimed. 

 

 

I heard an ample laughter from the bastards afterwards. Aissshhhhh.

 

 


A/N: 

Annyeong! Been quite a while since my last update. 

Let me know your thoughts. Kamsahamnida! ^.^